PDA

View Full Version : Silk Hair Wraps and T Shirts plus air drying

karenkte
May 7th, 2017, 02:37 AM
I've got three questions.....on silk hair wraps, tshirt drying and air drying

I've been reading about silk hair wraps for a while now but they are very expensive to just try on a whim. So yesterday I bought some dupion silk and made my own hair wrap to sleep in. When I woke up this morning my hair felt amazing and best of all no tangles. However the silk I have isn't super soft so I started to read again and I've found there are so many different types of silk..some much softer and with different qualities than others....plus a massive range in price. Does anyone know which is the best type of silk to use for pillows and hair wraps?

I've also been experimenting with a tshirt to dry my hair. I've found it is quite absorbent but not so absorbent as a bath towel. But...if its going to do less damage to my hair I can live with that. I am now thinking of cutting up one of my old tshirts and sewing that into a hair wrap too. However, I've read conflicting reports. Some say tshirt drying is great...others say it can damage your hair.

On air drying I have tried that too and I'm not that keen on it as my hair looks better if I use a hairdryer. But I've been reading again conflicting reports. Some say air drying is the best way and least damaging to hair. Others say having hair wet for long lengths of time is not good and damaging. They suggest using a hairdryer on the lowest heat setting which I have started to do. I would be interested on opinion.s

Borgessa
May 7th, 2017, 03:24 AM
I use just a silk cap, I think the silk it self helps with static friction or satin is also good and a cheaper option.. I'm happy with the mulberry silk cap that I use which wasn't so expensive. I think the silk adds a lot of shine and condition to the hair, it does to mine anyway.

I have no experience with using a t-shirt in my hair, but i use a microfibre turban. I scrunch my hair rather than rub it.

Heat is bad for your hair when blow drying or flat ironing, period. There is no way around that, but you can use the cold/cool air setting, I've seen some folks speed up the air drying process with a fan.

hayheadsbird
May 7th, 2017, 03:32 AM
Silk wraps - I just tried a silk sleep cap for the first time last nigh as well. I didn't expect it to stay on all night, but it did. This morning my hair was fine, I mysteriously ended up with a side part, sonive just rolled with that today, but no tangled hairs. I'll formulate a stinger opinion when I've had more time to trial. I do use a silk pillow case, but as I also have been wearing my hair in braids or a high bun to sleep I'm not entirely sure on the difference it's made. My hair is smoother than it was. I like it though so I'm not about to give it up!
No idea on the best, my guess would be one with a satin weave, and pure silk.

I've never used a t shirt to dry. Moved from regular towels to microfiber. Def less weight and pulling on my hair. Now using a microfiber hair wrap towel, and it's even better. After 20 mins wrapped up the bulk of the wet is gone, so it air drys faster.

I've never been a regular user of hair dryers, normally air dry. If I use a heat protectant my hair ends up looking worse. If I want it to dry straighter I'll comb as it's drying, if I want it with waves I'll scrunch as it drys or just leave it alone. 'Fanning the strands' def speeds up air drying for me, generally will be 90% dry in a couple of hours anyway. If I put it up when damp it will still be damp 24 hours later.
I think regular use of a hair dryer would eventually fry my hair, as I'd be too impatient to dry on cool. Letting it do its thing while I get on with other stuff is more efficient for me.

lapushka
May 7th, 2017, 04:17 AM
I've also been experimenting with a tshirt to dry my hair. I've found it is quite absorbent but not so absorbent as a bath towel. But...if its going to do less damage to my hair I can live with that. I am now thinking of cutting up one of my old tshirts and sewing that into a hair wrap too. However, I've read conflicting reports. Some say tshirt drying is great...others say it can damage your hair.

On air drying I have tried that too and I'm not that keen on it as my hair looks better if I use a hairdryer. But I've been reading again conflicting reports. Some say air drying is the best way and least damaging to hair. Others say having hair wet for long lengths of time is not good and damaging. They suggest using a hairdryer on the lowest heat setting which I have started to do. I would be interested on opinion.s

It's not that bath towels (terry cloth) is *damaging*, it's that it can cause frizz in textured hair. Microfiber towels are also good, but if you style your hair the right way, it doesn't matter one bit what you use, IMMHO. I tend to switch between my microfiber towels and my t-shirt towels. I find that I need to leave the t-shirt on about 10 min. longer (so around the 40 min. mark) before going to do my styling.

I tend to use all methods, I towel-dry for 30-40 min., then airdry for 2-4H, then diffuse for about 5 min. as that's all it needs by then. I use the diffuser on the middle speed and the warm setting (cooler is for summer).

diddiedaisy
May 7th, 2017, 04:34 AM
I swapped to a Tshirt for drying and a silky pillowcase. I have found that I get a lot less splits. Using a hairdryer is only damaging if you use it on supersonic speed with supersonic heat, also you need to watch for mechanical damage if you are constantly brushing whilst drying.

lapushka
May 7th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Yes, you need to know how to use a blow dryer properly.

High heat is excluded! Using it on the lowest heat setting is recommended. If you generally can hold your hand in the airstream for a long time without it burning, it is fine to use on the hair too. So test that.

I would also use it without a round brush or paddle brush, just run the air through your hair from top to bottom (not the other way around), and don't blow the hair around either. That's all fine with short hair, but long hair can get tangled that way.

ZeppHead
May 7th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Anything and everything is able to cause damage to your hair. Scary isn't it? I would think its how you use it. I use a silk sleep cap and it was only 12$. I also use a regular towel to dry my hair but I do literally only blot the top of my head and squeeze the lengths twice then let it alone. If you are not scrubbing and rubbing your hair to dry it I would call it safe. I have tried the tshirt and microfiber towels and found no difference to my hair. Just be extra gentle and do not rustle it up.

remlapthide
May 7th, 2017, 08:04 AM
I have no experience with silk caps however I do use and old t-shirt to dry my hair as I found a normal towel was too heavy and rough. I just wrap my hair in the shirt and leave it for about 30 mins then it is dry enough to let air dry.

lizardspots
May 7th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I have never tried a sleep cap before, to be honest I would feel a bit silly wearing one, I reckon my other half would laugh at me... :P

I normally blot my hair dry gently with an ordinary towel, then let it air dry. I sometimes end up needing the blow dryer (used on cool setting) if I'm in a rush.

sumidha
May 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Charmeuse is the informal gold standard for sleep caps and pillowcases but if what you've got now is working for you I'd say keep using it. :)

MoonRabbit
May 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I wear a satin sleep cap only when I want to preserve my braid for the next day. I only tuck my length in it, because the band around the head caused breakage at my temples. If you have a silk pillow case then that will do all the work for the rest of the non tucked hair.

My cap was from Walmart for 2 dollars and my "pillow case" is actually a silk robe, also from walmart for 5 dollars, I put it over my pillow and use the waist belt to secure it to my pillow.

You say your hair looks better when you use a hairdryer..Could this be because you are trying to manipulate your natural texture and hair type? I always thought my hair looked better from heat drying, until I learned that I was actually treating my hair like it was straight instead of wavy. Now that I found a proper routine for my type, I can air dry with great results.

Ophidian
May 7th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I use a big square silk scarf tied on to sleep. I've found them at thrift shops before for cheap. It took me a while to find a way to tie it that was comfortable and secure but now I wear it every night and love it.

Rebel Rebel
May 7th, 2017, 01:29 PM
My hair is babyfine and tangles/breaks easily. Using a silk pillowcase and silk cap have been a major help with my hair type. I only wish I had bought them years ago. From what I've read, Mulberry silk is ideal for hair and skin. I can definitely feel and see a diffference in my hair using these. Smoother and fresher looking. My silk cap was a little pricey ( $55? ) but so worth it. I really like the Oosilk brand pillowcases I found on amazon.

Agnes Hannah
May 8th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Hi karenkte, I use a silk sleepcap and a silk pillowcase just for added insurance. I made both, I use the finest silk I can get, I think its charmeruse, but not quite sure. The silk you can paint on is also good because it is so fine and lightweight. I don't use a hairdryer, not sure where my old one is right now, and flat irons, what are they? I have microfibre hair turban towels to dry my hair and these methods have taken me from APL to Classic. I'm a finey, a super finey so my hair needs all the protection I can give it.

I have used t shirts too but not very often. They seem ok. When my hair is damp, I airdry it and it takes a couple of hours or three to dry. Then I put it up in a claw or plait it for sleep. The plait is unfinished. Hope this helps!

WavyWannabe
May 9th, 2017, 07:51 AM
I use a cotton tee to "plop" my hair after scrunching some aloe vera gel and jojoba oil in, for around half an hour. It absorbs most of the water, and I end up with nice waves, sometimes almost spirals. Then it takes a few hours to air dry.
I don't think a t-shirt could damage your hair if you use it to dry your hair, it does tend to draw moisture out, yet for drying this is what is expected from it.

Joyful Mystery
May 9th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I wrap my hair in a Turbie Twist after washing it for about 20 minutes, then a white cotton t-shirt for about 40 minutes. I'll occasionally remove the t-shirt and use it to gently squeeze the water out. Then I let air dry after detangling. My hair takes about 4 hours to air dry. I don't find this damaging at all.

I think a hair dryer is fine to use as long as it's on a safe setting, and used in a safe manner, to avoid mechanical damage.

I use a satin sleep cap for bedtime; I find it minimizes tangles.