PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Plopping

likelikepenny
May 6th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I had mentioned this technique I developed over in the 3's thread and Arctic encouraged me to make a thread about it, so here it is!

The reason why I developed this method was because I needed a way to soak up extra moisture from my hair without making it frizzy while simultaneously getting it to lay the way I want. My hair generally stays where I put it, so if I plop (upside down) it's going to want to stay on top of my head! This may change as I gain more length however.

Reverse plopping follows the same method as regular, the only difference is that it's backwards. Rather than bending over and placing a t-shirt over my hair and wrapping it, I lean back and catch my hair in the t-shirt, kind of like a pocket, wrap it and secure it by my forehead.

Hopefully that explains it properly, and if not, I can always making a video about it.

Note: If you're looking for volume, this may not be the method for you. I like this method because I already have tons of it and would like to tone it down a little.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2017, 02:40 PM
That makes a lot of sense. I kind of do this when I tie an old t- shirt over my sleep cap at night to sleep. I also have it cover my eyes, so it's also a blindfold. I don't usually do it with wet hair , but sometimes it can be a bit dampish, it's great for enhancing waviness in a frizz-free way. I hadn't thought of it as reverse plopping :)

misspriss
May 6th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I've done kind of halfway this, instead of bending over forward I lie down on the bed so it's at the crown instead of in the front. When it is longer, I think I will try this method!

wispe
May 6th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Oh! I do this when I use my turbie instead of my pillowcase - I catch my hair in the 'wrong end' before I pull it over my head, and secure as normal. If I plop my hair on top of my head I can sometimes get weird partings at my cowlick and it will tangle and stand up at the scalp when I let it down to finish air drying.

lapushka
May 6th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Nice technique! I am used to washing my hair bent over, and the styling of it probably won't change, but I'm going to keep this technique in mind. Thanks for posting about it! :D

olivetime
May 6th, 2017, 05:12 PM
This is what I do too!

MoonRabbit
May 6th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try it out.

lithostoic
May 6th, 2017, 07:15 PM
I get a crapload of frizz and weird partings when I plop the regular way. I've been doing it this way for a while!

Arctic
May 7th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I had a moderate success with this, enough that I am going to test it out some more. Normal plopping never works for me.

Those of you who get weird parts and/or have cowlicks, any tips how to avoid them? My go to method is fluffing my hair at the crown (where my problem spot is) several times as it dries, but with any method encouraging my waves - this one included - I can't do that (my canopy has super wimpy waves that straighten very easily). I have sometimes tried clipping the crown area and letting it air dry like that but it lenghtens the drying time by hours. I do have diffuser but it's never been very helpful with the double crown cow lick problem for some reason.

lapushka
May 7th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I had a moderate success with this, enough that I am going to test it out some more. Normal plopping never works for me.

Those of you who get weird parts and/or have cowlicks, any tips how to avoid them? My go to method is fluffing my hair at the crown (where my problem spot is) several times as it dries, but with any method encouraging my waves - this one included - I can't do that (my canopy has super wimpy waves that straighten very easily). I have sometimes tried clipping the crown area and letting it air dry like that but it lenghtens the drying time by hours. I do have diffuser but it's never been very helpful with the double crown cow lick problem for some reason.

This is something that -unfortunately- gets better with length. At APL and bra strap, my cowlicks still bothered me a bit, less so at bra strap than at APL, but now at hip+, it's fine.

Arctic
May 7th, 2017, 09:59 AM
That might be a reason enough for me to change my length goals then :D

rmani
May 7th, 2017, 07:35 PM
This is popular in south India! My MIL does this with her classic 3c hair but instead of a pocket she makes a cinnabun with her hair wrapped in a t-shift or cotton cloth. She will wear it for a few hours and then out comes her gorgeous curls.

oatmeal1991
May 7th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I do something similar! My hair looks awful plopped at this length, it only works when my hair is about shoulder length or shorter. Great of you to share, it seems like many more folks could benefit from trying this over traditional plopping.

Arctic
May 8th, 2017, 02:28 PM
I think any type of plopping just isn't working for me. I tried this the second time, trying to combine my normal root fluffind with this, and the end results were that neither worked as they should.

If there wasn't my double crown this method could possibly work nicely for me. I guess pinning the crown area together before plopping would be a solution but I've tried that in the past and it makes the drying time of that area last for an eternity, so it's not really an option.

I like how the waves it gives are less frizzy than with the normal plopping.

likelikepenny
May 8th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I think any type of plopping just isn't working for me. I tried this the second time, trying to combine my normal root fluffind with this, and the end results were that neither worked as they should.

If there wasn't my double crown this method could possibly work nicely for me. I guess pinning the crown area together before plopping would be a solution but I've tried that in the past and it makes the drying time of that area last for an eternity, so it's not really an option.

I like how the waves it gives are less frizzy than with the normal plopping.

Sorry to hear that Arctic. Maybe you'll be the one to develop a new technique for this one :p

Hay_jules
May 8th, 2017, 09:16 PM

I do the same thing, try to fluff it a little by raking my fingers around my crown as it dries. If i plop normally there's no rescuing it. My waves/curls are quite wimpy too. Lapushka, good to know it'll get better as it grows.

MoonRabbit
May 26th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Tried this the other day. It really helped with my baby hairs, they seemed to stay down more. But it did deflate my waves a lot. I think next time I try this I will have to scrunch my hair before plopping.

reilly0167
September 13th, 2017, 07:01 AM
I gave plopping a try ( not the reverse) I did twice and I love what it does, I can't believe what took me sooooo long to do this:) no more walking around with wet hair especially when it gets chilly, I don't have to scrunch constantly and trying give volume as it dries, and its way more defined this method does it for me:) definitely has a permanent place in my regimen.

Arciela
September 13th, 2017, 09:29 AM
I do this too! My hair does the SAME exact thing. If I plop..it wants to stay exactly where it is! Then it just turns into this tangled mess. So I pretty much do the resverse plop and it works well :flower: