PDA

View Full Version : What's more important to you...?

lottiealice
May 5th, 2017, 08:30 PM
When it comes to your hair, what do you value more between length and thickness? Of course, I think a lot of people would love very long, very thick hair but if you had to sacrifice some length for thickness or vice versa which would you prioritise and why? I'm curious.

Borgessa
May 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM
My hair is very thin anyway, so length. I don't have a choice. It is what it I guess :)

Xan
May 5th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I love to gain length but I hate to see taper so it's a battle.

CoconutAubrey
May 5th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Length. Without a doubt. You can always get extensions for thickness. Sure you can get them for length but I would rather have long thin hair.

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Aside from growing out my layers, there was nothing else I can do to increase my thickness, especially having mostly fine silver now.
But I can encourage growth....so LENGTH is #1 for me.

spidermom
May 6th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Length at one time. Now I'm enjoying thickness. I don't have to choose one, do I?

hayheadsbird
May 6th, 2017, 01:08 AM
At the moment, length. It's thick enough, and if it was a. It thinner o could prob manage more buns with it. I have to wait for length to counteract the thickness!

Siri
May 6th, 2017, 01:10 AM
My hair is waist length I would be happy to have it no longer then this if only i could get it thicker. Since I can't get it thicker I'll keep it's length going.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 6th, 2017, 01:28 AM
You can't choose your thickness but you can choose your length, for the most part, so, length it is for me.

Shiranshoku
May 6th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I actually value thickness more. I lost a lot of it postpartum, and I have this odd layer of regrowth now.

Thickness is harder to gain than length, so I cherish it more.

littlestarface
May 6th, 2017, 01:41 AM
Length. As everyone can see from my pictures my hair is very thinned at the bottom but i'll never cut it short and it's gonna grow anyway so why try n stop it.

eladriel
May 6th, 2017, 01:54 AM
Length, until I reach waist (because anything shorter than that feels ''too short''). After reaching waist I'm gonna maintain and focus on thickness.

lizardspots
May 6th, 2017, 02:10 AM
I am nowhere near my goal length, so I will decide during my hair growth journey whether length or thickness is more important! I suspect probably length, since my hair is and always will be thin.

mermaid lullaby
May 6th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Thickness is important to me.

Doom
May 6th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Thickness, because at this stage it's something I can control. A year and a month ago I had barely reached APL, then I found myself wanting to try an emo cut, so I did. I found myself with lots of layers, and I'm still growing them out (last week I cut 5 cm to thicken my hemline, and I'm planning to do it again after growing 5 cm more). Maybe, when I get a blunt hemline, my priorities will switch.

school of fish
May 6th, 2017, 06:06 AM
I actually find that a hard question to answer, because I've worked the last few years toward increasing both at the same time - getting to the length I want while growing out layers to thicken the hemline.

I'm now at my goal length -TBL - so while I'm not chasing length anymore, I'm unwilling at this stage to cut it back substantially to increase the hem thickness. I've been microtrimming frequently over the last 3 or 4 years so the thickening has been happening incrementally all along, and I got to TBL by increments as well.

I think that once my shortest layers are within 2 or 3 inches of the hem I might be inclined to cut it back to even everything up, but I have many more months to go before I'm there - to cut back now to the shortest layer would send me to waist, and to only chop 2-3" wouldn't gain my hem thickness enough to make it satisfying.

So I'm not sure which I'm prioritizing... my length because I'm maintaining it, or my thickness because I'm pursuing it? :p I guess it's kind of both ;)

Garnetgem
May 6th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Thickness for me as i have parted with length to have thickness before...my mum cut a good few inches and was reluctant asking "Are you sure its so long" i was like yes cut away i would rather the thickness..i went from TBL to above waist that time..

Aunt Rapunzel
May 6th, 2017, 07:45 AM
It's a tossup for me. I want the length, but I want to keep my hemline even and thick, too.

White
May 6th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I prefer balance between the two. Since I have thin(ish?) straight hair, I don't like fairytale ends, they look good to me only on curly hair, so I try to keep my hemline tidy. On the other side, since I wear nautilus bun almost every day, I like some taper, since my hair is quite slippery and I need the ends to be slightly thinner, because it won't stay up.

ZeppHead
May 6th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Thickness. I have super thin hair and nothing has changed that. I would rather have shorter, thicker hair than longer hair with my thickness now. I am trying to gain some thickness by maintaining for a bit before I start growing longer, fingers crossed, it'll work!

oatmeal1991
May 6th, 2017, 09:13 AM
For myself, thickness. My hair is thick and very fine, so if I were to loose thickness I would loose the little volume that I have. I've seen plenty of fine and/or thin hair that is beautiful! But I have a small head, and my thick hair adds bulk and helps me feel less self conscious about it (though I'm sure I'm the only one criticizing my head size :rolleyes:)

MotherofJames
May 6th, 2017, 09:22 AM
For me, length :) I guess we all want what we can't have . Haha

ghanima
May 6th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Thickness, hands down. Like others observed, it's not something one can do that much about, but whatever I can do, I'll do it.

Arctic
May 6th, 2017, 10:14 AM
It looks like many people answering have overlooked this pretty important condition: "if you had to sacrifice some length for thickness or vice versa which would you prioritise and why?". Take length, lose thickness - take thickness, lose length.

school of fish
May 6th, 2017, 10:43 AM
It looks like many people answering have overlooked this pretty important condition: "if you had to sacrifice some length for thickness or vice versa which would you prioritise and why?". Take length, lose thickness - take thickness, lose length.

That's what I was trying to get at with my own answer ;) But I guess I was responding with regards to what I *actually* have on my head, rather than a more theoretically-based approach...

So back to my answer - I suppose at the moment I'm sacrificing the ability to have my thick hemline for the current length, which means it looks like I'm prioritizing length right now... but once my hemline fills to a point, I'll likely sacrifice a bit of length to attain the thickness, so the priority will shift to thickness :)

In the theoretical world, I think I'd likely prefer longer, thinner hair than shorter, thicker hair... :)

Deborah
May 6th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Thickness is genetic. Length is just a matter of time for most people.

ElisabethS
May 6th, 2017, 01:53 PM
thickness!! there is nothing i can do about thin hair, but i can always let it grow :)

The Maple Leaf
May 6th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Length. As long as it's not falling out and as long as I can't see my scalp, I don't care how thick it is.

Nettyx
May 6th, 2017, 03:11 PM
This is an easy one for me as I have already sacrificed length for thickness as I cut back to MBL from hip as I would rather have less taper. I think I am a bit unusual that way though reading other's posts.

Aredhel
May 6th, 2017, 04:59 PM
I feel like on me, a ton of thickness wouldn't look good without length. So I'd probably have to go for length.

diddiedaisy
May 6th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I would choose thickness, but if I didn't have problematic hair it would be length. :)

savfairy
May 6th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I think thick hair is beautiful, but long hair is something I've always admired a bit more. So I choose length, though I wish I could have both!

gthlvrmx
May 6th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I made a choice to focus on length rather than on thickness when I started growing from bald. Whatever thickness I have left is whatever I have left, I might as well try aiming for my dream length now than later!

florafox
May 6th, 2017, 10:52 PM
Length. My hair is very dense and thick with fine strands. I don't want to lose thickness *knocks on woods* but I wouldn't mind medium density if that were to happen over time if I can have long length :)

Blondieee
May 7th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Thickness. I've always thought long hair is so beautiful, but ever since I've had health problems and lost practically all my hair and have barely any hair and it's so thin, I would pick thickness over length any day.

Lady Stardust
May 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM
At the moment I'm prioritising length over thickness, as I'm impatient to get my hair to shoulder length or longer so that it can flip up in any direction it chooses. I currently have a bob and hate having to make it look neat/styled.

At some point I'll switch and will sacrifice length for thickness. My goal is to have a blunt hemline to make my fine hair look thicker. I have a fair bit of new growth coming through following postpartum shed, and I'm still growing out the shorter layers of a pixie cut, so thickness might elude me for a while. The question is when to switch...as soon as I start prioritising thickness I'll effectively be choosing to "stick" at that length for a while.

Juanita
May 7th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Length. Fine thin hair that's never going to be thicker . Medications and menopause have made me lose over half my thickness.

EssentialJo
May 7th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Hands down length. I have learned to appreciate a <2 inch ponytail circumference. :)

WavyWannabe
May 8th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Length. I enjoy the growth process, caring for hair to keep it "healthy" and noticing new growth, treating it as if it was some rare flower or tree.

Cherriezzzzz
May 8th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I have very thick hair and I actually prefer thinner. I once lost a ton of hair after a pregnancy and it was "only" a quarter sized ponytail and that was heaven for me! I love thinner hair that has that light but bouncy quality to it. Anyone can grow their hair so I prefer to choose my thickness! If I could have about half less then I do now, that would be good for me. So I don't care if hair is thick, give me length anyday!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 13th, 2017, 04:27 AM
I have had thickness and broke a lot of grips. Thickness is something that you either have or not and which changes. Length is more attainable. Having length is what I work towards the thickness would be a bonus. I rather have length and can hope for thickness. I shall not cut to attain thickness as cutting will not add another extra hair on my head.

Wreckinbelle
May 13th, 2017, 11:45 AM
I have definitely sacrificed length for thickness this past year, but after seeing so many great heads of hair with fairy tail ends on LHC I'm totally regretting that now! I'm going for length from now on :)
I'm never gonna hit my goal if I keep fricken cutting it! ;)

moon_witch
May 13th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I would probably have to go with length. Yes, I would love to have thick hair but I don't really care about short thick hair (on me) :o

lapushka
May 13th, 2017, 02:22 PM
When it comes to your hair, what do you value more between length and thickness? Of course, I think a lot of people would love very long, very thick hair but if you had to sacrifice some length for thickness or vice versa which would you prioritise and why? I'm curious.

There definitely was a time where I would have chosen length over thickness in a heartbeat. Now? Nope. I have gotten to love this thickness, and there's even thicker hair, I've learned, so that made me feel not so alone in the constantly-breaking-hair accessories department. LOL The number of French barrettes I broke when I was young and in my teens!

Nope. I think I need *at least* hip length and my current thickness, and then I would be happy.

lovetoread
May 13th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Oh, that's a tough one! I have thin hair already and while I would love for it to be thicker, I wouldn't like it as much if I had the thickness without the length, so I guess length it is!

Todd
May 13th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Mine's always been fine, thin and straight. Thickness is just a rumor to me! So.... I suppose length it is!

WillOTree
May 13th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Thickness, I never thought my hair would get as thin as it did. I'd rather have short, thicker hair, than long hair that's thin ( for me, due to pp shedding, damaged hair).

truepeacenik
May 13th, 2017, 09:59 PM
I'm so close to knee that I'd sacrifice a bit of thickness to get those last couple inches.

alix.b789
May 14th, 2017, 09:45 AM
I would LOVE thicker hair. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately.

Dwemeri
May 14th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Thickness is more important to me personally. My hair has always been thick and although it does make it hard to deal with sometimes, I'd be sad if I lost it. I'm also not growing my hair out right now so length isn't a concern.

I think longer, thinner hair often looks beautiful on other people though.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 14th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Length... hardly anyone notices the thickness of hair. Unless you're thinning so much that you see scalp. Thin/fine long hair is beautiful. Sometimes I feel there is not enough appreciation, sometimes here, for fine hair.

esfand
May 14th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Thickness. :)

Flipgirl24
May 14th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Probably thickness. While I like length, I don't want to have hair that is thin at the ends because it's too long, if that makes sense.

poli
May 14th, 2017, 11:54 PM
I have to say length. I have layers and growing them out is a pain in the behind, but still I grow towards length goals rather than cutting and gaining thickness.

trolleypup
May 15th, 2017, 01:06 AM
Well, I have the length with fairytale ends, so thickness...but if I could have more length with the same proportionate tape, definitely length!

Dendra
May 15th, 2017, 05:01 AM
I love both. Long thick hair is ideal, isn't it. However, I'm more likely to admire someone else's hair if it is long and fine (as long as it is in good condition) than if it is short and thick, so I'd have to say LENGTH!

Dark40
May 20th, 2017, 03:11 PM
I would say I love to gain length. My hair is already thick naturally.

Ondine11
May 20th, 2017, 04:25 PM
That's a toughie, since my hair had thinned out badly due to a hormone imbalance, causing me to go for a big chop. Now that it is growing out, it s a medium qty: I never had thick hair. Each strand is fine, with a medium fullness. I CRAVE length, BUT, since it is so fine & would look like a tattered rag if it were to thin out, I have to avoid layers & keep the cut quite blunt. I would HAVE to sacrifice length for thickness BUT don't ask me to be happy about it!

Corvana
May 21st, 2017, 03:59 AM
Gosh I'm not sure... If I don't count evening out my undergrowth, then length for sure. I'm mostly satisfied with my hair thickness. But if I have to leave that shorter than the rest? Then thickness. It's just too uneven for me to be happy with!

SnowDancer
May 23rd, 2017, 03:30 PM
I'd go with the length. My hair is pretty darn thick as it is.