PDA

View Full Version : I wanna buy these shears...

FrayedFire
May 5th, 2017, 07:11 PM
https://www.cherrybrook.com/hauptner-straight-scissors/

But I don't wanna drop 40$ on something that isn't decent... Only would be used for S&D on full and new moons, so I don't overdo it.

Anyone familiar enough with hair scissors to reassure me that it's not a waste of money cause my only income is 25$ a week at the moment but I'm SO IMPATIENT.

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Personally....I have fine silver and have had no problems with the scissors sold in the hair accessory sections of my grocery or department store :shrug:
They have stayed sharp and I have never had a split end, so *I* wouldn't spend that amount with my retirement pension :wink:

akurah
May 6th, 2017, 12:49 AM
What is so special about these to make you want them? That might make us be able to make better informed suggestions (ie, 'absolutely get it" vs "not worth it"). I'm not familiar with the brand.

I use $10 conair scissors. If I were to splurge, my first thought would be to consider sewing scissors (specifically gingher brand) because my mother is a seamstress, and those scissors were razor sharp. And heaven help you if you used it on anything other than fabric or thread.

Siri
May 6th, 2017, 01:13 AM
I just use regular sewing scissors, they do a good job for me.

FrayedFire
May 6th, 2017, 12:38 PM
What is so special about these to make you want them? That might make us be able to make better informed suggestions (ie, 'absolutely get it" vs "not worth it"). I'm not familiar with the brand.

I use $10 conair scissors. If I were to splurge, my first thought would be to consider sewing scissors (specifically gingher brand) because my mother is a seamstress, and those scissors were razor sharp. And heaven help you if you used it on anything other than fabric or thread.

They come in a shorter length. Easier to get into my hair and snip splits. I tried embroidery scissors, but I think they were too dull. I can't find any hair scissors that aren't more than 6 inches long or less than 40$ that I can be sure are sharp enough to not create more issues.

rusika1
May 6th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Not worth it. Expensive scissors are for people who will be using them all the time, you won't be. (If the cost is equal to two weeks worth of income, then they are expensive.)

You should be able to pick up a pair of Fiskar 4 inch embroidery scissors for around $10, and as long as you don't use them for anything else, they should be sharp enough. As akurah mentioned, Gingher is a great brand. They make 4 inch embroidery scissors too, but they're more expensive than the Fiskars.

lapushka
May 6th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Maybe look at these:
https://themanechoice.com/products/shear-surgical-precision-professional-cut-split-end-eliminator

I've heard some good things about them from various YT channels. Maybe look that up.

I have iii hair, I need sharp scissors, so I invested in an "Ultron" pair, which is a European brand of pro shears. I got a model that cost around €50 and after 10 years they are still as sharp as ever. Regular drugstore brands would "saw" through my hair, these cut through my hair like a knife does butter. That is the difference between a regular "good pair" and better shears. They are Japanese steel (don't get these on ebay).

Kat
May 7th, 2017, 07:10 AM

I kept wondering if I could use embroidery/thread scissors on my hair... my mom got me a cute pair of the stork design 'cause I love it, but i have so many scissors I never use them for thread, so I figured I might as well use them for hair! But I had read conflicting things on this...

I have the Tweezerman 2000 shears... only about 6 inches long (some Amazon reviews feel they're too short) and got good reviews here and on Amazon. Not very expensive. I've personally only used them once, and haven't really a clue how to evaluate them (haven't looked since my trim; my hair likes being damaged as if damage is in style, so not sure I could blame the shears for any splits I find), but I did buy based on others' positive reviews.