PDA

View Full Version : Dry itchy scalp

ghanima
May 5th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I wash once a week using sulfate shampoo, method WCC. Around day 4-5 my scalp gets dry and itchy. I seem not to produce any sebum! As far as I can tell there is no dandruff. The same thing happened with CO once a week (but I don't know if that was just my scalp adapting to CO, I abandoned the experiment after 2 weeks). Non-sulfate shampoos give me scalp build-up and some minor dandruff.

Maybe I should just go for bi-weekly washes? my hair could go even longer than a week though.
I wonder if there is anything lenitive I could apply to the scalp when it gets so dry, I'm afraid of using oils because of possible shedding. Maybe rosmarin tea or some essential oils? maybe apply conditioner to the whole head instead of from ears down?

Deborah
May 5th, 2017, 03:51 PM
If I were you I would try the CO washing again. It should leave your scalp less dry than shampoo.

lapushka
May 5th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I wash once a week using sulfate shampoo, method WCC. Around day 4-5 my scalp gets dry and itchy. I seem not to produce any sebum! As far as I can tell there is no dandruff. The same thing happened with CO once a week (but I don't know if that was just my scalp adapting to CO, I abandoned the experiment after 2 weeks). Non-sulfate shampoos give me scalp build-up and some minor dandruff.

Maybe I should just go for bi-weekly washes? my hair could go even longer than a week though.
I wonder if there is anything lenitive I could apply to the scalp when it gets so dry, I'm afraid of using oils because of possible shedding. Maybe rosmarin tea or some essential oils? maybe apply conditioner to the whole head instead of from ears down?

If sulfate-free is not for you, I would certainly not CO-wash either. Maybe try washing every 10 days first, then see how long you can stretch further. I do have to admit, I am oily, and I have been able to stretch to a week. My "flakes", if I have some that week, normally show up Thursday/Friday, the same day my hair goes a bit oily.

So maybe it's not "dry"?

That was the most confusing thing for me with my SD, I mean I *knew* I had oily hair, so it couldn't be from dryness, so... but that is perhaps the most confusing thing for people who are new to this.

Are you sure it's not SD?

akurah
May 5th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Have you tried ACV rinses ? I have absurdly itchy skin for reasons unrelated to wash duration (my body apparently produces too much histamine, just because it can without any allergens causing it), buuuut ACV helps me significantly, and may help for itching that is caused by different reasons than my problem. I use approximately 2 tbsp ACV for every 32 oz water if memory serves. You don't have to wash to do such a rinse, you can do it as you see fit with or without washing

Insofar as dryness, have you consider deliberately adding oil like coconut? It may enable you to stretch your washing as your want to. Rinsing your hair without washing may help too.

Anje
May 5th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Seems to me that if your scalp is dry and not flakey, you hardly need to wash it. Maybe just try rinsing instead to freshen it and get a little moisture there?

EssentialJo
May 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Agree with both akurah and Anje on rinsing. You sound like a great candidate for water only washing. I've been getting good results from it and also seem to produce very little (if any?) sebum.

Before that, I used to put mild hand/body lotion on my scalp and hair as a quasi leave in. That may not be for you but just mentioning just in case it is, lol.

ghanima
May 6th, 2017, 04:14 AM
Thank you all for the advice, I may have been misguiding as today I asked a friend to give a good look to the scalp, and it is more flakey than I thought. Not big flakes, just tiny ones. Now, I don't know if it's something that only came up today (it's wash day). Next week I'll have it checked all days of the week.
Today the scalp feels better. That's something I have observed other times, it flares up in the second part of the week and then partly calms down towards the end.

Meanwhile I will go through your various recommendations, see what happens.
Lapushka, if it's SD flares, should the scalp be red?

lapushka
May 6th, 2017, 05:12 AM
Lapushka, if it's SD flares, should the scalp be red?

Not always. I sometimes only have flakes. I can still get away with H&S then. When it gets worse, itchies go along with the flakes, and when it gets even worse there's redness. It's when it's *bad* and I can't avoid the medicated shampoo at all, but usually when I start itching I break out the Nizoral also.

ghanima
May 15th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I resolved my problem by applying the first conditioner (I do WCC) also on the scalp. I have always applied conditioner allover my head (scalp included) until recently, so that's what it wanted it seems! on another note I just found out that my son has some SD! so I began to read the SD thread.

lapushka
May 15th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I resolved my problem by applying the first conditioner (I do WCC) also on the scalp. I have always applied conditioner allover my head (scalp included) until recently, so that's what it wanted it seems! on another note I just found out that my son has some SD! so I began to read the SD thread.

Yes, do read it through, and any questions you have, we'll be happy to answer (I have SD too). There is a big difference between just dry scalp and SD. In SD the flaking is not from the scalp being dry, so don't be fooled into thinking the scalp needs moisture, like an oil, or conditioner (that's exactly what it doesn't need). In SD it is important to keep the scalp squeaky clean. When there's flare-ups it's necessary to use a medicated shampoo, but when it is all settled down, keeping the scalp fresh and clean is the best way to go. HTH! :) Good luck reading the SD thread. :) :thumbsup:

ghanima
May 15th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Yes, exactly, his dandruff has a completely different look than the one I had, greasy and sort of yellowish, and the pieces are big. Luckily it's in an area where it's not normally visible. I hope to find a way to keep it under control without too much need for medicated shampoos!

lapushka
May 15th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Yes, exactly, his dandruff has a completely different look than the one I had, greasy and sort of yellowish, and the pieces are big. Luckily it's in an area where it's not normally visible. I hope to find a way to keep it under control without too much need for medicated shampoos!

Please don't shy away from medicated shampoos. If you have SD and you have a flare-up, you *need* it. Trust me on that. The itchiness is like no other and the flakes are really bothersome to deal with. It is fungal overgrowth and it needs to be treated. :flower: In between flare-ups it is, for me, good enough to manage with a sulfate shampoo and with keeping the scalp as clean as possible. But when I have a flare-up (itchy, flakes, redness), I use my Nizoral 2%!

alix.b789
May 16th, 2017, 03:59 AM
I'm new to this and have recently started co-washing, however due to my scalp issues I'm finding I need to do 2 co-washes followed by a shampoo to clear my scalp - I LOVE Philip Kingsley Itchy Scalp shampoo. It's the only thing that works for me.