PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is some strong hair...

JessTheMess
October 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hair Aerobics:shocked: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMblDLvjr_E)
I would definitely NOT try this at home..

Catladyintown
October 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Ouch can I say headache.:confused:

florenonite
October 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
That must be painful on the scalp!

Katahdin
October 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Ow! I would never EVER do that to my poor hair (or my scalp)!

Juneii
October 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM
oh god, no. how can they do that? WHY do they do that?

Golden21
October 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
That looks painful, it can't be good for her hair or head.

Vitalai
October 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
That made me shudder watching that! That's just horrid. It must be very painful.

annielauri
October 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM
OUCH!!! I work with high behavior autistic adults and got a bad hair pull one time, it took 4 men to get this girl out of my hair. That looks sooooooooooo painful. My head hurt for a month and I lost almost 1/2 a small wastebasket full of hair. I probably should have gone to the Dr. since my scalp was bleeding, but stayed at work and cried the rest of the day.:wail:

maskedrose
October 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM
OUCH!! No, thank you.

xrosiex
October 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ouch I could never do that. Not only would I have a headache. I would be soooo dizzy I would never be the same.

Odile
October 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I remember going to the circus when I was really little and seeing a woman do a similar routine! I thought it must be awfully painful, but I seem to remember reading about her in the newspaper or something. Apparently she "trained" her scalp a little at a time for several years until she could successfully do stuff like that.

Anyway, it made quite an impression on me. So did the acrobat lady with the costume like a black widow spider who did an aerobatic routine on a shiny steel spiderweb. I probably still have the circus programs from them--they were both in the Ringling Bros. show (early-mid 80s).

longhairedfairy
October 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Wow... and ouch... I would think that sort of stress could cause gradual hair loss.

CourtneyS
October 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Wow... I never knew people did this kind of stuff but I guess I should not be surprised... Though from what I learned when I had longer hair.. It didnt hurt as bad to pull ALL of it as once as opposed to just a few strands.

kate46
October 26th, 2008, 02:20 AM
And we worry about combing and brushing gently shudder:

Carolyn
October 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I remember going to the circus when I was really little and seeing a woman do a similar routine! I thought it must be awfully painful, but I seem to remember reading about her in the newspaper or something. Apparently she "trained" her scalp a little at a time for several years until she could successfully do stuff like that.
I recall reading something similar too. The woman said she would pull on her hair to "train" it. I know this has been a common circus act for years. I would love to know more about how her hair is attached to the hanging apparatus and how long the hair has to be. I'd also wonder if the women had long term affects to their hair such a bald spots or thinning hair.

lapushka
October 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I wonder if she's not attached through other means, like a strong, invisible cable that emerges from in between the ponytail and is affixed to her costume or back in some way. Can't imagine that she's just hanging by her hair. I don't think this is fun to watch - at all. How do they think up stuff like that anyway.

kwaniesiam
October 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
:bigeyes: No thank you! To each their own, but I can think up a lot more ways to amuse myself then learn to hang from my hair.

BlndeInDisguise
October 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ouch. Not only would your head hurt, but it makes me want to barf watching her spin in circles like that.

Juneii
October 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Apparently she "trained" her scalp a little at a time for several years until she could successfully do stuff like that.

hrm, really? does that mean her hair falls out less because she "trained" her scalp to hold on to her hair? if we "trained" our hair like that (well, almost, I don't want to hang myself by my hair) we could reduce hair loss?
ahahaha too much wishful thinking on my part.

berr
October 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
It sort of reminds me of the spiritual rituals done while hanging from flesh. I've not seen them anywhere but on television programs. The first time I ever saw anything like that was when I was young and watched the movie "a Man Called Horse".

Magicknthenight
October 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I saw something like that..on TV i believe.
I remember she had been warned by..i think it was a doctor..that its causing harmful effects
But she kept at it.
I would never do that. ouch!!! *holds hair* shudder:

Speedbump
October 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ow. OW OW OW OW. shudder:

Amara
October 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Yikes!

Honestly, that's less disturbing than the piercings that people use to suspend their weight. At least that's distributed over her whole scalp.

In any case, though... Yikes!

Eloa
October 27th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I knew that you could hang by your hair in theory, but that's just... terrible. What if her hair rips because it's also twisted in the progress? I also can't imagine the sore neck muscles she must get from that... *shudder*
But: It saves a facelift :eyebrows: (joking!)

magpielaura
October 27th, 2008, 06:11 AM
If the tension was evenly dispersed between every hair most of the hairs would stay in her scalp and not break, but I'll bet its condition is a bit tatty up close! I'll bet the worst damage is inflicted by whatever clamp or binding she used to fix it to the line.
I think acrobats would have a high pain threshhold and level of endurance from the years of training. After swinging on a trapeze by your teeth or having the rest of your troup balance on your shoulders, hanging from your hair must be a doddle!