PDA

View Full Version : Growing out fringe without hairspray - help

Flossiebell
May 5th, 2017, 01:04 AM
Hi all

I had a fringe cut in a month ago and I hate it. In fact I hated it the day after it was cut 🙁 I had forgotten how curly my hair is when its that short, and the last time I had a fringe it was fine. It was ok when I was a kid but not now it seems.

I need them to grow out pronto but I'm struggling with pinning them back, I have fine curly/wavy hair and bobby pins keep falling out, as do snap pins, I get headaches from headbands (even the ones that are supposed to be comfy) and the ones that go all around your head just start sliding up then falling off.

I can't just let it be and have a wavy fringe to grow out because it sort of looks like a frizzy peak of a baseball cap crossed with a ski jump if I try to have it like a fringe without straightening it. Plus I look like an 80s throwback. Lengthwise it's just in my eyes if I pull it straight I think. I try not to look at it too much to be honest.

The only thing that works is bobby pins and a lot of hairspray.........but a friend of mine was told to stop using hairspray on her fringe that she was trying to grow out because it was making it snap off! She must have been right because when my friend stopped using hairspray her fringe started to grow out whereas it had been a short fringe for 2 years without once having a trim! I desperately want it to grow but am scared of making it snap off. I wish I could wear a hat all the time but I don't think my boss would be ok with that 🙁 So I am constantly checking my pins for stragglers and re-pinning and it just looks a mess and I'm really self conscious about it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sorry for the long post and I don't mean to be melodramatic but I really don't know how to cope with this fringe.

Arctic
May 5th, 2017, 01:41 AM
I would probably just blow dry them straight (search for how to blow dry bangs; the beauty department site has a nice tutorial) and take advantage of them while it lasts. Yeah you may not be the biggest fan but other people don't know it, and the bangs will grow out of shape very soon, at which point I would start the braiding and pinning route. You probably need to use some styling product, it doesn't have to be hair spray though.

Are your bobby pins the right size for you (I like the miniature size for bangs)? Are they in good shape or lost the shape? Have you watched tutorials about how to use bobby pins? Often the technique needs some tweaking. Stretchy headbands can be pinned in place. You can use braids and edwardian rolls. Or pompadours.

akurah
May 5th, 2017, 01:49 AM
Have you tried mousse? While hair is still wet, slick it back or to the sides, see to it that it dries that way. It might help some in keeping it out of your face. and is something I did (alternating with aloe vera and snap pins) until my bang were long enough to tuck behind my ears. I suggest trying that on a day you don't need to go out in case it does not do as you want.

If mousse is not an option (either "anti-chemical" or ends up not working), you can try above again, but replacing mousse with aloe vera gel, such as so:
https://www.amazon.com/Lily-Desert-Aloe-Vera-Gelly/dp/B01LFOAIEC/ref=sr_1_11_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1493970149&sr=1-11&keywords=aloe%2Bvera%2Bgel&th=1 <-- this one is my favorite aloe vera gel, it gives me decent hold and combats frizziness

You do not have to use the aloe vera for hair, you can use the stuff for skin. (obviously you can buy the aloe vera for hair if you want to, but the aloe for skin stuff tends to be cheaper) If you get the stuff for skin, do not buy the kind with lidocaine, and look at the ingredients. If there is alcohol, do not get it. All colored aloe gels (green colored, blue colored) will have either lidocaine, alcohol, or both. The clear ones you will need to read the ingredients, but are far less likely to have lidocaine or alcohol. The clear ones without lidocaine or alcohol will still have preservatives, which can be alarming if you don't know those are preservatives. When you choose a clear one, get one that says 99% aloe vera. I would skip anything that says 100%, because of legalese and marketing smoke and mirrors, they're technically saying the product is 100% gel, not 100% aloe vera.

How are your braiding skills?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uexq72-xUQ

You have not indicated if you've tried the mini claw clips. If you haven't, I would try those. When I say tiny, I really do mean tiny! Such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Classics-Claw-Hair-Crown/dp/B005I038XS?th=1

Now as for hairspray... if none of the above suggestions work (and they may not), I honestly recommend using hairspray to keep it under control. There are some caveats.

Hairspray is bad for your hair in the sense that it's a glue, but if you hairspray your hair, don't touch it, comb/brush it, or otherwise disturb it, it can still help your fringe grow out. If you continue with hairspray, after using it and styling it, once it is dry, no touching. You should wash it out nightly, and you will need to wash a bit differently than you might think--you will need to wet your hair, apply an SLS shampoo, and wait for a bit so the shampoo can "disolve" the bonds. Then wash your hair normally.

Some hairspray brands may be better than others: http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/09/why-is-sebastian-shaper-hairspray-so-freaking-good/
Some types of hairsprays are "better" than others. The light hold hairpsrays are far, far more hair friendly than the "extra" hold or "ultra" hold or "max" hold stuff (whatever it's called these days). Even if you get a light hold or flexible hold hairspray, do not touch the bangs where it was applied to reduce damage risk.

I suspect your friend who had their fringe snapping off was brushing or combing their fringe after the hairpsray had dried. Hairspray alone, without help, is unlikely to break the hair, it sort of just sits there and hangs out. The danger comes from the fact it's a glue and once it's in, you don't touch it, because touching it runs the risk of damaging it. Think of opening and unsealing an envelope. Hairspray seals it, if you want to unseal an envelope without damaging it, you steam it. To unseal the hair, you get it wet and apply SLS shampoo.

Because you want to leave any hair alone that has been hairsprayed, I also recommend not applying hairspray except where it is actually needed (ie, fringe only)

Depending on hairspray formulation, you may find it drying, so you may find you need to condition your hair a bit more, or oil it.

Borgessa
May 5th, 2017, 02:10 AM
When growing out bangs or bad flyaways, I always wore something like this.. Because any kinda of hair in my face drives me CRAZY.
http://i65.tinypic.com/k1ru2q.jpg

Flossiebell
May 5th, 2017, 02:53 AM
I would probably just blow dry them straight (search for how to blow dry bangs; the beauty department site has a nice tutorial) and take advantage of them while it lasts. Yeah you may not be the biggest fan but other people don't know it, and the bangs will grow out of shape very soon, at which point I would start the braiding and pinning route. You probably need to use some styling product, it doesn't have to be hair spray though.

Are your bobby pins the right size for you (I like the miniature size for bangs)? Are they in good shape or lost the shape? Have you watched tutorials about how to use bobby pins? Often the technique needs some tweaking. Stretchy headbands can be pinned in place. You can use braids and edwardian rolls. Or pompadours.

I've tried regular and mini bobby pins and it doesn't make a difference. I've watched some tutorials but my hair just seems to repel them. I've tried crossing the pins to form an x but only managed that once, and one of those started slipping out of the x after a while.

Flossiebell
May 5th, 2017, 03:00 AM
Have you tried mousse? While hair is still wet, slick it back or to the sides, see to it that it dries that way. It might help some in keeping it out of your face. and is something I did (alternating with aloe vera and snap pins) until my bang were long enough to tuck behind my ears. I suggest trying that on a day you don't need to go out in case it does not do as you want.

If mousse is not an option (either "anti-chemical" or ends up not working), you can try above again, but replacing mousse with aloe vera gel, such as so:
https://www.amazon.com/Lily-Desert-Aloe-Vera-Gelly/dp/B01LFOAIEC/ref=sr_1_11_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1493970149&sr=1-11&keywords=aloe%2Bvera%2Bgel&th=1 <-- this one is my favorite aloe vera gel, it gives me decent hold and combats frizziness

You do not have to use the aloe vera for hair, you can use the stuff for skin. (obviously you can buy the aloe vera for hair if you want to, but the aloe for skin stuff tends to be cheaper) If you get the stuff for skin, do not buy the kind with lidocaine, and look at the ingredients. If there is alcohol, do not get it. All colored aloe gels (green colored, blue colored) will have either lidocaine, alcohol, or both. The clear ones you will need to read the ingredients, but are far less likely to have lidocaine or alcohol. The clear ones without lidocaine or alcohol will still have preservatives, which can be alarming if you don't know those are preservatives. When you choose a clear one, get one that says 99% aloe vera. I would skip anything that says 100%, because of legalese and marketing smoke and mirrors, they're technically saying the product is 100% gel, not 100% aloe vera.

How are your braiding skills?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uexq72-xUQ

You have not indicated if you've tried the mini claw clips. If you haven't, I would try those. When I say tiny, I really do mean tiny! Such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Classics-Claw-Hair-Crown/dp/B005I038XS?th=1

Now as for hairspray... if none of the above suggestions work (and they may not), I honestly recommend using hairspray to keep it under control. There are some caveats.

Hairspray is bad for your hair in the sense that it's a glue, but if you hairspray your hair, don't touch it, comb/brush it, or otherwise disturb it, it can still help your fringe grow out. If you continue with hairspray, after using it and styling it, once it is dry, no touching. You should wash it out nightly, and you will need to wash a bit differently than you might think--you will need to wet your hair, apply an SLS shampoo, and wait for a bit so the shampoo can "disolve" the bonds. Then wash your hair normally.

Some hairspray brands may be better than others: http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/09/why-is-sebastian-shaper-hairspray-so-freaking-good/
Some types of hairsprays are "better" than others. The light hold hairpsrays are far, far more hair friendly than the "extra" hold or "ultra" hold or "max" hold stuff (whatever it's called these days). Even if you get a light hold or flexible hold hairspray, do not touch the bangs where it was applied to reduce damage risk.

I suspect your friend who had their fringe snapping off was brushing or combing their fringe after the hairpsray had dried. Hairspray alone, without help, is unlikely to break the hair, it sort of just sits there and hangs out. The danger comes from the fact it's a glue and once it's in, you don't touch it, because touching it runs the risk of damaging it. Think of opening and unsealing an envelope. Hairspray seals it, if you want to unseal an envelope without damaging it, you steam it. To unseal the hair, you get it wet and apply SLS shampoo.

Because you want to leave any hair alone that has been hairsprayed, I also recommend not applying hairspray except where it is actually needed (ie, fringe only)

Depending on hairspray formulation, you may find it drying, so you may find you need to condition your hair a bit more, or oil it.

I think I've got extra hold hairspray, will have to check when I get home. I hadn't thought of mousse, that might be an idea. My hair will stay out of my face but will stand on end almost like a fan around my face. So bizarre, not sure if mousse alone will hold it down. I do have some mini claw clips but I haven't tried them because if I look at the gap in the clip, my fringe will just slip through it if you know what I mean? Unless I turn the clip sideways on maybe? That might work. My braiding skills are pretty naff but I am hoping that I will be able to do something when it grows out more, it's just fixing it in place that was worrying me.

Flossiebell
May 5th, 2017, 03:06 AM
When growing out bangs or bad flyaways, I always wore something like this.. Because any kinda of hair in my face drives me CRAZY.
http://i65.tinypic.com/k1ru2q.jpg

I can't wear headbands for more than an hour or so due to headaches 🙁, although I remember a stretchy plastic band with teeth like that all the way around that didn't hurt. I can't find one anywhere now though.
* have just managed to find some on Amazon. Now waiting for delivery 😀

Flossiebell
May 5th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions.........I knew you would be able to help ❤️

Anje
May 5th, 2017, 06:35 AM
I feel your pain. I got convinced to cut bangs a while back, which looked awful and were a pain to have and to grow out. Yuck. I should have known better.

Anyway, haven't tried it myself yet, but I've seen a few recipes for making sugar based hairspray. Typical ratio seems to be about 1 cup of hot water and 4 teaspoons of sugar, though you might want to halve that and toss it out more often, because I'm not convinced it won't grow bacteria or mold. That would eliminate alcohol as a concern for being drying. I'd still handle the hair carefully once it hardens, but it should rinse out with just water. It might still be a little drying, but my guess is not too bad.

lapushka
May 5th, 2017, 06:38 AM
If they are just cut, I would do as was earlier suggested, just wear them and blow dry them straight. Until they start covering your eyes, and then you can start to pin them back, they will have gained some length and then that will be much easier to do as well.

Oh, and if you need to use hairspray, just do it; they are only bangs. ;)

spidermom
May 5th, 2017, 07:28 AM
I used hairspray on mine all the time; they still grew out. I also used small barrettes and decorated bobby pins to hold them out of my face. It sounds like you need more practice. There's definitely a learning curve when it comes to bobby pins.

Hay_jules
May 5th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I have the same thing, curly bangs that i used to blow fry and straighten. The whole time i had them on in between days i would twist, then pin them into a little pompadour, it's the only way they would stay. I used snap pins at first but my hair always broke so i switched to the curved bobby pins. Then i switched to minis (the goody ones, not cheapies) and "X'd" them. Twisting them before pinning them back was key to them holding though. Bangs get better with repetition, of you keep at it they'll learn and won't fight their way out so bad lol. When i first started growing them out I French (or dutch) braided them into a little faux hawk and pinned it, the braid holds better in the bobby pin. Good luck.

lithostoic
May 5th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Braid them!

Flossiebell
May 5th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I usually twist them and try and pin them back, but there seems to be lots of shorter hair that comes out and sticks out at a 45 degree angle. I've tried to braid it across the front, but it keeps slipping out within seconds although I admit I'm not really good at braids. I think I struggle to make a cross with pins. they really don't want to do what I want. In the last 5 weeks I have only managed to make 1 cross. I hope I'll get there soon (and write myself a HUGE note never ever to have a fringe again) 😒

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2017, 11:50 AM
I used Garnier anti-humidity hair spray (and still do for wispies)....it has a natural hold with no buildup or hair damage.

Threddies on Etsy has a great selection of hair accessories; I loved their thin satin bands when I was growing my fringe out.

My hair is fine and slippery but I still could use light decorated mini barrettes and bobby pins found at my grocers.

Take heart, if they are in your eyes now....they will soon be at twist or braid length soon :cheer:

Alex Lou
May 5th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Nothing wrong with hairspray or blow drying fringe... whatever you need to be happy with it. It will grow in any case.

Being lazy as I am, I prefer to tame unruly long bangs with a french braid. I part my hair on the side and start the braid at the part, go across my hairline where the bangs are, and then down the side, curve toward where I want to secure my bun, then bun it all. If needed, I do the other side as well. Even lazier, you could do a rope braid. It might sound a bit complicated, but in reality, I can do it on the go without a mirror or any tools or products.

lizardspots
May 5th, 2017, 01:57 PM
When my fringe was growing out, I did a lace braid or lace twist and then pinned it at the side of my head. Might be worth a go? I also found it hard to pin my fringe down, because my hair is so slippery it just slid right out of any bobby pins.

Kaelee
May 6th, 2017, 11:58 AM
These things (they come in multiple brands, colors, package sizes etc) are a must-have for me now: http://www.target.com/p/goody-174-black-colour-collection-contour-clips-6-ct/-/A-11895534?sid=2537S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007347&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PjlYCNSP ZkhgnyHzlKFH4h3txDKU6DvOy1V0zRl2YTIaAmR-8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

When my bangs were shorter, I would grab a side, twist it and twist it "into" my longer hair that was already in a bun, and secure it with one of these: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/goody-reg-colour-collection-trade-12-pack-mini-claw-clip-in-brunette/1014503250?skuId=14503250&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_beautywellness_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742630269&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=14503250&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PteflTKU-HXkmaI5AduGbHHxgvZpoAcm3Ay3j5c6AhoaArry8P8HAQ

enting
May 15th, 2017, 07:25 AM
I like using these for short escape artist hair. They come in other colors, or one can use nailpolish to color them.

http://www.bluemaize.net/im/hair/crocodile-hair-clips-0.jpg

I either use the clips to hold the hair back or to the sides, or I do a tiny crown rope just with my bangs/fringe and secure the end with one of these clips over one of my ears. If it's really difficult, I will put some aloe vera gel or glycerin gel in my hair before I rope it. I'm a mess at doing a headband braid, but the roping I can manage.

Just clipping the hair back should work just fine, also. I discovered these clips while searching for some method to clip DH's hair back during the awkward too-short-for-a-ponytail stage. His fine hair was defying anything we tried to put in it until these.

NightSister
May 15th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I'm currently growing out a fringe too! I completely understand your frustration. I part it in the middle and make a little french braid on each side that joins with a small section of the rest of my hair. From there style as usual (which in my case is just a hair fold and clip since it's shoulder length). The one good thing about braiding hair that short a length is you get a little bit of volume at the root - no backcombing or hairspray required!