PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Sleep Braids

FrayedFire
May 3rd, 2017, 04:52 PM
I usually braid my hair at night, recently with a paranda, but I'm concerned about friction, despite my satin pillowcase, as I am a very restless sleeper. Is there a way to do my usual braid(s), and then like... Wrap something around it so I have a tube around the length? If so, how???

Maybe I can make little tubes for each section and braid them together? Actually, that's not a bad idea, even though it won't protect anything other than the length... Like an outer-paranda.

I wanted to try a cap or scarf but I have a very high chance of removing anything I'm wearing while asleep, even pajamas. So an elastic thing around my scalp? Definitely something annoying enough to remove in my sleep, even if I don't get a headache from it.

wispe
May 3rd, 2017, 05:27 PM
This reminded me of Steph Arizona on youtube, she ties a couple silk scarves around the lengths of her sleep braids before she adds on for her scalp. She talks about it here (https://youtu.be/U3AE8nm0bPY?t=143). You could probably do something similar if you think you're not going to leave a sleep cap on all night. I personally found the first weekish or so of wearing a scarf or bonnet to bed that the scarf didn't stay on, but after that I guess my sleeping self figured things out because I don't have that problem anymore when I wear scarves or caps to bed. I have silk pillowcases and don't bother when I bun my hair for bed, but when I braid it or wear it loose I use a cap or a scarf on top to protect the length from getting trapped under my body or rubbing on my (sadly not silk lol) sheets.

Anje
May 3rd, 2017, 05:33 PM
I think it took me about two weeks to be able to leave a sleep bonnet on consistently at night. The first week, I tended to find it on the far side of the room in the morning. But long term, that's what worked for me, since I would either sleep on top of a braid or it would get attacked by one of my cats.

I suppose an alternative would be a horse tail bag. I had a lycra one for a while, but I didn't like it as well as the bonnet in the end, which also kept my scalp hair from getting fuzzed up.

meteor
May 3rd, 2017, 05:35 PM
I loosely wrap a silky scarf around my braided bun (unsecured) for the night and it prevents frizz and usually keeps my braid in nearly pristine condition.

meteor
May 3rd, 2017, 05:37 PM
[...]
I suppose an alternative would be a horse tail bag. I had a lycra one for a while, but I didn't like it as well as the bonnet in the end, which also kept my scalp hair from getting fuzzed up.

^ That's a great idea! :thumbsup: And you can actually DIY horse tail bags easily (check out tutorials on YouTube) using silky smooth materials and making it as wide and long as needed for the braid(s). :)

FrayedFire
May 3rd, 2017, 06:06 PM
This reminded me of Steph Arizona on youtube, she ties a couple silk scarves around the lengths of her sleep braids before she adds on for her scalp. She talks about it here (https://youtu.be/U3AE8nm0bPY?t=143). You could probably do something similar if you think you're not going to leave a sleep cap on all night. I personally found the first weekish or so of wearing a scarf or bonnet to bed that the scarf didn't stay on, but after that I guess my sleeping self figured things out because I don't have that problem anymore when I wear scarves or caps to bed. I have silk pillowcases and don't bother when I bun my hair for bed, but when I braid it or wear it loose I use a cap or a scarf on top to protect the length from getting trapped under my body or rubbing on my (sadly not silk lol) sheets.

Oooh, a link. Yeah, I'm not really sure how well that would stay, but it did give me some ideas.

I've never tried a bonnet for more than a week, maybe I should try again with something more comfortable. Though I could always just go to the fabric store and get a big length of the cheapest silk/satin and lay it over my bed. I already do that with a smooth top sheet cause I hate top sheets and I sleep in a stupid fold down couch in a motorhome. Once I'm rich...

I think it took me about two weeks to be able to leave a sleep bonnet on consistently at night. The first week, I tended to find it on the far side of the room in the morning. But long term, that's what worked for me, since I would either sleep on top of a braid or it would get attacked by one of my cats.

Honestly I've found /myself/ on the far side of a room so I hear you on the mysterious flinging of items in one's sleep.

I was hoping that the pillowcases would be enough, but maybe I just need to find a cap that is secure enough to stay on without giving me a headache... I wish I could just sleep with it loose, cause as much as I love braid waves, I only have straight hair on wash day unless I am willing to detangle the next few days... Which is awful on clean hair. Ouch. I know this cause I've jusy done it two days in a row.

*grumbles* I'm not looking forward to having to figure out how to protect my hair when it gets cooler again and I start wearing headscarves again.

FrayedFire
May 3rd, 2017, 06:06 PM
^ That's a great idea! :thumbsup: And you can actually DIY horse tail bags easily (check out tutorials on YouTube) using silky smooth materials and making it as wide and long as needed for the braid(s). :)

I don't even know what that is but I will definitely check it out!

FrayedFire
May 5th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Okay so I guess I spoke too soon! I found a big square slippery scarf, and tied up my hair in it, and braided the extra length, and not only do I look like an adorable pirate, but it stayed on the second night, and I can just slip it on and off my head to recapture the hairs that escape. I have gotten several compliments, and it is doing a good job of keeping my hair safe from the wind and hot sun.

Charjonesxoxo
January 21st, 2018, 11:50 AM
I normally rap a scarf around my head before I sleep and it usually holds through the night unless I have a particularly restless night

Nyrak
January 21st, 2018, 12:38 PM
I was just wondering about this same topic. But I have the opposite problem. When I braid for sleep, the braids are fine in the morning, but everything from the ears up and the back of my head get shredded. (layers growing out) I was wondering if a scarf would help, because I'm worried about damage.

Lady Stardust
January 21st, 2018, 12:50 PM
Okay so I guess I spoke too soon! I found a big square slippery scarf, and tied up my hair in it, and braided the extra length, and not only do I look like an adorable pirate, but it stayed on the second night, and I can just slip it on and off my head to recapture the hairs that escape. I have gotten several compliments, and it is doing a good job of keeping my hair safe from the wind and hot sun.

The adorable pirate look sounds good :-)

gustavonut
January 25th, 2018, 06:31 AM
I usually just stuff my hair into an adorabellababy silk cap but it has unfortunately been lost for almost a year now and I have just been doing a 3 strand braid while I am bent forward or laying on the pillow. It works for me and give me really defined braid waves the next morning.

Kitke
January 25th, 2018, 06:43 AM
I like to wrap up my whole head & braid in a long silk scarf- sometimes it stays on all night and sometimes it doesn't so it's not totally ideal, but I think it's better than nothing.

Anyone with experience: is a square scarf better at staying on than a long rectangular one? Any tips for wrapping a rectangular scarf on so that it stays?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 25th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I just use a silk sleep cap, it works brilliantly and my braid is pristine the next morning.

FrayedFire
February 1st, 2018, 09:54 PM
I've been experimenting with leaving my hair loose tossed up over the pillow, some success, need new pillowcases and bedding. Hair hasn't been tangling too badly, often less so than in a braid. Still haven't found a cap I like.

Elizabeth E
March 26th, 2018, 02:06 PM
What I did was cutting off one leg from a pair of old silk stockings and cutting the foot part off so that it's like a tube that's open on both sides. After oiling and braiding my hair, I pull this silk 'tube' over my arm, grab my braid and pull it through, then use four hair clips to secure it at the nape of my neck. My hair stays inside that all night and I wear it during the day too, but then I simply twist the silk 'tube' with my braid inside it up and secure with a large hair clip. So far, this has worked very well.

Wendyp
March 26th, 2018, 03:58 PM

Love the idea of sleeping with silk scarves!

Ophidian
March 26th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Wendy, your inbox is full fyi :)

sipnsun
September 7th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately my very fine hair breaks when I sleep with it braided or in a loose bun so I’ll definitely check into buying a silk bonnet or scarf. Thanks for the great suggestions!

C_Bookworm
August 5th, 2020, 08:59 PM
I’ll be attempting to sew one of the horse tail bags tomorrow. I’m not a fan of hats, so it’s an alternative to a sleep bonnet I want to try. Is there anyone out there that currently uses one?

C_Bookworm
August 6th, 2020, 08:50 PM
Ended up dealing with a bit of insomnia last night by sewing the braid protector. It held nicely all night long. I’ll be keeping an eye on my hair, long term, to see what sort of difference it makes. Short term, it looks like my braid shreds less.

Linden
August 8th, 2020, 11:12 PM
I DIYed a silk tube to slip over my braid by sewing up two sides of a long rectangular scarf, and then making ties that I tied up over my head like a headband. Eventually I added some elastic so I can just wrap the ties around my head, and sometimes I will use hair clips to help hold it in place. In my experience, it definitely helps with braid shredding.

C_Bookworm
August 9th, 2020, 08:02 AM
I DIYed a silk tube to slip over my braid by sewing up two sides of a long rectangular scarf, and then making ties that I tied up over my head like a headband. Eventually I added some elastic so I can just wrap the ties around my head, and sometimes I will use hair clips to help hold it in place. In my experience, it definitely helps with braid shredding.

Good to hear! I’ll have to dig through my old scarves for a rectangular one. That seems like a simple and effective hack. Thank you :flower:

Feral_
September 13th, 2020, 12:40 AM
General question for those who braid hair to sleep - whereabouts on the head do you braid?

I can only do an English braid. I have been making a high ponytail and braiding that. I cannot stand the feeling of lumpy hair at the back of my neck, and as I’m a back / side sleeper I need the hair out of the way. I use a ‘fishnet’ hair tie for the base of the pony and not tight (sorry don’t know what they’re called, basically a wide elastic with fishnet holes).

These are to me the ‘gentlest’ hair ties I have. I wondered if this was protective enough not to damage the hair? I have considered tying a scarf around the base of the pony instead of the hair tie and plaiting that through the length. Open to suggestions! Thank you :flower:

Finda
September 13th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Did I understand correctly, an english braid is not an option because you prefer the neck to be free?
Would a bun on the top of your head be an option? Secured with either spinpins or a small fork, that doesn't annoy when sleeping on the side.
Can I ask what a fishnet hair tie is? It sounds interesting.

Feral_
September 13th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Did I understand correctly, an english braid is not an option because you prefer the neck to be free?
Would a bun on the top of your head be an option? Secured with either spinpins or a small fork, that doesn't annoy when sleeping on the side.

Thank you Finda, yes I like my neck to be free and a braid keeps my waves. I have some spin pins so I will try the bun option - I tried a messy bun with a satin scrunchie but felt it tugging on my scalp.
Fishnet hair tie, sorry pic is huge.
https://i.imgur.com/5DaZviH.jpg

Finda
September 15th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Thank you, I have never seen those, are they less damaging than a regular hairtie without the holes? I used to have bad breakage from hair ties so I don't do high ponytails anymore (though I miss them). I only use hair ties for braid ends because that hair is damaged anyways.

I don't sleep well with buns because they never stay on top of my head and when they slip down, I strain my neck. I do an english braid but on the right side of my neck, so that I'm not lying on my hair, at least not before I fall asleep ;-)

ynne
September 15th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Oh, I've been wondering about protective styles for sleep. So far, I only had success with leaving my hair loose, but it's becoming less ideal with more length. Braids get ruined overnight and tangle my hair more than loose hair, and when I tried to wrap my hair (in a cotton t-shirt with long sleeves to tie it off), it slid off. :/

Feral_
September 15th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Thank you, I have never seen those, are they less damaging than a regular hairtie without the holes? I used to have bad breakage from hair ties so I don't do high ponytails anymore (though I miss them). I only use hair ties for braid ends because that hair is damaged anyways.

I don't sleep well with buns because they never stay on top of my head and when they slip down, I strain my neck. I do an english braid but on the right side of my neck, so that I'm not lying on my hair, at least not before I fall asleep ;-)

Yes I find them better than normal hair ties as the tension isn’t as much with the holes. I slept in an English braid yesterday as I already had it in and thought I’d try it. I did feel it turning over. Woke up at 4am :( so I think the top pony braid or bun is a better option.

Oh, I've been wondering about protective styles for sleep. So far, I only had success with leaving my hair loose, but it's becoming less ideal with more length. Braids get ruined overnight and tangle my hair more than loose hair, and when I tried to wrap my hair (in a cotton t-shirt with long sleeves to tie it off), it slid off. :/

Something I did in the early days of water only was to sleep with a microfibre snood / ‘Buff’ neck tube on my head. I’d put the Buff over my head around my neck, brush my hair bending forward at the waist, then pull the tube over my head and stuff the hair in the tube and tie the top corners so it was enclosed. It’s very protective.. hair is full of volume the next day and requires no brushing. It’s just a bit warm right now to do it but I’ll resume it when the temperature drops!

ynne
September 16th, 2020, 08:14 PM
Something I did in the early days of water only was to sleep with a microfibre snood / ‘Buff’ neck tube on my head. I’d put the Buff over my head around my neck, brush my hair bending forward at the waist, then pull the tube over my head and stuff the hair in the tube and tie the top corners so it was enclosed. It’s very protective.. hair is full of volume the next day and requires no brushing. It’s just a bit warm right now to do it but I’ll resume it when the temperature drops!

Thank you for sharing that tip! I just can't imagine how exactly you secured the top of the neck tube, like making a knot from the fabric itself? I think I saw something similar – would it be something like this (https://www.instagram.com/p/B29K4mHF3L3/)? (It's a link to an instagram video.)

Feral_
September 17th, 2020, 03:12 AM
Thank you for sharing that tip! I just can't imagine how exactly you secured the top of the neck tube, like making a knot from the fabric itself? I think I saw something similar – would it be something like this (https://www.instagram.com/p/B29K4mHF3L3/)? (It's a link to an instagram video.)

Yes that’s it. Once my hair is stuffed inside the buff loose, I take each top corner, so the ‘ears’ of the buff and bring them together to tie in a simple overhand granny knot. The hair is enclosed inside the buff but can’t escape out the top. I call it my Marge Simpson look :D

It’s super comfortable to sleep in and because buffs are made from microfibre it’s kind on the hair. I have a couple of children’s buffs as I’ve a small head / neck. I tend wear them all year round as a neck garment as they’re so versatile and can double up as face mask. If you google ways to wear one you’ll see what I mean :)

sipnsun
September 17th, 2020, 05:49 AM
Yes that’s it. Once my hair is stuffed inside the buff loose, I take each top corner, so the ‘ears’ of the buff and bring them together to tie in a simple overhand granny knot. The hair is enclosed inside the buff but can’t escape out the top. I call it my Marge Simpson look :D

It’s super comfortable to sleep in and because buffs are made from microfibre it’s kind on the hair. I have a couple of children’s buffs as I’ve a small head / neck. I tend wear them all year round as a neck garment as they’re so versatile and can double up as face mask. If you google ways to wear one you’ll see what I mean :)

Ooh, I love the idea of a buff Feral_, I haven't had any luck with my silk cap because I take it off during the night when I get hot. I'm going to give this a try tonight, maybe with it being more fitted I won't be able to slip it off in my sleep. This also sounds like it would be a great style for running!

ZoeZ
September 17th, 2020, 07:50 AM

I have found that cutting up regular pantihose legs into ties has made a difference in hair breakage. I just cut the legs into 2-or 3 centimetre wide bands. They are easier to tie than the regular elastic hair ties and can be tied down the length of the tail to cover a few centimeters, protecting the tail as well. Useful way to use up old hose. You can also use several ties up the length of the braid if it's long, it's very gentle on hair and easy to remove.

I actually saw that here on LHC somewhere.

ZoeZ
September 17th, 2020, 07:51 AM
oops double post!

C_Bookworm
September 17th, 2020, 08:22 AM
I’ve been using my horse tail bag for a month now and it’s comfortable and easy to use. At some point I’ll sacrifice a silk scarf to make a second bag, but for the time being what I have is working great.

ynne
September 17th, 2020, 11:18 AM

Thank you for the description! I've got one similar to that and sometimes I use it to keep hair off my face in bathroom or to hold it back when it's drying, like a headband, but that's about it. It's very slippery, so I'll have to try it and see if it won't fly off at night! :)

Finda
September 17th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Yes I find them better than normal hair ties as the tension isn’t as much with the holes.
Thank you! I'll keep my eyes open. If I see them, I'm gonna try them out.

I also wear snoods in all circumstances ;-)
They are especially helpful under helemts I've found out.
Browsing etsy I've found this nightbeanie made out of silk: https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/661550646/kittybeanie-seide-lang-60cm?ref=shop_home_active_16&crt=1
The store also has protective covers that are probably similiar to the tail bag C_Bookworm mentioned?
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/622443970/zopfschoner-aus-schwarzer-seide?ref=shop_home_active_12&crt=1
I'm thinking of getting the one or the other for the night but am still undecided

I have found that cutting up regular pantihose legs into ties has made a difference in hair breakage. I just cut the legs into 2-or 3 centimetre wide bands. They are easier to tie than the regular elastic hair ties and can be tied down the length of the tail to cover a few centimeters, protecting the tail as well. Useful way to use up old hose. You can also use several ties up the length of the braid if it's long, it's very gentle on hair and easy to remove.
I actually saw that here on LHC somewhere.

Thank you very much. This also sounds interesting, I think I need to try that. When you say band, is it still a circle or a stripe?
Could you maybe explain the bolded part again, please? I couldn't quite follow, but I'd really like to know :-)

C_Bookworm
September 17th, 2020, 02:10 PM
The store also has protective covers that are probably similiar to the tail bag C_Bookworm mentioned?
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/622443970/zopfschoner-aus-schwarzer-seide?ref=shop_home_active_12&crt=1

Yes! That’s it.