PDA

View Full Version : Buns and Scrunchies

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 25th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I am really limited to hair toys and accessories, so I was wondering, how can I put my air into a bun using a scrunchie? I don't like using elastic hair bands as they tend to damage my hair. I've been struggling to put my hair into a bun, but I am not sure how to do it. I searched the site and cannot seem to find any info. Any advice?:o

embee
October 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I only just figured out how to do mine this way for sleeping... What I found was I needed almost to do a beebutt bun on the top of my head, and wrap the scrunchie around it once, then twist the scrunchie and wrap it again, in a slightly different place on the beebutt. It works well for me, and is quite comfy for sleeping in summer.

Mostly though, it's the twist I give to my hair that makes it work, I twist the hair like a rope almost, before making the beebutt. I don't think it would work with out that twisting. My hair's so slick and slippery.

CindyLea1
October 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I use scrunchies on my buns all the time. I put a scrunchie in to make a ponytail. Then I twist the entire ponytail untill it starts to wrap on itsself at the ponytail scrunchie.

Then I keep twisting the rest of the ponytail and let it wrap itself around and around untill I get to the last few inches. This tail part I wrap tightly under therest of the bun, so that it gets tucked in next to the poytail scrunchie.

Then, I wrap a scrunchie tightly behind/under the bun itself to tie down the ends. If I use an older stretched out scrunchie I have enough to twist and wrap around the coiled part of the bun. If I used a new scrunchie I have to use another towrap once around the coils.

Another idea, I have been doing lately. I have a couple of small jaw clips. I will do everything the same as above untill the last 2 scrunchies. After I get done wraping the bun, I will clip a jaw clip in to catch the top coils, scalp hair that goes into the ponytail, and the spring sets over the ends. It took me a few times to get this right but I like it.

CindyLea

ChloeDharma
October 25th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I nealy always use a scrunchie to hold a bun, i gather my hair as if making a ponytail, then twist it up then wrap it around itself tucking the ends in at the bottom then just wrap the scrunchie around it.
I expect i explained that very badly though.

Forever_Sophie
October 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
When my hair was shorter but still long ( :p ) - maybe just above bra strap length? I'd make a ponytail then coil it around and secure with a scrunchie.

Just last week, I tried the sock bun with a thick scrunchie and it worked perfectly :)

crazy me
October 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I will pull my hair back as if to put it into a pony tail, twist it until there aren't a tong of flyaways and it all seems to be pretty well contained, but not so much as to put any major pressure on my scalp. Then I twist it into a regular bun, tuck the tail in as best as i can then start my scrunchie where the tail is, wrap around once, turn it in two and wrap around a second time. When I first started using scrunchies it took a few tries to get it to stay well, but after I learned how to do it well it became easy. Good luck!

chelles2kids
October 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
A scrunchie bun, it's super easy.

If your familiar with twisting your hair for a bun, all you need to do once it's twisted up is to slip the scrunchie over the top of the bun, twist it and slip it over again.
Make sure you get it all the way down to the base of the bun.

If you need more explanation on how to twist the bun, just let us know.;)

Michelle

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I only just figured out how to do mine this way for sleeping... What I found was I needed almost to do a beebutt bun on the top of my head, and wrap the scrunchie around it once, then twist the scrunchie and wrap it again, in a slightly different place on the beebutt. It works well for me, and is quite comfy for sleeping in summer.

Mostly though, it's the twist I give to my hair that makes it work, I twist the hair like a rope almost, before making the beebutt. I don't think it would work with out that twisting. My hair's so slick and slippery.

I've tried this, but it just doesn't seem to work. I twist it, but it never holds.

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I will pull my hair back as if to put it into a pony tail, twist it until there aren't a tong of flyaways and it all seems to be pretty well contained, but not so much as to put any major pressure on my scalp. Then I twist it into a regular bun, tuck the tail in as best as i can then start my scrunchie where the tail is, wrap around once, turn it in two and wrap around a second time. When I first started using scrunchies it took a few tries to get it to stay well, but after I learned how to do it well it became easy. Good luck!

Yeah, it's kind of aggravating the first few times I try. I've gotten it before, but then it pulls on some areas of my scalp and isn't very secure to my head, I'll keep trying.:o

longhairedfairy
October 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I do it all the time with a bee butt bun:)

Darkhorse1
October 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
My way for a scrunchie bun:
Use large scrunchie
Wind hair into scrunchie like you are doing it for a ponytail. On the last wind, don't pull length totally through. Take tail and wind around scrunchie at base and tuck into it. By not pulling it totally through and wrapping the length around it, it gives it a much more secure feel/more stable.

Ice~Cold~Wind
October 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
My way for a scrunchie bun:
Use large scrunchie
Wind hair into scrunchie like you are doing it for a ponytail. On the last wind, don't pull length totally through. Take tail and wind around scrunchie at base and tuck into it. By not pulling it totally through and wrapping the length around it, it gives it a much more secure feel/more stable.

That sounds like it might work.:) I will try this:D

Curlsgirl
October 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Mine works better and is more comfy if I don't really let it make a huge bee-butt bun but a little more flattened out bun. I twist my whole length for the most secure and let it coil around tucking in the ends and then wrapping the scrunchy around enough to make it secure. You might need to try different scrunchies to get a good size. My big silky ones hold a lot better.

HairColoredHair
October 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I've never managed to make a scrunchie bun that lasted more than, oh, five minutes. :(

I just use my bent knitting needles instead. :D

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM
What I do is make a beebutt bun, but I leave the first coil (the one at the top of the bun) a little bit loose -- enough so I slip the tip of my finger in the centre of the coil.

Fasten the ends down by wrapping the scrunchie around the base of the bun.

Then, take the first coil and gently open it up. With your thumbs, push the rest of the bun through the coil (like an inside-out bun). The scrunchie will keep the ends from slipping out and the bun rests comfortably close to your head.

Once I got used to doing it this way, it's surprisingly stable! I've even slept with it.

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Aha, I found an old video of myself demonstrating this bun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/wavelength/th_Bun1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v724/wavelength/?action=view&current=Bun1.flv)

Wavelength
October 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
(Delete this post please -- it was a double post.)

Darkhorse1
October 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Wavelength--nice video! I do that bun if I'm trying to get my hair out of my face quickly, but they never stay in for me. The ponytail/scrunchy bun works best for me--because it's secured. It takes a few tries to get the tails tucked properly and the right amount of tension, but it's a great style and easy to d0--the key is making sure you have a large scrunchie :)