PDA

View Full Version : Hair Forks Made from Knitting Needles?

lizzyjo
October 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'm sitting here knitting a hat and I just remembered that I read somewhere that metal knitting needles could be bent in a U shape to form a 2-pronged hair fork. Have any of you ever tried this? It sounds like an inexpensive way to add some hair toys to your collection. Are they fairly easy to bend with your hands? Which sizes work best?

lizzyjo
October 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Double-pointed knitting needles, of course.

Sherri
October 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I have wanted to try this also. I guess they are named after a member Wavelength. They say you could bend them over doorknob and I would guess they bend fairly easy. I went to wal-mart last night but forgot to look for knitting needle to try this? Sorry I can't be of much help to you.

intothemist1999
October 25th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm sitting here knitting a hat and I just remembered that I read somewhere that metal knitting needles could be bent in a U shape to form a 2-pronged hair fork. Have any of you ever tried this? It sounds like an inexpensive way to add some hair toys to your collection. Are they fairly easy to bend with your hands? Which sizes work best?

I'm not sure how easy they'll be to bend. I picked up a crochet hook some time ago, with some beads which I hope will fit once it's bent. I'm thinking one might need a vice to hold one end and possibly pliers to work the other end....maybe a curved form to shape it over (?)

ETA: silly me...I said CROCHET hooks, didn't I??

lizzyjo
October 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Bending it over a doorknob sounds like a good idea to try.

Sherri
October 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Let me know how it goes? What size knitting needles do you have?

freznow
October 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I bought a pack of these (http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/silvalume-double-point-knitting-needle-sock-set_pf-1036363_xp.aspx?club_id=1036363&sz=31&sf=CT0192&rdr=1&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engine-_-Froogle-_-Crafts%20And%20Sewing-_-Silvalume%20Double%20Point%20Knitting%20Needle%20S ock%20Set%203997090&cawelaid=144035819) at walmart once upon a time. I rather like the larger ones (0, 1) best. I just bend them (these are thin enough for that), some people put them over a doorknob.

orbiting
October 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I've done it... I used the DP knitting needles from Michael's. My fiance bent them for me. It works awesome.

lizzyjo
October 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Is DP a brand? What size did you use?

I just got back from Beverly's and the smallest ones they have are size 4. I am saddened.

Delila
October 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
DP= double pointed

Wrap the knitting needle in a small towel or cloth to prevent scratching it.

I've never had any trouble bending them around a doorknob.

Sherri
October 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I think edwine or someone metioned not using anything smaller than 3mm. But since I don't knit not sure what size that is. Heard someone here using size1.

Carolyn
October 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I've done it. It's very easy. I just bend the needle with my hands. They bend really easy. I used a size 5 or 6. I don't know what that is in mm size but I'm sure you can look it up on a knitting site. Walmart has way downsized their craft department so I don't know that they carry dpn's anymore. They used to. Michaels or Hobby Lobby should have them. I bought a set of 5 and made forks and gave one to everyone at the Omaha meet last summer. The dpn forks are very much like Quattro U pins.

lizzyjo
October 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I did it! This one is 5mm and I thought it was going to be way to thick to bend, but after gritting my teeth, I was able to get it into a U shape. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1129/hairfork1xz7.jpg
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/2016/hairfork2ll2.jpg

Akiko
October 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you for sharing ideas and photos. lizzyjo, it looks great and sturdy. I would like to try myself.

harley mama
October 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
They do work great. I have 2 sets. DH bent them for me.

KatKeRo
October 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I have done it.
I have some of 2mm and some of 2.5 mm thickness. They are sturdy enough for me.

Anje
October 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've got a couple, I think they're US size 2. I just marked the center point, then bent them by hand, which was quite easy. They hold wonderfully, though I am getting to the point where I need two of them to hold a cinnamon bun instead of just one. (My buns are starting to get quite 'spirally'.)

yogachic
October 25th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I will try this. Just my one lonely hair fork gets old, wearing the same one over and over.

misstwist
October 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I use a size 1 needle. Also, I buy size 9 bamboo double pointed needles to use as hairsticks.

truepeacenik
October 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I poppedintoa knitter shop and the workers are saying that metal is going by the wayside, so you might want to start stocking up.

intothemist1999
October 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I poppedintoa knitter shop and the workers are saying that metal is going by the wayside, so you might want to start stocking up.

GOOD HEAVENS! Who'da thought?? :( Thanks for the heads-up!

intothemist1999
October 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I did it! This one is 5mm and I thought it was going to be way to thick to bend, but after gritting my teeth, I was able to get it into a U shape. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1129/hairfork1xz7.jpg
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/2016/hairfork2ll2.jpg

Oh, that is SOOO pretty!! I wish I could find coloured ones!

Mely
October 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Intothemyst,
You can get coloured ones at Michaels--I got pink and blue ones there.

intothemist1999
October 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Intothemyst,
You can get coloured ones at Michaels--I got pink and blue ones there.

Oh! Ok, thanks! I'll add that to my shopping excursion on Monday! :D

Isa-belle
October 26th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Looks lovely! Has anyone tried to decorate them (paint, beads, whatever)?

florenonite
October 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Because American sizes are different from the rest of the world (where we tend to just use nice boring millimetres), Here's (http://www.knitlist.com/tools_resources/NeedSize.htm) a good needle conversion chart that I've found endlessly useful in knitting patterns created by American designers. Hopefully it will help in removing confusion as to what size is what.

lizzyjo
October 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Looks lovely! Has anyone tried to decorate them (paint, beads, whatever)?
Decorating with a bead is a good idea. You could find one with a wide hole, string it onto the unbent needle, and bend the needle around the bead so that it stays in place. That would look very nice.

Isa-belle
October 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, that would look nice!
You could even make one in polymer clay :)

Periwinkle
October 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I made some of these today. I bought 8 needles for £1 in a charity shop and bent them over knobs on a chest of drawers. They hold absolutely brilliantly!

PseudoScot
October 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I love these things! I used to wear them all the time and will probably go back to them.

They are also great fun when they slide out onto a hard floor. PING! Suddenly everyone is looking at you! :D

That said, they do hold quite well.

eccentricquirks
October 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have a set of these that I made from size 0s.

I suggest the higher sizes as these can bend back out a bit as they go through your hair, but they are wonderful for what I call "freeform" hairstyles - stuff that is pinned rather than clipped or sticked.

joyfulmom4
October 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm currently bent on (pun intended) creating some new hairtoys for myself from materials I have on hand. I dug out some old dpns in pink and light green. I intend to bend these and make them into forks. I don't own any forks yet, so I don't really have a clue what size or length would be best, but I'll give it a go. I may even attempt to create some polymer clay decorations for them. I don't think I have any existing beads with a large enough hole in them. I would love to see pics of some that have been embellished.

LaurelSpring
October 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I've got a bunch of these in different colors. I got some really thin ones from ebay and I found that I was able to put a couple of beads on it before I bent it. Its really cute. I got a couple more and I am going to try it again with some different beads.

Kaelee
August 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Resurrecting this old thread because I'm wearing one of these right now! I got to playing around last night...I gave up on them for a good long while but then I tried again last night.

This is seriously a marvelous little invention! It's so comfortable and secure (or seems to be for now) and so cheap and easy to make!

The hardest thing is getting the bend directly in the middle. Last time I tried it I had one prong longer than the other one! :lol:

Anje
August 12th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Measure twice, bend once? I mark the middle of mine before bending.

Carolyn
August 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM
It doesn't really matter much if the ends are slightly off. They still hold a bun well.

nobeltonya
August 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
These work well. And I bent them by hand. There were these nifty metallic blue needles, but they were too thick (size 10). :) :disco:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1052319_553043364751916_193331772_o.jpg

Anje
August 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM
It doesn't really matter much if the ends are slightly off. They still hold a bun well.
You're killing us OCD-esque folks, Carolyn!

Kaya
August 12th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I adore my bent knitting needles. In fact, they are my go-to for holding a quick nautilus. My other hair toys are a bit neglected as a result! :o For what it's worth, I bend mine around a regular tube of mascara. They turn out quite well, perfectly shaped and well-spaced. Just don't squeeze too hard or you risk denting the mascara tube. Unless you use an old or empty one. I have blue, red and purple ones, though I haven't gotten around to bending the red and purple ones.

Robot Ninja
August 12th, 2013, 03:01 PM
So, around here the only knitting needles I can find are the boring grey ones, which look like knitting needles. Anyone have any idea what you could use to paint them, so they don't look like knitting needles?

Carolyn
August 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM
So, around here the only knitting needles I can find are the boring grey ones, which look like knitting needles. Anyone have any idea what you could use to paint them, so they don't look like knitting needles?Nail polish works very well.

Silver Sister
August 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Found my blue knitting needles at WalMart and bent them around slim wooden cooking spoons handles. Gives a smaller arch but is fairly easy to bend around the wooden spoon.

SilknStarch
August 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Little OT here, I have recently bought a pack of 10 1/4" x 10" clear acrylic rods (6 bucks n change) and am hoping to get several single sticks, maybe some forks, and I am going to try binding 3 together applying heat and making a big spiral stick. We shall see. Hard to work with; so far I have sharpened my 1st single stick and have bound the 3 together for the spiral. Next up the hot part. I'm excited and hoping the result is as good as I envision it. Sorry about the hijack (couldn't resist.)

chen bao jun
August 12th, 2013, 05:56 PM
So, around here the only knitting needles I can find are the boring grey ones, which look like knitting needles. Anyone have any idea what you could use to paint them, so they don't look like knitting needles?

Your shop is too high end. the pretty colors come in the cheaper knitting dpns. I don't think walmart sells dpns anymore but try joann fabric or michaels rather than an actual knitting store. Also try good will. People are always donating their failed knitting projects there, often with needles still in them.

curlsgalore
August 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM
What size works best to make these, thickness and length? I haven't looked in a while but a while back I was having a hard time finding the right size...either too long or they were plastic or wood. :(
I will look again next time I'm out. :)

Natural_Locks24
August 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Can't wait to try this!

Crabbyco
August 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I have bent knitting needles everywhere I may need to bun...home bathroom, work bathroom, backpack and glove box in my scooter. They didn't cost anything cuz I found them in my grandmothers sewing cabinet that I inherited. I'm not going to be broken hearted if I loose them so I have them scattered through out my life.

Tootsie
August 13th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I just "made" some tonight. Pretty easy to bend and they are holding a bun as I type this. I bent a #3 (3.25 mm) and a #7 (4.5 mm). Needless to say the #3 was much easier to bend :) but the #7 was bent just using a flashlight and my hands. Really comfortable in my bun for a lazy hang out on the couch kinda night.

Kaelee
August 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I wish longer needles were available locally, as mine turned out to be too short to hold my favorite bun securely. I CAN however use UNbent ones quite well. :laugh: I guess though my hair is slippery, it works surprisingly well with something so thin.

Tootsie
August 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Amazon sells 10 inch ones but I don't think they are colored ones.

chen bao jun
August 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
7 inch doublepointed, people like different sizes ranging from 0's to about size 6 0r 7
http://www.joann.com/boye-double-point-aluminum-knitting-needles-7-/prd28052/
http://www.joann.com/susan-bates-quicksilver-double-pnt-knitting-needles-7-/prd27710/

SoftCurlyHair
August 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Great idea.

oatmealpie
August 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Advice from a knitter: you can always find double pointed needles (DPNs) on eBay for cheap. As folks have mentioned, they're also available at Michael's, JoAnn's, and most Goodwills. DPNs come in sets of 4 to 6. The wooden ones work as hair sticks, and the metal ones can be bent into a hair fork.

Here (http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/needleconv.html) is a knitting needle size chart (US/UK). Your best bet is a US 3 to 7, which is UK 3.25 to 4.5 mm.

Wildcat Diva
August 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I'm so doing this.