PDA

View Full Version : Measuring hair: hair can't grow 2 inches in a month right?

Mlarmour
April 29th, 2017, 05:40 PM
I'm a little confused. I thought hair could only grow 1/2 inch a month. I've been tracking my hair growth, inputting all the data into a hair growth data spreadsheet I found on here as it already had the excel formulas in it. According to my measurements I've grown 1.2 inches in just over 2 weeks which can't be right.
I'm measuring from the same spot every time I measure my hair, I use the furthest point of my widow's peak as it the most static part of my hair line and I've started to grow some hairs in the 'dips' of my widow's peak. Going off just the data I'd hit hip length in just over 8 months despite only currently being at shoulder length. I'm not doing anything particularly special to my hair to make it grow - I tried daktarin (monistat) when I first joined LHC but it gave me terrible headaches so I stopped after 3 applications.

So I'm a little confused. I'm almost certain I've measured my hair correctly but at the same time, it surely can't grow 2 inches in a month.

Hay_jules
April 29th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Your hair could have had a spurt in the two weeks and you might not see any more growth in the next two weeks. I've had exactly that happen (usually when i measure after only two weeks), and what was amazing growth for two weeks ended up being my growth for the month, or maybe another mm.

draysmir
April 29th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I find measuring can be quite inconsistent for me, but maybe you are measuring your hair correctly. I would take pictures and compare them, that would help determine whether you are actually growing that fast or not. I think Hay_jules has a good point though, you might have just gotten a growth spurt recently, and your growth might even out a bit more if you measure over a longer period of time. I've never really heard of someone getting much more than an inch or so a month consistently, but maybe that is the case for you! :)

Deborah
April 29th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Some people grow less than 1/2 inch per month and some grow more. Two inches per month is not impossible if a person has the right genetics for it. Just keep an eye on it for many months and I'm sure the truth will reveal itself over time.

akurah
April 29th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Honestly, the only way you could be sure your measurements are right are if you have dye demarcation or you were literally going from bald. Your initial measurement may have been inaccurate. Your later measurement may have been inaccurate (but if multiple "later" measurements are the same, the initial one's the inaccurate one).

Or, while rare--it's probably not impossible to have 2 inch growth in a month. (that said, the odds of having sustained 2 inch growth a month ongoing is probably literally unheard of)

Pick the one you like the most and go with that. :cool:

Aredhel
April 30th, 2017, 03:05 AM
I've had both growth spurts and growth stalls in my hair. Definitely possible!

lapushka
April 30th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Some people grow less than 1/2 inch per month and some grow more. Two inches per month is not impossible if a person has the right genetics for it. Just keep an eye on it for many months and I'm sure the truth will reveal itself over time.

Yes, the "average" is 1/2 of an inch a month; that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to that.

Either you measured wrong, which... it could be as simple as that, or you have had a growth spurt, if 2 inches is not the norm for you.

Andthetalltrees
April 30th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I've had my hair grow 2 inches in a month, And then didn't grow at all for a couple months. Hair growth isn't exactly linear or follow an exact pattern sometimes. I end up with a bit above average hair growth per year, But usually it goes in spurts and stalls where it grows more sometimes then others(And I think that's pretty normal from what I've seen here.)

spidermom
April 30th, 2017, 12:18 PM
It is possible but not likely. I have kept records in the past and noticed that my hair grows in spurts and stalls. One month I might get 3/4 of an inch and another month I might get less than 1/4 of an inch. The season makes a difference. My hair grows fastest in summer and fall, slowest in winter. Keep paying attention and you'll discover what your hair does.

Mlarmour
April 30th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks, I'll keep measuring and see what happens. I suppose I was just worried it would grow overly fast and then shed like crazy again - I don't think I'm prepared to lose half my hair again.

akurah
April 30th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Thanks, I'll keep measuring and see what happens. I suppose I was just worried it would grow overly fast and then shed like crazy again - I don't think I'm prepared to lose half my hair again.

I don't know if a growth spurt would necessarily herald a shed. I think what more likely to happen is your hair next month might be like "eh, we hit the quota for both this and last month, let's slack off" and simply grow a little less for a bit. (also, that doesn't mean it will happen, but it's more likely than a shed imo)

Mlarmour
April 30th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Since it's started growing back, it hasn't really shed in over a month. Like no hairs in my hairbrush, no odd strands when washing my hair which is where the worry came front. I've been more stressed than usual with job interviews and pain flare ups, stress usually makes my hair fall out. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it will just slack off next month Akurah.

HairFanson
October 31st, 2018, 04:32 PM
Since it's started growing back, it hasn't really shed in over a month. Like no hairs in my hairbrush, no odd strands when washing my hair which is where the worry came front. I've been more stressed than usual with job interviews and pain flare ups, stress usually makes my hair fall out. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it will just slack off next month Akurah.

Mine grew just over 2 inches from Sept 26, to Oct 27.... I have a dye demarcation and pics to prove it! LOL. Guess I'll see what happens in the next few months, but the inversion method, and scalp massage must have done something since I decided to start growing my hair again last month (after deciding to get it healthier over the last year and maintain the length).

Looking forward to see how we grow!