PDA

View Full Version : maybe Seborrheic Dermatitis?

sourkitteh
April 29th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Hi again!, i got such a lovely welcome and response to some questions last time that ive returned :joy: in my original post, i was upset about thinning hair and how the doctors didnt think there was anything wrong, it was just a case of my hair thinning (iron levels etc were fine)

i decided to stop using castor oil on my scalp and in fact avoided all oils on my scalp for the last month and what ive noticed is, less shedding! (well most days) if its a washing hair day then i do get quite a bit of shed, but normally the hairs that have been shed havent went over 80 (rough estimate). but the rest of the time, my brush has been less hairy lol. this is the good part...

now for the not so good. my head still itches every so often, and ive noticed that when i do itch (i do try not too and i am getting so much better at it, i promise!) my head seems to be quite spotty and bumpy. i dont see any flakes or dandruff but ive noticed today that there is slight redness but also very faded yellow "spots" so now im thinking could it be seborrheic dermatitis just without the flakiness? would going back to using the coconut oil help to ease some issues with my scalp (im also going back to using selsun shampoo twice a week, but im not that keen on using something medicated on my scalp for the long run)

(in terms of my thinning, theres a lot of baby hairs, one side of my head does seems to be less sparse...still thin though. but the side i sleep on still seems the worst off sadly. but im working on being okay with it, ive even wore my hair down a few times and not freaked out as much. im hoping if i can get this new issue sorted then its all the more positive for the on going journey of my hair)

lapushka
April 29th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Some people can't tolerate oils on the scalp, some due to SD, some due to excessive shedding as a result. Conditioner can do the same thing. The excessive shedding with them is a "thing".

now for the not so good. my head still itches every so often, and ive noticed that when i do itch (i do try not too and i am getting so much better at it, i promise!) my head seems to be quite spotty and bumpy. i dont see any flakes or dandruff but ive noticed today that there is slight redness but also very faded yellow "spots" so now im thinking could it be seborrheic dermatitis just without the flakiness? would going back to using the coconut oil help to ease some issues with my scalp (im also going back to using selsun shampoo twice a week, but im not that keen on using something medicated on my scalp for the long run)

(in terms of my thinning, theres a lot of baby hairs, one side of my head does seems to be less sparse...still thin though. but the side i sleep on still seems the worst off sadly. but im working on being okay with it, ive even wore my hair down a few times and not freaked out as much. im hoping if i can get this new issue sorted then its all the more positive for the on going journey of my hair)

I'd go to the doctor and have him or her take a look at it. No two conditions are alike, and you cannot treat this yourself. You would need a medicated (aka prescribed) shampoo for it.

I would not put oil on the scalp again, if I were you.

sourkitteh
April 29th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Some people can't tolerate oils on the scalp, some due to SD, some due to excessive shedding as a result. Conditioner can do the same thing. The excessive shedding with them is a "thing".

I'd go to the doctor and have him or her take a look at it. No two conditions are alike, and you cannot treat this yourself. You would need a medicated (aka prescribed) shampoo for it.

I would not put oil on the scalp again, if I were you.

i used cocnout oil for years before all this seemed to kick off, i guess im just trying to go back to how it was *sigh*

thanks for the quick response though :D

Suze
April 29th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Yes, have it checked out by a doctor to make sure. :flower:

starlamelissa
April 29th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I am not sure where you are, but in the US Head and Shoulders has put out a fragrance free dandruff shampoo called "purely gentle". Id highly recommend giving it a try, it has made my scalp and hair very happy.

sourkitteh
April 29th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Yes, have it checked out by a doctor to make sure. :flower:

Thanks for the response 😀

I was at the doctor about 2 months ago and he recommended the selsun shampoo as he noticed my scalp was red and that i had been itching at it. I just didnt think it could have been the SD as my scalp has never been flaky etc before, but then j had been oiling my scalp for months before.

I think ill see how my scalp reacts with regular use of the selsun, before j go back to see the doctor....i think im getting to the stage with dr. Visits where theyre arent that keen or inclined to help anymore (the last time it was recommended thaf i use minoxidil and get over it?)

sourkitteh
April 29th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I am not sure where you are, but in the US Head and Shoulders has put out a fragrance free dandruff shampoo called "purely gentle". Id highly recommend giving it a try, it has made my scalp and hair very happy.

Im in the uk, but i think ill keep a look out for something similar. I do currently use a sulfate free shampoo but im not sure if this is still working or not 😞

Thanks for the reply 😊

Suze
April 29th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Yes, you could try that, but if it gets worse don't try to fix it yourself. Also, with haircare, what helps for me is always making sure my scalp is happy. For me that means no oil at all and no SLS on my scalp.

sourkitteh
April 30th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Yes, you could try that, but if it gets worse don't try to fix it yourself. Also, with haircare, what helps for me is always making sure my scalp is happy. For me that means no oil at all and no SLS on my scalp.

my scalp was such a happy little toaster until a year ago when it decided to start stressing out and thinning my hair, the only thing ive done recently (the last coulpe of months) is use castor oil on my scalp, which ive since stopped, so i dont know if it was something to do with that or if my head is just annoying as everything else in my hair care routine is identical to how its always been. its a strange one. but i will certainly go and see the doc if it does get worse!

starlamelissa
April 30th, 2017, 07:51 AM
sulphate free shampoos dont work for everyone, I and another member here have had scalp issues with going sulphate free. something to think about.

lapushka
April 30th, 2017, 08:20 AM
sulphate free shampoos dont work for everyone, I and another member here have had scalp issues with going sulphate free. something to think about.

Yep I have had issues from going sulfate-free. It exacerbated the SD. As well as CO-washing and WO, and SO (esp. SO) - tried it all (well, almost all, I bet there's other methods out there). Sulfates for the win. But it is so *so* individual.

Andthetalltrees
April 30th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Yep I have had issues from going sulfate-free. It exacerbated the SD. As well as CO-washing and WO, and SO (esp. SO) - tried it all (well, almost all, I bet there's other methods out there). Sulfates for the win. But it is so *so* individual.

I'm the same way!

lapushka
April 30th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I'm the same way!

I love it that there's more of us out there. :) :thumbsup:

There must be something to it, you know, keeping the scalp squeaky clean is so important with SD!