PDA

View Full Version : Why in the world do i get that many split ends??

CreatureBailey
April 28th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Ok so I was S&D'ing like crazy let's say a month and a half ago

Like crazy

Trimming off all the split ends possible

Then I got a cold that lasted for like a month so I was just not doing that anymore but now I look in my hair and like it's full of splits and white dots and I'm like why the royal heck is that here

I don't use heat at all I wash every three days I do masks I do whatever my hair needs and I don't do what it doesn't need for crying out loud why the heck is it all splitted and full of white dots too I mean it doesnt make sense this is so annoying

I freaking hate how fragile it is you sleep with a mask on your head the whole night to take care of hair and make it grow and then you try to detangle it you get clumsy and it breaks. I hate how fragile it is I hate how I wanna make it grow long and even if I treat it good it should be healthy but it keeps splitting for fun or something

I hate how I'm in the near classic abyss where I need a few cm for classic and its just so annoying how its not there

I hate how my hair is technically super long cause technically its near classic but it never looks like anything cause its just i dont know it never looks like anything it sucks my hair sucks it sucks

i hate everything

Sarahlabyrinth
April 28th, 2017, 09:59 PM
You might be just one of those people who is just prone to split ends. Which aren't the end of the world. Please don't go around hating things about yourself, it doesn't solve anything and just makes you more miserable. :grouphug: Almost classic is a wonderful achievement! Think about all the things you can be grateful for.

LauraLongLocks
April 28th, 2017, 10:02 PM

Like crazy

Then I got a cold that lasted for like a month so I was just not doing that anymore but now I look in my hair and like it's full of splits and white dots and I'm like why the royal heck is that here

I don't use heat at all I wash every three days I do masks I do whatever my hair needs and I don't do what it doesn't need for crying out loud why the heck is it all splitted and full of white dots too I mean it doesnt make sense this is so annoying

I freaking hate how fragile it is you sleep with a mask on your head the whole night to take care of hair and make it grow and then you try to detangle it you get clumsy and it breaks. I hate how fragile it is I hate how I wanna make it grow long and even if I treat it good it should be healthy but it keeps splitting for fun or something

I hate how I'm in the near classic abyss where I need a few cm for classic and its just so annoying how its not there

I hate how my hair is technically super long cause technically its near classic but it never looks like anything cause its just i dont know it never looks like anything it sucks my hair sucks it sucks

i hate everything

You must have my hair... oh wait... we are indeed hair type twins, and almost hair length twins as well!

It is very fragile hair, and mine does the exact same thing as far as getting more dots and splits. I learned that it likes very occasional protein treatments and to do a LOT of deep moisture treatments. I also protect my ends as much as I can by spritzing conditioner/water on them, then applying a little oil between my normal washes. It helps keep the ends feeling supple and soft.

And to speak to the part about everything sucking and you hating everything... I hope your day improves. I've been there. :)

CreatureBailey
April 28th, 2017, 10:36 PM
But why do IIIIII have to be more prone to split eeeennnnndddddssssssssssssssssssss :'( :'( :(

And yeah omg we are hair type twins i was wondering if there was one like me :O

littlestarface
April 28th, 2017, 11:07 PM
Lol count me in the "why me" club.

Shiranshoku
April 29th, 2017, 04:39 AM
My hair also continues to have splits even though I treat it like royalty. Frustrating, to be sure. But I find S&D'ing kind of relaxing, so I try to look at it from the bright side. :-)

lapushka
April 29th, 2017, 05:13 AM

I would not sleep with anything in my hair, it is wet the whole night and that might make it weak + the friction = not ideal.

I would just condition well, and maybe try the LOC/LCO method for moisture; you need to keep it well moisturized after the wash. That's the thing.

Borgessa
April 29th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Can I just give you a hug? ) CreatureBailey ( I totally understand your frustration, my hair is fragile also.. I say just looking at it, is too much for it lol

lapushka
April 29th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Yeah, don't let it get to you so bad... I've been through lots of damage. Thank goodness it is better now. Perm/heat damage aka lots of white dots and a few splits. I'm not particularly prone to splits, but then I keep my hair *insanely* moisturized (esp. after washing, that's where it counts).

Arctic
April 29th, 2017, 05:39 AM
I think a hair type has a very huge effect on this. But don't be surprised either when you "LHC grown" hair will reach your hemline, if you see decrease on the split situation. This is probably one of those things that you just need to do th best you can with the hair type you have, and try to take preventative measures. I agree with Lapushka though, that if you've been doing only super moisturising over night DTs and seen no imporovements, then I would stop those. Sometimes hair can get weak if it's overly conditioner too.

If it makes you feel better I almost never see or pay attention to actual splits on other people (in normal conversation/public situation I am not close enough to see). I notice if hair looks damaged and fried, but not actual splits. It's very likely you notice them the most yourself.

I hope you get to classic soon!

Kaelee
April 29th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Same here... I do everything right and my hair is thick, shiny, soft, everything it's supposed to be....and splits. :huh: I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it because I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just what my hair does.

Anje
April 29th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I think a hair type has a very huge effect on this. But don't be surprised either when you "LHC grown" hair will reach your hemline, if you see decrease on the split situation. This is probably one of those things that you just need to do th best you can with the hair type you have, and try to take preventative measures. I agree with Lapushka though, that if you've been doing only super moisturising over night DTs and seen no imporovements, then I would stop those. Sometimes hair can get weak if it's overly conditioner too.

If it makes you feel better I almost never see or pay attention to actual splits on other people (in normal conversation/public situation I am not close enough to see). I notice if hair looks damaged and fried, but not actual splits. It's very likely you notice them the most yourself.

I hope you get to classic soon!

I second this. When you get 100% post-LHC hair, you might find that you have fewer splits. Probably still some, if your hair is prone to it (I never got rid of them entirely either), but with time it gradually gets better simply because the hair has had special care from the moment it emerged from your head. Keep doing it right, keep trying not to snap hairs when you detangle. It's a seriously slow process, especially when you're still growing instead of maintaining, but you'll see improvements.

ETA: I suggest changing goals. When I started off, I was going for no more than 10% of the hairs on my head having splits in them. Eventually, that was achieved. Then it was that it had to be a single-digit percentage. Then a low single-digit. I'd say I eventually had it so that no more than 1-2% of the hairs on my head had splits. That was achievable and comfortable. Absolutely no splits is nearly impossible if you have hair that splits.

littlestarface
April 29th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Its funny most of us who get splits for nothing n I mean literally for nothing have f/m hair.

moon_witch
April 29th, 2017, 12:12 PM
My hair is the same. Trying different hair care methods and finding what works for me definitely helped a lot but I don't think I'll ever have no split ends at all, especially at this length. But that's totally okay! You just need to learn to accept it and work with what you have.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 29th, 2017, 02:14 PM
My hair is the same way. Very easily broken. Do you detangle with a comb? I went no brush/no comb only finger detangling and using a comb once in a blue moon. Using a brush or tangle teezer lead to sooo many splits for me.

rouxlala
April 29th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I'm asking myself the same question. About to do another S&D, myself.

spidermom
April 29th, 2017, 08:44 PM
By the time I reached classic length, the last 7 inches were trashed. You couldn't tell in pictures, but it was sheer Velcro. It was 100% LHC grown hair, too. That's part of the reason I'm wearing my hair much shorter now. I felt like I was sacrificing a lot to take care of my hair, and it wasn't rewarding me. So off it went and now I'm having fun styling shoulder length hair, even using the flat iron every once in awhile. Take that, ungrateful hairs!

JillRenee
April 29th, 2017, 08:47 PM
I get lots of split ends too, it's very frustrating. I blame the hair dye. I have been covering gray with Natural Instincts dye for years. The dyed "bottom" is dryer, rougher, and Velcro-y. This would be at the least the last 6 inches or so.

Aredhel
April 29th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I used to hardly ever get split ends at all, until I started bleaching my hair. Now I very much feel your pain. It's especially heartbreaking to find the ones that look like multiple forks in one strand..... :cry:

draysmir
April 29th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Are you sure your scissors are sharp? If they're dull then that could be the reason why you're seeing a lot of splits and white dots a month after you trimmed a lot of them off. I get white dots and some splits too though, no matter what I do. I have fine hair, so I'm naturally prone to damage, so I've just had to kind of accept that I will likely always have some damage no matter what I try to do to prevent it. Just because you have some split ends, doesn't mean you can't grow long hair though! I'm sure you'll be at classic length in no time :)

Shiranshoku
April 30th, 2017, 02:23 AM
I actually find the more extreme splits fascinating! Sometimes, I won't have a split at the end but an inch or so upwards the strand Ill split, only to come back together. Soooooooo strange!

hayheadsbird
April 30th, 2017, 08:30 AM
I actually find the more extreme splits fascinating! Sometimes, I won't have a split at the end but an inch or so upwards the strand Ill split, only to come back together. Soooooooo strange!
The mid shaft splits are fascinating. I always kinda wonder just what it was I did to cause it to split like that!

littlestarface
April 30th, 2017, 08:31 AM
The mid shaft splits are fascinating. I always kinda wonder just what it was I did to cause it to split like that!

You mean the one where you bend it and it separates?

hayheadsbird
April 30th, 2017, 08:51 AM
That's the ones!

school of fish
April 30th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Like the eye of a needle, I think - I rarely get those (I get the Y ones and the occasional tree branch) but when I get those needle eye ones I'm always weirdly fascinated by them :p

littlestarface
April 30th, 2017, 09:06 AM
That's the ones!

I always wondered how in the heck I make those come about becuz I literally only braid n comb my hair ever lol

Like the eye of a needle, I think - I rarely get those (I get the Y ones and the occasional tree branch) but when I get those needle eye ones I'm always weirdly fascinated by them :p
Me too I play with them for a bit after I cut them off lool

lithostoic
April 30th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Try sharpening your scissors

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 30th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Sending you :grouphug: CreatureBailey . Just hang in there.

LauraLongLocks
April 30th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Try sharpening your scissors

Are you sure your scissors are sharp? If they're dull then that could be the reason why you're seeing a lot of splits and white dots a month after you trimmed a lot of them off. I get white dots and some splits too though, no matter what I do. I have fine hair, so I'm naturally prone to damage, so I've just had to kind of accept that I will likely always have some damage no matter what I try to do to prevent it. Just because you have some split ends, doesn't mean you can't grow long hair though! I'm sure you'll be at classic length in no time :)

I wanted to give another voice to this idea. I bought another pair of scissors and have had a lot less trouble with my splits since then, so sharpening your scissors might be just what you need to do.

Andthetalltrees
April 30th, 2017, 01:14 PM
I wanted to give another voice to this idea. I bought another pair of scissors and have had a lot less trouble with my splits since then, so sharpening your scissors might be just what you need to do.

This is encouraging me to get some new scissors, I've had a cheapie pair for a few years now. I really haven't cut my hair in a year now but when I do find the occasional wonky end I cut off and then I find a split later so I think it might be causing them now :rolleyes:

samanthaa
April 30th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Apologies that I haven't read through this whole thread, but I'd just like to say that I have a small ton of split ends, and I don't think I'll ever not have a small ton of split ends. I've seen people here before say they've gone to S&D and only found one split on their end head...and it makes my jaw drop.

I think it's hair type. My fine hair is simply prone to splits. Luckily for me, they aren't very noticeable (I think the fineness of my hair also helps to hide that, because overall my hair appears very soft) and they done get much worse--e.g., I don't really fine hairs that have split far up the shaft.

I don't S&D anymore. It draws my attention to them, and it doesn't help any. They always come back. I've more or less accepted them. I barely notice them anymore.

ETA: I have a very nice, very expensive pair of hair scissors that have been used for nothing but hair, so I know that that's not the problem.

Jo Ann
April 30th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I'm going to experiment with different buns for a while--I think some of my splits are coming from the hair having the same type of stress on it all the time.

So far, no Christmas tree split ends! Thank God for conditioners and oils/serums! How on Earth did I go for so long without using those?? I'll blame laziness (no conditioners) and ignorance (no oils/serums) :couch:

cactus89
April 30th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I honestly believe that the condition of your hair is 80% genetics and 20% care. Granted, not taking care of your hair can really compromise its appearance and health, but I think that, after you stop heat styling and using lousy products and dyeing your hair, what you have left is what you have to work with, and for some people that includes split ends. If you're treating your hair well (and it sounds like you are) it might just be your hair's natural state, at least at that length. You can accept them or cut them off, but I doubt anyone else notices them.

My whole philosophy is that if my hair feels soft, is tangle-free, and looks okay three feet from a mirror, then it's passable and anything else I see upon further inspection means I'm looking too close.

Perfection does not exist; acceptance is key. You can have beautiful, long hair that has split ends or other genetic abnormalities (Monilethrix, Trichorrhexis Nodosa, etc.).

Sarahlabyrinth
April 30th, 2017, 05:58 PM
I honestly believe that the condition of your hair is 80% genetics and 20% care. Granted, not taking care of your hair can really compromise its appearance and health, but I think that, after you stop heat styling and using lousy products and dyeing your hair, what you have left is what you have to work with, and for some people that includes split ends. If you're treating your hair well (and it sounds like you are) it might just be your hair's natural state, at least at that length. You can accept them or cut them off, but I doubt anyone else notices them.

My whole philosophy is that if my hair feels soft, is tangle-free, and looks okay three feet from a mirror, then it's passable and anything else I see upon further inspection means I'm looking too close.

Perfection does not exist; acceptance is key. You can have beautiful, long hair that has split ends or other genetic abnormalities (Monilethrix, Trichorrhexis Nodosa, etc.).

Well said...and very true!

MotherofJames
April 30th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Like crazy

i hate everything

I used to get split ends alot, it was so hard to not get a split end as my hair started to grow out. Years and years I would always see them and be like WTH is wrong with me?
Then one day, I stopped detangling. I stopped detangling when my hair was wet and also dry. I never combed it, or brushed it; wet. Ever. I would let it airdry without putting a comb to it, and then after it was dried, I would slowly take my all natural boars bristle brush and start to brush it. Only boars bristle, super soft. Once it was brushed out with the boars bristle, I could then go in with another brush or comb (for styling if need be) if there was any knots or anything to detangle, which at this point, hardly/barely never is. The boars bristle takes care of most of it, so if I have to look more presentable, Ill use my wooden regular plastic brush or comb very lightly to achieve the look. That is what worked for me and my hair type. I am sure you will find a plan for yours as well too! best of luck with it, i know its hard :-(

CreatureBailey
May 1st, 2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys I love ya :P

Althought my scissors are made specially to cut hair. I dont cut other stuff with it

enting
May 3rd, 2017, 12:10 PM
You say you were sick for a month. When I get sick, I often don't have the energy to care for my hair the way I do when I feel well. I often leave it in whatever state it is for sleeping, waking, what-have-you, and by the time I feel better there are often tangles and breakage galore just from all the tangling and ignoring it. A friend of mine was sick for a while and when she felt better again, her hair was basically one giant dreadlock and she really thought she had to cut it all off. (I sat with her to gently detangle a bunch of it, at least enough to give her confidence that it could truly be detangled and she didn't have to lose her length.) It's really not unusual for hair to become unhappy when we're sick. So glad you're feeling better!

Chromis
May 3rd, 2017, 02:00 PM
I def had an improvement after all my hair was LHC hair, but I always get splits, no matter what I routine I have tried and all through my canopy, not just ends. Trimming keeps my hemline tidy, but does nothing for splits.

What has helped, is doing a fast S&D each morning. I try to limit myself only to 5-10 splits. At first this was like snipsnipsnipsnipsnip. Then it was like snipsnip..snips..snip snip. And now it is like snip.....snip.....snip....snipsnip. The reason I limit my number of snips is that I would find myself standing there for half an hour with a sore neck and then running late! Counting to five though, I can manage that.

I get a lot more splits and shedding when I have been super sick or when I have just lost a bunch of weight. Glad to hear you are feeling better though!

lapushka
May 3rd, 2017, 02:36 PM

I think I agree with that. And often that 20% is the type of brush, how you brush, how often you brush, how you "handle" the hair for the most part, etc.

Dark40
May 3rd, 2017, 08:39 PM
I agree with all of the above. Don't let it get to you so bad. Maybe you can try a deep moisturizing conditioner that's out there to prevent split ends. You might need cones or silicones in your hair. Those help me to keep from getting split ends!!!

school of fish
May 4th, 2017, 05:38 AM

What has helped, is doing a fast S&D each morning. I try to limit myself only to 5-10 splits. At first this was like snipsnipsnipsnipsnip. Then it was like snipsnip..snips..snip snip. And now it is like snip.....snip.....snip....snipsnip. The reason I limit my number of snips is that I would find myself standing there for half an hour with a sore neck and then running late! Counting to five though, I can manage that.

Oh this is an interesting approach! I like this - I'm going to start trying it out myself :)

To address the OP - you're in good company, I have plenty of splits too, in spite of over 3 years' worth of LHC care now :) I agree with what others have said, that it just seems to go with with the territory of this fine hair type. Mine honestly don't bother me visually - I just try to keep on top of them as much as reasonable to reduce grabbiness and velcroing... but I think I've made my peace that they'll never be eradicated completely. :)

spidermom
May 4th, 2017, 07:53 AM
I only have shoulder length hair right now, and last night when I pulled the shed hairs out of my comb, I noticed that 2 of them had splits, one of them open at least an inch. Damn!