PDA

View Full Version : Short damaged hair in the neck, how to avoid?

Missdutch
April 28th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I couldn't find an existing thread on this subject. I hope I'm not the onoy one having this problem? My hair is BSL, but my hair in my neck is very short, as long as an pony at the front of your face would be. It's always broken and fragile. Is it because I wear it loose? Can I avoid this in any way, without keeping my hair up like 24/7?

Missdutch
April 28th, 2017, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry, I can't edit the title, because I'm new, I guess. But i mean 'short'. I stead of shart. Sorry.

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Take a look at the wispy hair club thread, and see if it's like this at all (there are some pictures there too):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Suze
April 28th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Do you wear necklaces that could potentially break you hair? Also, the hair at nape of your neck are just shorter, the same goes for around your entire hairline. Are you sure it is breakage? I guess it is normal that hairs around the hairline are more fragile. Mine are anyway.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 28th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Mine are personally more fragile, have a shorter terminal length, and probably break off due to rubbing against clothing etc.
If you wear your hair down a lot, this is going to be the main culprit. You need to wear it up more often. Thats really the only solution.
My wispy hairs towards my neck got longer when they were included in my buns the second they got long enough.

Aredhel
April 28th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Do you wear necklaces that could potentially break you hair? Also, the hair at nape of your neck are just shorter, the same goes for around your entire hairline. Are you sure it is breakage? I guess it is normal that hairs around the hairline are more fragile. Mine are anyway.

THIS. I lost a lot of hair a couple years ago because tons of hairs in my nape would get torn out every single day by the clasp of my necklace that I never took off. I didn't realise how big of a deal this was until I noticed my hem was much shorter in the middle than on the sides... :( Like my hem literally looked like this /\ because most of the hairs in my nape were gone. :( It was such a huge setback... so I never wear necklaces constantly anymore.

Darian Moone
April 28th, 2017, 05:43 PM
I'll triple that thought!

It seems I always get breakage at the nape because any necklace I wear seems to be a hair magnet. I get additional breakage there in the winter from the higher collar of coats and jackets constantly causing friction in the area. The canopy of my hair covers it, but I know those broken and shorter hairs are under there! Drives me nuts.

rusika1
April 29th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I think nape hair (and for some people the hair around their temples) often has completely different characteristics than the rest of the hair. I have 2a, classic length hair, yet my nape hair forms pretty tight ringlets and stretched seems to have a terminal length of about 5 inches. I don't wear necklaces or clothing with neck tags or fasteners, and my hair is always braided or bunned, so it isn't a mechanical damage issue.

In conclusion, everyone's hair is different.:soapbox: ;)

pandabarrier
April 29th, 2017, 04:08 PM
I have mechanical damage on my nape hair, from using old bobby pins. I threw away all the old bobby pins with rough edges, that were ripping through my hair.
I'm also trying to be more gentle when putting and removing bobby pins on the nape.

Missdutch
May 1st, 2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the tios. I think wearing it loose and 24/7 wearing necklaces causes my damage. I'm going to put my hair up from now on as soon as im at home, in the car etc. Also no more necklace 24/7!

Suze
May 1st, 2017, 01:07 PM
I hope you see lots of improvement this way. You could also try to wear your hair up more when your out and about. Their are a lot of beautiful and simple updo's you could try.

Aredhel
May 1st, 2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the tios. I think wearing it loose and 24/7 wearing necklaces causes my damage. I'm going to put my hair up from now on as soon as im at home, in the car etc. Also no more necklace 24/7!

Good luck! Putting my hair up constantly was a huge game changer for me (as well as taking that destructive necklace off.....)... eventually you will notice the huge difference that it makes on the health of your hair. :)

akurah
May 2nd, 2017, 12:42 AM

While wearing your hair up is in general infinitely more conducive to long hair, unless it's getting tangled there when you wear it down, wearing it down isn't necessarily the cause. It's probably the necklaces.