PDA

View Full Version : Do you let conditioner touch your scalp?

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 27th, 2017, 06:41 PM
I know some members here absolutely do not like conditioner on their scalp and do their best to avoid it. Especially those of us with SD as it can cause flare ups or clog pores. And I know the reason behind avoiding it... so this is more of a question for those of us that do let conditioner touch their scalp.

I myself, although having SD, have always let conditioner touch my scalp and have indeed massaged it in to my scalp as well and have done it for years without problems. In fact my scalp prefers it, I do not know why but my scalp tends to be too TOO dry without conditioner on the scalp so I always rub it into my scalp after shampooing. Along with taking a glob and squishing it through the length. When I try to not let conditioner touch my scalp, it gets the itchies.
Now, I know some of you are co-washers, but I am going to forget about that for a moment. So co washers, you don't count!
Gaha -- but how many of you, that are not co-washers and use shampoo like I do, DO let conditioner touch the scalp?
Do you see a difference in your hair vs. when you don't get any on the scalp?
Do you refrain from letting coney-conditioners touch the scalp and do you see a difference between a cone conditioner vs. a non-cone?

I have used both a cone and non-cone on my scalp, and my scalp seems to prefer cones though the difference isn't large.
My current conditioner has demthicone in it, sort of low on the ingredient list, but it seems to be ok even though I have been told that demthicone can lead to hair loss, etc etc etc.

ETA: This is more of a question for those of us that DO let conditioner touch their scalp.
I was wondering whom else does this because I feel like I am alone in this.
For those of you that do not, I already know why you would not, so there is not a need for input. :)

wispe
April 27th, 2017, 07:00 PM
I cwc with conditioner on the length only, but if I do a DT or refresh my color I slather it all up into my scalp. Or if I get oil on my scalp, I cowash it off. I've never had a real issue with conditioner on my scalp as far as irritation or shedding goes but I'm stretching washes and I can stretch further if I don't condition to my scalp every time I wash. I do add my oils/leave-in pretty far up though, I usually run my fingers through the ends and then I rake it through near the scalp with what's left. I'm sulfate free and mostly silicone free, and my scalp seems happiest with that.

I am currently alternating full washes with scalp-only washes with 2-4 days between and am considering conditioning up to my scalp or cowashing more frequently, still figuring out what my hair wants most.

draysmir
April 27th, 2017, 07:26 PM
No, I never put conditioner (cones/no-cones) near my scalp, I put it on from about shoulders down. My hair has always been naturally on the more greasy side, so adding conditioner to my scalp just makes it a lot worse. I don't recall where I heard this, but I remember being told that you're not supposed to put conditioner on your head, so that's also why I don't do that I guess. If my scalp didn't get greasier from adding conditioner, then I probably would use it on my scalp since the unconditioned hair is more rough and hard to manage.

physicschick
April 27th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I hardly ever put conditioner on my scalp. I do when I'm washing out henna (since I basically CO wash it out), but then I follow that with a couple rounds of shampoo to remove the conditioner residue. Otherwise my scalp becomes itchy and greasy.

Anje
April 27th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Yes, regularly. My skin, including my scalp, tends to be dry and can overproduce oil in response to dryness. Conditioner is a lot like lotion and seems to alleviate the tightness I get it I only shampoo the scalp and prevents me getting little dry flakes.

Past experience is that I can go longer between washes with CO washing than with traditional S&C. The joys of skin that gets dry easily.... (I don't CO wash currently. At least, not consistently.)

I don't tend to use much that's heavily silicone-y, because my length wasn't very fond of it.

nitagurl
April 27th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Of course I do. I have dry skin and my right hand is prone to eczema outbreaks, just on the palm. Aside from the fact that I've never heard of someone NOT putting conditioner on their scalp, i can't imagine the dry world I'd live in if i didn't. From root to tip, i feel completely hydrated.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 27th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Of course I do. I have dry skin and my right hand is prone to eczema outbreaks, just on the palm. Aside from the fact that I've never heard of someone NOT putting conditioner on their scalp, i can't imagine the dry world I'd live in if i didn't. From root to tip, i feel completely hydrated.

Same! I have rosacea and it makes my skin dry, sometimes I wonder if the skin on our faces is similar to the skin on our scalps.

school of fish
April 27th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I also regularly use conditioner on my scalp, always have. Somehow I never got the memo that says you're only supposed to use it from the ears down ;) My whole hair from root to tip will tangle much more easily without conditioner than with - so I use it to counteract the tangles.

I've never had SD issues, flakes, itchies, or any other scalp problems other than oil production, so I don't have any sensitivities that prohibit using conditioner right up to my scalp. I've also never had shedding issues to have to be mindful of, so I guess I've never really had a reason *not* to use it above the ears :)

MoonRabbit
April 27th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Yes I use conditioner on my scalp. I don't rub it in though. I like to fingercomb the conditioner from tip to root. I never had a problem with conditioner touching my scalp, as long as I use shampoo. When I was experimenting with Co washing, it made my scalp itch like crazy and caused a major shed.

I feel like if I didn't condition all my hair, my regrowth would be all over the place.

Aredhel
April 27th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Nope. Never. I shed like crazy if I put conditioner on my scalp. My scalp gets quite oily too so it definitely doesn't need to be conditioned. I condition from the chin down. :)

cactus89
April 27th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Yes! Since childhood. My combination of fine/thick means that I have a prodigious mass of knots if I don't use a little on my scalp.

yahirwaO.o
April 28th, 2017, 12:09 AM
Sometimes I mean my hair is super short and also belong to the fineys who condition first before shampooing and feels so nice this way. Still I avoid it because im steching my washes and have naturally super oily hair.

Crystawni
April 28th, 2017, 01:04 AM
I S & C'd all my hair just about daily my entire life until I joined LHC 3 years ago. Then I was on the CWC (C ears down) bandwagon, later alternating with WCC (still C ears down), with the only scalp conditioner coming from SMTs. Sometimes my hair even preferred no conditioner at all, and is lighter with more volume without it, although it was frizzier and seemed dull. And then I started using conditioner on my scalp after a deep cleansing, which lead to maybe a conditioning smear-over after each wash. But after years of a burning and sometimes painfully itchy scalp that was worse in the sun, I, um, jumped (the shampoo) ship.

So now... well... I'm a :suspect: CO washer, and my hair and scalp LOVES it. There has been some shedding here and there, but I think that's been seasonal, and it's been fiddly finding the right (not too heavy, not too light... Goldilocks) conditioner for my scalp, but the conditioner I use now is da bomb (Tresemme Botanique R & S)--so much softness and shine, and there's glidethrough all the time!

Yeah, I know. No CO'ers allowed.

:wigtongue

BYE!

:run:

Fia
April 28th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Yes and no. Any type of DT goes on from nape and down, avoiding the scalp area. But the diluted Cream Rinse I finish up with to close the cuticle is poured through the entire hair from scalp down to tips and then lightly rinsed out. It is not a conditioner per se, more of a detangling help, but could in a pinch be called a light conditioner.

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 04:51 AM
I don't let it touch my scalp, goes for oil as well. Because of SD (seborrheic dermatitis).

Have you ever tried medicated shampoo and not letting the conditioner touch your scalp? It's not normal to have itchies all the time, it means you have a flare-up, and that really needs to settle down. I *will* lose more hair during flare-ups, so it's best to settle them down.

littlestarface
April 28th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Lol its funny how op says she wants none of these posts but most of them are of these "no cuz such n such" :rollin:

Hay_jules
April 28th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I do. My scalp likes conditioner. I'm still trying to figure out what works for me (CWC, WCC, Co, sulphated, sulphate free), the only thing i have figured out is that the first C is cone free and the second is coney. I've noticed that certain sulphate shampoos make my head itchy, the only thing that soothes it is cone free conditioner. I too have rosacea, i wonder if it has anything to do with it. I cover my scalp (WCC or CWC) with the cone free conditioner pretty well and then finger comb the coney one along the entire length, so neither actively avoiding nor rubbing the scalp. I'm pretty sure it's the sulphates that makes my head itch, but my hair behaves better with sulphate shampoo than non sulphate. Quick wash and conditioner on my scalp is my solution.

Groovy Granny
April 28th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I do...but indirectly :eyebrows:

Mostly it is applied from my ears down, though I do put some on my silver on the sides, but not to the roots.
After it is all applied, I use the 'vented speed dry wet brush'; brushing the ends first, then I brush from roots to the ends.
I let it sit while I shower then it gets rinsed; any leave ins are applied on damp turbaned hair..from the roots down.

My scalp is normal (no dandruff or grease); I can now go 1 week comfortably between shampoos and could stretch even that.

The reason I do comb the conditioner through is for the curly silver which loves moisture.
However if I were to apply it directly to the scalp like my shampoo, it would be too heavy for my wispy silver.

Lizzie.torp
April 28th, 2017, 10:34 AM
I used to apply directly to my scalp but I realized I shed less if I don't. But my roots still need moisture so after conditioning the length and ends, I smooth it over the top just so it doesn't touch my scalp.

samanthaa
April 28th, 2017, 10:45 AM
I've co-washed before with no mal-effects (jut found that I prefer to stretch washes or water wash), but currently I don't put conditioner near/on my scalp. It makes my hair too limp. I actually condition before I wash, just to be certain that no conditioner residue is left on my upper hair/near my scalp.

WillOTree
April 28th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Yes, regularly. My skin, including my scalp, tends to be dry and can overproduce oil in response to dryness. Conditioner is a lot like lotion and seems to alleviate the tightness I get it I only shampoo the scalp and prevents me getting little dry flakes.

Past experience is that I can go longer between washes with CO washing than with traditional S&C. The joys of skin that gets dry easily.... (I don't CO wash currently. At least, not consistently.)

I don't tend to use much that's heavily silicone-y, because my length wasn't very fond of it.

Same here! I live in a pretty arid environment so both my scalp and skin appreciate the extra moisture.

Vivalagina
April 28th, 2017, 11:02 AM
I do somewhat. I put the bulk of my conditioner on the length but what's left on my hands I finger comb through the hair near my scalp. I get little knots high up and using a bit of conditioner helps tremendously. My scalp doesn't care either way.

spidermom
April 28th, 2017, 11:02 AM
I only use conditioner on my scalp when I'm on vacation somewhere where I'm swimming in the pool and/or the ocean plus spending time in the sun.
I need to wash my hair every day under those circumstances, and it feels good to massage conditioner from scalp through ends.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 28th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Lol its funny how op says she wants none of these posts but most of them are of these "no cuz such n such" :rollin:
Yes it's actually kind of irritating. It makes me feel like people sometimes open forums just to write things without actually fully reading the forum... lol especially since I already know WHY the ones that don't, don't... cause they have explained why they don't in other forums.

Lanalavallama
April 28th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I let conditioner touch my scalp to clump my short curls and coils. I don't want frizz at the roots :silly:
I just go by how my scalp feels, don't really recall getting any major reactions..

MoonRabbit
April 28th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Yes it's actually kind of irritating. It makes me feel like people sometimes open forums just to write things without actually fully reading the forum... lol especially since I already know WHY the ones that don't, don't... cause they have explained why they don't in other forums.

Maybe a hair poll would be better so you get the general count of how many do or do not use conditioner on scalp?

Aredhel
April 28th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Well TBF your ETA was added quite a bit after you posted initially, so some people might not have seen it. Even though I commented later on, I had already read the post earlier before you added your ETA, so I didn't see that part until now. Also the thread title was posted as a yes/no question. ;)

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 28th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Maybe a hair poll would be better so you get the general count of how many do or do not use conditioner on scalp?

I really hate polls because I like to hear peoples actual input, often times people answer the poll without typing anything. But maybe that should have been the way I started.

Well TBF your ETA was added quite a bit after you posted initially, so some people might not have seen it. Even though I commented later on, I had already read the post earlier before you added your ETA, so I didn't see that part until now. Also the thread title was posted as a yes/no question. ;)

Im looking at the times and its kind of weird, I don't know how the clock works on here but it wasn't up very long when I added the ETA.
Only 3 posts were made by other users when I edited, not including anje... So i guess people read titles and answer titles without reading the actual forum??

Lol. Bummer.

Oh well. So far though I am finding that those of us that DO put conditioner on the scalp seem to for the same reasons.
Which was the original purpose of the post. For me at least.

Joyful Mystery
April 28th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Same! I have rosacea and it makes my skin dry, sometimes I wonder if the skin on our faces is similar to the skin on our scalps.

No, I don't put conditioner directly on my scalp, I put it on from ears down. I have rosacea too and dry skin, but no issues with my scalp since addressing skin allergies and product sensitivities.

Hairkay
April 28th, 2017, 02:31 PM
It's inevitable that some of my DIY hair mask treatment end up on my scalp. I've got tight curls. If I were to try to put my hair mask from ears down then some of my curls would be missing out.

Rowdy
April 28th, 2017, 02:35 PM
When I put conditioner on right up to the roots its just for smoothing/definition when I decide to let it dry wavy, and mostly because I don't like leave ins above my ears. I don't rub in onto my scalp however and I get oily around day 4 and on days 2 - 3 if I condition to the roots. I like being able to wash every 5 days (I'm lazy) so I don't end up doing this too often.

Joyful Mystery
April 28th, 2017, 02:36 PM
No, I don't put conditioner directly on my scalp, I put it on from ears down. I have rosacea too and dry skin, but no issues with my scalp since addressing skin allergies and product sensitivities.

Hopefully you won't be too upset I responded to your thread question :( I saw that you were a fellow rosacea sufferer and wanted to add my experience with body skin vs. skin on our scalps.

megthehennahead
April 28th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I do somewhat. I put the bulk of my conditioner on the length but what's left on my hands I finger comb through the hair near my scalp. I get little knots high up and using a bit of conditioner helps tremendously. My scalp doesn't care either way.

Same! I don't apply it directly most of the time, but I finger comb the leftovers through. I do CWC, with the first condition only on lengths, and the second I finger comb up high, so some gets on the scalp but not much. When I do a deep treatment or coconut oil, I put it all over and for coconut oil I massage it in.

My hair used to get really greasy but I've been stretching washes, so I'm on day 3 today and wore it down. It's a little oily, but not bad at all. I'm pretty picky about how oily my hair is when it's down. I've never had issues with dandruff or anything else.

I find that moisturizing my scalp a little more (DT, coconut oil, and leftover conditioner finger combing) helps with stretching washes, so I was probably over stripping the natural oils before, leading to overproduction.

Andthetalltrees
April 28th, 2017, 03:04 PM
No, My scalp will explode into a million flakes if I do. Sometimes I accidentally get a touch on my scalp when I'm finger combing it through and it will immediately start to itch

Dark40
April 28th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Yes, I always use conditioner on my scalp. I have relaxed hair, and it's prone to get dried out. So, my hair and scalp needs a lot of moisture.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 28th, 2017, 03:54 PM
It's inevitable that some of my DIY hair mask treatment end up on my scalp. I've got tight curls. If I were to try to put my hair mask from ears down then some of my curls would be missing out.

I feel that I face the same challenge. My hair isnt as curly as yours is, however I do have hairs that are shorter than ear height (that sounds weird to say outloud) and I feel that if I tried doing the ears down method that many in this forum continue to explain over and over :rolleyes:
I would miss hairs. There are some spots above my ears that are actually kinkier and drier than the rest of my hair and if I don't put conditioner close to the scalp in those areas the tangles are pretty bad and its only those hairs. If I miss those spots I usually need to go over the hairs with oil and personally I would rather use a rinse out conditioner than put oil.

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I feel that I face the same challenge. My hair isnt as curly as yours is, however I do have hairs that are shorter than ear height (that sounds weird to say outloud) and I feel that if I tried doing the ears down method that many in this forum continue to explain over and over :rolleyes:
I would miss hairs. There are some spots above my ears that are actually kinkier and drier than the rest of my hair and if I don't put conditioner close to the scalp in those areas the tangles are pretty bad and its only those hairs. If I miss those spots I usually need to go over the hairs with oil and personally I would rather use a rinse out conditioner than put oil.

I think ears down is just "a term". I wash upside down, so ears down isn't quite an option. So to me it means roughly 3/4 inches away from the scalp.

wispe
April 28th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I definitely would miss hair that needs conditioned if I stuck to ears-down. I always make sure to run my hands/conditioner and leave-ins through the bleached areas of my hair, some of which are still pretty near my scalp. When I don't they are just too dry and I'm more likely to snap them during combing/styling. But I don't rub conditioner on my scalp unless I'm doing a DT/color/cowash, like I specified above. Do probably at least once a month then, sometimes every week or two.

Mlarmour
April 28th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I have dry hair and an irritable scalp but I tend to avoid putting conditioner near my scalp as it can cause me to get large spot which hurt like crazy if I accidentally touch them with my hair brush. However if I've used my straightener between washes I always condition the whole length, pretty much touching the scalp because I want to nourish it as much as possible after using damaging heat. I don't do it after using my hair dryer as I feel that isn't as damaging nor does it get as hot and I only really rough dry with it, I never blow dry my hair bone dry.

Crystawni
April 28th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Adding onto what I wrote earlier before I run off again, it was normal for me to use conditioner (cones or not) after shampooing for 47 years, so I guess my hair and scalp was conditioned (haha!) to it. Dunno. But it certainly feels better to condition through to the roots if I shampoo (clarify), and if I went back to WCC or CWC, I'd condition the whole way instead of just ears down. I think it works better with the humidity I live in, too.

:run:

Jo Ann
April 28th, 2017, 08:16 PM
[raises hand...hangs head...]

Guilty! I condition from scalp to ends--I found it keeps dandruff and scalp itchies away...and I love how my hair feels at the top when it's conditioned!

I will say, though, it IS interesting to find why conditioning the scalp doesn't work for some folks ;)

LauraLongLocks
April 28th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Conditioner on my scalp is a recipe for a breakout of pimples in my scalp and hair loss.

So, no, never. I never let conditioner onto my scalp.

emilyogini
July 14th, 2018, 03:24 PM
From the ears down baby! That's the charm for me, but I have neither thick, nor curly hair

ravenskey
July 14th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Yes I do.
I CO wash and both hair and scalp love it.

Ylva
July 14th, 2018, 04:29 PM
It's not my preference, but sometimes it happens. I just make sure to rinse it out really well.

Starchild494
July 14th, 2018, 04:55 PM
To be honest , I haven't tried conditioning my scalp with conditioner in a long time.... I remember that when I did do it my scalp became so itchy, it drove me crazy! Perhaps I should test it out....

Krissycats
July 14th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Yes, I do. I doubt if I could get the tangles out otherwise. I'm still experimenting with cones vs. non-cones. Cones are winning out lately.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 14th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Since I posted this forum, I have now begun to keep conditioner maybe 1/2” from my scalp at least.

Crna Kosa
July 14th, 2018, 05:43 PM
I used to let my conditioner touch my scalp but I don' t do it anymore because I have fine hair and it doesn't look good on me , when i use it only at the ends it gets more volume at the roots and it looks better.

Wendyp
July 14th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Now way, but my scalp is very oil sensitive and even my own oil build up can send me into a shed.

illicitlizard
July 14th, 2018, 08:04 PM
Now I tend to... But that's more because of the shortness of my hair. I never stopped conditioning, even when it was just a couple cm long so by necessity, conditioner got on my scalp. When I was younger I'd tend to avoid the scalp but occasionally would bring the excess conditioner closer to the roots because it made everything so smooth. At that time I also washed every day though and used cones. Nowadays my cone free conditioner doesn't seem to do anything to my scalp, but we'll see how that goes once I gain some length!

Xlena
July 14th, 2018, 10:01 PM
No, never. I used to do it years ago and my hair was oily after just like... 15 hours. I remember being in school and my hair was getting oily when I washed it the night before and I had no clue what was doing that until I decided to stop conditioning my scalp. Now my hair stays clean for 1,5 days and there's no difference in hair health so I find no point on using conditioner on my scalp ;) My hair is super fine and straight so I guess it depends on your hair type if you like to do it or nah.

JennGalt
July 14th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Absolutely. With my scalp and roots being super dry, it's kind of a must. But I am very picky about the ingredients in my conditioners. Haven't had any excessive or unusual hairfall from it.

Stray_mind
July 14th, 2018, 11:20 PM
I used to when i was younger. Now i don't as it makes my scalp itch.

Margarita
July 15th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Nope, never! :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 15th, 2018, 12:32 AM
I know some members here absolutely do not like conditioner on their scalp and do their best to avoid it. Especially those of us with SD as it can cause flare ups or clog pores. And I know the reason behind avoiding it... so this is more of a question for those of us that do let conditioner touch their scalp.

I myself, although having SD, have always let conditioner touch my scalp and have indeed massaged it in to my scalp as well and have done it for years without problems. In fact my scalp prefers it, I do not know why but my scalp tends to be too TOO dry without conditioner on the scalp so I always rub it into my scalp after shampooing. Along with taking a glob and squishing it through the length. When I try to not let conditioner touch my scalp, it gets the itchies.
Now, I know some of you are co-washers, but I am going to forget about that for a moment. So co washers, you don't count!
Gaha -- but how many of you, that are not co-washers and use shampoo like I do, DO let conditioner touch the scalp?
Do you see a difference in your hair vs. when you don't get any on the scalp?
Do you refrain from letting coney-conditioners touch the scalp and do you see a difference between a cone conditioner vs. a non-cone?

I have used both a cone and non-cone on my scalp, and my scalp seems to prefer cones though the difference isn't large.
My current conditioner has demthicone in it, sort of low on the ingredient list, but it seems to be ok even though I have been told that demthicone can lead to hair loss, etc etc etc.

ETA: This is more of a question for those of us that DO let conditioner touch their scalp.
I was wondering whom else does this because I feel like I am alone in this.
For those of you that do not, I already know why you would not, so there is not a need for input. :)

I am just going to highlight some areas of my OP.
Thanks guys, if this isnt something you do its ok. I was looking for input from those of us that do.

Joules
July 15th, 2018, 03:35 AM
I do. I love co-washing, and even when I wash my hair with shampoo I'm not too careful about avoiding my scalp. Especially when I'm clarifying with a sulfate shampoo, I hate the squeaky feeling it gives me and want to moisturize every millimeter of hair I have. The amount of hair I lose every wash day doesn't seem to be affected by it, neither does my overall oiliness and greasiness. If I add a protein treatment to my conditioner and it gets on my scalp I may get a very mild itch next day, but it doesn't bother me.

Almost forgot: I did have a bad reaction to a conditioner and a leave-in spray from Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur 10 years ago, whenever they touched my scalp my hair was falling out in terrifying chunks. I don't remember exactly which line it was, I remember they were in bright pink bottles.

AutobotsAttack
July 15th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I don’t think there’s ever a time where I don’t put conditioner on my scalp consistently.

All the kinks and coils near my scalp do not allow for much moisture. And I end up with an irritated scalp caused by dryness. Granted almost anything irritates my scalp, but this is one of the reasons.

lovelymoon
July 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I do. I use dandruff conditioner so it needs to touch your scalp. If I leave it in too long it leaves my roots oily though. I also use a regular conditioner on my length and I wouldn't put it on my scalp.

nycelle
July 15th, 2018, 05:10 PM
I usually do, especially when my hair's feeling extra dry. Never felt a difference with my scalp, but my hair (the crown), is definitely smoother and shinier when I do.

AutobotsAttack
July 15th, 2018, 07:41 PM

I noticed that too.

But to an extent I guess it’s the freedom of being on this site.

But I understand both points of view.

Arciela
July 15th, 2018, 07:43 PM
I dont as it makes my hair super greasy..so I just skip it and let my natural sebum do its thing :)

Simsy
July 16th, 2018, 01:51 AM
If I didn’t condition the scalp, I would be dealing with the hair equivalent of a 3yo on a sugar high, holding a kitten hostage with a knife. I have neither the negotiator skill or the time to deal with that mess.

fiðrildi
July 16th, 2018, 03:07 AM
If I didn’t condition the scalp, I would be dealing with the hair equivalent of a 3yo on a sugar high, holding a kitten hostage with a knife. I have neither the negotiator skill or the time to deal with that mess.

This is hilarious :laugh:
I have the same; I find that conditioning my scalp helps me tame the frizz a little bit (halo of short, curly, unmanageable hairs around my head). Ahh, the humidity!

Jas
July 16th, 2018, 03:42 AM
I do! I tried not doing it and found I'd get more dry scalp. I put it back on the scalp and the dry scalp stopped! I do put conditioner on the ends first though and only a small amount on the roots after covering the rest of my hair.

Stagecoach
July 20th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Only when I'm washing it henna. Conditioner on my scalp always causes much more shredding than normal for me.

sophia_
July 20th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Since I have to use a cone conditioner, I don't use it on my scalp, because I've recently discovered cones stall my growth, but even before I knew that I never did because it usually makes my roots incredibly greasy-looking. However, from time to time I will oil my scalp with almond and rosemary oil as a treatment because I do wash my hair every day and it can get a bit dry. Sometimes I'll use a cone-free conditioner on my scalp if I have one on hand and my scalp really needs it.

Gothic
July 23rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
Yes, otherwise my roots get very tangled and matted.

Pacific
July 27th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I always put conditioner on my scalp, too.

trolleypup
July 28th, 2018, 08:30 AM
:misskim:

Only if I want to have itchy anger buildup scalp in two days.

Hannaheliza
July 28th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I never let conditioner touch my scalp. My hair is 16’ and I apply it from my ears down. I shampoo my scalp twice.

Garnetgem
July 28th, 2018, 12:34 PM
No i never let it near my scalp..i only apply from shoulders down only.

Starchild494
August 18th, 2018, 05:25 PM
So I have tested it out and again my scalp was like nope.... And became so irritated and scabby from my itching. I had to do a few peppermint and rosemary oil treatments before my scalp was happy with me again.... Sadly... I really wanted to test out the CO method..

Strangely enough creamy hair masks don't make my scalp itch. :hmm:

Vanillame
August 18th, 2018, 05:59 PM
My entire life, I don't know if it has a negative affect on me. It doesn't seem like it has as far as growth and health. I use natural conditioners.

Natalia_A00
August 18th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Nope. My hair is too oily for that, I don't need it

Dark40
August 18th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Yep, my scalp needs to be conditioned. Because, it has a tendency to get dry since I do chemical services on it and my hair.

moonshroomm
August 18th, 2018, 10:49 PM
I only put conditioner on the ends, up to just above my ears. If I put it on my scalp, it would be unbelievably oily all the time.

zashin66
August 19th, 2018, 09:30 PM
I do! I tried not doing it and found I'd get more dry scalp. I put it back on the scalp and the dry scalp stopped! I do put conditioner on the ends first though and only a small amount on the roots after covering the rest of my hair.

Me too!! Without going to the scalp my hair is very coarse and rough. I like having silky hair all the way through. Plus it tangle so bad with out the 'cones.

Dendra
August 20th, 2018, 03:29 AM
Nope nope nope! I even wonder sometimes if CWC (on just my lengths) makes me lose more hair.

OhSuzi
August 20th, 2018, 03:51 AM
I shampoo at the nape/roots & let the lesser foamy bits make it down the hair towards the ends.
Then rinse & do the reverse with conditioner -
get rid of the excess water in the ends, then work conditioner into the ends and sort of gently finger comb, so some - but much less - reaches the rooty end which also is still quite wet, so the roots will ll absorb less.

Sid0rela
August 20th, 2018, 06:37 AM
i once used argan therapy hair mask by Fonex as a deep conditioning mask in my ends and put it into a bun on top of my head. but i left it on for too long abt an hour and the conditioner was distributed into my scalp a little bit.
i have 1a/1b hair and my hair was so weighed down and my greasy scalp itched til my next poo wash

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Nope, never. The only thing that goes on my scalp is shampoo. I’m very wary about accidentally clogging my hair follicles and causing hair loss or slower hair growth somehow.

Reyn127
April 25th, 2019, 11:58 PM
I am one of the odd ones out because I do put conditioner on my scalp. My skin/scalp are very dry, so I kind of have to use conditioner to remoisturize my skin after shampooing. Even though I use a pretty gentle shampoo, and I am silicone-free so it doesn’t make my scalp itchy.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 12:48 AM
Rarely. Same thing with oils.

Cg
April 26th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Every wash. In fact I massage it in. Dry skin needs all the moisture it can get.

The-Young-Maid
April 26th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Never!shudder: My scalp can't handle it.