PDA

View Full Version : Lightening hair/ covering greys naturally, without chemicals (for a coworker)

rouxlala
April 27th, 2017, 08:15 AM
So, I have a coworker who, because of medical issues, cannot use chemicals on her hair. Her hair is a light brown color, with some grey in it.. I think she is wanting to basically get rid of the greys. Any suggestions about natural things she can do? Like, I know henna would be safe, but she doesn't want red hair.. stuff like that. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. not quite sure where it should go.

Nique1202
April 27th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Everything is chemicals, even plant sources like henna and indigo, so it really depends on her particular sensitivities. Not all hair dyes are created equally. Deposit-only dyes don't use the same ingredients as permanent dyes, and there are ranges of duration in between that also use different ingredients.

Nightshade
April 27th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Light brown for herbal colors is often a blend of henna, indigo, and amla. It's possible, but not nearly as accurate or simple as chemical colors.

Since her hair is a light brown, she might try just cassia and amla. It'll give some color to her grays without risking them going to red with henna:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/53/09/c3/5309c3fc41bd210291ea82c9a792316c.jpg

Hay_jules
April 27th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately greys are very hard to cover without using peroxide or something like that. I'm growing out bleach and have a fair bit of greys in my new growth. I cover my regrowth with veggie based dyes (think like manic panic) and it covers them for about a week but they look bright, then if washes right oit and it's back to silver. The rest of my hair holds it, the bleach holds it like a champ of course, but even my brown hair keeps a tint you can see in sunlight, the silvers - nada.

That being said, Adore does make veggie based dyes in natural colours and a lot of people swear by them. It's super gentle and is basically like doing a deep conditioning. But it may just wash right out. She could prolong the colour by washing in cooler water and co-washing. There was a member on another board I go on who had a lot of greys and she did a lot of experimenting with different things to try and make the dye stick without having to bleach the greys. The only thing she found to be effective was a quick application of peroxide (I think it was only vol 10 but don't quote me on that).

Hay_jules
April 27th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Light brown for herbal colors is often a blend of henna, indigo, and amla. It's possible, but not nearly as accurate or simple as chemical colors.

Since her hair is a light brown, she might try just cassia and amla. It'll give some color to her grays without risking them going to red with henna:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/53/09/c3/5309c3fc41bd210291ea82c9a792316c.jpg

So are the bottom three the same as the top three but with indigo added?

Nightshade
April 27th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Correct :) These were all blends done on graying human hair with everything mixed up and left on hair for 1 hour ( didn't do the tests, a former member did years ago).

ghanima
April 27th, 2017, 10:22 AM
What about catnip? I know nothing about it, and I'd like to know as I have a few grays too to hide (but my hair are dark brown). I remember that ktani used catnip to make the grays look blond. Catnip also does a lot of good to hair. But I think you have to make a catnip rinse every time you wash, while cassia lasts more.

ghanima
April 27th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Also, what about a gloss?

KellieKay
April 27th, 2017, 01:46 PM
maybe a tea rinse. sage is darkening.

lapushka
April 27th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Cassia on its own should make the grays a golden hue, but it's not going to last that long (about 2 weeks to a month maybe, depending on how often she washes her hair).

And there is also the option of doing semi-permanent dyes. But if she can't stand chemicals... it is doubtful that will work.

Even though cassia is natural, I would still have her patch test it!!! Better safe than sorry.

rouxlala
April 27th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Thanks so much, guys!