PDA

View Full Version : Hair Pony Circumference in relation to Head Size

Crystawni
April 26th, 2017, 05:50 PM
I was mulling over hair styles on different people, and ended up in the hair thoughts thread spluttering:

Hair pony circumference compared to head size. I haz a confuzzlement when it comes to comparing updo capabilities. And then you add in strand thickness, length and texture... More confuzzlement. And then hemlines, layers...

And the rest, out of quote for thread clarity:

Train of thought: I have a pony circ. of 10cm/4" thereabouts, so border the II/III range. My hair is fine, but there's lots of it due my larger head. In relation to many others on here, my pony circ is small compared to my head, though. Is this why I've been able to do most everyday buns and twists from APL? Compared to others with my circ, this is not the norm. And does this mean our way of typing our hair should have a nod to head size to make comparisons more accurate? I know head size has been a major factor for me when choosing hairtoys as much as hair length has been.

What are your thoughts? Would factoring in head size help you understand your hair more? And are our pony circs a better fit for us when compared to our overall head size than our current stats lead us to believe?

Anje
April 26th, 2017, 07:47 PM
I don't think head size varies all that much for most people. Obviously, there are outliers, but I think most adults have heads that are about 22-24 inches in circumference.

Crystawni
April 26th, 2017, 09:17 PM
I don't think head size varies all that much for most people. Obviously, there are outliers, but I think most adults have heads that are about 22-24 inches in circumference.

Which makes me wonder about the impact of each inch (or even centimetre) of difference on how we deal with, and view, our hair (like the incremental differences in ponytail circ.).

The biggest impact for me has been buying hairtoys based on hair length and thickness, only to find the new hairtoy dwarfed on my head. There are others who have had helicopter-syndrome (sticks too big and long), even though for me, I can wear 8" sticks that remain hidden from front-view. :lol:

ETA: my head circ. is 23".

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Mine is also 23" :)

Shorty89
April 26th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Mine is about 22.5 or so. It's hard to measure your own head when your hair is a slippery, oiled mess. I have thick, but closer to average (aka not Torrin thick). But, my hairline is fairly low on my neck so that might make up for the half inch under 23 .P

wispe
April 26th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Mine is about 21", and my pony is about 2.75". (2.5-3+" depending on how smoothed/compacted it is. Wash day fluff gives me 3.25" but several days later it's closer to 2.5"). I have been told on several occasions it was fine, but I had a lot of it. IDK if I buy that (it's never seemed that thick), but I definitely have to watch my stick/toy sizes as I find anything longer than 6.5" starts to helicopter on me.

Stormynights
April 26th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Head size and thickness has nothing to do with each other. It takes less course hair to make a fat pony than it does with fine. We are all so individual. Curly hair appears more thick than straight hair. We are all individuals and we just get what we get no matter our head size. I knew a lady that had such thick hair that it never seemed to look right when it was short. She wanted to wear it short but it just suited her better long.

Stormynights
April 26th, 2017, 11:40 PM
It is more the bun size that causes that helicopter look than the head size.

hayheadsbird
April 27th, 2017, 12:41 AM
It is more the bun size that causes that helicopter look than the head size.

I think this is true for me. I've been using 6" sticks from APL to now (BSL +) and helicopter look depends more on the bun size. My buns can change size depending on type and how far to wash day, but I'm fairly sure my head size is consistent:P

Crystawni
April 27th, 2017, 01:45 AM
Head size and thickness has nothing to do with each other. It takes less course hair to make a fat pony than it does with fine. We are all so individual. Curly hair appears more thick than straight hair. We are all individuals and we just get what we get no matter our head size. I knew a lady that had such thick hair that it never seemed to look right when it was short. She wanted to wear it short but it just suited her better long.

That's right. Like I mentioned in the first post, many factors have to be considered when comparing hairtypes head to head, including strand thickness, length, texture, hemlines, layers... And then there's colour, climate, water quality, products used... the list goes on. I just wonder if head size is part of the "classifying" equation, or at least is a piece of the overall proportion puzzle if we're using these classifiers (length and type) to identify with. For example, a larger head with a larger pony circ. won't look or behave as large as a the same circ. on a smaller head, if my own experience compared to others (including my own grown kids) is anything to go by. And vice versa.

As for helicopter, erm, moreso propeller heads, one of the funniest I've seen was this in WEO:

:scissors:

I found a wand in our closet and DH asked if it would work as a hair stick.... so I showed him. (forgive not only the hair falling out but the blurriness) Now I know I like padauk in my hair. :)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/rushli/all%20the%20toys/b3b2a27a-850e-4d0f-b40a-fa3ca2984e12_zpsdfb6ae7c.jpg

Arctic
April 27th, 2017, 01:54 AM
One variable I've noticed is also the area scalp covers, or hairline shape (which are probably affected by head shape to a degree). Someone with high forehead and higher hairline at the nape has less hair than the same person would have with low forehead and lower hairline at the nape.

I haven't measured my head but I think it's an an avarage size for a tall female (most generic size hats fit me off the shelf) and my hair is avarage on the thinner side (always avarage even before hair loss issues).

lunasea
April 27th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Hmmm, 21 inch head circumference; almost a 2.5 inch pony.

littlestarface
April 27th, 2017, 01:52 PM
I dunno but its crazy how people here with ii circumference look like they have waaay thicker hair then me and i'm a iii!

How does that even work?

MidnightMoon
April 27th, 2017, 02:04 PM
I dunno but its crazy how people here with ii circumference look like they have waaay thicker hair then me and i'm a iii!

How does that even work?

I think I can achieve that effect if I use very little conditioner, don't oil after washing, and then comb+brush my hair. It looks like I have a lot of hair. Of course if you try gather it all together you feel it's not very heavy, but it kinda lays like a bear coat xD. It helps that my hair is wavy, so doing this definitely gives me volume.

Arctic
April 27th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I don't think my hair ever looks like iii, but it does look thicker than it is. I think it's mostly thanks to coarser and wavier texture, plus I almost alway comb/brush/fluff my waves. My buns are mostly air, ha ha, as my hair doesn't compact well.

Cg
April 27th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Barely 20" circumference and 2.5"-ish pony. Yeah, it really is a pinhead.

Crystawni
April 27th, 2017, 04:55 PM
I would love to be a pinhead. :p Mind you, I'm not sure it would work with my proportions (hands and feet are largish to go with the boof).

I have a low nape hairline and widow's peak, and I have a longer neck... My bun is small on my head comparatively, but swallows hairtoys. To compensate, I tend to prefer centre-held buns. (My sig pic from over a year ago when my hair was a bit shorter has a 7" stick through a centre-held so you can see the stick...) I don't think I'll ever have a head-eating bun. Too. Much. Head. :lol:

MsBubbles
April 27th, 2017, 05:24 PM
I haven't measured my head but I come from a family of pinheads. Not good on our tall bodies. But anyway, I had a similar thought in that I noticed others with my hair type and circumference seemed to have a more fanned-out look to their hair. It covers more of their bodies. Mine follows a more narrow shape down my back instead of being a bit more spread out (when worn as it is, totally straight). I had wondered how much the shape of the nape line in the back contributed to that. If I had a wider head, what little hair I have might fan out a bit better and cover more of my back! (This is one of those 'only on LHC' conversations!)

Arctic
April 27th, 2017, 05:44 PM
I can get helicopter easily, I have longer and narrower head shape. Fluffy buns help with the effect though. (Yeah, only on LHC!!! Love you all, guys!)

Hele
April 27th, 2017, 05:58 PM
i'm impressed that people even know what their head circumference is, i've never thought about it. How does one even measure that, anyways?? Do you do it yourself or do you ask a friend? Ha, how would you bring it up in conversation if you went the latter route? I'm probably overthinking this!

all i know is that before LHC i thought i had a giant pumpkin head, and now i know that i don't! I'm just all hair. :p

Anje
April 27th, 2017, 06:38 PM

How does that even work?

I've got a hypothesis that some people have "compactable hair", myself included. It seems more common for fine hair that's not at least very curly, but it might have more to do with slip than anything else. People with slippery hair tend to need to squeeze all the air out of their updos so the hair doesn't just relax and slither out of its style.

I'll change this to give you my head circumference in a bit, once I've measured. Iirc, I wear a 7 1/2 to 7 5/8 hat size. As of the last measurement, my hair circumference was 3" (slowly up from about 2.5" over the years I've been in LHC).

ETA: ok, my head is only 23" around now. Definitely shrunk a bit now that I don't have much hair!

pandabarrier
April 27th, 2017, 07:11 PM
People with slippery hair tend to need to squeeze all the air out of their updos so the hair doesn't just relax and slither out of its style.

That's me! Ahh, now it makes more sense why my buns look small on my head.
My head is also big, circumference is 23.5", my neck is thin and long (my brother used to make fun of the size *why is my head round as a pizza*)
I just measured my ponytail circumference on Day 5 hair, squeezed it as much as possible and got 3 3/8". Previous measurement was done with cleaner hair and it was 3.5".