PDA

View Full Version : I am NEVER going to the hairdresser again - how can I trim my own hair? Tips?

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 06:06 AM
What's wrong with hair dressers, seriously?! I hadent cut my hair for 2 years adn then went in for a TRIM 4 months ago. Was bullied and told my hair looked like crap (I don't CARE what you think my hair looks like, it sits on ME, all I care is what I think about it - didn't ask for YOUR opinion) and she cut off 15 cm even though I explicitly TOLD her 3 cm and no more! I went in today at another salon, told them, THREE CENTIMETERS no matter what your personal preference is and they took 10-15 cm ...

So I've lost 25-30 cm in less than six months! I am NEVER going back to a hair dresser EVER again! Out of all the times I've been, I've NEVER been happy!

The problem is my ens split like never before, so I really need to learn how to trim it on my own without it getting uneven. PLEASE guys, do you have ANY tips for me? When I do S&D I only make it worse (I think my scissors are blunt and ever since I started doing SD I've gotten MORE split ends) so first I need to buy a real hair dresser's scissors, but then what? My hair gets all uneven when I do SD and I don't know how to cut it myself.

Any tips?

lapushka
April 26th, 2017, 06:40 AM
What's wrong with hair dressers, seriously?! I hadent cut my hair for 2 years adn then went in for a TRIM 4 months ago. Was bullied and told my hair looked like crap (I don't CARE what you think my hair looks like, it sits on ME, all I care is what I think about it - didn't ask for YOUR opinion) and she cut off 15 cm even though I explicitly TOLD her 3 cm and no more! I went in today at another salon, told them, THREE CENTIMETERS no matter what your personal preference is and they took 10-15 cm ...

So I've lost 25-30 cm in less than six months! I am NEVER going back to a hair dresser EVER again! Out of all the times I've been, I've NEVER been happy!

The problem is my ens split like never before, so I really need to learn how to trim it on my own without it getting uneven. PLEASE guys, do you have ANY tips for me? When I do S&D I only make it worse (I think my scissors are blunt and ever since I started doing SD I've gotten MORE split ends) so first I need to buy a real hair dresser's scissors, but then what? My hair gets all uneven when I do SD and I don't know how to cut it myself.

Any tips?

If you look around this forum for a while, you'll notice we have techniques for blunt cuts (blunt, U, V shape) called Feye's self-trimming method. If you Google it, you can't miss it.

There's also the compact cutting technique for layers, that I would not recommend for hair shorter than BSL (your layers will be far too short, especially with curly hair).

Good luck!

spidermom
April 26th, 2017, 07:18 AM
The easiest way to get even results is to part your hair how you would usually part it in the front, and straight down the middle in the back. Bring each side in front of the shoulder. Make sure that the sides flow forward smoothly in front of your ears and that you don't have bumps, then join them into a ponytail right in front of your neck. Then comb the ponytail straight down and cut off however much you want to trim. I used to close a book over my ponytail to be sure I had a straight edge. It gives a slight U shape.

lizardspots
April 26th, 2017, 07:34 AM
I use Feye's self trimming method for a blunt straight hem, and I trim my wispy-blunt fringe every couple of weeks.

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 08:04 AM
The easiest way to get even results is to part your hair how you would usually part it in the front, and straight down the middle in the back. Bring each side in front of the shoulder. Make sure that the sides flow forward smoothly in front of your ears and that you don't have bumps, then join them into a ponytail right in front of your neck. Then comb the ponytail straight down and cut off however much you want to trim. I used to close a book over my ponytail to be sure I had a straight edge. It gives a slight U shape.
I need to flatten my hair (I've wavy) before cutting, right? Or should I cut/trim it wet? Thanks for the tip!

If you look around this forum for a while, you'll notice we have techniques for blunt cuts (blunt, U, V shape) called Feye's self-trimming method. If you Google it, you can't miss it. There's also the compact cutting technique for layers, that I would not recommend for hair shorter than BSL (your layers will be far too short, especially with curly hair).

THANKS! Until today my hair was cut in layers, but today they did a blunt cut on me. Feye's self-trimming method - I will definitely look into that! I now have elbow-lenght and I don't think I'd even dare to cut layers! I'd end up looking like a mess. My hair-cutting knowledge is absolute nil. I assume blunt cuts are easier? What do you think?

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 08:07 AM
I would not recommend for hair shorter than BSL (your layers will be far too short, especially with curly hair).
OMG! I felt my hair now and it seems they cut it soo much that it's only down to the bra strap now!!!! :eek: That's two years of saving my hair down the drain!!! :steam :steam :steam Unbelieveably, I just want to cry! :mad: I went from hip to BSL in two cuts. This is ridiculous :(

lapushka
April 26th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Yes well sorry for asking but, after going to the hairdresser once and having a tragic result... why on earth would you go back to one. I mean they can't glue it back on, so you must have known beforehand that they would cut even more... Honestly sometimes your brain just gets frazzled after events like this. :lol: I know, BTDT! :) I'm so sorry. But OTOH it is still BSL and that is a good length to start from. Some people on here start from buzz cuts or pixies so it's not *that* bad. :flower: Not trying to make it worse, just trying to make you see there are worse things out there!!! :flower:

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Because I need to have my ends trimmed. Every time I go to the hair dresser they bully me (literally, bully) and say I need to go every three months (yeah, aint gonna happen!). I went last time 6 months ago, so it's not like I went back the day after to have it glued back on :D

Had a LONG discussion beforehand and I explicitly told them that last time I went (to a completely different salon) they cut off 1 year worth of lenght and that I don't want that to happen again. 3 cm - that's it, no more. But they took out the razor and off it went :confused: I don't think I could've been MORE clear, obviously I could've brought a contract and demanded them to sign it, haha I don't get why hairdressers dislike long hair. Why do they always cut off SO much? Is there a specific reason for it?

I too started off short - I liked the bob and would've kept it if I hadn't looked like a broomstick in it :D I just hate the waiting process, I either want a super short bob or LONG hair ... The "in-between" hair is just bland and boring.

I have silica supplements, do you think that'll help grow out the hair stronger (my hair is acting weird after I got SD, it splits and is super frail/frizzled/limp/stiff/matte/tangled)? I've been googling now for three hours, trying to do everythign I can do keep what I've got left healthy.

Wildcat Diva
April 26th, 2017, 08:24 AM
About the flattening before cutting question... you could moderately oil it.

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 08:29 AM
About the flattening before cutting question... you could moderately oil it.
This may be a weird(?) question, but does it make sense to blow-dry already dry hair to make it straight, spray it and then cut?

akurah
April 26th, 2017, 10:42 AM
This may be a weird(?) question, but does it make sense to blow-dry already dry hair to make it straight, spray it and then cut?

I don't have curly hair, but a google indicates that for curly hair, you shouldn't straighten because it's unnecessary and it could result in shorter hair than intended because curly hair is shorter when curled up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+you+straighten+curly+hair+before+c utting&oq=do+you+need+to+straighten+curly+hair+before&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.9586j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

at 2a/2b though, it probably doesn't make a difference which you choose? I would just cut it dry as is, without straightening. (my hair is 1c/2a, but the weight as it gets longer makes it more 1c than 2a)

Chromis
April 26th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Because I need to have my ends trimmed. Every time I go to the hair dresser they bully me (literally, bully) and say I need to go every three months (yeah, aint gonna happen!). I went last time 6 months ago, so it's not like I went back the day after to have it glued back on :D

Had a LONG discussion beforehand and I explicitly told them that last time I went (to a completely different salon) they cut off 1 year worth of lenght and that I don't want that to happen again. 3 cm - that's it, no more. But they took out the razor and off it went :confused: I don't think I could've been MORE clear, obviously I could've brought a contract and demanded them to sign it, haha I don't get why hairdressers dislike long hair. Why do they always cut off SO much? Is there a specific reason for it?

I too started off short - I liked the bob and would've kept it if I hadn't looked like a broomstick in it :D I just hate the waiting process, I either want a super short bob or LONG hair ... The "in-between" hair is just bland and boring.

I have silica supplements, do you think that'll help grow out the hair stronger (my hair is acting weird after I got SD, it splits and is super frail/frizzled/limp/stiff/matte/tangled)? I've been googling now for three hours, trying to do everythign I can do keep what I've got left healthy.

If they are using a razor, that is a large part of why you are getting so many splits! Also, you mention flat-ironing and that will also give you a lot of damage.

You must cut every three months is bunk, just marketing and urban legends. Some people do indeed like small frequent trims, especially when growing out damage, but often they are only trimming a centimetre. They are cutting off too much because they are not listening to you and think you are going to come back anyhow.

With a decent pair of scissors, used only for hair, cutting yourself is pretty easy. Other than that, the quickest way most of us have found for growing hair is to treat it nicely and then put it up and leave it alone. Switching to a silky pillowcase is often a good idea too and learning detangling methods that are suitable for your hairtype.

akurah
April 26th, 2017, 11:43 AM
You must cut every three months is bunk, just marketing and urban legends. Some people do indeed like small frequent trims, especially when growing out damage, but often they are only trimming a centimetre. They are cutting off too much because they are not listening to you and think you are going to come back anyhow.

This is truth!!

The average annual growth rate for hair (for most people) is between 10 and 13 centimeters annually. If you cut 3 centimeters off every 3 months, you run the risk of cutting off the entire annual growth over time, or even more. The frequent cuts are why many people claim "my hair won't grow past X". Those statements are untrue because they're trimming too much.

Before my idiotic big chop back to waist, I went probably 4 years without a cut or trim. Since my last idiotic cut back to waist a year ago, I have not trimmed. I had the same problem with you on the "last idiotic cut" incident. I wanted to dye my hair a reddish color with manic panic, but I didn't want to hassle to do it myself. She was a bully hairdresser and insisted on trimming. I lost a significant amount of hair, at LEAST 13 centimeters, probably more. Her idea of a trim was definitely not a trim.

I have some damage I'm sure for not trimming, but to the best I can tell, it's pretty sparse because I try to be careful with my hair. I keep hair scissors so that when I find a big chunk of damage, I can cut it out myself, and cut no more than the damage. (usually, this shows up as fairie knots for me)

Groovy Granny
April 26th, 2017, 11:49 AM
I don't have curly hair, but a google indicates that for curly hair, you shouldn't straighten because it's unnecessary and it could result in shorter hair than intended because curly hair is shorter when curled up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+you+straighten+curly+hair+before+c utting&oq=do+you+need+to+straighten+curly+hair+before&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.9586j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

at 2a/2b though, it probably doesn't make a difference which you choose? I would just cut it dry as is, without straightening. (my hair is 1c/2a, but the weight as it gets longer makes it more 1c than 2a)

I just cut mine dry...whether it is in 'Winter sleek mode'....or 'triple volume humidity curl mode' lol

I usually do the 'under the chin' method...it is more reliable than Feyes in 'my' experience.

If I switch up my length or hemline, sometimes I will recheck it doing Feyes.

*Some use a book for the chin method; I use a creaclip; it has a level and secure grip for my fine silver.

Sorry you had that experience....I did too....and with a stylist I had trusted for YEARS!!:steam
THAT was my last appt...from then on I trimmed my own ........@ BSL too.

lapushka
April 26th, 2017, 12:23 PM
noahnoah, ends don't need trimming that often. "They" say every 6 to 8 weeks? Nope. Some people on this forum go years without a proper trim. I have a few challenges under my belt (not that that's saying a lot, but ;))

Oh it almost sounded (because of the lack of times in the message) that you went one appointment after the other. My bad!

Sometimes hairdressers do crazy stuff... even though it goes against your wishes. :(

I just take a multivitamin and call it a day. I need it for medical reasons too, but that's all I'm willing to "devote" to my hair. Nothing is going to magically make it grow faster. It is what it is. You can try, and I'm not saying "don't" but that money could be maybe better spent on nice pampering products while you wait for it to grow. ;)

MoonRabbit
April 26th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I trim my hair dry, on wash day before washing it. I think the natural oil build up helps my waves stretch out more naturally, plus it helps to notice more splits because they aren't masked by cones. Here is my technique. I part my hair down the middle. Then section it off the bottom layer and tie off the rest on top my head. I take a small (1/2in to 1in part) from the section and use a comb to pull the hair out horizontally (allowing all the shorter hairs to fall out until I only have the longest layer in the teeth of the comb, This really helps if you have layers.) I take that section of hair left in the comb and hold the ends between my index and middle finger, making sure not to pull taught, give the section of hair some slack. Then I trim off as much as I want, usually (1/4 to 1/2in). I like to take a measuring tape and mark on my pinkie finger where 1/4 and 1/2 in is and use my finger as a guide so I don't take off more than I want. (once you have enough practice you will know how to measure by eye) . I keep doing this technique until my bottom section is done tie it off in the back, release more hair from the top bun I made and do the same technique until all my hair is finished. Finally, I center part again and part my hair equally over both my shoulders, and dust the ends. It does take some time but I feel better knowing I cut every strand of hair.

Remember to take as little off as possible. You can always go back and take more off.

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 01:12 PM
If they are using a razor, that is a large part of why you are getting so many splits! Also, you mention flat-ironing and that will also give you a lot of damage.

With a decent pair of scissors, used only for hair, cutting yourself is pretty easy. Other than that, the quickest way most of us have found for growing hair is to treat it nicely and then put it up and leave it alone. Switching to a silky pillowcase is often a good idea too and learning detangling methods that are suitable for your hairtype.

I never ever use heat tools on my hair, so that is not the reason for the split ends. Yes they used an electrical razor (wtf) to cut the hair?! Is that a new thing at the hair dresseres nowadays?! I just asked my friend to take a pic and apparently it's super uneven too! Huh think I prefer when they cut with scissors instead.

Other than that, the quickest way most of us have found for growing hair is to treat it nicely and then put it up and leave it alone.
I agree with this. Prior to my two last hair cuts I didn't touch my hair other than shampoo, conditioner and mask/deep condition. I wore it in braids, buns, or down. No fancy, pulling, tight hairstyles. No heat, no styling, no styling products. I just didn't touch it and it was fine. Then I went to the salon and they tried to brainwash me with information that was completely FALSE or ridiculous, for example, apparently I MUST blowdry (LOL?) my hair because the hair dresser says so and the heat will NOT damage my hair (eh ... ), I MUST to style it every day so I can "be pretty" (wtf? who even says that!) and if I dont intend to style it then there is no point to me having long hair, and I need to trim every 6-8 weeks or all my hair is going to fall off, etc. They told me a bunch of BS to be honest. Then after the last hair cut I started getting so many splits, so I went in today to get it TRIMMED but again they chopped off another 10-15 cm. I aint giving this any more chances.

It always amazes me how they say that I need to care for my hair (trust me I do) when they don't. I could easily hear how a dozen or so hair strands SNAPPED becuase they were tugging it so hard when combing through it. I could also feel my hair smell burnt when they blow dried it. Don't they care about that they ruin our hair?

I'm sorry I know this if off topic, but this is something I've seen EVERY time I go to the hairdresser. Every time I keep thinking I just had bad luck and that that specific salon was an exception, but they ALL stink. Mind you I paid 70 USD (and that didnt evne include a wash and styling, just a dry cut) so it's not like I cut it at dollar store. I honestly believe they don't give diddly-squat if htey ruin our hair because they genuinely believe we won't notice (because I know most "normal" people don't notice and aren't aware).

akurah
April 26th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry I know this if off topic, but this is something I've seen EVERY time I go to the hairdresser. Every time I keep thinking I just had bad luck and that that specific salon was an exception, but they ALL stink. Mind you I paid 70 USD (and that didnt evne include a wash and styling, just a dry cut) so it's not like I cut it at dollar store. I honestly believe they don't give diddly-squat if htey ruin our hair because they genuinely believe we won't notice (because I know most "normal" people don't notice and aren't aware).

In the US, I've found SuperCuts gives the best service in terms of giving me exactly what I ask for. They're basically a large discount chain. I think it's because they have less ego about knowing what is best (or they plain don't care, and just want to get you in and out with as little fuss as possible). That said, it's also possible I've been very lucky.

One of the women who trimmed my hair there long ago actually got down on the floor because she couldn't get the chair high enough, and trimmed off very little. She said if my hair was much longer she would have seen about maybe me standing on some manner of step-stool or propping myself up with my knees in the chair.

noahnoah
April 26th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I think it's because they have less ego about knowing what is best (or they plain don't care, and just want to get you in and out with as little fuss as possible). That said, it's also possible I've been very lucky..
I've also considered this, and I think you are very right about the ego-thing. I've considered trying a $20 salon instead, but always freak about about the thought of having myself to blame is something goes wrong :eek:

ends don't need trimming that often. "They" say every 6 to 8 weeks? Nope. Some people on this forum go years without a proper trim. Oh it almost sounded (because of the lack of times in the message) that you went one appointment after the other. My bad!
lapushka: I agree with this and I believe how often you need to trim is individual depending on YOUR hair. Everyone are different. Some get splits very easily, others can go YEARS without any. It's utterly stupid to just ASSUME that EVERYONE needs a trim every 6 weeks. Complete BS. 4-6 months passed between the 1st and 2nd appointment and I wont go anymore after these two freak incidents. It'll take me at least 2 years to grow this back so I'll definitely NOT let them bully me into going anyyyyytime soon ever again.

Asked about the multivitamins because I got SD and my hair has been acting weird lately, its structure has completely changed and my scalp is out of control. So I feel like I really need to be extra careful with it - hair dresser told me oil is good for brittle hair, will coconut oil be sufficient or do I need to buy their $60 bottle?

I just cut mine dry...whether it is in 'Winter sleek mode'....or 'triple volume humidity curl mode' lol
Groovy Granny: I read you should always cut it wet but if you cut it dry it's easier to see where you have split ends.

Before my idiotic big chop back to waist, I went probably 4 years without a cut or trim. Since my last idiotic cut back to waist a year ago, I have not trimmed. I had the same problem with you on the "last idiotic cut" incident. I wanted to dye my hair a reddish color with manic panic, but I didn't want to hassle to do it myself. She was a bully hairdresser and insisted on trimming. I lost a significant amount of hair, at LEAST 13 centimeters, probably more. Her idea of a trim was definitely not a trim
akurah It is true what you say. If we constantly go in for a 15-c- trim every 8 weeks, there will be no annual growth - jesus we'll end up withi shorter hair for each year! It's simple maths. Now, if the hair dressers could actually TRIM the 1-2 cm I asked then this wouldn't be a problem. But instead they chop off 1 year worth of growth and call it a trim! Prior to my last two appointsments I went for two years w/o trimming and I could actually see results and a decent amount of growth. Now I've lost 25-30 cm in 5 months :tmi:

Remember to take as little off as possible. You can always go back and take more off.
If only hair dressers would think this way, my life would be a whole lot eaiser! May iu ask how long it takes you to cut through your hair using this technique? When I do SD it takes me hours and I still haven't gone through my whole hair, so in the long run I just don't see me doing SD because I havent got the time.

Groovy Granny
April 26th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Groovy Granny: I read you should always cut it wet but if you cut it dry it's easier to see where you have split ends.

I was always concerned with cutting more off than I wanted when wet, especially because my hemline curls when dry; I can see what length it actually will be.

Can't say about the splits; thankfully that is not a problem for me.

I have never had any adverse reactions from dry cutting ...and I have seen that many here do cut their hair dry. YMMV :wink:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I cut mine when dry too, it helps me to know precisely how much I am cutting off.

lapushka
April 26th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Asked about the multivitamins because I got SD and my hair has been acting weird lately, its structure has completely changed and my scalp is out of control. So I feel like I really need to be extra careful with it - hair dresser told me oil is good for brittle hair, will coconut oil be sufficient or do I need to buy their $60 bottle?

I have SD too. There is a big SD thread on this forum with plenty of useful info. Do not oil a scalp with an SD flare especially, or... at all. I have SD and cannot, absolutely cannot, use oil or conditioner on my scalp or it will worsen the situation. I use Nizoral 2% for my SD but I believe the 2% is prescription only in the US. I don't know where you are located? If you want to share?

The Maple Leaf
April 26th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I've also considered this, and I think you are very right about the ego-thing. I've considered trying a $20 salon instead, but always freak about about the thought of having myself to blame is something goes wrong :eek:

I honestly don't think it works that way, with some possible exceptions, that going to a "cheap" salon in itself increases the chances of a bad haircut (as I said before on these boards, I'm speaking largely on the basis of second-hand information and not personal exprience, having cut my own hair since my early 20s). The people at "Supercuts", "Great Clips" etc should be trained, licensed hairdressers and I would expect should be competent to do basic haircuts and trims. Otherwise, those chains would likely have gone out of business long ago. People may think that going somewhere where you pay $50, 60, 70 for a trim instead of $20 will increase their chances of getting a good cut, but in practice, I think that's only true if you need a fancy stylist's cut with lots of shaping, layering, razoring, whatever; if you want just a trim, you might actually be jeopardizing your hair by going to the expensive places, because as akurah says, you would be more likely to run into a stylist that sees themselves as an "artiste" and feels entitled to impose their ideas on the blank canvas that they see their customers' heads as, whereas in a place like Supercuts, the person would be more likely to just want to get the job done. We obviously can't generalize, but my instinct tells me that going to a more expensive salon for a trim is counterproductive, unless you happen to have found a hairdresser you know and trust at just such a salon.

Just to illustrate my point, here is a real-life example. In this article, the author (a guy) went to two places: a fancy schmancy place where he paid $350 and Supercuts, where he paid $23: http://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/mens-fashion/a2867/supercuts-oscar-blandi-haircut As you can see from the pictures at the bottom, both places gave him a perfectly decent haircut (essentially a short regular with the top long enough to part - the main differences I see is that the sides may have been cut a bit higher/shorter at Supercuts and he has longer sideburns after the fancy salon haircut. His opinion was that while he enjoyed the fancy salon experience more, he was apparently satisfied with the haircut he got at Supercuts.

One way or another, it's a disgrace that there are so many stylists who bully their clients. Something needs to be done about it.

Rhoward
April 26th, 2017, 05:20 PM
First off, I'm so sorry and I know how you feel, I too have had my fair share of disastrous hair cuts by supposed professionals (and I used to be a hairdresser so no one is safe!). I have used Feye's trimming method and it works well but it is kind of difficult if your hair is on the shorter side (which it doesn't sound like it would be a problem for you). I now use a crea clip. My husband does the actual cutting part for me and its always super straight. I wouldn't recommend using it on your own, you really do need someone to help you, but it is really easy.

Good luck and I hope it grows back quickly for you :blossom:

https://www.amazon.com/CreaClip-C-01-The-Original/dp/B004NMR6TY

Chromis
April 26th, 2017, 06:04 PM
I honestly don't think it works that way, with some possible exceptions, that going to a "cheap" salon in itself increases the chances of a bad haircut (as I said before on these boards, I'm speaking largely on the basis of second-hand information and not personal exprience, having cut my own hair since my early 20s). The people at "Supercuts", "Great Clips" etc should be trained, licensed hairdressers and I would expect should be competent to do basic haircuts and trims. Otherwise, those chains would likely have gone out of business long ago. People may think that going somewhere where you pay $50, 60, 70 for a trim instead of $20 will increase their chances of getting a good cut, but in practice, I think that's only true if you need a fancy stylist's cut with lots of shaping, layering, razoring, whatever; if you want just a trim, you might actually be jeopardizing your hair by going to the expensive places, because as akurah says, you would be more likely to run into a stylist that sees themselves as an "artiste" and feels entitled to impose their ideas on the blank canvas that they see their customers' heads as, whereas in a place like Supercuts, the person would be more likely to just want to get the job done. We obviously can't generalize, but my instinct tells me that going to a more expensive salon for a trim is counterproductive, unless you happen to have found a hairdresser you know and trust at just such a salon.

Just to illustrate my point, here is a real-life example. In this article, the author (a guy) went to two places: a fancy schmancy place where he paid $350 and Supercuts, where he paid $23: http://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/mens-fashion/a2867/supercuts-oscar-blandi-haircut As you can see from the pictures at the bottom, both places gave him a perfectly decent haircut (essentially a short regular with the top long enough to part - the main differences I see is that the sides may have been cut a bit higher/shorter at Supercuts and he has longer sideburns after the fancy salon haircut. His opinion was that while he enjoyed the fancy salon experience more, he was apparently satisfied with the haircut he got at Supercuts.

One way or another, it's a disgrace that there are so many stylists who bully their clients. Something needs to be done about it.

I only ever went to cheap salons they still never listened. Now I do my own and get what I want ever time.

kidari
April 26th, 2017, 07:04 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. We've all been there. I love Feye's method but I also love using the Creaclip to cut my own hair. I just use my own pair of hair scissors I use only for cutting my hair. I feel like professional hair dressers practice a lot of that contribute to the client eventually ending up with short complicated cuts that need to be evened out constantly or they push things like color and heat styling so the really poor souls end up with a drastically different color than their natural with $$$ extensions all while shelling out tons of money for professional hair products and high tech heat tools they use probably daily.

ExpectoPatronum
April 26th, 2017, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you! It can be so stressful going to a salon and then to have them not listen...

For trimming your own hair, there's a few methods that people have mentioned and they're good. As for flattening your hair before trimming, it depends on what you do with your hair. If you leave it wavy, trim it dry so you can see how the waves sit. You can use Feye's method on wavy hair, especially while you get some practice trimming your own hair in.

I trim my own hair and I do it dry. I have curly hair and I trim it curl by curl. It takes longer, but I can see how the curls look and trim pieces appropriately.

MoonRabbit
April 26th, 2017, 09:23 PM
If only hair dressers would think this way, my life would be a whole lot eaiser! May iu ask how long it takes you to cut through your hair using this technique? When I do SD it takes me hours and I still haven't gone through my whole hair, so in the long run I just don't see me doing SD because I havent got the time.

Around 15 to 20 minutes.

lapushka
April 27th, 2017, 05:44 AM
There's also the curl by curl method. Here's a good video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWuQ7lJrPb4

SwanFeathers
April 27th, 2017, 08:28 AM
If you have waves or curls and cut it straigthened or wet, it will only ever seem even when it is straigthened or wet.

enting
April 27th, 2017, 10:11 AM
If you're getting lots of splits, I'd gently suggest protecting and pampering your hair. Benign neglect may be in order. Some hair types have a tendency toward splitting, and all the haircuts in the world won't get rid of them all unless you go bald. If the hairdressers used heat on your hair or were at all rough with your hair, you may be seeing lots of splits from that, too. If it's mainly from handling, then staying away from hairdressers should lead to less splits as well.

I've started microtrimming because my hair splits easily and then the ends get all tangled which leads to ripping and more damage unless I trim the ends somewhat frequently. I don't take off more than a finger's width of hair at a time, and I may take less. I basically hold my ends between my pointer and middle fingers, smooth the hair down to the very end, and carefully trim just above my fingers. I don't worry about getting all the splits. If after a few days my ends still feel tangly and rough and I'm still seeing splits at the ends, I might go and take off a little bit more, but I don't take off more than that finger's width at one go. That way I can never take off too much.

I trim my hair when either wet or heavily oiled. My hair is wurly/curly, but I like a blunt cut. I find it is the easiest for me, and I don't really care if the hemline doesnt look exactly straight when it's dry and curly. It wouldn't look straight no matter what I did because of my curl pattern. In any case I usually wear it up.

Trimming frequently has helped *me*, but you may find that you don't actually need all those frequent trims. Think of the hairdressers' urgings as nothing more than a sales pitch. Ends that are old and could use a deep treatment do not need to get cut off. Even splits don't necessarily have to be cut off, it all depends on how you treat your hair and how your hair behaves. Certainly you do not need a "proper cut" (or rather, a chop) frequently. That just leads to getting too much cut off.

You can definitely trim your own hair. Just gather up your confidence, pick a method from the ones everyone's mentioned, buy some gleaming new scissors, and do it! Just keep in mind to always cut less than you think you want off. You can always cut more. You can't cut less :)

There's a thread here on LHC for Microtrimming and Maintaining that you might be interested in reading.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 27th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Sorry to read about your 2 consecutive bad hairdresser experiences :grouphug:

Mrstran
April 27th, 2017, 12:20 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. In this position, try to find something good as hard as it sounds. New fresher ends? Shorter styles again?

This just gave me a thought. I think I've got a game plan. If there is a time that I need to get a trim at a salon, after sitting, I will first tell the lady that I want a 1cm trim and no shorter because I'm growing my hair. Then before letter her touch my hair, I'll ask her some thing like "hang on can I ask you something?" I'd ask for her full honest opinion. If she so much as hints that she is against it and isn't supportive (costumer is always right, be polite) then I'll suddenly change my mind and leave.

Maybe that would help prevent an issue. Not fully fail safe though.

ETA the reason I didn't add anything about self trimming is because I dont know how to do it. I don't want to guess and give bad advice.

OhSuzi
April 27th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Bad times! After never really having long hair, I decided to grow out my pixie, grew my hair for 6 months no trims only for the hairdresser to ignore my request for a bob and to cut it back into a pixie. Not quite as drastic, but I get the frustration the waste of time and having to start all over again and being made to pay for the privilege.
It really bugged me for about the first two months, but by month 3 I could see the difference in my hair growth again and could now just look forward to growing my hair again. It's been 9 months now, time goes by both excruciatingly slowly and rediculously quickly, one minute I think there's no progress being made but then I can see from pics I was a pixie and now a chin/ shoulder length bob.
Since that bad hairdresser experience I've not been back so I have had 9 months growth with no trims at all. It's not really got a style, but I have not spotted any splits.
Can we get a pic of your hair, perhaps the condition is not that bad, it's just all you can concentrate on because of the bad hairdressing experiences. Or ask a friend if they think your hair has improved since he hair cuts or if they can see lots of splits, they maybe able to look at it more objectively.

Ifyou do have really bad splits, I'd defo invest in decent hairdressing scissors, trimming with razors n crappy scissors may only damage the hair further.
There are tutorials on trimming yourself, or get a trusted friend to do it, who more likely will listen and only trim what you ask.

If there aren't that many splits I'd really just try letting it grow without trims.

spidermom
April 27th, 2017, 04:59 PM
When I trimmed my own hair, I would do it before washing it after combing and brushing thoroughly. That's when it was as straight as it would ever be naturally.

Right now I'm wearing my hair shorter and enjoying salon visits. I guess I'm a good communicator because I've seldom had a stylist do something different from what I asked for.

noahnoah
May 2nd, 2017, 08:44 AM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. In this position, try to find something good as hard as it sounds. New fresher ends? Shorter styles again?
I can't find anything positive about it, I've lost like 30 cm in 6 months, and the hairdresser didn't even do a good job, the edges are all jagged-y and the hemline is crooked :mad: Also, I deiscovered just one week after my appointment that i now have a TON of split ends. Whaaat? How is this possible? Either my hair splits like crazy and is "sick" in some way, or the razor he used must've caused the split ends?

Bad times! After never really having long hair, I decided to grow out my pixie, grew my hair for 6 months no trims only for the hairdresser to ignore my request for a bob and to cut it back into a pixie. Not quite as drastic, but I get the frustration the waste of time and having to start all over again and being made to pay for the privilege.
That's 70 USD down the drain, and it didn't even include a wash or styling lol. I get you, sucks when they can't just abide by our wishes. Bobs look gorgeous so such a shame she/he cut it back into a pixie! Seems like I am far far from being alone in this, it seems as if all hairdresses HATE long hair and only care about making $$!

Ifyou do have really bad splits, I'd defo invest in decent hairdressing scissors, trimming with razors n crappy scissors may only damage the hair further.
My hair didn't usually split often, I could go 2-4 years without a cut, but after I went to the hairdresser 6 months ago my hair started to split (even though they cut off abt 15cm). Then I went again this time for a trim (they took off 20cm or more!) and now AGAIN I have split ends just one week after! I'm actually looking for hairdressing scissors - seems like I need to order online cause I can't find them in stores. DO you have any idea where we can find hairdressing scissors? I don't even dare buying something off ebay or amazon if it's the cheap stuff from china, as I'm afraid it may harm my hair even more.

Right now I'm wearing my hair shorter and enjoying salon visits. I guess I'm a good communicator because I've seldom had a stylist do something different from what I asked for.
Honestly I don't believe it's about communication. You can't be any more clear than I was.

I told them how many cm I wanted trimmed.
I told them not to trim anymore than X cm, regardless!
I showed them with my fingers how much to cut off, and not to cut off any more than that.
I showed them on a ruler
I told them that last time I went in for a trim they cut off 15cm, and that I was pissed, and that this time I want to have it my way. I am only in for a TRIM 3 cm maximum.

We discussed the cut for a proper 15 minuters, if not longer. I am not supposed to need to bring a ruler to the hairdressers. There's a HUGE difference between 3cm and 20cm, so I genuinely don't belive this is a matter of communication - some hair dressers just think they are entitled to do whatever they want to your hair because they are the "professionals".

oatmeal1991
May 2nd, 2017, 04:29 PM
I feel like your sudden influx of split ends might be from the salons using a razor on your hair. I would invest in a nice new pair of haircutting scissors, and hopefully after some S&D sessions you'll catch most of them. I have hair that ranges from 1C to 2B, and I used feyes straight across method on my dry, not-straightened hair. If you straighten it first, it won't be even once your waves shrink up, since they won't all shrink the exact same amount. It worked great for me! It seems scary at first, but since you are in full control, you can cut less than you want in case you need to even things up a bit.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2017, 05:01 PM
That is bizarre since you were so specific. As many of these stories as I read here, it astonishes me that in all my 63 years of spontaneously walking into hair salons all over the USA, I've never, but never, encountered one of these.

Chromis
May 2nd, 2017, 05:18 PM
That is bizarre since you were so specific. As many of these stories as I read here, it astonishes me that in all my 63 years of spontaneously walking into hair salons all over the USA, I've never, but never, encountered one of these.

You have stolen all our salon mojo! Or possibly you have a superpower. Actually, as awesome as you are, I am leaning towards the latter.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2017, 09:49 PM
My superpower; I like that. Thanks Chromis!