PDA

View Full Version : Storing Horn

HazelnutDelight
October 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I got my horn hair sticks around July and I've noticed a bunch of little cracks or scratches some of them I don't know how they got there. It seems like a lot and if it keeps going I'm probably going to have to replace them which I really don't want to do. How can I take better care of them? Does anybody have this problem? How do you protect them?

Missie
October 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
my horn comb doesn't have anything like that happening to it and it has a rough life on my dressing table.. its gets things dropped on it.. but no nicks or scratches..

manderly
October 25th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I have 1 comb with these little hairline cracks, as well as 2 forks. The rest of my horn stuff is pretty smooth.

Remember they're made of keratin, just like your finger nails. If you had a fingernail laying around for a while (eww) without any moisture it would soon dry out and start to get little fissures in it.

It sounds like your sticks are just too dry, I would try oiling them for a bit and see if you can reverse any of the damage (don't know if that's possible). If you can't reverse it, regular oiling can at least keep it from getting worse.