PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Oil: What's the deal?

mariposa0522
April 23rd, 2017, 06:30 PM
I just have to ask... I see a lot of you lovelies state in posts that you apply mineral oil to your locks. I've read a few posts that many of you use J&J... What's the reason you use mineral oil? I was under the impression that mineral oil was bad choice for the hair, so why are so many of you using it? Would love-love-love to hear your reasoning 😁

Sarahlabyrinth
April 23rd, 2017, 06:39 PM
.....Shine..... :)

spidermom
April 23rd, 2017, 06:43 PM
I felt it did nothing for my hair but make it greasy and attract lint and dust.

Nique1202
April 23rd, 2017, 07:00 PM
Aside from enjoying the smell of baby oil, my hair reacts the same way to it as to any other oil I've ever put on. Cheap, smells good, does what I want it to... what's supposed to be bad about it? It maybe doesn't penetrate the hair the way some of the plant oils do, but that's not always the point. Sometimes you want something to either seal moisture in after a wash, or lubricate the strands to stop tangles. Mineral oil's good at both of those.

mariposa0522
April 23rd, 2017, 07:16 PM
Aside from enjoying the smell of baby oil, my hair reacts the same way to it as to any other oil I've ever put on. Cheap, smells good, does what I want it to... what's supposed to be bad about it? It maybe doesn't penetrate the hair the way some of the plant oils do, but that's not always the point. Sometimes you want something to either seal moisture in after a wash, or lubricate the strands to stop tangles. Mineral oil's good at both of those.

Well "supposedly" because it can be a potential irritant to the scalp. It can clog up the hair follicles and attract dirt which is not a good combination. It is difficult to wash out of hair, thus causing you to rub your hair more and thus cause unwanted hair breaks
Can potentially be contaminated with carcinogens
Acts as a barrier between your scalp and air so it can be difficult for your scalp to get the air and moisture it needs thus in the long run can cause dryness and dandruff
No vitamins in mineral oil, so you aren't really providing your hair the nutrients it needs and thus It can't thrive

neko_kawaii
April 23rd, 2017, 07:17 PM
Here is the longest thread on mineral oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298).

Wildcat Diva
April 23rd, 2017, 10:15 PM
All the reasons in that thread linked. Especially holding in moisture and combatting frizz.
Oh,and again especially ...detangling. Oh and softness.

The three drops don't go on my scalp. It's no big deal.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 23rd, 2017, 10:33 PM
Well "supposedly" because it can be a potential irritant to the scalp. It can clog up the hair follicles and attract dirt which is not a good combination. It is difficult to wash out of hair, thus causing you to rub your hair more and thus cause unwanted hair breaks
Acts as a barrier between your scalp and air so it can be difficult for your scalp to get the air and moisture it needs thus in the long run can cause dryness and dandruff
No vitamins in mineral oil, so you aren't really providing your hair the nutrients it needs and thus It can't thrive

I never put it on my scalp, just a couple of drops from the ears down. My hair loves the stuff. It washes out easily enough for me too.

Groovy Granny
April 24th, 2017, 12:09 AM
My fine silver loves it (baby oil form); just a few drops from the ears down after a dollop of leave in conditioner, and I get great slip, no tangles or frizz.
It is very light, so in the Winter I usually use it as a base for an oil blend of almond, apricot, grapeseed, rosehip, and jojoba.

ghanima
April 24th, 2017, 12:34 AM
It doesn't weigh down the hair and doesn't make them look greasy or cakey, while making them frizz-free because it's a great sealant. You have to use it sparingly, just a few drops are enough, and only for ears down.
I had the same reaction you're having initially btw. Ktani's explanations were very useful.

proo
April 24th, 2017, 05:07 AM
It's used liberally on babies, so a few drops on hair ends is probably safe enough
It's my favorite

mariposa0522
April 24th, 2017, 05:14 AM
Here is the longest thread on mineral oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298).

awesome, I will check the link out... Thank you so much!! :)

mariposa0522
April 24th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Can I just say how wonderful you ladies are are responding to my posts!!! Such a great community and support!! :) So excited to be part of it, and having you ladies give me tips that will help in my hair journey is so great!
Thank you all so much!!! :)

Nique1202
April 24th, 2017, 07:09 AM

Anything you can name is an irritant to somebody's skin, that doesn't mean that it's all that common to get a reaction. Most of us don't use oils on our scalps, because our scalps get plenty oily on their own with sebum. As for carcinogens, life causes death so I'm not overly concerned about the possibility of one molecule or two that MIGHT have the potential to cause cancer when fed in body-weight quantities to rats, in my giant bottle of baby oil. And, the scalp doesn't really absorb much in the way of vitamins or nutrients in plant oils either. The follicle gets its nutrients from your bloodstream, which is to say, from the things you eat. Scalp dryness or oiliness is mostly determined genetically, your scalp won't suddenly turn dry from putting oil on it. And, I'm pretty sure that funguses cause dandruff, and they have a harder time feeding on mineral oil than on plant oils.

tl;dr I really wouldn't be concerned. If you don't like the results it gives you, then there's no need for you to use it, but if you try it and like it, there's really not much logical reason to be worried about it. Especially if you only use it on the length and ends.

mariposa0522
April 24th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Anything you can name is an irritant to somebody's skin, that doesn't mean that it's all that common to get a reaction. Most of us don't use oils on our scalps, because our scalps get plenty oily on their own with sebum. As for carcinogens, life causes death so I'm not overly concerned about the possibility of one molecule or two that MIGHT have the potential to cause cancer when fed in body-weight quantities to rats, in my giant bottle of baby oil. And, the scalp doesn't really absorb much in the way of vitamins or nutrients in plant oils either. The follicle gets its nutrients from your bloodstream, which is to say, from the things you eat. Scalp dryness or oiliness is mostly determined genetically, your scalp won't suddenly turn dry from putting oil on it. And, I'm pretty sure that funguses cause dandruff, and they have a harder time feeding on mineral oil than on plant oils.

tl;dr I really wouldn't be concerned. If you don't like the results it gives you, then there's no need for you to use it, but if you try it and like it, there's really not much logical reason to be worried about it. Especially if you only use it on the length and ends.

Those are good points :)

mizukitty
April 24th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Very good posts in this thread! I'm just echoing what pretty much everyone said - it's one of the best sealing oils for my hair post wash on damp hair. It prevents the ends (that are more damaged, porous, prone to split ends) from drying instantly - and then drying OUT shortly thereafter. That's not to say I use only mineral oil, but rather emulsions that contain it. I find when there's a blend of a penetrating oil - coconut - a good sealing oil - mineral - and a bit of silicone to give me that slip, it's a winning product for me.

hayheadsbird
April 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Personally I don't use and don't plan to try it because last time I used it on my skin on my body I reacted to it. I suspect it was more the fragrance ect in it than the oil itself, but there's plenty of other oils to try I don't have reactions to. YMMV kinda thing.

Hairkay
April 24th, 2017, 12:03 PM
I don't use regular mineral oil because of the added fragrance. I do use some in skincare products. Almost all of the regular doctor prescribed skin care products for certain skin conditions have mineral oil in them.

ghanima
April 24th, 2017, 12:11 PM
I think one can easily find pure MO in the pharmacy without added fragrance, and it is widely known as a substance that very rarely if ever causes allergies - which is one of the reasons of its massive use in cosmesis.

lapushka
April 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I just have to ask... I see a lot of you lovelies state in posts that you apply mineral oil to your locks. I've read a few posts that many of you use J&J... What's the reason you use mineral oil? I was under the impression that mineral oil was bad choice for the hair, so why are so many of you using it? Would love-love-love to hear your reasoning ��

I use baby oil (lighter than plain MO you can get at the pharmacy, real MO is thicker).

It locks in moisture like no other and it is amazing for conditioning if you just use a few drops. I use MO in my moisturizer as well. I use the Nivea in the blue tin (their version of cold cream), and I have tried more natural cold creams, and they still dried my skin out, while the one with MO moisturizes like no other. It is just a *good product*.

You can't use too much though. So in the rinse-out oil method (link in signature) I use 10 drops of baby oil on my last 3/4 inches.

Works like a charm!

I never use *any* oil on my scalp. Especially not baby oil, because on the scalp that has about the same thickness issue as castor oil or olive oil or the like (very hard to wash out).

AndyBird
May 29th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Oh this is very good to know :D I used to use an indian product with mineral oil and jasmine essential oil. It was incredibly yummy smelling and I felt it tamed my frizzies, but a friend told me that it would damage my hair over time so I stopped using it.

It's still in my bathroom somewhere, I'm going on a hunt for it now!

Cherriezzzzz
May 29th, 2017, 09:12 AM
I never put it on my scalp, just a couple of drops from the ears down. My hair loves the stuff. It washes out easily enough for me too.

I agree. I do not use straight mineral oil, but the leave in conditioner I buy it's the first (or 2nd) ingredient so I figure what's the difference LoL my hair in texture and thickness looks a lot like sarah labyrinth... so maybe as with all oils, it depends on your hair type.

Shiranshoku
May 29th, 2017, 03:18 PM
It's also a great make up remover, if you don't mind getting shiny. And cheap to boot!

yahirwaO.o
May 29th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Its cheap and does wonders even for my fine hair..... Hmmm great for fried ends and the shine.... THE SHINE!!!!! ;)

MotherofJames
May 29th, 2017, 10:04 PM
lapushka , I'm so happy you mentioned that!

I heard about baby oil from one of DreamSheeps posts one time. Now I've got to try it since now ive seen two people with amazing hair use it. I'm sold ! :) she also said it locks in the moisture, same exact thing you said so I'm totally sold

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2017, 11:41 PM
I agree. I do not use straight mineral oil, but the leave in conditioner I buy it's the first (or 2nd) ingredient so I figure what's the difference LoL my hair in texture and thickness looks a lot like sarah labyrinth... so maybe as with all oils, it depends on your hair type.

Hey - hello, hair twin! :D

ghanima
May 29th, 2017, 11:54 PM
lapushka , I'm so happy you mentioned that!

I heard about baby oil from one of DreamSheeps posts one time. Now I've got to try it since now ive seen two people with amazing hair use it. I'm sold ! :) she also said it locks in the moisture, same exact thing you said so I'm totally sold
She actually learnt that from Lapushka. It's in the RO thread.

esfand
May 30th, 2017, 12:06 AM
It's one of the most occlusive oils, meaning it seals moisture in very well. It's also very lightweight and spreads thin, so you only need a tiny bit to effectively coat your hair while providing slip.

lapushka
May 30th, 2017, 05:33 AM
She actually learnt that from Lapushka. It's in the RO thread.

The rinse out oil thread is in my signature, if you're curious. :)

Cherriezzzzz
May 30th, 2017, 05:46 AM
Hey - hello, hair twin! :D

Now can I borrow your blond color and length too ;)

This thread is making me wonder why I spend so much $ on my leave in when i could buy the mineral oil straight...:thud:

lapushka
May 30th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Now can I borrow your blond color and length too ;)

This thread is making me wonder why I spend so much $ on my leave in when i could buy the mineral oil straight...:thud:

Hint: use baby oil instead (yes regular J&J), it is a lighter version of straight up "mineral oil" (might be too heavy).

going gray
May 30th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Mineral Oil is wonderful, my hair loves it too.