PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye disaster going from blonde to brown :(

biene16
April 23rd, 2017, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I really could use some help. My natural hair color is like a medium/dark ashy blonde (like Taylor Swift's hair) and I had it dyed like this for a long time and it blended well with this:
https://imgur.com/gallery/qK0sW

I wanted to go darker to like a light brown but not too dark. I really wanted to go for Gigi Hadid's current haircolor, like this: https://imgur.com/gallery/8BJNf

I used a level 6.3 (light golden brown) and it didn't turn out terrible but had like a green tint to it. I went to Sally's and I was told to use Wella Color Charm 7W and a 20 vol developer. I did that and left it in for 40 mins (it said 30-45 mins) but it is now this really dark weird looking mess: https://imgur.com/gallery/7dykT
It's awful :(

I don't know what I should do now. My hair before was perfect but I just wanted to go a little bit darker and now I feel like I completely ruined my hair. I'll go back to Sally's tomorrow and ask for help but if you guys have any recommendations, it'd mean a lot.

Aphra
April 23rd, 2017, 03:27 AM
Firstly, try not to panic - you haven't completely ruined it. It's a temporary set back.

Secondly, rather than trying to fix this yourself, I'd get professional advice from a good colorist. Don't necessarily let the first one you talk to do what they want, but drop into a few decent places and get some opinions, then take it from there.

In the meantime, baby your hair a bit, so any colour damage is managed.

Rhoward
April 23rd, 2017, 03:54 AM
If its within 72 hours of dying it you have a really good chance of fading it. Pack heaps of coconut oil in it and leave it for a few hours, then wash it 3-4 times with anti-dandruff shampoo with a small handful of baking soda mixed in. It should fade a fair bit of the colour out, it wont kill your hair but it will be drying so follow with a really good moisture treatment.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 04:03 AM
Normally if you use regular box dyes and you go 1 to 2 tints darker, those boxes have red pigment in them so you won't turn green. That's what I was always told, anyway.

You need a red pigment if you want to go from blonde to brown. So yes, I'd go to a colorist and have it done. The same goes for henna. If you put indigo on light blonde hair, it will turn green if you don't henna first (aka give it red pigment).

Do *not* do this on your own.

I just now looked at your pictures. *Where* is the green, exactly? :hmm:

Suze
April 23rd, 2017, 04:10 AM
I would't go to a colorist and risk your hare being damaged, The box dye is very likely to fade and like others said you can help the color to be less intense. You could do a mask or a SMT and/or wash with a shampoo such as Head and Shoulders to strip the dye a bit.

Btw, I think it looks great and suits you really well.

Nique1202
April 23rd, 2017, 04:39 AM
If its within 72 hours of dying it you have a really good chance of fading it. Pack heaps of coconut oil in it and leave it for a few hours, then wash it 3-4 times with anti-dandruff shampoo with a small handful of baking soda mixed in. It should fade a fair bit of the colour out, it wont kill your hair but it will be drying so follow with a really good moisture treatment.

Coconut oil seems like it would seal in the colour, rather than extracting it. Also, never ever ever baking soda on hair. It won't fade anything, all it will do is damage the cuticle.

Aliciaspinnet
April 23rd, 2017, 05:33 AM
Normally if you use regular box dyes and you go 1 to 2 tints darker, those boxes have red pigment in them so you won't turn green. That's what I was always told, anyway.

You need a red pigment if you want to go from blonde to brown. So yes, I'd go to a colorist and have it done. The same goes for henna. If you put indigo on light blonde hair, it will turn green if you don't henna first (aka give it red pigment).

I just want to second this! I recently dyed my hair from blonde to brown at home, and luckily I did some research first. You must add in red pigments with a semi permanent dye (I think this is called prepigging or filling) before covering with a permanent brown dye. Hair colour is made up of multiple different pigments - this is why when you bleach you go through red to orange to yellow (and then need to tone with purple to get a natural blonde). Darker brown box hair dyes contain proportionally more green pigment because they're designed to be used on hair that already has red pigments in it, which blonde hair lacks.

reilly0167
April 23rd, 2017, 06:03 AM

I don't see any hint of green either, I agree in not doing anything yourself. Its best to go to a colorist.

biene16
April 23rd, 2017, 07:41 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback everyone! I initially used box dye (Garnier Olia 6.3) but it bad a green tint so I went to Sally's to get a filler/get red pigment in it. The Wella Color Charm 7W is a professional hair color and it does have red pigment in it but for some reason it looks darker to me .. Idk but to me it doesn't look more red but darker, greenish and grayish in the light

MotherofJames
April 23rd, 2017, 07:44 AM
Hi,

It's okay, it happened to me too , a while back. The only step that you probably missed was a filler, like a protein filler , that your hair need from going to blonde to brown. The lady at the Sally's should have told you that but they really aren't professionals. If you dye it one more time, try to use a protein filler (also at Sally's) before dying it again . I really don't think you will get that girls hair you showed in the photo though. Because hers is a high-lightened brown . If you had put lowlights in your hair a couple of times, you might have gotten her results (starting when you blonde hair) . But the base is now dark . So you won't achieve her look without correcting the base first and then adding highlights . It is achievable . But if your going to do it yourself , I would suggest getting the protein filler first and getting a good base color. Then adding subtle highlights after that. if you are feeling uneasy about it, I would go see a salon professional . Good luck ! And don't worry. We've all
Been there ��

biene16
April 23rd, 2017, 07:55 AM
Here's what it looks like now in direct sunlight: https://imgur.com/gallery/M06a1

This is what it looks like in bathroom lighting: https://imgur.com/a/aX40W

I don't know which lighting to trust now but it looks really bad to me in artifical light :/ I can't really go to a colorist because they'd charge around $200-300. I did put red pigment in so I'm not sure why it looks so much darker and kinda weird in artifical light.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback everyone! I initially used box dye (Garnier Olia 6.3) but it bad a green tint so I went to Sally's to get a filler/get red pigment in it. The Wella Color Charm 7W is a professional hair color and it does have red pigment in it but for some reason it looks darker to me .. Idk but to me it doesn't look more red but darker, greenish and grayish in the light

Maybe just hold your horses, and wait until you've had one wash after this; then see what it looks like.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 08:02 AM
Here's what it looks like now in direct sunlight: https://imgur.com/gallery/M06a1

This is what it looks like in bathroom lighting: https://imgur.com/a/aX40W

I don't know which lighting to trust now but it looks really bad to me in artifical light :/ I can't really go to a colorist because they'd charge around $200-300. I did put red pigment in so I'm not sure why it looks so much darker and kinda weird in artifical light.

In the second pic I can see a little strand that has a *slight* greenish hue, but that might be where you forgot to put the red pigment? Sometimes doing things ourselves is hard and you might not have covered your head in it well enough.

I'd leave it as is. :flower:

Frankenstein
April 23rd, 2017, 08:58 AM
This same thing happened to me once but it was much worse; actually grey-green swampy hair :lol: I really don't think yours look bad at all though! I'd recommend waiting until you've washed it several times and then see what it looks like because it's very likely to fade into something that looks more like what you wanted.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2017, 10:18 AM
Please do a few deep moisture treatments before you do anything else.

Hay_jules
April 23rd, 2017, 11:04 AM
I agree with the others about giving it a wash or a few to see what it settles into. But if you can't see a professional colourist don't get caught up in the vicious circle of trying to "fix" things by adding more. If it's too dark buy some color oops or colorb4 (or some similar sulphur based colour remover - NOT colour stripper). It can only remove dye pigments so if your hair has been lightened underneath from the peroxide (which it likely has) you may end up with a different colour than when you started. But it gives you a chance to research a little better how to achieve something similar to your goal. Just keep in mind that after a colour remover you need to rinse for a long time (at least a half hour) and your hair will be more porous and of you try to dye again immediately after it will go much darker than you want.

akurah
April 23rd, 2017, 12:11 PM

Not that it entirely matters because you're not happy with the color (and should get it fixed not because it looks bad, but because you're not happy)...
but that color is very similar to (possibly the same as) my hair color when in similar/same light, so if you're worried about looking unnatural, it doesn't. (hoping perhaps that makes you feel better!)

*Wednesday*
April 23rd, 2017, 01:48 PM
Yes. It does have a green-ish cast to it. I actually like your hair blonde as it suites your coloring. This green thing, normally happens when blondes use blue base dyes. Yellow and blue = Greenish. Right now, your hair is saturated with color and porous. DO not attempt to color it. Contact a stylist who specializes in corrective coloring. They beauty supply stores give "kitchen beauticians" advice but be careful, they don't know your hair. Don't make it worse. I think most here are in agreement with seeing a professional.

ZeppHead
April 23rd, 2017, 03:28 PM
I would let it alone. Dye fades even permanent dye. I've had the same issues a few times. Wash and deep conditioning often. Use clarifying shampoo don't use any more color, I would try and salvage the healthy hair you have now. Eventually, I'd say within a month it will have faded some and your color underneath might even start peeking through and you may like it. Give it some time before you make any drastic decisions and chance ruining your hair.
FYI head and shoulders strips hair color like crazy.

OhSuzi
April 23rd, 2017, 06:08 PM
Your hair looks like a really lovely shade of golden brown to me. I'd give it a few days before you did anything to it. 1. It may just be that your not used to this colour if you've been very blonde for a long time. 2. Box dyes and toners start off pigmenty and dark but they fade and go lighter with time/ a few washes 3. If you keep tinkering with your hair and more products trying to correct it you will completely reck it for reals!

Give your hair a rest, see how it settles. I really like the colour in the photos, I think it does look a bit Gigi hadid.

If you get desperate, rinse your hair with a fizzy vitamin c tablet like barocca, it will take out some of the dye pigment and fade it quicker than waiting for several weeks of hair washing.
It's gentler and cheaper with less chemicals and a less extreme effect than hair b4/ colour oops or other pigment strippers.
However it would still be a harshish process that would dry your hair out so you'd want to give it a really really good condition afterwards and then leave your hair alone and give it a rest for at least 3 weeks.

You could then try adding a gentle wash in wash out toner, note blonde toners will not make dark hair lighter again, however they might add a golden shine and just maybe make your hair colour brighter shinier and healthier looking

OhSuzi
April 23rd, 2017, 06:15 PM
Also I didn't notice your eyes particularly in the blonde photo but they look intensely deep brown with the darker hair, they really compliment each other.

biene16
April 23rd, 2017, 08:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your input! I tried to remove as much as I could without doing any more damage or using a color remover and it looks like this now in direct sunlight: https://imgur.com/gallery/fz4y6

In artifical light it just looks black now - Idk why it got darker but I'll just leave it how it is for now. I seriously felt like crying because I never thought I could do that much damage wanting to go to a light brown from my natural hair. It should fade because I used demi permanent dye but yeah .. thank you to those of you who say it doesn't look that bad. I think I'm shocked cause I've been blonde my whole life

Anje
April 23rd, 2017, 08:16 PM
I'd leave it at this point. To me, it looks like a light ashy brown more than green, at least on my monitor. Let it wash in a bit and see what it does, rather than panicking and potentially overprocessing it.

Siri
April 23rd, 2017, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't rush into anything, give it time, it will fade as you wash it and are in the sun. I think the color looks good on you.

maybe sparrow
April 24th, 2017, 12:00 AM
What color remover did you use? Was it ColorOops or something with vitamin c? (There's Malibu CPR which is vitamin c, ftr.)

akurah
April 24th, 2017, 12:30 AM
I would treat your hair very gently for the next few days. I also have information below. I highly, highly suggest that if you choose to do what is provided in information below, you give your hair time to rest before doing.

I am REALLY reluctant to mention this because it might make matters worse, but I also almost feel obligated to.
One possible option might be this:
Ivory Soap for Hair Color Correction (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=108834)

I just did that yesterday to hurry up the purple from Elumen out of my hair (much of it is gone already, but it's not gone completely). I substituted Jergens for Ivory, because it was at the dollar store and Ivory wasn't. (pH of Jergens is 10, so similar pH to ivory). It pulled out quite a bit more dye than I expected (expected it to be a dud to be frank), but there's still dye left. I followed with an ACV rinse, then I did an SMT the following day (today). If you do this, do something that will put the pH of your hair BACK to where it was prior treatment if possible (hair and scalp prefer a slightly acidic environment, around 4-5 pH if memory serves). I did the SMT to put the pH "back".
info on pH: https://www.naturalgirlsrock.com/blogs/rockin-guest-bloggers-speak/12212729-how-to-balance-ph-in-hair-naturally

The mechanism behind why this works is basically this: high pH opens the cuticles, so the dye molecules can get washed out more readily. It's also why it's really important to put the ph balance back to acidic when done, because cuticles being open makes your hair tangle fierce and otherwise puts it in bad shape.

There is still purple in my hair, though it's harder to see than it was pre-treatment. I am undecided if I am going to continue the above weekly until the dye is gone, or if I'm going to see if the Elumen Return product might do the same but in one shot as advertised.

WHY I AM RELUCTANT TO RECOMMEND: it'll pull dye, but it may not pull the right colors--your hair may go back to green. it also may not pull ENOUGH color. This will be more noticeable on blond or light hair. My hair's pretty dark except on my crown area, so I can get away with a bit more color-related errors than someone with lighter hair might could

maybe sparrow
April 24th, 2017, 12:35 AM
The dye in Wella is not going to act the same way an unnatural color dye like purple is going to work. Do NOT strip it with Ivory, Jergens, or Prell.

maybe sparrow
April 24th, 2017, 12:42 AM
The issue is probably that Wella's ashy means "olive" instead of "violet" after level 7. They switch from violet toning to olive at level 7. (Which is why they have that weird 7.5 color.) So you risk gray-green.

akurah
April 24th, 2017, 12:51 AM
The dye in Wella is not going to act the same way an unnatural color dye like purple is going to work. Do NOT strip it with Ivory, Jergens, or Prell.

The original poster of the thread I linked used a box dye. Not that it means it is the same as Wella, I don't know what Wella is, and what I consider box dye is what you can get at a supermarket or Target. Those require developers, and Wella appears to too based on original post. Dye removal techniques designed for box dyes and other such also occasionally work for unnatural colors, that's why I used it. I was not suggesting she use a technique for unnatural colors on a box dye, that street isn't two way.

I'd recommend it not be done anyway, because if the other dye molecules skip town but the green ones don't, OP is stuck with green hair. That said, OP's call, not mine. the soap method of color stripping is probably going to be a bit friendlier to hair than repeated applications of color oops or similar products.