PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted: can I wash my hair daily?

emmadilemma
April 22nd, 2017, 10:27 PM
Hello!
I haven't been here in awhile, I've been busy. I won't bore you with details, but I was wondering for your expertise and humble opinions. Here are my details-
TMI Time- I have body acne (please don't judge.) Currently my doctor has me washing daily with a acne medication body wash, because going every other or every few days just exacerbates it- I had heard it was better to give your skin a break, and that's not true for me so we're trying every day. So, I have to shower every day.
I work out 5 days a week- I alternate days of intense yoga, and weight lifting. The weight lifting has me laying on a dirty floor and touching machines and barbells so showering is necessary, and yoga has me touching floors and it's starting to get hot so showering is necessary those days too. Also I'm afraid of sweat clogging my hair follicles.
I've been just rinsing and rubbing the balls of my fingers on my scalp when I shower, I always thought it was better to stretch washes even though I've never had benefits from it, it's never calmed my oily scalp down, but I'll admit I get oily by the end of the day either way. Even if I go long periods with once a week washing, or every three days, or daily- long story short I've never had changes with stretching washes. I just always thought it was better to stretch washes?
I use a natural shampoo bar (one that has no butters because shea and cocoa butter build up on my scalp) and my conditioner is a natural conditioner bar that I keep on my ends only but has mango butter in it. These do make my hair so shiny and makes it look luxurious, and don't have harsh chemicals.
So, lovely hair humans, what do you think? Can I wash my hair daily without (gulp) consequences?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 22nd, 2017, 10:34 PM
I think you will just have to try it and see. Some people can wash daily (not me, it dries my hair out horribly), and some can't. Could you try it for, say, a month and then see how your hair likes it?

Trial and error on what your hair likes is best, and everyone's hair has differing likes and dislikes. if your hair is tending towards being fine, you may have to be somewhat cautious, but you won't know for sure unless you give it a go.

Natashap
April 22nd, 2017, 10:42 PM
same here ~i am thinking which is best for me.

With your training ,don't seem any harm in doing daily washes.

just be gentle with your hair and you should be fine.

I have acne and oily skin too (no judging dear).

I have done so many years of daily washing untl i got eczema.

most ppl say don't wash oily scalp too much or it will produce more oils as it re activates follicles.

But i dont know.

i did stretching between washes but now its summer and my routine is what is making me do daily....but unsure ??

we both in same boat ~

but i feel you will be ok with daily washing.

if i can ask which shampoo bars you buy?if u dont mind...

Borgessa
April 22nd, 2017, 11:30 PM
You have to do what is right for you and your head. No one else can decide what that is. If it needs washing daily, then that's what it needs. Sound like you have very good reasons to be be washing daily with your body acne and if your doc has prescribed it, then that's what ya got to do. Crystal Gayle washed her hair every day and she's has hair down past her knees. Just be gentle with it. Maybe try just washing the scalp and not the whole length every time and be gentle with it when you do wash it, wet hair is often more easily damaged as you probably know.

akurah
April 22nd, 2017, 11:59 PM
It's ok to wash your hair.

Wash stretching isn't for everyone, and it's not good for everyone either--some people will find they need to wash daily. You may fall in that camp, and that's ok, it's not a hair sin and it's unlikely to cause anything significant to change with your hair growth.

You may find that you will want to moisturize your length more with a leave-in if you are washing daily, and considering your circumstances, it sounds like it is best to keep the moisture both simple and off your skin (suggest putting a towel over shoulders before applying, then applying the leave in from ears or lower down). I would recommend either coconut or jojoba oil if you don't already have a leave in. Start with tiny, tiny amounts.

emmadilemma
April 23rd, 2017, 12:20 AM
same here ~i am thinking which is best for me.

With your training ,don't seem any harm in doing daily washes.

just be gentle with your hair and you should be fine.

I have acne and oily skin too (no judging dear).

I have done so many years of daily washing untl i got eczema.

most ppl say don't wash oily scalp too much or it will produce more oils as it re activates follicles.

But i dont know.

i did stretching between washes but now its summer and my routine is what is making me do daily....but unsure ??

we both in same boat ~

but i feel you will be ok with daily washing.

if i can ask which shampoo bars you buy?if u dont mind...

Sweet Creek Soaps on etsy, her dark beer and honey bar. It makes my hair so shiny, I love it. And her price point is good too. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links, if it's not allowed I'll remove this, I just thought you might want a link-

https://www.etsy.com/listing/88914713/silk-herbal-shampoo-soap-dark-beer-honey?ref=shop_home_active_7

Indigomoonapothecary (formerly NotADirtyHippie) conditioner bar is the conditioner I use, if you wanted to know that too. It makes my ends soft and doesn't dull the shine from the shampoo. Again, if I'm not supposed to put links I'll remove this, but just in case you'd want it- :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263116688/solid-conditioner-bar-hair-conditioner?ref=shop_home_feat_2

emmadilemma
April 23rd, 2017, 12:22 AM
Thank you guys! It's nice to know I'm not going to be condemned (joke)! Thank you for all the tips and tricks! Now, I just need to find a good leave-in..... :happydance:

Kat-Rinnè Naido
April 23rd, 2017, 04:40 AM
Remember YMMV
All members only do what is good for their own health. So don't go trying to make yourself feel guilty:blossom:

Good luck :toast:

Arctic
April 23rd, 2017, 05:14 AM
Sure you can wash daily. You will likely need to find a balance between what you scalp/skin and hair wants, they are not always the same.

On the topic of your skin, as someone who has struggled with acne prone skin all my life (well, since the teens) I notice you use lot of oily products. I know my skin cannot take oils and will break out in acne. It took me loooong time to admit this after I had came to LHC, found out how my hair loves oils .... and starting to suffer the worst acne of my life. When I finally allowed myself to really look into my routine and started to suspect the oils it took a long time even after that to scrape up the courage for quitting oils. My skin improved very quickly when I finally did. After that it has been easy to see how it works: use oils, get acne. Stop oils, acne goes away.

Everybody is different but I suggest you try and avoid oils for a while and see how your skin likes it.

pailin
April 23rd, 2017, 05:29 AM
I wash daily- I sweat a lot and stretching washes never improved my oily itchy scalp. My scalp is just happier this way. I do go heavy on moisture, and I figure the point where hair is too long may well be the point where daily washing is too much work. Haven't reached that yet at BCL. Some people will say you can have one hair vice- mine is frequent washing.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 07:57 AM
Thank you guys! It's nice to know I'm not going to be condemned (joke)! Thank you for all the tips and tricks! Now, I just need to find a good leave-in..... :happydance:

Try the JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture. It comes in a big tub, and you don't need much at all. But beware as it is quite runny, so be careful not to spill it!

Nymphaea
April 23rd, 2017, 08:19 AM
i wash my hair every other day and when it feels oily i wash it every day.
I tried stretching between washes to for a long time, using dry shampoo but i hate that stuff.
sometimes i use it when i'm in a run but otherwise i just wash it.
when i wash it i try to be as careful as possible so i don't create to much friction.
so i would say just wash it daily but just be sure to moistrize your hair enough.
I use some argan oil as a pre wash 2 times a week and always use a dry oil as a leave in.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 08:38 AM
Some of us just can't stretch washes. I was one of those people who just *had to* wash 2 to 3 times a week. Then due to medical issues I wasn't able to get my hair washed (Menière's) but once every 14 days. It went on for months and months and I had a massive bout of SD to show for it at the end of it all. After that I could suddenly go once a week. I would *not* recommend stretching that massively if you have oily hair (I did, which has now normalized somewhat), so if you have to wash it every day, just do it. At least that's my 2cts on it.

ghanima
April 23rd, 2017, 08:55 AM
I just read yesterday that vit.b is good for acne. I have no experience with it, but I LOVE my b50 as it gives me energy and good mood. Not being a great meat eater I need it.
Anyway, definitely if you feel better about washing your hair every day, do that. I am not sure that it is mandatory because of acne, but if those gym floors gross you out, well they do.

sarahthegemini
April 23rd, 2017, 01:40 PM
It's perfectly fine to wash your hair when it needs washing. Don't let the scare mongering ("you'll destroy your hair if you wash it that often..bla bla") get to you. Wash as necessary whether that's daily or weekly.

ravenreed
April 23rd, 2017, 03:48 PM
I wash every other day, except in the summer when I wash every day. My hair actually does better when it gets washed frequently, as does my scalp. Plus, my shedding increases if I let my hair get greasy. I have gotten to fingertip length and it was still going strong so, it can be done. If you find washing every day doesn't work for you, you might want to wear a hair covering at the gym and just wash your body every day.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ravenreed/DSCN0070.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/ravenreed/media/DSCN0070.jpg.html)

Siri
April 24th, 2017, 01:43 AM
I rather wash my hair every other day but I can't stand it being oily when I'm going somewhere (it looks and feels so much better when it's really clean). Often for many days in a row I wash it every day when I have lot's of occasions going on and I've done fine with it.

Aredhel
April 25th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with washing your hair every single day as long as you're protecting it from drying out. :) I can wash two days in a row too if I need to, I just choose not to because I find greasy hair easier to manage for updos! Were I to wear it down every single day though, I'd definitely be washing every day or every other day again.

Andthetalltrees
April 25th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Despite what's all been recommended My hair is the happiest being washed every other day(With harsh shampoos to boot!) because it gives no chance for my scalp to act up. My hair look the best it has in a while and is growing fine. So do whatever you need to

emmadilemma
April 25th, 2017, 06:38 PM
It makes me feel a lot better knowing that there's a lot of more frequent washers out there. So far I'm managing, no excessive dryness or anything but I am noticing that when I have a good hair day, I have to wash it again soon after I realize I'm like "hey I like this!" XD I'm thinking about adding a leave-in but there's so much trial and error in finding new products. My skin and hair love oils so I might try that pre-wash oil but I'm worried that could get expensive! Anybody know an oil that's good for curly hair? I was also creeping devacurl...
Also, oils are okay with my skin but that's incredibly clever, I never thought about my hair products interfering with my skin. My skin does NOT like glycerin or coconut oil. Unfortunately it is inclined toward the ever expensive Argan oil >.> but my hair hates Shea and cocoa, but loves mango butter. Also how do you make a butter out of a mango? It's something I've been pondering lately....
The hair adventure continues!

akurah
April 25th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Also how do you make a butter out of a mango? It's something I've been pondering lately....

After reading that, I had to google. Had to know.

Thankfully, google did not disappoint!

https://www.annmariegianni.com/mango-seed-butter-skin-benefits/

from link:

As with most natural fruits, the seed has just as many benefits as the flesh. The mango seed can be formed into a powder, oil, or butter, depending on how it’s processed. Typically, the butter is cold-pressed from the seeds, and is said to be similar to cocoa and shea butters, in that it’s moisturizing without being greasy.

Dark40
April 26th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Yes, you can wash daily. I wouldn't advise anyone to use shampoo daily. I would do co washes daily, and shampoo once or twice a week.

EssentialJo
May 1st, 2017, 03:58 PM
Joining in with many other suggestions to go ahead and wash daily. Either co-wash in between shampoos as suggested above or use just a teeny tiny bit of the shampoo bar and just on the scalp.

As for oils, perhaps consider almond or grapeseed staying away from the scalp and from ears down.

Aredhel
May 1st, 2017, 04:16 PM
It makes me feel a lot better knowing that there's a lot of more frequent washers out there. So far I'm managing, no excessive dryness or anything but I am noticing that when I have a good hair day, I have to wash it again soon after I realize I'm like "hey I like this!" XD I'm thinking about adding a leave-in but there's so much trial and error in finding new products. My skin and hair love oils so I might try that pre-wash oil but I'm worried that could get expensive! Anybody know an oil that's good for curly hair? I was also creeping devacurl...
Also, oils are okay with my skin but that's incredibly clever, I never thought about my hair products interfering with my skin. My skin does NOT like glycerin or coconut oil. Unfortunately it is inclined toward the ever expensive Argan oil >.> but my hair hates Shea and cocoa, but loves mango butter. Also how do you make a butter out of a mango? It's something I've been pondering lately....

My hair and skin love argan too!

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative though, along with EssentialJo's great suggestions, you could also try jojoba, avocado oil or even EVOO... it's quite a bit heavier than argan, but a lot of curlies seem to love it! Plus it's something you might already have some in your kitchen, so why not give it a go! :)

Hairkay
May 1st, 2017, 04:46 PM
The one I heard is that butter is made from mango seed. Roast the seed in an oven on a low heat to dry it out (can also be dried out over a longer time in the sun etc the same way you dry fruits and herbs), crack it open to take out the cooked insides and mash that using a mortar and pestle. That's your butter.

ZeppHead
May 1st, 2017, 05:58 PM
I also exercise almost everyday and running really gets me sweaty and I know what it feels like to have that cool water on your scalp afterwards. I only wash every 3rd day. The days in between I use a light conditioner and literally rub it into my scalp like a shampoo like Im cleaning it. ( this falls under protocol for co washing) and this makes my scalp and hair look freshly washed until shampoo day. I usually use cheap v05 conditioners for this. If that wont work for you try just using water and massaging your scalp and conditioner on the lengths only. If that doesnt work for you, if you must use shampoo daily, I would look for a gentle sulfate free shampoo. Once you find a healthy balance that you and your own hair are happy with stick with it. Everyone is different so what one person does may not work for you and that doesnt mean you have to do it.

cactus89
May 1st, 2017, 09:29 PM
Yes, you can absolutely wash your hair every day. Different people have different needs. I tried to stretch washes when I was in high school but I just can't. My hair is in great condition and I wash every day.

I'm also not a huge fan of coconut oil. Sometimes I use a little camellia or jojoba oil on my ends, but generally my hair is happiest without any extras. What's important is that you find something that works for you.:D

Dark40
May 3rd, 2017, 03:31 PM
Sure you can wash daily. I wash daily. You just have to find a good moisturizing product that will keep your hair moisturized. So, that your hair won't get dried out.

oatmeal1991
May 3rd, 2017, 04:00 PM
One of my best friends has 3C hair, washes everyday, and her hair looks great, not particularly dry or damaged or anything! I'll echo what others have said - whatever works best for you is best!

yahirwaO.o
May 3rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Yes you can get away with washing every day. However some shampoo bars have a weird effect in Ph balances to scalp, if yours works fine everyday then do it. If you see an allergic reaction or severe dryness just switch to something else.