PDA

View Full Version : Tingle Tanning Lotion for Increased hair growth?

Syaoransbear
April 22nd, 2017, 03:51 PM
Many people have reported increased hair growth from scalp massages, cardio workouts, hanging their head over the side of the bed, etc.

But what about putting tingle tanning lotion on your scalp? Has anyone tried this? It forces blood to the area you applied it to for about an hour(this time probably depends on the lotion though). That's a lot of blood for a long time with pretty minimal effort. If simply getting blood to the surface of your skin can increase hair growth, wouldn't this be a pretty easy way to do it that would provide a lot of blood for a long time?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 22nd, 2017, 03:59 PM
I don't know that I would risk using that. Who knows what you would be absorbing through your scalp into your bloodstream?

Syaoransbear
April 22nd, 2017, 04:03 PM
I don't know that I would risk using that. Who knows what you would be absorbing through your scalp into your bloodstream?

It's meant to be used for the skin though, so is there a difference if it's on the scalp vs some other part of the body?

Suze
April 22nd, 2017, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't try that because scalp health is the most important after all. For me it is anyways. I learned that the hard way when I was trying to make my hair grow faster with the inversion method and using coconut oil. And using shampoo every day to wash that out. My scalp was very mad at me because it doesn't like heavy oils or sls shampoo's. It took months too calm things down and I had a BIG shed too. Just let your hair do it's own thing, it is not worth it. Well that is my two cents. :flower:

Rebel Rebel
April 22nd, 2017, 04:06 PM
I don't understand what this product is. A tanning lotion that tingles? Is it made for the scalp? It doesn't sound like a good idea and it might be a disaster to your hair and scalp. Not to discount the idea that blood flow is good for the scalp but I run a lot and definitely don't have faster hair growth. Could just be me though. 😊

lapushka
April 22nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
You mean actual tanning lotion on your scalp... Oh no, please don't do that. It is meant to be put on the body yes, but not your scalp. Besides, what makes you think it is going to grow your hair faster?

I'd test it on a tiny bit of the scalp, to see if you even tolerate it... if you are dead set on doing this.

I wouldn't go there, personally. But that's just me.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 22nd, 2017, 04:09 PM
It's meant to be used for the skin though, so is there a difference if it's on the scalp vs some other part of the body?

No. You would absorb it wherever it was on your body. But I have a feeling that scalps might be extra sensitive, as they have a high level of blood flow just under the surface. I mean that each hair follicle has its own blood supply, so you get a lot of blood flowing around your scalp area.

Aredhel
April 22nd, 2017, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't try that because scalp health is the most important after all. For me it is anyways. I learned that the hard way when I was trying to make my hair grow faster with the inversion method and using coconut oil. And using shampoo every day to wash that out. My scalp was very mad at me because it doesn't like heavy oils or sls shampoo's. It took months too calm things down and I had a BIG shed too. Just let your hair do it's own thing, it is not worth it. Well that is my two cents. :flower:
This is where I stand on any "hair growth miracle" products too.
Taking good care of your hair is important, but you can only do so much. I don't think there's anything out there that can drastically speed up hair growth if your hair is already healthy. Your hair grows at the pace it grows at... we must have patience. :)

neko_kawaii
April 22nd, 2017, 04:11 PM
There are tingle shampoos and conditioners. Look for one of those instead.

Syaoransbear
April 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM
I'm more interested in this from a scientific perspective. If blood flow does increase hair growth, there shouldn't be a reason why this wouldn't work.

From what I am reading the tingle aspect of these lotions is due to the vitamin Niacin simply causing a 'niacin flush' to the skin. What it might do to your hair probably has more to do with the other ingredients in the lotion, but those are usually skin nourishing so it shouldn't be terrible for hair.

akurah
April 22nd, 2017, 04:33 PM
If it's a tanning lotion, wouldn't it increase risk of sunburn? Sunburn on scalp is not a good idea.

mizukitty
April 22nd, 2017, 06:28 PM
The only reason I'd be nervous using it that way is because it wasn't formulated specifically for and tested on the scalp. It is skin safe, but will it cause hair loss? Leave residue on my scalp? Increase dandruff? Disrupt how much sebum my scalp produces?

You can always try it if you want, but I would advise a patch test in an inconspicuous area for at least 2 weeks...

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 22nd, 2017, 07:00 PM
My thing is: the skin on your body isn't the same as the skin on your face or scalp. It has a complete different pH and skin on the head is a lot thinner and a lot more sensitive. I wouldn't use something like that on the scalp, simply because that isn't what it's made for, so knowing results is inconclusive. You don't know what could happen and it's not worth the risk.

Your question is legit -- yes, blood flow is important when it comes to scalp health and hair growth, however its benefits come from being done naturally not with creams or potions.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 04:34 AM
I'm more interested in this from a scientific perspective. If blood flow does increase hair growth, there shouldn't be a reason why this wouldn't work.

From what I am reading the tingle aspect of these lotions is due to the vitamin Niacin simply causing a 'niacin flush' to the skin. What it might do to your hair probably has more to do with the other ingredients in the lotion, but those are usually skin nourishing so it shouldn't be terrible for hair.

If it would work, it would be marketed and out there already... Really, it would.

It's your head of hair, but I would be super careful in looking after it and pampering it right rather than exposing it to these kind of experiments. :flower: Not to mention, these tanning lotions are quite oily and nourishing. Can your scalp tolerate that?

I just have a feeling that we can't talk you out of it. :o

Syaoransbear
April 23rd, 2017, 04:54 PM
I just have a feeling that we can't talk you out of it. :o

I have no plans on actually doing it anytime soon. I'm testing out something else at the moment so I can't introduce another variable.

I just wanted to have a discussion about it. You could easily isolate the vitamin that causes the increased blood flow if the other ingredients in the lotion were a problem.

Also, my first test would be shaving my armpits and testing the lotion on one side so it's easier to monitor growth anyway.