PDA

View Full Version : Is there any non-damaging way to use heat?

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 06:31 AM
I recently cut my hair short due to a sauna damage fiasco. I love my new cut (which is a chin length bob), and I really like fixing it into the classic curled under style (think Agent Scully from the X Files). However, I haven't found a way to do this to my satisfaction. Rollers work great but they are uncomfortable to sleep in and I worry about them pulling on my scalp. Caruso rollers don't produce curls that last on my hair type (I've tried them for years, so I don't believe it to be a learning curve). I don't use heat on my hair, but I am considering it now. Is there a way to make it less damaging?

What if I were to set my hair in rollers, put on a satin or shower cap, and then blow dry over the cap on warm (not hot)? Would that be damaging? It's my understanding that damage from blow dryers is caused by evaporation of heat and very DRY heat. If you were to wear a cap and blow dry over that, how would that be any different than a warm summer days heat?

Any ideas or experience with using heat safely?

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I don't know for sure about "safely", but since I got my hair cut into a shoulder-length lob (which I love!), I use my electric curlers when I want bouncy curls. My reasoning is that they can't be too horrible because I can handle them with my fingers unlike the working surface of a curling iron. I also use a heat protection spray.

That's what I figure as well!! By electric curlers do you mean hot rollers or a curling iron?

ETA: oops I just reread your post so I know you didn't mean a curling iron. I am thinking of getting some hot rollers!

spidermom
April 20th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Yup - hot rollers. I start out with bouncy curls, and the next day I have smooth body.

Kellylee
April 20th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Try a blow dryer on low heat with a round brush. It won't be damage free, but will be less damaging then a flat iron or curling iron.

Anje
April 20th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Honestly, I think you need to get the hair fully dry before you take out the curlers if you want it to hold well. That might mean finishing without a shower cap.

That said, I'm pretty sure blowdryers are typically less damaging that curling irons and similar products that stick hot metal/ceramic (typically much hotter than water boils) directly against the hair.

Unzadi
April 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Spidermom, what sort of hot rollers do you use? Your bouncy curls are gorgeous.

I've used Caruso steam rollers in the past, when my hair was longer, (between shoulder and APL now) and would consider them again, though I'd need to replace the actual steamer. I think it died of old age since I used it last. Caruso rollers heat through steam, so hot metal is not touching the hair. It's more like a hot washcloth degree of heat. I would let the rollers completely cool before taking them out, and the curls held pretty well. Larger rollers might work to help bob length hair turn under on the ends.

spidermom
April 20th, 2017, 01:56 PM

I've used Caruso steam rollers in the past, when my hair was longer, (between shoulder and APL now) and would consider them again, though I'd need to replace the actual steamer. I think it died of old age since I used it last. Caruso rollers heat through steam, so hot metal is not touching the hair. It's more like a hot washcloth degree of heat. I would let the rollers completely cool before taking them out, and the curls held pretty well. Larger rollers might work to help bob length hair turn under on the ends.

Conair Ion Shine. The surface of each is velvet.

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Honestly, I think you need to get the hair fully dry before you take out the curlers if you want it to hold well. That might mean finishing without a shower cap.

That said, I'm pretty sure blowdryers are typically less damaging that curling irons and similar products that stick hot metal/ceramic (typically much hotter than water boils) directly against the hair.

I usually set my rollers with my hair just lightly misted with water, so my theory was that I might be able to just kind of blast them with warm air for a bit to hopefully set them and make them last longer, not necessarily to dry them. Who knows if that would even work, though:shrug:

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 02:17 PM

I wish I could love my Caruso rollers (especially since I accidentally threw away the box and can no longer return them, hahashudder:) but they just don't hold a curl for me!! By the time it's all said and done, I spend around 40 minutes setting them and waiting to come out with curls that last for a few hours only. My hair is very fine, slippery, and thick. I think they just don't work for my hair :(

On the other hand, when I sleep in rollers, my curls last for around 2 days (although they relax on the second day, they are still there).

akurah
April 20th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I would use rollers, a generous amount of some kind of mousse on your wet hair, and I would use a blowdryer on low heat. If you can get your paws on a hood style dryer that has a low heat setting, AND you have the time to actually do it, I'd use that over a hand dryer.

You might be able to do something with a thing like this, but I don't know if it's something that can give the type of curls you are looking for?
http://www.savvycurls.com/

ETA: Actually instead of a hood dryer, if your hand dryer has a low heat setting, this might do, it's a hood dryer attachment for hair dryers.
http://a.co/eJvs3qI

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I would use rollers, a generous amount of some kind of mousse on your wet hair, and I would use a blowdryer on low heat. If you can get your paws on a hood style dryer that has a low heat setting, AND you have the time to actually do it, I'd use that over a hand dryer.

You might be able to do something with a thing like this, but I don't know if it's something that can give the type of curls you are looking for?

ETA: Actually instead of a hood dryer, if your hand dryer has a low heat setting, this might do, it's a hood dryer attachment for hair dryers.
http://a.co/eJvs3qI

Ah, that bonnet attachment is so cool!! I guess it would stand to reason that it would be safer than using a blow dry directly, because it's a more indirect type of heat. If I can find a hair dryer with a heat setting of 80-90 degrees F, I can't imagine it would be much worse than sitting in the sun on a hot summer day. But what do I know!

And that headband contraption looks very cool!! I don't think my hair is long enough for it, sadly!

akurah
April 20th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Ah, that bonnet attachment is so cool!! I guess it would stand to reason that it would be safer than using a blow dry directly, because it's a more indirect type of heat. If I can find a hair dryer with a heat setting of 80-90 degrees F, I can't imagine it would be much worse than sitting in the sun on a hot summer day. But what do I know!

And that headband contraption looks very cool!! I don't think my hair is long enough for it, sadly!

Trivia:
https://www.masterappliance.com/blog/tool-tips-miscellaneous/12-10-31/heat-gun-vs-hair-dryer-heat-tool-throw-down
apparently hair dryers don't hit much hotter than 131 degrees. still damaging, but not as hot as I would have thought without having looked

You might be able to measure hair dryer temperature by using a meat thermometer, then taking your hair dryer, setting to low, and blowing across the temperature measuring part. It won't be super accurate, but it would probably be reasonably close to the temperature it's hitting your hair at, esp. if you hold the thermometer the distance from the dryer as you hold the dryer from your hair.

Unzadi
April 20th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I wish I could love my Caruso rollers (especially since I accidentally threw away the box and can no longer return them, hahashudder:) but they just don't hold a curl for me!! By the time it's all said and done, I spend around 40 minutes setting them and waiting to come out with curls that last for a few hours only. My hair is very fine, slippery, and thick. I think they just don't work for my hair :(

On the other hand, when I sleep in rollers, my curls last for around 2 days (although they relax on the second day, they are still there).

Oh blah, that stinks, to go through all that and have the curls fall out. What sort of rollers do you sleep in, if I might ask?

Spidermom, I will look into the Ion Shine rollers. Velvet surface sounds super gentle and not damaging.

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Trivia:
https://www.masterappliance.com/blog/tool-tips-miscellaneous/12-10-31/heat-gun-vs-hair-dryer-heat-tool-throw-down
apparently hair dryers don't hit much hotter than 131 degrees. still damaging, but not as hot as I would have thought without having looked

You might be able to measure hair dryer temperature by using a meat thermometer, then taking your hair dryer, setting to low, and blowing across the temperature measuring part. It won't be super accurate, but it would probably be reasonably close to the temperature it's hitting your hair at, esp. if you hold the thermometer the distance from the dryer as you hold the dryer from your hair.

Interesting!! That surprises me too. And to think that the sauna that fried my hair got up to 230 degrees F..... It's no wonder it ruined my hair!!:agape:

Very good idea!! I am going to try that I think. If I decide to keep my hair short, I probably won't worry about the heat use as much. But I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to grow it out, so I'm erring on the side of caution:)

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Oh blah, that stinks, to go through all that and have the curls fall out. What sort of rollers do you sleep in, if I might ask?

Spidermom, I will look into the Ion Shine rollers. Velvet surface sounds super gentle and not damaging.

Ugh, it does stink!! I usually use sponge rollers or pillow rollers. Both are reasonably comfortable, but traction alopecia terrifies me so I don't like to sleep with things putting weight in my scalpshudder:

And those rollers do sound nice. They sound like the ones my mom used on my hair when I was younger. I remember them feeling nice and leaving pretty bouncy curls!!!

Unzadi
April 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Ugh, it does stink!! I usually use sponge rollers or pillow rollers. Both are reasonably comfortable, but traction alopecia terrifies me so I don't like to sleep with things putting weight in my scalpshudder:

I've used sponge rollers in the past, and liked the result. May have to look into them again, though I share your trepidation over traction alopecia.

diamond_storm
April 20th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Okay update!! Today I went and exchanged my Caruso rollers (they let me do it even with no box--yay!!:joy:) for a new hair dryer and a bonnet attachment!! The hair dryer is awesome and I'm kind of in love. It's an ionic dryer with an LCD display that shows the temperature!! The low heat setting stays at around 89 degrees F. It gets hotter where I live outside in the summer so I feel like that shouldn't do much harm.

It's called the InfinitiPro by Conair. Here's the link, in case anyone is interested: https://www.conair.com/c/1c2j14/ac-motor-lcd-styler/756

The bonnet I got is by Hairflair: https://www.amazon.com/Hair-Flair-Improved-Softhood-Attachment/dp/B00VTI24GK

I'm really excited to try them out!!

Unzadi
April 20th, 2017, 07:55 PM
diamond_storm, that bonnet attachment looks fun. I have never heard of a blow dryer with LCD display, but could be very useful in monitoring temperature. I will be looking forward to hearing your impressions of both. Yay that you were able to return the Carusos, too.

spidermom
April 20th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I have a bonnet dryer, too. It takes too long.

akurah
April 20th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Okay update!! Today I went and exchanged my Caruso rollers (they let me do it even with no box--yay!!:joy:) for a new hair dryer and a bonnet attachment!! The hair dryer is awesome and I'm kind of in love. It's an ionic dryer with an LCD display that shows the temperature!! The low heat setting stays at around 89 degrees F. It gets hotter where I live outside in the summer so I feel like that shouldn't do much harm.

It's called the InfinitiPro by Conair. Here's the link, in case anyone is interested: https://www.conair.com/c/1c2j14/ac-motor-lcd-styler/756

The bonnet I got is by Hairflair: https://www.amazon.com/Hair-Flair-Improved-Softhood-Attachment/dp/B00VTI24GK

I'm really excited to try them out!!

:agape: i need that hair dryer

rouxlala
April 25th, 2017, 08:39 PM

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE? Has anyone tried this? I have 2c/3a, but I'd like beachy waves sometimes... that looks perfect!

lapushka
April 26th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Why not use a roller-brush thingie. Hot air brush, rather. Babyliss do one. It looks like this. It's what we used on my chin length hair.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/417%2BNgkFYSL.jpg

KellieKay
April 26th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I would use a heat protection spray. Tresseme makes a good one.