PDA

View Full Version : Aveeno oil!

Ponymad21
April 18th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Has anyone used aveeno shower oil on their hair before?

i use a lot of aveeno products because of my sensitive skin and I can't use any conditioners on my hair, so today, after I shampooed my hair 4 times (i know how bad that is but I need to get dye out before tomorrow), I put loads of aveeno on it, let it soak, shampooed it, and dried it. It's made my hair the softest it's ever been!

Siv
April 18th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I've never tried it, Aveeno is pretty difficult to get a hold of over here (I've only really found it on one site, except Amazon which has ridiculous shipping rates). Still, I just wanted to say that it's pretty cool that it works wonders for your hair as well! I love a good hair hack ;)

Out of curiosity, why can't you use conditioners?

Nymphe
April 18th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Which one? What are the ingredients?

Ponymad21
April 19th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I've never tried it, Aveeno is pretty difficult to get a hold of over here (I've only really found it on one site, except Amazon which has ridiculous shipping rates). Still, I just wanted to say that it's pretty cool that it works wonders for your hair as well! I love a good hair hack ;)

Out of curiosity, why can't you use conditioners?

I don't know why I can't use conditioners but they make my scalp and skin burn, most shampoos do the same I have to use baby shampoo for sensitive skin

Siv
April 19th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I don't know why I can't use conditioners but they make my scalp and skin burn, most shampoos do the same I have to use baby shampoo for sensitive skin

Ouch that doesn't sound fun :( just a word of caution then, the Aveeno oil seems to have liquid paraffin (mineral oil) in it, which clings to your hair about as much as silicones in conditioners, and it may cause build up on your hair if you don't use shampoos with strong surfactants in it - which baby shampoo typically do not have. But perhaps yours does :)

ghanima
April 20th, 2017, 05:00 AM
I used Aveeno products when I was a child! I LOVE their smell!
Mineral oil is water soluble, and as far as I know it's not too difficult to wash away. Also, it's a very thin oil. Not all hair like it, but it's safe to use.

What about using conditioners without touching the scalp? like from ears down

wendyg
April 20th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Ponymad21: you can actually use Aveeno bars to wash your hair. I've done it for decades. Very convenient for traveling, too. :)

wg

Siv
April 20th, 2017, 09:40 AM
@ghanima: I'm fairly sure mineral oil is water insoluble (http://library.njucm.edu.cn/yaodian/ep/EP5.0/16_monographs/monographs_l-p/Paraffin,%20white%20soft.pdf), though I do agree it's safe to use - as it, it has wonderful conditioning properties for both hair and skin! As long as you use surfactants to wash it off, so that they don't cause build up :) By the way, your profile pic is so serene, I love it!

ghanima
April 20th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks! I like to think of trees as the hair (or fur) of earth...
Of course it's not soluble in water, what was I thinking? it's still really easy to remove and I've never heard of it giving problems of build-up. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298)'s a thread about it.

Siv
April 20th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks! I like to think of trees as the hair (or fur) of earth...
Of course it's not soluble in water, what was I thinking? it's still really easy to remove and I've never heard of it giving problems of build-up. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298)'s a thread about it.

Thanks for the tip!! :D

mizukitty
April 20th, 2017, 02:07 PM
I'm really loving mineral oil lately as well. It can't compete with any other vegetable oil or leave in I have for locking in moisture. My hair takes much longer to dry when I use it (like a modified ROO? I mix some into my conditioner), but it's worth it. Stays supple for a long time. Especially my quite damaged face framing pieces, which normally dry pretty much instantly.