PDA

View Full Version : Hairs with black roots crinkly, and easily pulled out...?

Ingrid
April 18th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Hello everyone! I'm back after a hiatus (nothing particularly wrong, just busy).

Recently I've been experiencing this issue - I have long, more or less straight-ish, thick dark ash blonde hair (can look brown in certain lights). But I have these weird, darker-than-usual crinkly hairs that are easily pulled out, and I noticed that they have black roots as opposed to the normal white root. Does anyone have experience with this, or have an idea of what may be causing this? It's not an "occasional" hair, there seems to be quite of few of these, and all of them are around the same length (seem to be around a year's worth of growth but who knows).

For reference I have been hypothyroid in the past but it's been normal for over a year. I also have been anemic but have had normal iron levels (both haemoglobin and ferritin) for over a year. I still take iron supplements.

Would appreciate any help, or commiseration!

MidnightMoon
April 18th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Maybe it's just how your hair is supposed to be, and now that you've got your health issues under control you're starting to see new growth, specifically those hairs, along with your regular ones? Having different colours and textures in your hair is normal. There's a thread where they call it pubes ha ha, its just a funny term to describe those awkward dark coarse hairs.

Ingrid
April 18th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Maybe it's just how your hair is supposed to be, and now that you've got your health issues under control you're starting to see new growth, specifically those hairs, along with your regular ones? Having different colours and textures in your hair is normal. There's a thread where they call it pubes ha ha, its just a funny term to describe those awkward dark coarse hairs.

Hmm, good point but doubt it. I've had those random "pube-like" (haha) black ones before, but these are different. My hair was never like this before the health issues either, and they fall out too easily compared to normal hair. Thanks for responding though!!

EDIT: Also I should mention I eat a balanced diet (plus no junk food), and exercise regularly, am at a normal weight and am lean...

MidnightMoon
April 18th, 2017, 05:31 AM
Well, that's interesting :p
How is the rest of your hair behaving, though? Is it the same, or are there more of these black ones and less "normal" hair?

Ingrid
April 18th, 2017, 05:36 AM
There's definitely more "normal" hairs (at this stage, at least shudder: ). No scalp issues either. There's some random thin light ones as usual too. But there's quite a few of these weird ones of mostly around 17cm length and shorter. There are some long ones with are really crinkly at the very ends but normal at the top but this is probably due to the fact that I'm growing out dye damage.

MidnightMoon
April 18th, 2017, 05:46 AM
There's definitely more "normal" hairs (at this stage, at least shudder: ). No scalp issues either. There's some random thin light ones as usual too. But there's quite a few of these weird ones of mostly around 17cm length and shorter. There are some long ones with are really crinkly at the very ends but normal at the top but this is probably due to the fact that I'm growing out dye damage.

I can't give any professional or personal opinion as I haven't gone through the same health issues, but if the rest of it seems fine, then I'd just guess it has to do with your body recovering. Maybe you are supposed to get those funky hairs and you just didn't because of the deficiencies?
I get my strangest hairs on my crown, too, though. They're shorter, feel drier and way less smooth than the rest of my hairs. Because of this uneven shape and dryness they appear to be more fragile than the rest, too.

Ingrid
April 18th, 2017, 06:01 AM
I can't give any professional or personal opinion as I haven't gone through the same health issues, but if the rest of it seems fine, then I'd just guess it has to do with your body recovering. Maybe you are supposed to get those funky hairs and you just didn't because of the deficiencies?
I get my strangest hairs on my crown, too, though. They're shorter, feel drier and way less smooth than the rest of my hairs. Because of this uneven shape and dryness they appear to be more fragile than the rest, too.

Hehe, I'm pretty sure if I went to my doctor and explained the situation, he'd be like "hair is hair, what's your problem" :neutral:

But yeah, before I had the health issues, I didn't have these hairs so... seems unlikely that they would just appear now that I'm healthy again :shrug:

MidnightMoon
April 18th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Hahah, yeah, I bet. Doctors :p
Anyway, I'm glad your hair is mostly back to normal! And hope someone here has something more useful to say about it than me haha.

lapushka
April 18th, 2017, 07:38 AM
It's perfectly normal to have hairs of different textures. Maybe you just didn't pay so much attention before. :)

For reference I have been hypothyroid in the past but it's been normal for over a year. I also have been anemic but have had normal iron levels (both haemoglobin and ferritin) for over a year. I still take iron supplements.

I don't think it has much to do with those issues. It is normal for *everybody*.

unheardletters
April 18th, 2017, 07:45 AM
I have dark hairs with black root bulbs too. They started in my mid-twenties. Now those hairs are my grey hairs.

Ingrid
April 18th, 2017, 05:18 PM
It's perfectly normal to have hairs of different textures. Maybe you just didn't pay so much attention before. :)

I don't think it has much to do with those issues. It is normal for *everybody*.

Thanks Lapushka. I'll try to embrace the random hairs :D And keep an eye for any changes.

I have dark hairs with black root bulbs too. They started in my mid-twenties. Now those hairs are my grey hairs.

Oo, that would be awesome. I love grey hair. Unfortunately it doesn't run in my family, but we'll see! Also doesn't grey hair usually have a white root bulb?

Kellylee
April 18th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I have those too! They are very strange.

Ingrid
April 18th, 2017, 09:36 PM
I have those too! They are very strange.

Thanks for responding, Kellylee! Good to know I'm not alone :D