PDA

View Full Version : best headphones for sleeping?

moss
April 17th, 2017, 09:05 PM
I like to watch netflix or listen to audiobooks on my phone when i'm falling asleep, and i have to wear headphones to do so. I'm not 100% happy with the sleep headphones i have now--they're a headband style, and even flipped inside out so that the cord is on the outside, i feel like the cord can get caught in my hair. i normally sleep with my hair in a high loose bun on top of my head, so it doesn't lose curl or get tangled. These are the sleep headphones i'm using now https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008BN75I8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

there was one other thread about headphones on lhf, specifically headphones for medical transcriptionists, where they recommended making a sheath for the parts of the headphones that snag hair. i wonder if that would work for the cord? i could make a cover for it out of silky ribbon

realistically, wireless headphones aren't going to be a great solution for me because i don't want to have to remember to connect to the charger every day.

Are there headphones that other people like to sleep in that don't pull the hair or cause tangles?

Stormynights
April 17th, 2017, 09:23 PM
I didn't like the sleep phones either. I just use plain little ear buds and only wear one at a time. I don't like laying on them when I sleep on my side so I just switch from one ear to the other.

Jo Ann
April 17th, 2017, 10:41 PM
I use a cheap set of headphones that fit over the ear:

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KPH7-Lightweight-Portable-Headphone/dp/B006T9ZKAQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492486478&sr=1-8&keywords=koss+headphones

I've been doing this for about five years now, and don't have any real problems--unless I'm restless while I'm sleeping, and find the headphones have slipped off. I've slept with them on while my hair is down, braided or bunned--never had the cord tangle in my hair :magic:

nekosan
April 17th, 2017, 11:57 PM
The ones I have right now are "bedphones":
https://www.amazon.com/Bedphones-Gen-Ear-Sleep-Headphones/dp/B017GLFGUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492491168&sr=8-1&keywords=bedphones
I tend to yank them off and shove them under my pillow instead of sleeping all night with them. So far, they've lasted okay. I've only had them for two months, and I sleep with my hair in two braids tucked into a silk sleep cap.

lithostoic
April 18th, 2017, 06:39 AM
I imagine those ones that go over the ear Bluetooth style would work best

Anje
April 18th, 2017, 07:26 AM
I typically sleep in earbuds, because the larger over-the-ear ones hurt my ears to lie on. As for hair, I'd advocate trying a satin or silk sleep bonnet. With the bonnet, I never had issues with the cord tangling my hair, nor with generally getting wrapped in my hair. (I switched to it after an incident or two of waking with my braid wrapped around my neck. Best to prevent my hair's murderous impulses!)

Chromis
April 18th, 2017, 09:05 AM
There are also little speakers meant to go under your pillow. That sounds much more hair friendly!

moss
April 18th, 2017, 10:36 AM
I didn't like the sleep phones either. I just use plain little ear buds and only wear one at a time. I don't like laying on them when I sleep on my side so I just switch from one ear to the other.

i used to do that but the earbuds kept breaking on me so i gave up on them. do you have a kind that you like?

moss
April 18th, 2017, 10:37 AM
The ones I have right now are "bedphones":
https://www.amazon.com/Bedphones-Gen-Ear-Sleep-Headphones/dp/B017GLFGUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492491168&sr=8-1&keywords=bedphones
I tend to yank them off and shove them under my pillow instead of sleeping all night with them. So far, they've lasted okay. I've only had them for two months, and I sleep with my hair in two braids tucked into a silk sleep cap. the bedphones have really good reviews, with the around the ear style, they don't get into your hair?

moss
April 18th, 2017, 10:38 AM
I imagine those ones that go over the ear Bluetooth style would work best any of the wireless ones would probably be great, but it's a hassle to remember to charge them. we have wireless for my daughter--she fidgets with the cords on the wired headphones and breaks the cords within a few days, but we're constantly putting them back on the charger for her.

moss
April 18th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I typically sleep in earbuds, because the larger over-the-ear ones hurt my ears to lie on. As for hair, I'd advocate trying a satin or silk sleep bonnet. With the bonnet, I never had issues with the cord tangling my hair, nor with generally getting wrapped in my hair. (I switched to it after an incident or two of waking with my braid wrapped around my neck. Best to prevent my hair's murderous impulses!)
i guess with a sleep bonnet, any kind of headphone would work! i can just see my hubby's face though, LOL. Yikes that your braids tried to get you in your sleep! the dangers of long hair :p

moss
April 18th, 2017, 10:41 AM
There are also little speakers meant to go under your pillow. That sounds much more hair friendly!

that would be the best, but not so great for my husband unfortunately

moss
April 18th, 2017, 10:45 AM
I use a cheap set of headphones that fit over the ear:

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KPH7-Lightweight-Portable-Headphone/dp/B006T9ZKAQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492486478&sr=1-8&keywords=koss+headphones

I've been doing this for about five years now, and don't have any real problems--unless I'm restless while I'm sleeping, and find the headphones have slipped off. I've slept with them on while my hair is down, braided or bunned--never had the cord tangle in my hair :magic:

i used to sleep with big sennheisers until the foam all squished down. they were awesome. i'm a side sleeper, though, so other styles are probably better for me now. i've tried other noise cancelling, over the head, headphones, and they're great at blocking out noise, but not so comfy for sleeping. i pull them off as i'm falling asleep

neko_kawaii
April 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM
I use the cheapest ear buds I can find. I probably kill a pair ever six months or less, but at $6-10 a pair, that is worth it to get me to sleep consistently. I use a silk cap. The most difficulty I have is in wrapping myself up in the cord!

nekosan
April 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM
the bedphones have really good reviews, with the around the ear style, they don't get into your hair?

Nope, not at all! The wire you see is completely bendable, so you can shape it to whatever is comfy around your ear (and keep it as far from your hair as you want). I've been quite pleased with them so far. Before, i was just using standard earbuds, but those got anoying to lie on after a while.

languagenut
April 18th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I use the cheapest ear buds I can find. I probably kill a pair ever six months or less, but at $6-10 a pair, that is worth it to get me to sleep consistently. I use a silk cap. The most difficulty I have is in wrapping myself up in the cord!

That's the cheapest you can find? I get them at Dollar Tree; they usually break sometime between a week and a few months, but they sure are cheap!

Stormynights
April 18th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I get mine from Dollar General. If they break it is no big loss. I need to check Dollar Tree. I have some from Bose but I never sleep in those.

rmani
April 18th, 2017, 01:58 PM
When I work night shift, I find a place to nap for an hour. I use ear buds because I set my alarm and don't want to wake anyone with the added benefit of noise cancelling. While pricey, I really like the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. I've had my first pair for 3 years now and use them as regular headphones (working out, on the bus/train, walking) as well as before or actually sleeping. No issues with hair or function.

neko_kawaii
April 18th, 2017, 02:40 PM
That's the cheapest you can find? I get them at Dollar Tree; they usually break sometime between a week and a few months, but they sure are cheap!

I'll have to check a Dollar store then. Thanks.

PixieP
April 18th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Nope, not at all! The wire you see is completely bendable, so you can shape it to whatever is comfy around your ear (and keep it as far from your hair as you want). I've been quite pleased with them so far. Before, i was just using standard earbuds, but those got anoying to lie on after a while.

Have you ever worn them with glasses or sunglasses? They look amazing, like they would solve all my headphone issues! (I have tiiiiny ears, so all earbuds are too big and hurts, and a big head, so most normal headphones end up feeling like they're squashing my ears). But I wear glasses so I'm unsure how those would work together.

nekosan
April 18th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Have you ever worn them with glasses or sunglasses? They look amazing, like they would solve all my headphone issues! (I have tiiiiny ears, so all earbuds are too big and hurts, and a big head, so most normal headphones end up feeling like they're squashing my ears). But I wear glasses so I'm unsure how those would work together.

I don't think i've tried that, no. I can test it out tonight! (Read: 4-6 hours from right now.)

PixieP
April 18th, 2017, 06:25 PM
That would be great! I'm getting paid tomorrow so I wanna order them ASAP so I get them before I am traveling in May :D

nekosan
April 18th, 2017, 08:28 PM
They work totally fine with my glasses! The wires are thin and bendy and don't interfere. I can even take my glasses on and off without disturbing them, which I honestly wasn't expecting. (I tried them with glasses with over-the-glasses sunglasses at the same time too, with the same good results.).

I have a pair of the Bose noise cancelling in the ear headphones, too - bought them at the same time as the bedphones. The Bose have amazing fidelity and excellent noise cancellation, but I found them uncomfortable to lie on. They live in my purse now, so I can use them at work or at home. (For what it's worth, the Bose come with three different sizes of ear tips.)

PixieP
April 19th, 2017, 07:50 AM
They work totally fine with my glasses! The wires are thin and bendy and don't interfere. I can even take my glasses on and off without disturbing them, which I honestly wasn't expecting. (I tried them with glasses with over-the-glasses sunglasses at the same time too, with the same good results.).

I have a pair of the Bose noise cancelling in the ear headphones, too - bought them at the same time as the bedphones. The Bose have amazing fidelity and excellent noise cancellation, but I found them uncomfortable to lie on. They live in my purse now, so I can use them at work or at home. (For what it's worth, the Bose come with three different sizes of ear tips.)

Thank you so much for this :D I will be ordering now, I'm really excited ^_^