PDA

View Full Version : Can guys use Hair skin and nails, biotin?

guywithlonghair
April 17th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Im growing my hair out and biotin and hair skin and nails have popped up a lot on the internet. What exactly do they do? Do they make your hair grow faster? Also are men allowed to use it? Like does it have anything to do with hormones like estrogen, because I'm a guy and I really don't want estrogen lol. Would you recommend either of these products to a guy.

PS: also mane and tail shampoo. Does that work in making your hair grow faster?

Thanks everyone! I hope you have a great day and happy growing lol:cool:

lapushka
April 17th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Nothing makes your hair grow faster. Trust me.

If you are deficient in anything, sure, you'll see a difference, but if not, you'll likely not notice a thing.

Especially biotin can be problematic (acne, etc.). You may want to read this:
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.be/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html

I myself take a multivitamin daily and I would recommend that over hair-skin-nails. I take it mostly because it is required (medications I take long-term deplete my body of certain vitamins) not so much because of the hair.

And it has *nothing* to do with hormones. :)

Aredhel
April 17th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Biotin made me break out and did nothing else. Like lapushka said, it's completely pointless to take biotin unless you're deficient in it, which most people are not. If you were actually deficient in it, hair loss would probably be the least of your worries.

No shampoo can make your hair grow "faster", but you can certainly find good products that agree with your hair to help it grow out healthy and strong. :) That may or may not be Mane n Tail for you. Personally, Mane N Tail did nothing for me... tried it because people kept telling me it would do wonders for my hair and make it amazing, buuuut I was not impressed. :shrug: YMMV though, give it a try and see if it works for you!

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 17th, 2017, 05:32 PM
I take biotin daily. No break outs here. Results can be subjective. What gives one person acne, may not give acne to another as in my case.
Biotin and hair, skin and nail pills are not gendered though lol as long as you're a human with hair, skin, and probably nails, there should be no problems.
Im like 95% sure if they had any sort of hormone in them, you would not be able to purchase them online or OTC
- you would need some sort of prescription from a doctor. Which you don't. Lol. At least in the US.

Garnetgem
April 17th, 2017, 05:48 PM
I take a multi vitamin and minerals known as of course hair skin and nails not noticed fast growth but new growth is healthy..a few years ago i had some hair loss and my doctor put me on biotin and it did grow back but unsure if biotin made the difference or what but he did say i was low on it so maybe that's why it helped or why i suffered hair loss to start with..

i have no experience of Mane and Tail but i cannot see a shampoo helping to speed up growth..some say caffeine shampoo helps but beware i have read other members on here say it made them shed so i would steer clear of it in case..

but yes of course guys can take Hair skin and nails or biotin.

welcome by the way! :)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
April 17th, 2017, 11:57 PM
I have taken biotin, iron, multivitamins as well as B supplements and vitamin D. All for health reasons last year. As I was a vegan for over 20 years and very depleted. Now I just take a multivitamin when I remember. My hair grew at normal rate but much more healthier. So I cannot say that these will cause your hair faster.

You can have a look at this thread maybe it might help.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141868
Good luck and enjoy your hair growing experience.

ETA: There will be some months when you shall experience a stall and some months when you experience a growth spurt.
For December and end of January this year my measurements were the same no change. Then in April when I measured my hair had grown just a little over 4cm.

KeenAbby
April 18th, 2017, 05:02 AM
I use biotin supplement along with my usual multivitamins and it works well for me.

Anje
April 18th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Yeah, no hormones should be present in those hair-skin-nails vitamins. Or in prenatals, for that matter. I would advise you to do some research before delving into any herbal supplements, though I'm not certain how much most of them have good data for how they function in vivo. (Honestly haven't delved into it that much myself. It's pretty far down the list of stuff I ought to research, and I'm overwhelmed by the stuff immediately relevant to my degree right now.)

That said, I definitely have had problems with acne when I've tried biotin, even at relatively low doses. I personally don't supplement.

As for the Mane and Tail products, I think they can be useful for helping hair grow if your hair is damaged. They tend to be high in protein; since damaged hair typically has had protein slough away from it, applying products with hydrolyzed protein that can temporarily bond to the hair shaft can help strengthen it and reduce breakage. On the other hand, not all hair "likes" protein. On my hair, it would build up rapidly and result in overly stiff, rough, grabby hair that tangled badly. So it tends to be fairly individual. In any case, most shampoos and conditioners aren't going to make your hair come out of your head any faster (though products with ketoconazole as an anti-dandruff ingredient might be an exception). The right products for your hair will help keep it in good condition so the ends don't break off, though. That means that you retain what length comes out of your head, and your non-breaking hair gets long faster than your breaking hair would.

Hay_jules
April 18th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I take a hair skin and nails multi vitamin (it's by natures bounty from Walmart). I had been taking an additional biotin and was getting acne but since cutting back to just the one i have no acne. I do have a lot of new growth sprouting in the past few months (have been taking hair skin and nails since jan). I had noticed slight thinning in my scalp the past year and the new growth i have is filling that in. It works if you actually need it, but I don't see the length gains going any faster than average.