PDA

View Full Version : Grow out gross layers or just cut to shoulder length??

Leighash
April 16th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Recently got very caught up in S&Ding and mindlessly cut these ugly long layers into the sides of my hair (around my face), I've had 2 weeks off school and so I haven't used heat on my hair, I'm cutting down on that anyways now thanks to hair wrapping and rollers, and I've only washed it once in the past 12 days which is actually quite grim in retrospect but I've had it in a headband and I haven't gone out because my hair just looks terrible anyways with the layers ugh!!
I always go off topic, sorry.
So I go back to school next Monday, and I'm sick of hiding the layers in a half up, half down style, so mum said on Wednesday she will take me to the salon and get it cut from APL to shoulder length :cry:
im really not sure whether or not to grow them out or cut them off, which actually would get most of my damage off too but I don't want to have to start all over :(
I have started to try the inversion method as of today, using my natural oils as an oil because I really don't want to wash it EVERYDAY for the next week and like I said I usually only wash it if I know I'm going somewhere really. I don't expect much from it but I'm hoping it'll give me even the slightest bit of growth especially if I'm going to be cutting it.

sigh, I wish I would've listened to my mum for the past 4 1/2 years....

ZeppHead
April 16th, 2017, 08:17 AM
I am in the same boat. I would let them grow unless the rest of your hair is damaged. If they fit up into a bun or hair stick just keep it up. If you cut healthy hair you may end up regretting that too...I also have layers that start at shoulder and the rest is all. I could cut back to even up or let it grow and microtrim til they are even. I choose the latter. Unless you are comfortable going back to shoulder I say let them grow as is.

lapushka
April 16th, 2017, 08:25 AM
So I go back to school next Monday, and I'm sick of hiding the layers in a half up, half down style, so mum said on Wednesday she will take me to the salon and get it cut from APL to shoulder length :cry:
im really not sure whether or not to grow them out or cut them off, which actually would get most of my damage off too but I don't want to have to start all over :(

You don't have to get it cut. :) I'm sure the layers aren't too bad, and shoulder to APL is an awkward length to get past, so I think it would be better to just leave it at APL, and slowly microtrim. Check out the microtrimming thread & Feye's self-trimming method (Google is your friend).

spidermom
April 16th, 2017, 04:23 PM
O.k., I cut to collarbone length intentionally, but I think shoulder to collarbone length is great! You can wear it down as much as you want because it is less likely to get in the way and annoy you, but it's still possible to put it up if you want to. I'm keeping this length!

Mlarmour
April 16th, 2017, 05:56 PM
I'd personally just maintain the longest length with regular trims and let the layers catch up. This is what I'm currently doing at the moment after my hairdresser recommended it. She did it with her little girl when she was a toddler so her hair looked thick all over and not straggly. I'm growing out my regrowth - I lost half of my hair in a very short space of time. I didn't want to cut it short because that would have left me with a pixie again.
I can't do the inverting part of the inversion method because it makes me feel sick no matter how slowly I invert or sit back up. I do find the scalp massages have helped. I massage every day with a scalp massager tool I bought online, I only use oil when I'm doing my castor oil and coconut oil mix the night before I wash.

Siri
April 16th, 2017, 06:51 PM
I would let them grow. I've had to do that with bangs more then once and they eventually have caught up with the rest of my hair. There was an annoying period where the bangs/layers were too short to be with the rest of my hair but too long to look like anything but unkempt. Really though that period didn't last long, just have to be patient and not given in to cutting.

Jo Ann
April 16th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I'm with everyone else, Leighash:

Let it grow--the layers probably aren't as bad as you think!
Microtrim--that way, you'll get rid of the damage and still gain length.
Be patient!

Deborah
April 16th, 2017, 10:39 PM
sigh, I wish I would've listened to my mum for the past 4 1/2 years....

Then listen to her now. Get the cut to shoulder length.

You say it would get rid of most of your damaged hair. Good. APL to shoulders is not too many inches to grow back pretty quickly. You will not be starting all over again, just getting rid of layers you don't like and damage you don't like. You would end up with much nicer shape and a much nicer hemline to your hair.

So there's my :twocents:.

Kake
April 17th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Have you had shoulder length hair before? I see you have thick hair which might be big at SL.
But if it was me with my hair, I would get the cut. For the next 6 months you'll have nice hair while it grows back to APL. You'll still be able to put it up, wear it down etc. If you don't cut it, in 6 months you'll have a longer version of the hair you don't like now. And you'll have had to deal with it for that time.

Mrstran
April 17th, 2017, 07:31 AM
My opinion, let it grow. It can't be nearly as bad as my haircut last October. :tmi: awful!
Now six months later I'm pretty content. Like others have said, keep trimming to catch up if anything. It's not worth losing major length. In the long run, I think you'll be happy if you don't cut.

The Maple Leaf
April 17th, 2017, 09:53 AM
This is just my opinion - I don't know you and how you feel about your hair, so big disclaimer, I am only talking about my preferences, which may not be your preferences. I don't like layered hair. Shoulder-length hair that's solid and one length looks much better to me than very long hair with different lengths. Therefore, I would have it cut to get rid of the layers.

On the other hand, the question is whether you can trust the hairdresser you'll be going to to do exactly what you tell her to. If you're not completely sure you can trust the hairdresser to do what you want (which as I understand, means cutting off the layers and nothing but the layers, in order to make it one length and keep all the length that is one length). If you're not sure you can trust the stylist to do that, then maybe I would wait until your hair is longer before I cut off the layers.

Just my two cents, based on what I would "like" to see done in the given case. My suggestion my not work for you.

unheardletters
April 17th, 2017, 10:03 AM
I'm growing out a pixie so I have layers just above shoulder length now. I'm growing them out until I get to tailbone length, then I'll either maintain TBL until they layers are gone, or I'll cut at that point. I have thick wavy hair and shoulder length hair looks horrific on me.

moss
April 17th, 2017, 10:50 AM
it's hard to tell without seeing your hair. like others have said, it's probably not as bad as you think. also, hairdressers are notorious for taking off extra length, so be very specific about where you want it cut!!

this is a fantastic blog post about why microtrimming works faster than a big chop to get an even hemline in your hair http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

guywithlonghair
April 17th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Keep growing the layers out because eventually it'll get there :)