PDA

View Full Version : Estimating terminal length based on the amount of taper

lucid
April 14th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Is it possible to estimate terminal length based on the amount of taper one has (not including cases where there has been major shedding that has caused unnatural amount of taper)?

My measurements:
- Pony: 2.4'':
- 8 '' down: 2''
- 16'' down: 1.5''

In that case my terminal length would be about 40 inches down, which is somewhere between mid thigh and knee on me. And that doesn't seem that unlikely?

What is your guys measurements? It would be really interesting to know how much taper is common on people? Especially those who think they are closing in on terminal length or already has reached terminal length.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/ioana2adelina/terminallength_zpsa3a61f48.jpg

Source: http://adelinahair.blogspot.no/2013/01/terminal-length-which-hair-is-shiniest.html

lapushka
April 14th, 2017, 11:12 AM
It could very well keep tapering too, without reaching 0... Just a thought.

lucid
April 14th, 2017, 12:42 PM
This method implies that the tapering rate is about constant, and consequently the circumference will approach 0 at some point. For it to never reach 0, the rate of tapering has to slow down and eventually stop, and I don't think that is very common? As far as I know, most people notice more tapering closer to terminal length? If that is the case, tapering rate will increase as the hair grows longer, and the terminal length will be shorter than for the case of constant tapering rate.

I'm not at all claiming that this method gives a good estimate of terminal length though, I'm just curious to whether it has some value or not :)

spidermom
April 14th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Have fun calculating where terminal length is likely to occur, but hair is weird. It can surprise you. I recall seeing a woman years ago who was wearing a high ponytail. Her hair was very thin, with the last few hairs ending somewhere just below her knee. I don't think anybody would have predicted this length given how thin her hair was to start with and how few longest hairs there were.

Plus I had a roommate with a terminal length between APL and BSL. Her hair didn't taper significantly; it just came to a full stop at that length. I was associated with her for at least 8 years. I think LHC would be in agreement that her hair care was reasonable, but it wouldn't grow any longer. She didn't often get it cut, either, and the ends didn't look to be in bad shape (I would know; I braided her hair often). I am guessing that the hairs on her head simply didn't have a long active growth cycle, maybe around 3-4 years.

Deborah
April 14th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I don't think you can predict terminal. It seems to vary from person to person, and does not always show up in the same way. In addition most of us don't know what our terminal would be because we don't allow our hair to grow long enough for our terminal length to show up. But most of all, I don't think most of us care where our terminal length would be. I know I don't.

Hairkay
April 14th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I do have a taper when I put my hair in a plait/braid but this predictive model doesn't seem likely to work with my hair. The taper can vary daily according to shrinkage and how I plait/braid my hair. It is extremely hard to detect a taper on my loose hair. That would be best seen if my hair is soaking wet for a few seconds before the curls take back control from the heavy water.

Anje
April 14th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Taper can be grown out, at least to a point. I've definitely gotten hair to thicken while maintaining (though it didn't as much as I had hoped). That would throw this off.

Cg
April 14th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I'll never hit "terminal" as defined in this forum because I keep my hemline blunt.

But to enter the spirit of this thread, my hair has no taper and is 2-3 inches from TBL.

Kellylee
April 14th, 2017, 05:45 PM
I did this and it was right on my hair. Granted my hair is just barely waist length so I can only measure down one ten inch section. My hair doesn't have any layers, I bet would be different for someone who did.

Borgessa
April 14th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Plus I had a roommate with a terminal length between APL and BSL. Her hair didn't taper significantly; it just came to a full stop at that length. I was associated with her for at least 8 years. I think LHC would be in agreement that her hair care was reasonable, but it wouldn't grow any longer. She didn't often get it cut, either, and the ends didn't look to be in bad shape (I would know; I braided her hair often). I am guessing that the hairs on her head simply didn't have a long active growth cycle, maybe around 3-4 years.

This just made me feel depressed lol... my hair been stunted for yrs. I hope this isn't the case for me too :)

Tosca
April 14th, 2017, 10:47 PM
I think this is one of those things that only works for some people. For example, gossamer (a member here) has just past floor length, and her hair barely tapers until approximately the last 30cm/1 foot above the hem, where it starts tapering sharply. Another example is my hair, which has gone through at least two large sheds in the last 3 or 4 years. Currently I have very little hair at my hem, but I can see at least one demarcation line from shedding about 10 inches/25cm above my hem where it gets thicker.

In addition, making a high ponytail instead of a low one creates a disturbance in the normal lengths of hair when it is loose. This is most easily seen on thick blunt hems.

nekosan
April 15th, 2017, 10:30 PM
My taper:
Base of ponytail: 2 1/2"
3" down: 2 3/8"
6" down: 1 7/8"
9" down: 1 1/2"
12" down: 1 1/4"
15" down: 1 1/8"
18" down: 7/8"
21" down: 1/2"
24" down: 1/4"
27" down: 1/16"
30" down: 1 hair

Aunty Miki
April 15th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Sounds interesting, but my hair is cut blunt straight across and doesn't taper unless in a pony tail, and not very much then. But, that's only because the sides are pulled up short into the tail. I am curious, now, where terminal is on me.

draysmir
April 15th, 2017, 11:10 PM
I think this is an interesting thread :) I do think that maintaining length can let your taper travel down your length more though. Here's my taper, if anyone if interested: base: 3"
Halfway down my length: 2"
2" from ends: 7/8"
very ends of length: 1/4"

my hair is WL, around 29" I believe (can never get an accurate measurement), with long layers. I'm guessing the drastic taper at the ends is from my long layers not reaching the very ends, but probably are included in the second last measurement. I was surprised to find that I still have 2/3rds of my thickness halfway down my length! I wonder what the average taper is for my thickness... I'm hoping I'll be able to grow to classic length before reaching my terminal, but I don't think I will depend on anything else determining my terminal length besides physically reaching it, just because hair can be so unpredictable sometimes :)
(sorry if formatting is weird, I'm on mobile)

FairHairedDane
April 16th, 2017, 01:38 AM
I did this experiment two year ago. (http://fairhaireddane.blogspot.dk/2015/02/mathematical-estimation-of-terminal.html)

I put the measurements into a diagram, and my length and circumference almost fit 100% with the circumference getting the same % smaller per 10 cm.
However since i had really bad ends, they screwed up the perfect line xD (that was to be expected at that time, since i didn't do regular trims to even up)

And since Excel is so fantastic to make the math for you, I got that my terminal length would be 86 cm from my nape, and in the 31 cm from the hairline and i get a terminal length at 117 cm.

And as a few have already mentioned, this math isn't fail proof. I'm now at 123 cm :p
So this technic is to be taken with a grain of salt.

But even though it's not an exact science I still find it fun, and I would like to do this again, just to see if my circumference has gotten larger or what have happen since my hair is now longer that my calculated terminal length :pinktongue: