PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long for a guy?

guywithlonghair
April 12th, 2017, 05:17 PM
I'm a senior in hs and I'm starting to grow my hair out. As of right now my goal is shoulder length. But I think I may like it and continue to grow longer once I get there to maybe mid back, waist length or maybe even longer than that eventually (like maybe butt or classic). My question is what is the longest that looks good on a younger guy? I plan on keeping it healthy and getting periodic trims. But I know I want it pretty long. So what do you think is the longest, most acceptable length for a guy?

Rowdy
April 12th, 2017, 05:19 PM
However long he wants it :)

hayheadsbird
April 12th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Have to agree, as long as he wants it

ChloeDharma
April 12th, 2017, 05:29 PM

This.

Don't feel that you need to follow other people's rules about appearance, it's your hair and your life so do what feels good for YOU not other people.

Siri
April 12th, 2017, 05:42 PM
For a guy or gal it's too long when you feel it is too long for your lifestyle.

Beatnik Guy
April 12th, 2017, 06:11 PM
So what do you think is the longest, most acceptable length for a guy?

Sorry if this seems harsh, but if you're worried about what other people might think, you should give up right now. :twocents:

AZDesertRose
April 12th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Longer than he wants to fool with. :D

moon_witch
April 12th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Everyone has to decide that for themselves but overall I would say as long as you are happy with it, there's no such thing as too long! :o

EdG
April 12th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Once your hair gets long enough for a bun, no-one will be able to tell how long it really is. ;)
Ed

Rowanoake
April 12th, 2017, 06:25 PM
whatever is a comfortable length for you! Do you have any styles you like to wear? My husband likes his hair long, for example, and he loves it when i braid it for him. I do a simple style that he calls his "Viking braids" because between his hair beard, he looks pretty battle-ready!

Aredhel
April 12th, 2017, 06:35 PM
No such thing as too long. Grow it however long you want it to be. My DH has his hair between BSL and MBL, (he usually trims to BSL but it grows back to MBL in a couple months) but he's had it almost to his waist before. He looks great with his hair at those lengths. If he wanted to grow it to the floor though, I'd still find him equally handsome.

I've mentioned it in your intro thread already, but seriously, please don't base your hair goals on whether or not women in general will like it, you'll be much happier if you do it for yourself. Don't let the fear that women might not like it deter you from those goals. I'd also advise going into it accepting that not everyone will like it... and that it's totally okay.

Rebel Rebel
April 12th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Agreeing with everyone that you should grow it to whatever length you feel good about. My boyfriend keeps his at shoulder length because it's what he feels best at and I love it too. It would look amazing at say MBL though. Just not his style he says.

gthlvrmx
April 12th, 2017, 07:30 PM
For guys, however long the individual wants their hair to be. They have free will. Respect that. I am a male and I am aiming for terminal (growing my hair to as long as it can grow) so it depends on the individual.

-arachne-
April 12th, 2017, 07:35 PM
I love long hair on men, and I have to echo everyone else in that I can't call to mind a length that is "too long". It's really whatever you are comfortable with. However, my ONE caveat is that I like it so, so much more when guys have healthy long hair vs straggly, unbrushed, unconditioned long hair. It seems like you already plan to take care of it (and really, consider what that actually means because the longer it gets the more care it takes for some hair types) so more power to you!

lithostoic
April 12th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I thought this about something else, lol. If you're looking for an answer that implies hair can be "too long" aesthetically, you've come to the wrong place. I fear the general public thinks anything longer than a 4 on the electric razor is too long.

mizukitty
April 12th, 2017, 08:34 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d8/5a/2f/d85a2fa3bb9551bc23607c9f63f35f33.jpg

Enough said.

FennFire911
April 12th, 2017, 08:57 PM
A woman either likes it or she doesn't. You have to feel good about you. YOU decide when it's too long.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 12th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Yup - you get to decide what is long enough for you - it's no-one else's business. Be prepared for criticism and rude remarks though. Have an answer ready for when someone says you need a haircut.

guywithlonghair
April 12th, 2017, 10:02 PM
whatever is a comfortable length for you! Do you have any styles you like to wear? My husband likes his hair long, for example, and he loves it when i braid it for him. I do a simple style that he calls his "Viking braids" because between his hair beard, he looks pretty battle-ready!

I don't know what styles yet. But I was thinking like buns ponytails and braids. I think a long braid would look pretty cool! How long is your husbands hair?

rowie
April 12th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Only you can answer your own question. Growing hair is very personal here and if you are going to base it on what people like than this journey may not be for you. The old LHC motto is "We are not here to decorate your world." If you can live with this motto than welcome, there are plenty of resources to help you reach whatever personal goal you may have once you have a starting goal.

As for classic length, you've got ways to go. What I wish someone would of told me when I was in your shoes is "do you see yourself wearing your hair up all the time at this length and beyond?" Speaking from personal experience I no longer wear my hair down now that I'm heading towards knee length. For safety and also from keeping strangers from grabbing and touching my hair without permission if it's ever worn down....but there are so many more challenges at this length and beyond. I find anything longer than classic is a beast of its own completely different,like it becomes a different lifestyle you'll know once you're in this territory, if you decide your goal will be this length and beyond. Happy growing!

guywithlonghair
April 12th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Only you can answer your own question. Growing hair is very personal here and if you are going to base it on what people like than this journey may not be for you. The old LHC motto is "We are not here to decorate your world." If you can live with this motto than welcome, there are plenty of resources to help you reach whatever personal goal you may have once you have a starting goal.

As for classic length, you've got ways to go. What I wish someone would of told me when I was in your shoes is "do you see yourself wearing your hair up all the time at this length and beyond?" Speaking from personal experience I no longer wear my hair down now that I'm heading towards knee length. For safety and also from keeping strangers from grabbing and touching my hair without permission if it's ever worn down....but there are so many more challenges at this length and beyond. I find anything longer than classic is a beast of its own completely different,like it becomes a different lifestyle you'll know once you're in this territory, if you decide your goal will be this length and beyond. Happy growing!

Thank you! And wow! Much respect for almost by knee length. How long have you been growing?

truepeacenik
April 12th, 2017, 10:54 PM
We have some men with amazing locks well past waist. At least one with calf length, (Mr Decker, please pick up the white courtesy phone) and several who put me to shame.

Too long is when you decide it's not worth it, however you decide that.

goneJackal
April 12th, 2017, 11:14 PM
How long is too long for a guy?
Only said guy can answer!

http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blackhair.gif

Pearly~91
April 12th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I don't think that "too long for a guy" is a thing. Whatever you feel is too long is too long for you and that's all that matters.

If you are just starting your growing journey then your opinions will definitely change as your hair grows. It's a long journey after all. You wont have to worry about what you think about hair longer than waist length for what, 3 years at least?

zashin66
April 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM
:o imma lookin and a likin.

lapushka
April 13th, 2017, 12:50 AM
I don't think there is such a thing as too long, even for guys, and even though my personal preference is short. But, I mean look at the lovely gentlemen with super long hair that we have on the site! You'll get to know them in no-time. I think for me it's either short-short or super-long. :lol: ;) Don't we all abhor those awkward stages. ;) :p

And a "personal view" should not influence you in any way.

So when going on this journey, just keep your own goals in mind and don't listen to what girls say, not in the least. :)

PrincessAralin
April 13th, 2017, 05:45 AM
No such thing as too long for any gender in my opinion. Whatever feels good to you is right for you.

_flora_
April 13th, 2017, 05:45 AM
You will have time to figure it out. It won't be long in a couple of days, you will have to wait years. Besides, what you think it's long/short today, probably won't be the same in the future.

I once met a guy with hip length and he pulled it off. For sure it's not for everyone, and the process of growing it that long is in itself a very selective one.

MidnightMoon
April 13th, 2017, 06:46 AM
As long as it will grow. i've had boyfriends/friends with ~hip length and it looked great, I really liked it. I'm not a fan of man buns, but that's just personal preference. You can have hair as long as you want. Be prepared for some unsolicited opinions, specially from family, because even I as a woman get them, but ultimately it's your head and hair.

Mrstran
April 13th, 2017, 08:05 AM
I'd go by how long you like your hair, not others. I prefer mine long and even if when it grows long, if others don't like it, too bad. I do ;)

pili
April 13th, 2017, 08:22 AM
There is no such thing. My 10yo DS is growing his hair. He wants it at classic and is already at APL. I'll tell you what I tell him, it's your hair and you wear it how you want. Forget everyone else, their opinions about your body are none of your business.

_fred_
April 13th, 2017, 10:32 AM
The longest that looks good on younger guys is as long as they want it to be - same as with older guys and everyone else too. You're about the same age as my partner was when he started to grow out his hair. He now has gorgeous long hair, past his waist, and he wants to grow it longer. He has a colleague at work whose naturally red hair is thigh length and it's amazing, looks so great. Most of our male friends also have super long hair, and have had since their late teens - it's always looked brilliant on them. They love having long hair, and it shows. We also have male friends with shoulder length hair (and shaved heads, and more mainstream haircuts), which can look really great too.

What will look best for you will depend on your personal tastes, and how you like to have your hair. I hope you have fun finding out which works best for you. Good luck!

Dixie Derelict
April 13th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Life long lover of long hair on EVERYBODY!!
Babies need wigs, bald people need hair transplants! LOL

Aredhel
April 13th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I've always felt that if hair (on all genders) wasn't meant to be very long then surely it wouldn't keep on growing! :p This is how I decided that my hair should be as long as it it wants to get. :)

Kirby-oh
April 13th, 2017, 09:29 PM
You've got time, however far you want to go. I am still considering how long I am going to keep going, it's different at every length, you'll have to see it for yourself. Once you bun it, no one has any idea anymore, anyway.

kitana97
April 13th, 2017, 10:06 PM
My boyfriend (he's 28 ) has his hair at TBL (pic below). He keeps it in a low bun all the time except for shows - then he takes it down so he can headbang. I love his long majestic mane. I know that in high school you can care about what other people think but word of advice is to not care at all. Grow your hair as long as you want it and if a few girls/guys don't like it then so what - they're not for you.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/kitana971/chris-hair_zpsqmgvjkpd.jpg

lapushka
April 14th, 2017, 06:29 AM
My boyfriend (he's 28 ) has his hair at TBL (pic below). He keeps it in a low bun all the time except for shows - then he takes it down so he can headbang. I love his long majestic mane. I know that in high school you can care about what other people think but word of advice is to not care at all. Grow your hair as long as you want it and if a few girls/guys don't like it then so what - they're not for you.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/kitana971/chris-hair_zpsqmgvjkpd.jpg

That is cool, and kind of looks like my hair in the middle to end of the week, when my waves have loosened a bit. It's gorgeous. You guys might convert me yet. :D :thumbsup:

ZeppHead
April 14th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I don't feel hair length is predetermined by gender. I have seen men have waist length hair that is so beautiful I was jealous. So, what ever length you desire and if you can get there with it being healthy go for it.

AZDesertRose
April 14th, 2017, 02:23 PM
On reflection, I realized that my earlier comment in this thread ("Longer than he wants to fool with" or something along those lines) might have come off as flippant or rude, and that isn't what I meant. What I meant was that nobody is on this earth to decorate anyone's world but their own (and gender doesn't change that), so they might as well grow their hair to whatever length pleases them and doesn't require more effort than they feel like making. Some of us reach a length that is longer than we want to fool with (for whatever reason, whether it's effort or too many obnoxious comments from strangers or what-have-you), some reach terminal and wish it would get longer, and those are equally valid ways to feel about one's hair.

So, upon consideration, wear your hair however you please, and anyone who isn't you doesn't really get a say unless you just want them to have a say. :flower:

Alun
April 14th, 2017, 03:55 PM
For me personally, too long would be if it was too long to ever wear loose, but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). My hair is not likely to ever grow that long.

pandabarrier
April 14th, 2017, 04:13 PM
The longest hair I've ever seen belonged to men. One tall guy (at least 6 feet) with floor length dreadlocks. Another one was an Asian older guy with tailbone salt and pepper hair in a v-cut (the ends looked a bit fried).
Grow whatever length you want and can, if it doesn't look good you can trim!

Todd
April 14th, 2017, 06:59 PM
I haven't read all the posts but I agree with most I've read. Grow it however long you like. You might find some point where "enough is enough!" and go no further. Where will that be? Only you can answer that.

Mine is BCL but I'd like to thicken the ends at that length and then grow longer. I would be satisfied with classic! But even now, cutting it shorter is out of the question.

trolleypup
April 17th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Whatever length you want to deal with...and depending on where you are, how much social crap you are willing to put up with.

For me personally, too long would be if it was too long to ever wear loose, but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). My hair is not likely to ever grow that long.
So far, haven't gotten there yet.

AZDesertRose
June 4th, 2017, 04:37 AM
Reviving this thread to drop a link to a series of photos of men with long hair. (Warning: There are a couple of f-bombs in the text, because the text of the post [between the photos] is talking about what nonsense it is that long hair is "feminine" or "for women only" or "not manly," and the writer of the post got a little heated. :lol: So just be aware you may encounter a little rough language if you follow the link, but you will also encounter some fantastic photos of handsome men with lovely hair!)

http://actionables.tumblr.com/post/125539313444

Serimel
June 4th, 2017, 04:54 AM
Reviving this thread to drop a link to a series of photos of men with long hair. (Warning: There are a couple of f-bombs in the text, because the text of the post [between the photos] is talking about what nonsense it is that long hair is "feminine" or "for women only" or "not manly," and the writer of the post got a little heated. :lol: So just be aware you may encounter a little rough language if you follow the link, but you will also encounter some fantastic photos of handsome men with lovely hair!)

http://actionables.tumblr.com/post/125539313444

Thank you for sharing, those photos are GOLD!

Ondine11
June 4th, 2017, 05:14 AM
I'm a senior in hs and I'm starting to grow my hair out. As of right now my goal is shoulder length. But I think I may like it and continue to grow longer once I get there to maybe mid back, waist length or maybe even longer than that eventually (like maybe butt or classic). My question is what is the longest that looks good on a younger guy? I plan on keeping it healthy and getting periodic trims. But I know I want it pretty long. So what do you think is the longest, most acceptable length for a guy?

Acceptable by whom? It is YOUR hair. IF you keep it clean, & out of the way of hazards during work or sports, then, whatever length you choose is the right one for you. Women are wearing crew cuts, pixies & other short styles. You should be free to make your own decision.

esfand
June 4th, 2017, 06:16 AM
ITS NEVER TOO LONG

https://media.giphy.com/media/tH2oOpjPuN6I8/giphy.gif

kurainenkettu
June 4th, 2017, 06:56 AM
I'd like to think that this isn't a gender related issue (but in some aspects it probably is). I think that long hair looks great regardless of gender, but I understand that this might be an issue that is treated differently in different places. Especially when you're a teenager a lot of adults feel like it's their prerogative to criticize your looks. At the same time I think younger guys can "get away with" a lot more than older gents when it comes to looks. But honestly, life is too short to worry about other people's opinions about your looks.

My hair is classic length (and I'm a woman), and I get some attention for it. Whether you like it or not, people will notice very long hair, and the attention can be awkward (at least if you're an introvert like me) even if it's positive. People will want to touch your hair and they won't always ask for permission. But also, try not to think that much about what others think. If someone doesn't like it, it's their problem, not yours. Though I have to say that long hair can be a nuisance. It gets everywhere and most of the time I don't want to wear it down because it's so unpractical. But it's also gorgeous, I mean, just look at those pictures in that tumblr link!

So go for it! If it gets too annoyingly unpractical, it's always easy to get rid of. :)

yahirwaO.o
June 4th, 2017, 10:03 PM
ITS NEVER TOO LONG

https://media.giphy.com/media/tH2oOpjPuN6I8/giphy.gif

Finn got it just right! :P

Ok I've had 2 times in my life classic lenght hair and that was the longest my hair gets.

Im a guy so you can have floor lenght hair and it should be nice and manly if u feel like so!

Personally im not the most macho manly man nor I feel girly, feel like a netro human being with an artistic feeling going who happens to enjoy healthy locks. Hair lenght doesn´t reflect my masculanity if that I actually feel more fashion boy with mid lenght than super long lengh When it was waist and on I felt like an outsider creature from the woods and heck I love that feeling!!!!

WhyMyHair
June 4th, 2017, 10:18 PM
You could grow it as long as you want. When it starts feeling uncomfortable or you feel you are doing so much work for your hair, then maybe its time to dial it down a little a bit.

Glitch
June 5th, 2017, 12:13 AM
It all comes down to preference :) I'd go with whatever you're comfortable with, and that way it'll come natural to you. I've seen plenty of males with longer hairstyles in pop culture, such as Gerard Way and The Weeknd. They look fabulous with it!

Techmouse
June 10th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Wear it as long as you want, just like the rest of us. Just a bit of advice that I gave my siblings on a similar issue, though: make sure you read the fine print in work and school dress codes. I have run across a few that did not allow guys to have hair longer than the top of their shirt collar.

truepeacenik
June 11th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Wear it as long as you want, just like the rest of us. Just a bit of advice that I gave my siblings on a similar issue, though: make sure you read the fine print in work and school dress codes. I have run across a few that did not allow guys to have hair longer than the top of their shirt collar.

I've often wondered if legally hair that is longer when down can be worn up and satisfy the no hair touching the collar requirement.

Kandy
June 12th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Well, since you said acceptable... probably your current goal, shoulder length. However, that's just if you want to follow what our current society thinks about guys' hair.
Even longer hair looks great on guys, and honestly just do what you think looks awesome!

mistythebandit
June 24th, 2017, 04:40 PM
As long as you like! My husband had pretty long hair when we met, it was so cute <3