PDA

View Full Version : Implemented LHC suggestions, reporting with results

SeRe
April 9th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Hi All,

Further to my last post where I asked for suggestions in my routine, I received the advice of many wonderful members here. I have implemented the following and would like to report the results:

1. Used a sulphate free shampoo - Nature's gate tea tree and sea buckthorn calming shampoo
2. Used a conditioner for the first time after 3+ years - Nature's gate tea tree and sea buckthorn calming conditioner (ears down only)

The shampoo was able to remove the oil from my hair (haven't tried castor oil yet). I needed three-fourth the quantity that I use with a sulphate shampoo, so this is good news! The shampoo gives a cool feeling to my scalp too.

I feel my hair has gone from a 2a to almost a 1b after the shampoo+conditioner routine. I still use a leave in (John Freida frizz ease) but reduced the quantity by half.

Some questions for you:

1. My scalp does get oily faster on day 2. Will this get better as my scalp adapts?
2. Why is my hair more straight? Can this be the result of the conditioner?
3. I failed miserably at all updos and have lost the motivation to try them. Hence, I am still wearing my hair up. Please help!
4. Rayesuela - I have yet to buy the EOs. I'm looking for them. Haven't had a chance to look into the water soluble actives either. It's on my to-do list this week.

Thank you,
SeRe

Reyesuela
April 9th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Avoid NOW products for EOs. The peppermint EO I got from them was very adulterated.

Reyesuela
April 9th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Here's a good list for sources: http://www.usingeossafely.com/essential-oil-brands-leas-opinion/

SeRe
April 9th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Here's a good list for sources: http://www.usingeossafely.com/essential-oil-brands-leas-opinion/

Thank you Reyesuela. If you were to pick 3 EOs to add to my ayurvedic oil mix, which would they be?

Reyesuela
April 9th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Rosemary and peppermint because they have the best research--hinoki cypress because of its novel mechanism of action.

SeRe
April 9th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Rosemary and peppermint because they have the best research--hinoki cypress because of its novel mechanism of action.

Thank you. I will order them this week.

Borgessa
April 9th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Your scalp should get use to less washing I think, the frequent washing can in some cases cause more oil, and the scalp goes into overdrive to compensate for what you keep washing away, if that makes any sense? Give it time and see how it goes. Ultimately no one thing is great for every head and some folks can't stretch washes. Its no big deal if you have to wash more frequently you have to do what is right for your hair, and not whats right for someone elses. I think if your a young hormonal teenager, that's a big ask, but when we get more mature like myself we naturally - well I naturally produce less oil. I only wash once a week, only because i feel i have too, it still looks clean and fresh, but i would feel like an unkempt dirty person if i let it go longer lol.

lapushka
April 10th, 2017, 03:26 AM
The fact that your scalp now gets oilier faster can be due to not sulfate washing. I wouldn't strip that from the routine entirely, but like once every 2 weeks or so I would sulfate wash at the end of the week. Just to clarify once in a while, which is what everybody on here needs once in a while.

I have no idea why your hair is straighter.

There's a ton of videos on YT, especially look at torrinpaige's channel. She's doing 30 days of hairstyles right now, with a new style every day.

pamrlyn
April 10th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Hi SeRe

I have found that Frizz-Eaze makes my hair straighter, or any conditioner with silicones. not that silicones are a bad thing, or that your hair would be the same. If you have used it in the past with no effect on your waves, then it is probably fine.

to maximize your wave, you might want to go to the curly girl method of drying your hair. you comb it when it's full of conditioner. rinse. then disturbing your hair as little as possible wrap a towel, or T-shirt around it, to blot up excess water. take the wrapper off after a while, then apply your leave in, and plop your hair. I do a reverse plop, that is, lean my head over, and cup my palm around a group of ends and push them up to my scalp. do this all around your head until your hair is well aerated and you can see the waves. let it air dry, just shaking & plopping occasionally to aerate.

if you google " curly girl method " - you can get a lot better instructions that the above :)

SeRe
April 10th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Your scalp should get use to less washing I think, the frequent washing can in some cases cause more oil, and the scalp goes into overdrive to compensate for what you keep washing away, if that makes any sense? Give it time and see how it goes. Ultimately no one thing is great for every head and some folks can't stretch washes. Its no big deal if you have to wash more frequently you have to do what is right for your hair, and not whats right for someone elses. I think if your a young hormonal teenager, that's a big ask, but when we get more mature like myself we naturally - well I naturally produce less oil. I only wash once a week, only because i feel i have too, it still looks clean and fresh, but i would feel like an unkempt dirty person if i let it go longer lol.

Thank you for your response. I am 27 years old with normal skin, an oily scalp and normal hair. I was once in 2 days, stretch to 3 on weekends or if I am at home. I have noticed lesser hair fall when I wash more frequently.

I am a little bothered by the oily scalp on the 2nd day but I can manage I suppose. You are right, I will watch to see how it gets as the month progresses on my new regimen.

SeRe
April 10th, 2017, 01:35 PM
The fact that your scalp now gets oilier faster can be due to not sulfate washing. I wouldn't strip that from the routine entirely, but like once every 2 weeks or so I would sulfate wash at the end of the week. Just to clarify once in a while, which is what everybody on here needs once in a while.

I have no idea why your hair is straighter.

There's a ton of videos on YT, especially look at torrinpaige's channel. She's doing 30 days of hairstyles right now, with a new style every day.

That's good to know. Maybe my scalp will adjust as the time progresses.

My hair is different. I was born with ringlets, had 2b hair through my teenage, and it suddenly went 2a/1c last year. No idea what is going on. LOL.

Yes, I need to try again. Hopefully I can do atleast one updo by the end of the month.

SeRe
April 10th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Hi SeRe

I have found that Frizz-Eaze makes my hair straighter, or any conditioner with silicones. not that silicones are a bad thing, or that your hair would be the same. If you have used it in the past with no effect on your waves, then it is probably fine.

to maximize your wave, you might want to go to the curly girl method of drying your hair. you comb it when it's full of conditioner. rinse. then disturbing your hair as little as possible wrap a towel, or T-shirt around it, to blot up excess water. take the wrapper off after a while, then apply your leave in, and plop your hair. I do a reverse plop, that is, lean my head over, and cup my palm around a group of ends and push them up to my scalp. do this all around your head until your hair is well aerated and you can see the waves. let it air dry, just shaking & plopping occasionally to aerate.

if you google " curly girl method " - you can get a lot better instructions that the above :)

Thank you for your response. I have tried curly girl when my hair was shorter and curlier (Born with ringlets, 2b hair through my teenage years, 2a/1c since last year) and it didn't work. It just made my scalp greasy (I guess it is the pushing to the scalp that gets the conditioner to touch it, causing greasiness). Since my hair is deciding to go straight on me, guess I will just deal with it. It looks pretty good so I'm not complaining :-)