PDA

View Full Version : Oiling Treatments for dry/damaged hair

nfraser
April 9th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Hey all,

I have dry/damaged hair due to going blonde/heat styling. I've cut down the heat styling and am now only updating my roots blonde. I'm wondering what oils you find work the best to bring moisture back into your hair. I've tried coconut oil for a long time, but haven't noticed much of a difference.

Also, I have fine hair, does that make a difference in what oil I should be using?

Thank you!! :D

~Natalie

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 9th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Oils do not bring moisture back into hair. Oils seal moisture in. You need to put in moisture by other means.
Which usually is showering and applying oils to damp hair. Coconut, EVOO, almond, jajoba, camellia oil and grapeseed are some favorites.

Reyesuela
April 9th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Coconut oil prevents damage from protein loss.

mizukitty
April 9th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Bleached hair would greatly benefit from some mild occasional protein treatments as well as moisture treatments. My fail safe is to mix 1:1 ratio of a deep conditioner and some oil (olive is really nice for softness, but I really like mineral oil as well at the moment) and leave it in for a while. Then shampoo and condition as usual.

But yeah, even though your initial thought may be moisture only, I really recommend the protein. The structure of bleached hair has more gaps/pits in the cuticle, protein treatments temporarily fill those in. Don't overdo the protein though, can cause roughness and dryness.

dansyl
April 9th, 2017, 07:46 PM
My hair has been bleached about 4 times and i used to blow dry and straighten after each wash. now.... the two main things that have helped me are pre poo oiling and kpak reconstructor. You may not want to use the kpak every time you wash if you try it because some people's hair doesn't like too much protein but mine loves it.... the more the better. I oil (coconut and castor oil) and let it sit for a few hours before I wash and then wash as usual. When i use the kpak I wash, rinse, kpak, rinse, conditioner, rinse.

reilly0167
April 9th, 2017, 08:04 PM
You can also try the rinse out oil method (roo).

nfraser
April 10th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Oils do not bring moisture back into hair. Oils seal moisture in. You need to put in moisture by other means.
Which usually is showering and applying oils to damp hair. Coconut, EVOO, almond, jajoba, camellia oil and grapeseed are some favorites.

Ok, that makes sense - thanks for the explanation!

nfraser
April 10th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Ok, that's a great idea to try. Is there a deep conditioner that you would recommend? I have the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor but my hair doesn't seem to like that one. I've been trying to find one with no auld ages/silicones.

nfraser
April 10th, 2017, 01:14 PM
My hair has been bleached about 4 times and i used to blow dry and straighten after each wash. now.... the two main things that have helped me are pre poo oiling and kpak reconstructor. You may not want to use the kpak every time you wash if you try it because some people's hair doesn't like too much protein but mine loves it.... the more the better. I oil (coconut and castor oil) and let it sit for a few hours before I wash and then wash as usual. When i use the kpak I wash, rinse, kpak, rinse, conditioner, rinse.

Ok, that's a great idea to try. Is there a deep conditioner that you would recommend? I have the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor but my hair doesn't seem to like that one. I've been trying to find one with no auld ages/silicones.

nfraser
April 10th, 2017, 01:16 PM

I've seen a few people mention "pre-poo oiling" how much and how king do you typically put it in for before shampooing?

I have that Joico deep conditioner and for some reason my hair doesn't seem to like it. Could it be too much protein possibly?

dansyl
April 11th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I've seen a few people mention "pre-poo oiling" how much and how king do you typically put it in for before shampooing?

I have that Joico deep conditioner and for some reason my hair doesn't seem to like it. Could it be too much protein possibly?

I massage some into my roots and then my length, focusing on the ends. I just put as much as i feel like saturates the hair. It doesn't need to be dripping with oil. It's possible your hair needs more moisture than protein. Some people have problems with using protein on their hair. I use products with silicones so I don't have one that I recommend over another.

Dark40
April 11th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I relax and color my hair, and it does benefit from oil treatments. Like, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Alma Dabur Indian Oil, Carrot Oil, Vitamin E Oil, and Olive Oil. I also do hot oil treatments from time to time as well. That definitely brings back moisture.