PDA

View Full Version : Does breakage ever stop completely?

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 9th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Or is it just something you have to deal with forever?
Even with amazing hair care and silicones and every other thing under the sun, I still every so often find bits and pieces falling off from my ends.
No its not like a snow storm of ends breaking off, its usually just 1 or 2 every few weeks or so, but I see an inch long end snap off every once in awhile still regardless of all the love and care I put into my hair.

Do you longer lengths still see breakage even after all these years?
Is small amounts of breakage just something that comes with the territory?
I mean, I am fine with it as long as I can still gain length. But I am wondering if I should worry or not.

Jo Ann
April 9th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Even with oiling and bunning, I still find split ends now and then. They're not the upside-down Christmas trees (when one has split ends that have split ends that have split ends) I used to have years ago, when I didn't take proper care of my hair, but they are fewer and less damaged.

Thank heaven for S&D!

Nini
April 9th, 2017, 04:50 PM
It's hair, it gets old. There's wear and tear. It's very normal.

lapushka
April 9th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I got breakage when I got white dots. After that: no more. You are struggling with them, and I know that and you will see some break off but most will hang on until you can grow your hair longer (it was that way for me, and I grew half a head of them out from shoulder to hip).

A while ago I had a few hairs randomly break off and I was in a right panic. The oil rinse came to my rescue back then.

Anje
April 9th, 2017, 05:08 PM
I'm not prone to breakage, but my ends do split and feather, usually in hairs well above my hemline. I think it does vary somewhat with hairtype (some people swear up and down that they don't get splits, for example), but for most of us, a certain amount of breakage is a reality once our hair gets old enough. I do notice it more on the finer hairs, while the more medium-textured ones seem to usually be more robust.

For me, moisture helps by keeping the hair slippery and supple. I really like humectant-rich treatments like SMTs which are then rinsed out. Other people find that other things are more useful for keeping their hair in top condition. Some need protein for strength and end up with hair that is limp or stretchy without at least occasional application of it, but it makes my hair tangly and wirey so I avoid it. Some people do best with plenty of oil applied. It's worth trying these and seeing what works best for you. It's also worth occasionally re-evaluating, because as damaged hair is replaced with hair that's always been really well-treated, its needs often change.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 9th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Even with oiling and bunning, I still find split ends now and then. They're not the upside-down Christmas trees (when one has split ends that have split ends that have split ends) I used to have years ago, when I didn't take proper care of my hair, but they are fewer and less damaged.

Thank heaven for S&D!

Thing is I don't get splits. Just breakage. Ends snap off and then thats it. But theres no splitting...

Reyesuela
April 9th, 2017, 06:09 PM
My hair doesn't break. Not in any way that's noticeable. It just falls out from the root. Hahahaha.

school of fish
April 9th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Nah, mine still breaks a little - it doesn't worry me though because the care I give my hair allows my growth to outrun my breakage :)

I have delicate strands - they'e very fine and individually don't have tremendous tensile strength, although collectively they're very resilient. Because individual strands are vulnerable, I expect a certain amount of attrition through breakage at this length. However, so long as the strands are well moisturized and all relatively the same length to provide protection for each other, I find the breakage remains well within an acceptable range for me :)

draysmir
April 9th, 2017, 07:31 PM
For my hairtype and length, I personally don't think it's possible to not have any damage. I don't think I saw any damage at all until almost BSL length, and that was very minor. Since MBL though, I have a moderate amount of white dots on my layers since I haven't technically trimmed them in two years, and some small splits. My length isn't as bad though. I think MBL is where my hair began to rub against chairs and get caught on my zipper from time to time, so that is probably also why my damage began at that length.

The last time I grew out my hair to WL, it became too damaged to grow. It was fairytaling and all of my thin ends were really damaged, so my growth would just get broken off. I think frequentish trims is beneficial for my hair type, and my hair is way less damaged this time around. So I don't think you can completely get rid of damage, but you can definitely combat it and have a lot less of it if you care for it better. :) If your hair is growing and the damage isn't too bad, I don't think you should worry.

dansyl
April 9th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I got breakage when I got white dots. After that: no more. You are struggling with them, and I know that and you will see some break off but most will hang on until you can grow your hair longer (it was that way for me, and I grew half a head of them out from shoulder to hip).

A while ago I had a few hairs randomly break off and I was in a right panic. The oil rinse came to my rescue back then.

this is also me. I used to S&D or trim but I realized since the damage was so far up they just split again quickly. I found it easier just to baby them and hang on to them.

Reyesuela
April 9th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Forgot the white dots. I used to get breakage with those!

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 10th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Nah, mine still breaks a little - it doesn't worry me though because the care I give my hair allows my growth to outrun my breakage :)

I have delicate strands - they'e very fine and individually don't have tremendous tensile strength, although collectively they're very resilient. Because individual strands are vulnerable, I expect a certain amount of attrition through breakage at this length. However, so long as the strands are well moisturized and all relatively the same length to provide protection for each other, I find the breakage remains well within an acceptable range for me :)

Ah yes. A bundle is stronger than individual hairs.
I guess breakage is normal then from how it sounds. As long as it's not extreme I guess it is a part of the territory of long hair because you can't keep every single hair away from everything 24/7. I find it incredibly impossible to protect every single strand fully. Like I get headaches and need to take breaks from buns, but when I braid or leave hair down I see an end snap off 70% of the time. I can't stop it, it's from manipulation and touching and rubbing most of the time too. And unless I bun every day all day, it never seems to stop but I can not physically do that. It's just a single strand or two, not 10-15 hairs snapping off in the course of an hour or so. But it happens and I cant seem to prevent it without hiding every single strand away 24/7. Which isn't really possible to do for me.
I can't wait til the 6 month challenge is over and I can do a nice 1" trim.
Frequent trims SO help. I saw absolutely no breakage when I was trimming monthly.
So I agree on that aspect.