PDA

View Full Version : You Should Change Shampoo Every 6 Months

Aunty Miki
April 9th, 2017, 11:41 AM
A longhair in the wild told me that. Is it true?

Decoy24601
April 9th, 2017, 11:47 AM
I've never heard of anything like that. It doesn't really matter what shampoo you use as long as it works for you, and clarifying every once in a while usually helps.

Hay_jules
April 9th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I've heard this before. I think it's from before clarifying became a thing. People thought/think the build-up of one brand could only be removed by switching to a different brand. That's the reasoning I heard behind it.

Carolyn
April 9th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I've heard this for years. Like since the 70s. I don't know if it's true for everyone but I have to say it's true for me. I never use the same shampoo or conditioner twice in a row. If I do I have lank, greasy hair as a result. If I swap products every single wash my hair is great. I clarify every now and then too. I would encourage anyone to try it and see if it works for you.

dansyl
April 9th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I've heard this before. I think it's from before clarifying became a thing. People thought/think the build-up of one brand could only be removed by switching to a different brand. That's the reasoning I heard behind it.

This!! ^^ :)

Groovy Granny
April 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I have never heard about nor done it.

My S&C is bought in 33oz bottles for better pricing through Amazon shops, and I use them year after year as long as they work.

My texture and moisture needs are what determines if/when I make a product change....and that is rarely.

It is only when my silver took over the past 2 years that I switched products up, because it is thirsty hair that now curls easily, and it needs occasional brightening/clarifying.

Aredhel
April 9th, 2017, 12:15 PM
I've never heard of this. The longest I've ever used the same shampoo was probably around 15 years, and it had no ill effects on my hair. :) I definitely wouldn't switch out a perfectly good shampoo for a new one if it's working for me.

Aunty Miki
April 9th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Thank you, everyone😙

Jo Ann
April 9th, 2017, 04:26 PM
I've heard of people doing this because of the climate they're in. I'm inclined to use a more moisturizing shampoo when it's cold outside, but only because my hair sometimes feels like straw when there's not as much humidity in the air, inside or out (central heat tends to remove moisture from the air, as I understand)!

But that's just me :p

Siri
April 10th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I've heard this for years. Like since the 70s. I don't know if it's true for everyone but I have to say it's true for me. I never use the same shampoo or conditioner twice in a row. If I do I have lank, greasy hair as a result. If I swap products every single wash my hair is great. I clarify every now and then too. I would encourage anyone to try it and see if it works for you.

I never use the same shampoo twice in a row either. I rotate them and use a different one every time I wash my hair. I used to have a favorite that I stuck to but noticed my hair felt heavy and greasy. After that I switched but found eventually using any shampoo every time had the same bad effect on my hair. Now I rotate them and don't have those problems.

ravenreed
April 10th, 2017, 02:45 AM
I think this is old advice, as others have said. If my hair is off, I just clarify and go back to my normal routine.

lapushka
April 10th, 2017, 03:08 AM

Yes I think that's the reasoning behind it. I think if you sulfate-wash with a silicone-free shampoo it hardly matters.

ExpectoPatronum
April 10th, 2017, 03:11 AM
I've kind of heard this. There was never any a length of time associated with it, but I remember a hair stylist telling me that it was important to switch products as your hair could get "used" to it and they'd stop working.

I know that isn't the case now :)

lapushka
April 10th, 2017, 03:31 AM
I think I am switching around shampoos about every week now, ever since I've been trying to use up products. If one is too mild, I will get flaking around my hairline and will have to wash with H&S or another anti-dandruff shampoo the other week. But it's not hurting otherwise. I mean in the sense of more or less build-up or some such. I also don't get the feeling it's hurting at all. In fact, I quite like it.

unheardletters
April 10th, 2017, 03:30 PM
I cannot use the same shampoo more than 3-4 washes. My hair looks terrible and my scalp gets very itchy if I use the same shampoo. It's a strange effect, and I've tried too many shampoos. Even a clarifying shampoo does this to me. I cannot even go back a previously used shampoo for a long time or i get bad results.

Chromis
April 10th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I've heard of this for ages and generally assume urban legend. Just like people say going out with wet hair will automatically give you a cold.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 10th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I cannot use the same shampoo more than 3-4 washes. My hair looks terrible and my scalp gets very itchy if I use the same shampoo. It's a strange effect, and I've tried too many shampoos. Even a clarifying shampoo does this to me. I cannot even go back a previously used shampoo for a long time or i get bad results.

I have about the same issue. I need to rotate my products. Using the same product for several washes never gives the same results each time.

Mlarmour
April 10th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I have two shampoos that I alternate very wash, well most of the time. One is for my itchy scalp so if it's getting really itchy I'll use that shampoo even if I'm meant to use the other one. Occasionally I'll try a different shampoo but I've found that this alternating really helps. I've been doing it for about 5 years with these two shampoos. Only time I don't really alternate is when I'm travelling abroad, then I'll just take the itchy scalp one because the bottle lasts forever. I'm still on the same bottle I took to Thailand in June - it was a new bottle then - and I wash my hair very frequently otherwise I get a super itchy scalp.

OhSuzi
April 11th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Although when I stay at a friends house & borrow their shampoo & conditioner - my hair feels amazing, and I'm like,
"I'm getting what they use!"
A few months later, halfway through the bottle, I'm like "eh the magic seems to have worn off. Their product wasn't so amazing after all"
Then I'll be stopping at someone else and be like now they're shampoo is amazing and the cycle repeats itself - I do wonder if there's some truth in changing it up?
Bit like how you cant grow the same crops in a field year after year, you gotta change it up 'cause you get different build ups & depletions of certain nutrients and ting?

Hailwidis
April 11th, 2017, 05:33 AM
I hope this is not a thing... my hair and scalp are difficult and it's hard enough to find one shampoo that agrees with both, let alone enough different shampoos to set up a rotation.

Fia
April 11th, 2017, 05:56 AM
My take on it. If it works for you to stay with one single s/c, do so. If your hair and scalp fares better with switching it up, do so. As with so much it's a YMMV. There's nothing saying you need to switch if things keep on working. Just as there's nothing to say you need to stay with your current s/c if you are happier with something else.

lapushka
April 11th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Hmm, maybe it's a mental thing. You getting tired of the same shampoo and conditioner after a while. Could be. :shrug:

I don't see my hair changing or behaving differently depending on the shampoo. I just use sulfates every time. So not in general. Where I *do* notice it, is if and when I get flakes or a flare-up of my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). That's when I'll know a shampoo is too mild, even if it has a sulfate formulation. It happens! The last shampoo I used before this Sunday was a Schwarzkopf "kiwi shine" shampoo (old bottle) and I noticed it was too mild, as at the end of the week, my two temple-regions were full of flakes and on my forehead line as well. So I switched to H&S shampoo and it cleared it right up.

Carolyn
April 11th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I've heard of this for ages and generally assume urban legend. Just like people say going out with wet hair will automatically give you a cold.I can attest to the fact that it's not an urban legend. But I'm old. Older than the term urban legend :gabigrin: I remember when I was in college buying a different shampoo and it made my hair "bouncin' and behavin' " for a while then I went back to being lank and greasy all the time. That was the early 70s. I recall reading advice in a magazine to swap out your shampoos. It had to have been in Seventeen, Glamour, or Mademoiselle. That was back before we had real conditioner. The was Breck Creme Rinse but that was it, AFAIK.

I say do what works for you but if you are plagued with lank hair, product swapping might be a simple solution.

Aunty Miki
April 11th, 2017, 09:31 AM
H&S quit working for me. Guess i used it too long. I'm trying to figure out what to do by trying different things. My stash is large enough to swap out S&C's.

Chromis
April 11th, 2017, 09:49 AM
I can attest to the fact that it's not an urban legend. But I'm old. Older than the term urban legend :gabigrin: I remember when I was in college buying a different shampoo and it made my hair "bouncin' and behavin' " for a while then I went back to being lank and greasy all the time. That was the early 70s. I recall reading advice in a magazine to swap out your shampoos. It had to have been in Seventeen, Glamour, or Mademoiselle. That was back before we had real conditioner. The was Breck Creme Rinse but that was it, AFAIK.

I say do what works for you but if you are plagued with lank hair, product swapping might be a simple solution.

Urban legend does sound better than "old wives tales" though :laugh:

spidermom
April 11th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I can use the same shampoo and conditioner presumably endlessly, except that I do use a clarifying shampoo about every 6 weeks to 2-3 months. I can tell when I need to clarify because my hair will look dull and limp, which is not surprising since I use coconut oil and styling products between washes, and they do build up to a point that my regular shampoo won't remove them. I generally switch out shampoo and conditioner when I've used up what I had, then find a different set with a good scent that is on sale. (I definitely choose by scent.)

truepeacenik
April 11th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I heard this in the 70s, the same time people bought into three step "systems" like Sasson. Shampoo, conditioner, cream rinse.
All with....the new wonder...cones!
Swapping clarified, but it all built right back up, so as the labels, said, lather, rinse repeat.

Today, I strictly control cone use, and I do still clarify, which is changing my shampoo, for a wash, each two months or so.

Dark40
April 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
I agree with Decoy24601. It really shouldn't matter what shampoo you use as long as it works for you.

Dark40
April 11th, 2017, 07:42 PM
H&S quit working for me. Guess i used it too long. I'm trying to figure out what to do by trying different things. My stash is large enough to swap out S&C's.

LOL.....my stash is also big enough to swap out S&C's too. But I've decided to go on ahead and use up my stash so that I can try out some new S&C's.

Carolyn
April 11th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Urban legend does sound better than "old wives tales" though :laugh:

LMAO, Chromis! Are you saying I am an old wife? :run: :laugh: :laugh:

Chromis
April 11th, 2017, 09:15 PM
LMAO, Chromis! Are you saying I am an old wife? :run: :laugh: :laugh:

Hahaha! It is the only phrase I really recalled from the pre-urban legend days :laugh:

I think that would make whomever you heard it from first the old wife, technically speaking