PDA

View Full Version : Mature women shouldn't...

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Loved this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hfxLIz3aQ

Reyesuela
April 8th, 2017, 11:31 AM
What random "rules." Lol. No leopard skin over 40? Who else wears animal prints???

Rebel Rebel
April 8th, 2017, 12:03 PM
I love long grey/white hair! I intend to break more rules the older I get. I think leopard or animal print can look very chic and sophisticated. Especially the retro looks from the 1940's-60's. I never understood why long hair was something you had to part with. If anything, I think it softens the face and looks "wise" on older women. I agree that rules are silly and it's all about how the individual feels. I hope as I get older I still remain true to my taste and my style. There's nothing wrong with evolving style but you should never feel that you must follow such dated style rules or comply with the masses. Personally I like all kinds of fashion from avant garde to mininimalist to floral to rocker. It's refreshing to see older women than I, still have fun or not follow the rules set out by society.

Im 40+

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 12:28 PM
I love long grey/white hair! I intend to break more rules the older I get. I think leopard or animal print can look very chic and sophisticated. Especially the retro looks from the 1940's-60's. I never understood why long hair was something you had to part with. If anything, I think it softens the face and looks "wise" on older women. I agree that rules are silly and it's all about how the individual feels. I hope as I get older I still remain true to my taste and my style. There's nothing wrong with evolving style but you should never feel that you must follow such dated style rules or comply with the masses. Personally I like all kinds of fashion from avant garde to mininimalist to floral to rocker. It's refreshing to see older women than I, still have fun or not follow the rules set out by society.

Im 40+

40+ here too. And what rules? That's why I liked the video so much. She just took a couple of articles and said her peace on them, illustrated them and voilą: video. Thought it was a nice approach. And I loved the images she used.

Rebel Rebel
April 8th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Yes she proved those rules to be absolutely ridiculous and showed photos of women looking lovely and fashionable. Wonderful video! I'm sending it to my mom now in fact.

reilly0167
April 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Loved this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hfxLIz3aQ

Break the rules ladies!!!!!!

Silverbleed
April 8th, 2017, 05:40 PM
"Just because"

What a crappy argument.

Cg
April 8th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Let's be gentle with the article author, who was probably up against deadline and clearly devoid of ideas.

duchess67
April 8th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Loved it, lapushka

Andthetalltrees
April 8th, 2017, 06:33 PM
If you followed every rule in this video what would you be able to wear? :confused:

AZDesertRose
April 8th, 2017, 07:48 PM
In my humble opinion (as a mature woman of 41), what "mature women shouldn't do" is let random fashion magazine writers give them a bunch of :bs: about how to dress, how to wear their hair, or how to do their makeup (which I do understand was the point of the woman who made the video). And to be honest, most of the women I know who are my age and up feel the same as I do. :D

My mother still wears bright colors; her favorite color in the world is hot pink, and it looks fantastic on her.

And I'll cut my hair too short to braid when pigs fly. :roll:

reilly0167
April 8th, 2017, 07:55 PM
If you followed every rule in this video what would you be able to wear? :confused:
Little black dress:) don't care for animal print.

Borgessa
April 8th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Ummm never heard of these rules, who pulled these out of their butts? Little strange. Hahaha to the eyesight and foundation being lathered on.

Serimel
April 8th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Oh dear, they just listed all my favourite things :D I guess I'm gonna be such a style anarchist among the "mature ladies" hahaha :D Totally agree to toss those rules, ridiculous.

Borgessa
April 8th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Oh dear, they just listed all my favourite things :D I guess I'm gonna be such a style anarchist among the "mature ladies" hahaha :D Totally agree to toss those rules, ridiculous.
They forgot the one rule they actually meant, stop breathing it seems huh? LOL

Faustine
April 9th, 2017, 12:00 AM
I never heard about any of these rules either, they're all so odd to me. Everyone should feel free to wear whatever they want to wear, and that should be the only "rule".

Serimel
April 9th, 2017, 12:02 AM
They forgot the one rule they actually meant, stop breathing it seems huh? LOL

Lol that's a good one. :D

lapushka
April 9th, 2017, 03:31 AM
Let's be gentle with the article author, who was probably up against deadline and clearly devoid of ideas.

I never ever buy magazines, just because of things like this.

hayheadsbird
April 9th, 2017, 03:51 AM
I think the only fashion rule mature women should follow is don't listen to age based fashion rules. Says she's that's approaching 40 and still rocks pig tail braids on a regular basis.

Though I'm kinda onboard with the leopard print tbh, but that's because I've never seen leopard print look really good on anyone but a leopard.

lapushka
April 9th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I'm still the same person I was when I was young(er). So why should I need to adapt to "rules" like this?

My mom is in her 70s and wears skinny jeans with cute tops and sweaters, and even the occasional hoodie. She loves it. And I love it on her, because she's skinny as heck and it suits her (fast metabolism, she eats while doing tough chores and cleaning). I'm a little curvier, so I dress in boot-cut jeans (can't stand the restriction round my knees/legs) and shirts with a hoodie.

I feel comfortable in my skin + clothes, and that's the most important thing.

truepeacenik
April 9th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I'm thoroughly convinced when the "fashion dweebs" pronounce an age as a day your hair expires, they really mean "time to start plucking chin hair."

That's the only hair shortening I do, based on my age.
(My ends' age? Well, they go through "live fast, split young" periods.)

pili
April 9th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I feel comfortable in my skin + clothes, and that's the most important thing.

This, right here.

dansyl
April 9th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I hate that this is even a thing... that someone feels they have the right to tell other women (no matter the age) what is appropriate for them to wear or how they wear their hair. :(

Hay_jules
April 9th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thanks for sharing lapushka. I really love all the pics she used to illustrate how ridiculous those arbitrary rules are.
At 40 i wear skinny jeans, leggings, neon hoodies and chuck taylors. And have pink hair. My brother was just teasing me yesterday asking me if i was rebelling something with my leather jacket and pink hair and I said "yeah, I'm rebelling against being normal".

I used to work in the women's dept of a large department store and there were a few 'mature' customers who regularly shopped out of the 'young' womens brands...and they were always the most vibrant, confident, energetic women. I always admired them, and always have known I'm going to be one of them lol.

Groovy Granny
April 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM
WHO are they to say we shouldn't do this...that...or the other thing?! :slap:

I have done all of it and still do :flower: ...except the leopard print.

It looks great on others but has never been a favorite of mine. :shrug:

:wigtongue to all those naysayers :lala:

Jo Ann
April 9th, 2017, 03:48 PM
There's RULZ?? :shocked:

I must've been *ahem!* absent the day mine was handed out...yeah, that's it--absent... ;)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Siri
April 9th, 2017, 03:49 PM
"Rules" are made to be broken! :agree:

Jo Ann
April 9th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Exactly, Siri!

*Wednesday*
April 10th, 2017, 06:08 PM
That was cute. I still wear skirts above the knee with no stocking. I guess I broke that rule. ☺

lunasea
April 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Make your own rules and own them! And, yeah, you can even break those if you want. It's your life, your time, you get to define who you are.

spidermom
April 11th, 2017, 12:27 AM
One rule: mature women shouldn't let other people tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

lapushka
April 11th, 2017, 03:56 AM
One rule: mature women shouldn't let other people tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

Yep! Well put. :)

Aunty Miki
April 11th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Amen, Sister!