PDA

View Full Version : Concussion help!

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Help please!
i got a concussion falling off a horse yesterday and need to wash my hair, I can't hang my head over the bath as that makes me feel really dizzy and sick and I'm too dizzy to get in the shower.

normally I'd just leave it but I've got a wedding to go to tomorrow

any ideas?

Kaelee
April 8th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Can you *sit* in the shower? I'm guessing your issue is falling possibly, right? I would think sitting would be OK (so long as there's someone to help you get in and out I guess.)

Other than that, I'd say put it up and don't worry about it. As long as there aren't any visible flakes or dirt, most people really don't notice dirty hair as much as we think they do. What seems like obvious grease overload to us just looks like styling product. :)

pili
April 8th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Oh! That must have been scary! But I second what Kaelee said. Try sitting, and please have someone help. You should not be by yourself with a concussion.

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Yes I'd try it sitting down too, in the bath (if you have a handheld showerhead). Otherwise, take a bucket in and fill it with lukewarm water, and a cup and wet your hair like that. But *do*, please, *do* take someone in there with you. A concussion like that is bad enough but with visible signs like that? Have you had a doctor have a look at it?

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Can you *sit* in the shower? I'm guessing your issue is falling possibly, right? I would think sitting would be OK (so long as there's someone to help you get in and out I guess.)

Other than that, I'd say put it up and don't worry about it. As long as there aren't any visible flakes or dirt, most people really don't notice dirty hair as much as we think they do. What seems like obvious grease overload to us just looks like styling product. :)
I might try sitting in when my mum gets back from work, I can't wear it up as it makes the headache worse

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Yes I'd try it sitting down too, in the bath (if you have a handheld showerhead). Otherwise, take a bucket in and fill it with lukewarm water, and a cup and wet your hair like that. But *do*, please, *do* take someone in there with you. A concussion like that is bad enough but with visible signs like that? Have you had a doctor have a look at it?

I went to minor injuries, I'm not allowed to be left alone and my mum had to keep waking me up in the night

Reyesuela
April 8th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I wash my hair in the tub, lying down, until it gets REALLY long.

rmani
April 8th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Help please!
i got a concussion falling off a horse yesterday and need to wash my hair, I can't hang my head over the bath as that makes me feel really dizzy and sick and I'm too dizzy to get in the shower.

normally I'd just leave it but I've got a wedding to go to tomorrow

any ideas?

Maybe rethink going to the wedding? It may be a lot of stimulation for your brain with the lights, sounds, dancing...Your brain needs to heal.

pili
April 8th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Or if it is very important for you to be there, consider only attending the ceremony? Skip the reception.

Anje
April 8th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Yeah, consider skipping the wedding if you don't feel up to it.

But I agree that sitting in the shower would probably work. Get someone to help you and maybe find a plastic footstool or a bucket to sit on. Dilute the shampoo in water (shake it up in a bottle) and just pour it on and let it sit for a minute or two so you don't have to scrub your poor head. Might not get it as clean, but it'll probably be enough to get you through tomorrow. (Handheld showers are good for this. Heck, they're good for all sorts of things. I'm at the point where I recommend getting one on general principle of usefulness. But don't install it concussed.)

And wear a helmet next time you're on a horse! One that fits, which means with your hair OUT of it.

Sterlyn
April 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Omgosh so sorry to hear this, hopefully you aren't too badly banged up, take care of yourself :flower:

Anje I knew someone that got a concussion from a fall while riding and she was wearing a helmet. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been sans helmet. Hopefully OP was wearing her helmet, if she wasn't will make it a habit for the future. I never get on without mine. I've had and seen so many bad falls over the years.....

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I went to minor injuries, I'm not allowed to be left alone and my mum had to keep waking me up in the night

OMG, I'm so sorry, yes keeping you awake is very much key. I know it's not fun, but, it's pretty big. They just let you go? I would be so scared.

Anje
April 8th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Anje I knew someone that got a concussion from a fall while riding and she was wearing a helmet. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been sans helmet. Hopefully OP was wearing her helmet, if she wasn't will make it a habit for the future. I never get on without mine. I've had and seen so many bad falls over the years.....

Good point. :flower:

Cg
April 8th, 2017, 12:57 PM
As an athlete I experienced concussions. I suggest wrapping hair in a scarf. Wait to wash. I've waited with caked blood in the hair for a week, better than moving/jostling your brain. Let it heal.

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Yep. If your mom just came from having to wake you every so often at night just to see if you were still OK, to washing your hair - I wouldn't go there, and I would skip the wedding also. This is just too much! You need rest, propped up with pillows for a couple of days at least. I'm surprised the doctor(s) didn't give you advice on this.

Rebel Rebel
April 8th, 2017, 01:09 PM
My vote is stay home with your mom and heal. Health is more important than anything else. I wouldn't even wash your hair until you're in the clear.

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Yes, I agree, the hair can wait (and do skip the wedding). There's no point of going if you can't join in the fun and dance (I don't see that happening if you can't even hold your head up in the shower).

Please, please, take good care of yourself!

CrowningGlory
April 8th, 2017, 01:24 PM
If you're determined to go to the wedding, what about dry shampoo? And please take someone responsible to the wedding with you.

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Yeah, consider skipping the wedding if you don't feel up to it.

But I agree that sitting in the shower would probably work. Get someone to help you and maybe find a plastic footstool or a bucket to sit on. Dilute the shampoo in water (shake it up in a bottle) and just pour it on and let it sit for a minute or two so you don't have to scrub your poor head. Might not get it as clean, but it'll probably be enough to get you through tomorrow. (Handheld showers are good for this. Heck, they're good for all sorts of things. I'm at the point where I recommend getting one on general principle of usefulness. But don't install it concussed.)

And wear a helmet next time you're on a horse! One that fits, which means with your hair OUT of it.

I was wearing a correctly fitting helmet, if I hadn't been I would have definitely broken my nose as I landed on my face. I fell off twice in 5 minutes, which probably didn't help, and the first was bad, by far the worst fall I've had

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Omgosh so sorry to hear this, hopefully you aren't too badly banged up, take care of yourself :flower:

I'm not allowed to get on a horse without a helmet, I need a new one now as the fall has damaged my helmet, if I hadn't had a hat and back protector on I would have definitely broken my nose and some ribs

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Yep. If your mom just came from having to wake you every so often at night just to see if you were still OK, to washing your hair - I wouldn't go there, and I would skip the wedding also. This is just too much! You need rest, propped up with pillows for a couple of days at least. I'm surprised the doctor(s) didn't give you advice on this.

The doctor told me I was concussed and then gave me paperwork and sent me on my way ��

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 01:39 PM
The doctor told me I was concussed and then gave me paperwork and sent me on my way ��

What the heck... Ugh, that is terrible. But maybe that means there isn't more damage? I still find it odd they send you home and have your mom check on you through the night. Seems like that is something (to me) that needs to happen in a hospital setting. I'm actually really surprised they didn't keep you overnight because if you get dizzy from the least bit of head movement, that seems like it's... not that light of a concussion.

Hairkay
April 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM
What the heck... Ugh, that is terrible. But maybe that means there isn't more damage? I still find it odd they send you home and have your mom check on you through the night. Seems like that is something (to me) that needs to happen in a hospital setting. I'm actually really surprised they didn't keep you overnight because if you get dizzy from the least bit of head movement, that seems like it's... not that light of a concussion.

That's the norm these days.

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Its the normal, I have to be fully supervised and woken throughout the night, luckily I still live with my parents, a few of my friends have had concussion and have had the same procedure

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 02:52 PM
That's the norm these days.

Its the normal, I have to be fully supervised and woken throughout the night, luckily I still live with my parents, a few of my friends have had concussion and have had the same procedure

Well, that's just terrible! :(

How are you doing now? :) How's the dizziness and such? Feeling the same, a bit better? I know this can take a while and there is no easy fix, but the dizziness and such really has me worried about you.

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Well, that's just terrible! :(

How are you doing now? :) How's the dizziness and such? Feeling the same, a bit better? I know this can take a while and there is no easy fix, but the dizziness and such really has me worried about you.
I should be ok, there is no memory loss and I didn't loose conciousness at all, I'm just dizzy, feeling sick with a headache

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 03:55 PM
I should be ok, there is no memory loss and I didn't loose conciousness at all, I'm just dizzy, feeling sick with a headache

Feel better soon, I mean, that's all I can say. I have Ménière's and I "get" the dizzy feeling, and I know it's not fun and sucks, but it should get better from here for you. :flower:

Cg
April 8th, 2017, 04:58 PM

That should get better shortly. Your higher mental functions shouldn't be affected but if you notice any loss of coordination, go right back.

Ponymad21
April 8th, 2017, 07:23 PM
That should get better shortly. Your higher mental functions shouldn't be affected but if you notice any loss of coordination, go right back.
If I'm no better Monday mums making me go back, I can't even touch my head without excruciating pain

Lady Katherine
April 8th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Oh dear! Rest a lot, and avoid looking at lights (like a PC or phone screen) and dealing with sounds. I had to sit in a dark room for about 2 weeks, did your doctor recommended doing that?

lapushka
April 9th, 2017, 07:37 AM
If I'm no better Monday mums making me go back, I can't even touch my head without excruciating pain

That's enough to go right back on Monday as it is. To me, at least. I don't know about how the rest of you feel. But... This sounds like a big one, not a light one.

pili
April 9th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I'm with Lapushka on this. You should not be attending a wedding and you should definitely be going to the doctor Monday. It is outrageous that you weren't given better care advice. You need to call your regular doctor and have him/her take a look at you. My kids ride too, and there is no way I would be letting them attend a wedding or anything else. I know weddings are a big deal, but I'm sure the person holding it will understand your health is more important.

Sterlyn
April 9th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I'm not allowed to get on a horse without a helmet, I need a new one now as the fall has damaged my helmet, if I hadn't had a hat and back protector on I would have definitely broken my nose and some ribs

It sounds like a pretty bad fall and could have been much worse, give yourself time to heal. I know usually the next day or so, the rest of you will start feeling like you've been run over by a truck, in addition to the headache/dizziness you've already got. Don't be afraid to admit you not up to doing something. You really need to rest. :flower:

I'm glad you wear a helmet and a chest/back protector. I ride with a group of friends/neighbors and when all of our kids were in 4-H, we the parents decided that everybody (adults and kids) would wear a helmet even when riding on trail. This was many years ago, long before helmets became everyday wear, back then it was only for the show ring. 4-h had just made the rule that kids had to wear helmets anytime they got on a horse, whether practicing or anywhere on 4-h grounds during an event, there was loads of pushback. Adults almost never wore helmets back then, they were considered only for kids, like adults didn't need to worry about their head. :rolleyes: Still squicks me out when we go on big group rides and I see folks with a bare noggin on top of a horse.

Aredhel
April 9th, 2017, 09:48 AM
I'd honestly rethink attending the wedding too...or at least part of it. A wedding is a very long and exhausting day without rest, which you should be getting plenty of, in order to allow your body to heal. Were it my wedding you were attending and even if you were my maid of honour, I would not want you to attend with a concussion or any serious injury. Your health comes before all else. The bride and groom will understand if you brief them on why you can't go. Please take care of yourself!!

Cg
April 9th, 2017, 02:07 PM

Go now and get a brain scan. If there's internal swelling, you need to get that relieved immediately.

dansyl
April 9th, 2017, 02:09 PM
I may go back and ask for a CT of the head. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your precious brain. I hope you feel better soon!

Jo Ann
April 9th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Since my Mom had a stroke last year, we put one of those resin/plastic patio chairs in the shower for her to sit on...makes all the difference in the world for her!

Hope you feel better real soon, PM!

Ponymad21
April 10th, 2017, 04:19 PM
It sounds like a pretty bad fall and could have been much worse, give yourself time to heal. I know usually the next day or so, the rest of you will start feeling like you've been run over by a truck, in addition to the headache/dizziness you've already got. Don't be afraid to admit you not up to doing something. You really need to rest. :flower:

I'm glad you wear a helmet and a chest/back protector. I ride with a group of friends/neighbors and when all of our kids were in 4-H, we the parents decided that everybody (adults and kids) would wear a helmet even when riding on trail. This was many years ago, long before helmets became everyday wear, back then it was only for the show ring. 4-h had just made the rule that kids had to wear helmets anytime they got on a horse, whether practicing or anywhere on 4-h grounds during an event, there was loads of pushback. Adults almost never wore helmets back then, they were considered only for kids, like adults didn't need to worry about their head. :rolleyes: Still squicks me out when we go on big group rides and I see folks with a bare noggin on top of a horse.

im even more concerned seeing people without hats now as I was on a "safe" horse, neither of us did anything wrong, it was just an accident, he fell over, it couldn't have been prevented.

Ponymad21
April 10th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I went, but only for a few hours! Today I am feeling better, still a headache and a bit woozy but I'm not as dizzy and not feeling sick! I'm just thankful it wasn't any worse as the way I fell the horse could have tipped backwards(like he did) or tipped forward and fallen on top of me

Ponymad21
April 10th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Since my Mom had a stroke last year, we put one of those resin/plastic patio chairs in the shower for her to sit on...makes all the difference in the world for her!

Hope you feel better real soon, PM!
We got one of those for my nan after she had her fall, unfortunatly our shower is in the bath, if that makes sense? So you have to stand in the bath to use the shower

Ponymad21
April 10th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Oh dear! Rest a lot, and avoid looking at lights (like a PC or phone screen) and dealing with sounds. I had to sit in a dark room for about 2 weeks, did your doctor recommended doing that?

I was told for my mum to keep a close eye on me, and to keep waking me up when I fell asleep until I felt better and if I lost my memory or vomited to come back, and that's it. Even though in the hospital I was holding onto my mum to stand up

Ponymad21
April 10th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I'm with Lapushka on this. You should not be attending a wedding and you should definitely be going to the doctor Monday. It is outrageous that you weren't given better care advice. You need to call your regular doctor and have him/her take a look at you. My kids ride too, and there is no way I would be letting them attend a wedding or anything else. I know weddings are a big deal, but I'm sure the person holding it will understand your health is more important.

I tried to go to my regular doctor first, before I went up the hospital but they refused to see me and said I had to go up the hospital, which I thought was a bit excessive, I was only going to the dr as my mum forced me

Sterlyn
April 11th, 2017, 05:44 AM
im even more concerned seeing people without hats now as I was on a "safe" horse, neither of us did anything wrong, it was just an accident, he fell over, it couldn't have been prevented.

One of the worst falls I've had was one where my horse just tripped and fell, there were no shenanigans going on. Riding is a dangerous sport, yes horses that are spirited, ornery or young and foolhardy can increase the danger for sure but I've seen horses fall, step in holes, spook at some freak occurrence where the rider gets hurt, no ill will or high jinx intended from the horse.

There are plenty of experienced riders in the horse world that don't wear a helmet or only wear them when they're doing something they consider high risk. Just pure foolishness if you ask me, there is always a risk anytime you get on a horse, like you said, accidents happen. I tell people I value my head and consider it irreplaceable. :)

I went, but only for a few hours! Today I am feeling better, still a headache and a bit woozy but I'm not as dizzy and not feeling sick! I'm just thankful it wasn't any worse as the way I fell the horse could have tipped backwards(like he did) or tipped forward and fallen on top of me

I'm glad you are on the mend and starting to feel better :flower: and I'm truly glad your fall wasn't any worse.

pili
April 11th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Where we go there is Dressage, Hunter/Jumper, and Western riding. While all the English riders wear helmets, not all the Western riders do, especially the instructors. It gives me chills.

Sterlyn
April 11th, 2017, 09:44 AM

Where we go there is Dressage, Hunter/Jumper, and Western riding. While all the English riders wear helmets, not all the Western riders do, especially the instructors. It gives me chills.

That seems to be a common school of thought, the idea that western pleasure type riding and the horses that go with it are sedate. As long as you're not gaming, it's all good. We primarily ride on trail, which many consider sedate and safer, *snort why I don't know. When you consider the number of times we ride (several times a week if we can), we have been fairly accident free, especially considering we ride gaited horses that move out and we use all 3 gaits. Even so through the years we have all had spills some of them resulting in injuries requiring ER visits.