PDA

View Full Version : "Mom hair"--I laughed so hard at this.

Reyesuela
April 7th, 2017, 06:21 PM
This is my generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh75XWRaugg

HeavenlyTresses
April 7th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Haha I am so glad I didn't join the cult of the cut! Although I am guilty of some of those other things :)

ephemeri
April 7th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Bathrooms are oceans but kitchens are a farm... Oh lord. :spitting:

Along with 'the cut', there are so many cliches in this that I've seen in real life, it's frightening. It's just a little too real.

Rebel Rebel
April 7th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Spot on! Is this an American haircut? I don't think I've seen this look in other places. I do think Victoria Beckham might have sported this for a spell.

Reyesuela
April 7th, 2017, 07:18 PM
It's American and less commonly British. There is now a trend toward other Instagram inspired styles, but variations are still strong.

The Netherlands has a much uglier version that's currently popular among women 30+ that instantly makes you look 10 years older and androgynous.

The American version actually is flattering. It's quite high maintenance by my standards but less maintenance than the really intensely dyed and styled APL styles.

You see it a lot on newscasters, too. Google "newscaster short hair."

Rebel Rebel
April 7th, 2017, 07:22 PM
I remember seeing this on A LOT of women starting early 2000's. It's still going strong I guess. 😊

Rebel Rebel
April 7th, 2017, 07:28 PM
It's American and less commonly British. There is now a trend toward other Instagram inspired styles, but variations are still strong.

The Netherlands has a much uglier version that's currently popular among women 30+ that instantly makes you look 10 years older and androgynous.

The American version actually is flattering. It's quite high maintenance by my standards but less maintenance than the really intensely dyed and styled APL styles.

Haha Reyesuela! I had a horrible boss once that had this haircut so it has very bad memories for me.

Shorty89
April 7th, 2017, 07:32 PM
"Video cannot be played in your country" *Grumble* I don't wanna miss out.

Reyesuela
April 7th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I can't find a copy... SNL Mom hair or SNL baby shower 2016 might find it.

ArienEllariel
April 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Oh my... I remember that cut. A lot of moms sported it back in the day and some still do. Mostly it seems like you hit 30ish and suddenly you want a bob or shorter. I refuse to be one of those people.

Reyesuela
April 7th, 2017, 08:41 PM
And you hit 45, your hair thins, and you get the old lady perm.

spirals
April 7th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I remember seeing this on A LOT of women starting early 2000's. It's still going strong I guess. ��

When I moved to Wisconsin in 2002 I saw a lot of it and thought, "Oh, they must be 10 years behind here." It's been around since the '90s. It was a shorter edgy version of a flip.

spirals
April 7th, 2017, 08:47 PM

At least here's a picture: http://facebooklay.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/thecut.jpg

Rebel Rebel
April 7th, 2017, 10:02 PM
When I moved to Wisconsin in 2002 I saw a lot of it and thought, "Oh, they must be 10 years behind here." It's been around since the '90s. It was a shorter edgy version of a flip.

Oh yes actually I remember a 90's version too. I little less "perfect", a little bit messy and usually worn by edgier people. A bit more rave/club style.

truepeacenik
April 7th, 2017, 10:31 PM
And you hit 45, your hair thins, and you get the old lady perm.

45=old lady???

Looks at driving license. Thwaps Reyesuela with a cane.
Get off my lawn!

Reyesuela
April 7th, 2017, 10:51 PM
45=old lady???

Looks at driving license. Thwaps Reyesuela with a cane.
Get off my lawn!

Haha! But that's what MOST women used to do, and some still do. Good way to make yourself look ancient long before your time.

The actress who played Alice on the Brady Bunch was 43 when it started and 46 when it ended. She looked much, much older.

I figure I can start looking like an old lady when I'm...lessay 80.

Bubblebeam
April 7th, 2017, 10:56 PM

Same here. :(

Yarrow
April 8th, 2017, 02:07 AM
http://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/snl-has-the-perfect-hairstyle-to-go-with-your-mom-jeans-the-cut/
You can see a picture of the cut here. Honestly I don't think it looks too bad?:couch: a classmate had one of these in 8th grade.
If all moms would be wearing long hair I guess long hair would be the mom cut :)

Serimel
April 8th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Oh this was funny! And slightly creepy too...

lapushka
April 8th, 2017, 05:11 AM
I wore my hair like that at one point. I would be horrified if someone were to "type" me like that. :( It's no better than people saying long hair is gross, IMMHO. :shrug:

pili
April 8th, 2017, 08:48 AM
That video made me appreciate the NorCal aesthetic. "Moms" here have much longer hair. I usually only see that cut on tourists.

Hairkay
April 8th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I can't say that I've noticed how mothers here wear their hair. Big sis may have tried that cut and style once.

Reyesuela
April 8th, 2017, 09:15 AM
It's mostly "beachy waves," highlights, and sometimes "Instagram mom hair" complicated multicolored dye, if she is unemployed now.

I'm totally guilty of saving gift bags and candles we never light. But the candles are actually battery candles for health reasons!!! So maybe that's better, maybe worse. Lol. I stopped making my bathrooms a beach in high school, though.

Lapushka, don't be silly. Of course your hair says something about you. Some people have long hair because they are old fashioned or from conservative religious backgrounds or just traditional. Some have long hair because they're into new age granola/hippy/Wiccan/Pagan/whatever. Many people who read a lot of fantasy novels like long hair. And some people just like it. All groups are up for gentle fun in a good spirit.

Rebel Rebel
April 8th, 2017, 10:12 AM
I had a friend who I worked with that had this cut ( before the horrible boss who would make my life hell ) and no joke, at least 20-30 people a day would stop and ask her who did this cut. She had a lot of white blonde pieces in it too which made it look a bit "punkish". Her husband was just starting out at as a hairdresser and he became one the most "famous" booked up, busy hairdressers in the city because of her referrals. I think this look was very in style, fashionable at one point and then the "moms" and business professionals took it over. It's exactly what the mom bob used to be. The bob was also one of the most high fashion looks you could have at one point. I always wished my hair was thick enough to have a cool bob. I just think like all trendy things that are usually worn by the younger generation, they become the norm for everyone else. The younger set now wears mom jeans while the moms wear skinny jeans. It all gets flip flopped around.

I should add that I always save nice bags and bows too!

spirals
April 8th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Of course your hair says something about you. Some people have long hair because they are old fashioned or from conservative religious backgrounds or just traditional. Some have long hair because they're into new age granola/hippy/Wiccan/Pagan/whatever. Many people who read a lot of fantasy novels like long hair.
Agreed. Going back to what Lapushka said about not wanting to be typed: I know people type me because of certain things (not just hair) but I gradually slid into not caring. I just do me, and if it's a type, so be it.

pandabarrier
April 8th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I don't think that haircut is horrible. My mom had haircuts like that, but shorter.

Reyesuela
April 8th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I don't think that haircut is horrible. My mom had haircuts like that, but shorter.

It's ridiculously flattering on a variety of face shapes, like the "Jennifer Aniston" it replaced. It's not horrible at all. It was just very, very trendy among mom-aged women for a while.

I don't care who stereotypes me. I drive a minivan ;). There is now a stereotype for women who drive SUVs because they don't want to be moms who drive minivans. You can't escape it!

truepeacenik
April 8th, 2017, 11:17 AM
That video made me appreciate the NorCal aesthetic. "Moms" here have much longer hair. I usually only see that cut on tourists.

Or moms have rainbow hair and half a shaved head. Or dreads. Then there's inland, Danville, Livermore and such.

I personally like the Humboldt look.

pandabarrier
April 8th, 2017, 11:26 AM
It's ridiculously flattering on a variety of face shapes, like the "Jennifer Aniston" it replaced. It's not horrible at all. It was just very, very trendy among mom-aged women for a while.

I don't care who stereotypes me. I drive a minivan ;). There is now a stereotype for women who drive SUVs because they don't want to be moms who drive minivans. You can't escape it!
That's true, there is a stereotype for women who drive minivans, 'mom's car'.

Rebel Rebel
April 8th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Here is the Victoria Beckham messier version I was thinking of and this looks exactly
like what my friend had. I think she looks great here!

https://goo.gl/images/ZwyfyC

Reyesuela
April 8th, 2017, 11:54 AM
I think Victoria Beckham did it first, the Kate from Jon and Kate + Eight really made it take off. It looked really good on her!

reilly0167
April 8th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Omg!!!! This is hilarious!!!! When I had my first child, I cut my hair short, not in that style tho lol.

Silverbleed
April 8th, 2017, 06:08 PM

Can confirm. Or at least, in my area. Most women above the age of 35 I know got the short haircut with big highlights. We even have a name for the specific haircut: kort pittig kapsel (short spicy haircut).
Personally, I don't like it. There are so many people with short hair around me, I want to have the opposite haha.

Honestly I like the style in the video though. And the video is hilarious :'D

dansyl
April 8th, 2017, 08:24 PM
"mom hair" here is the bob... short in the back and longer in the front.. funny is that I had that hair cut for years and when I became a mom my hair was longest it's ever been. Long hair is very popular here though...

lizardspots
April 9th, 2017, 07:22 AM
LOL this video is hysterical! Funnily enough, I got something similar to that "mom cut" in my mid twenties. Now I'm 31, starting to get more into hippy nature and social activism, so I'm embracing the long hair with blunt bangs 60s look xD Who knows what sort of hair I'll have when I have kids...!

truepeacenik
April 9th, 2017, 08:57 AM
LOL this video is hysterical! Funnily enough, I got something similar to that "mom cut" in my mid twenties. Now I'm 31, starting to get more into hippy nature and social activism, so I'm embracing the long hair with blunt bangs 60s look xD Who knows what sort of hair I'll have when I have kids...!

Braids. It hurts less than a ponytail when they are used as reins when Spawn are in the backpack.

spirals
April 9th, 2017, 09:36 AM
"mom hair" here is the bob... short in the back and longer in the front.. funny is that I had that hair cut for years and when I became a mom my hair was longest it's ever been. Long hair is very popular here though...

I had that in my late '20s with no kids. It was because I was middle management at a restaurant and needed my hair above my collar.