PDA

View Full Version : Sauna

free_hug
October 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Sauna question. I live in a super dorm with swimming pool and sauna - and use both as often as i can. It's extremely healthy for all parts of the body and soul as well... but what about the hair?

Is it okay, or should is there any really efficient ways to protect my (rather short, but also rather pretty) hair from burning in hell? Do you think regular conditioning and trimming can just do the trick? Or should i do less swimming and more gym? (I wouldn't do that anyway, i love to swim/sauna and hate working out.)

I never use a blow-drier, not too much shampoo either, and some conditioning from time to time. Any ideas?

Thank you.

savi
October 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I like to take a shower and drench my hair with water before going to sauna.

Some use damp towels, or wrap a towel around wet hair to protect it, but I haven't adopted that habit.. yet. It's also common to put some conditioner on the lenght.

Áine
October 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Actually, a gentle, moist heat can be very beneficial for hair, as it cause the hair shaft to soften up, allowing more moisture inside. It's like a hot oil treatment, but with water vapor from the air and a towel, maybe. Kind of like what Savi mentioned.

Immediately after you step out, I would seal in that moisture with a little bit of oil, or even conditioner to be rinsed out later when it cools down. If you leave it bare, you might see all that added moisture steam right off of your hair, and you'll get very little benefit.

Aisha25
October 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I would do my hair treatments in there espesially the oil before head bath would be very good.

burns_erin
October 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
You could also put a humectant on before going in. Since the air will have so much more moisture in it that your hair, a humectant in theory should really help moisturize your hair. Then you could oil it when getting out.

maliha
October 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
hi there,,

I second Aisha's opinion bcoz it will allow the oil to penetrate and make hair soft and healthy. Most of the time when I do Hair oiling i like to put on a hot towel it will give the same effect :)

Aisha25
October 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
hi there,,

I second Aisha's opinion bcoz it will allow the oil to penetrate and make hair soft and healthy. Most of the time when I do Hair oiling i like to put on a hot towel it will give the same effect :)
Yeah me too I always do hot towel and that sauna would make it much easier;)

Finoriel
October 25th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Well in order to keep a public sauna neat and clean itīs often not appreciated when folks use products in there, or eat/drink something. I do not even do treatments in my own sauna, in fear it could ruin the wooden benches if it drips.
Iīm not even sure if a hot oil treatment would be such a good idea. Oil is a good heat conductor and the temperatures in a hot sauna could literally fry your hair, denature itīs components by becoming too hot. Think of flat ironing and blow drying. Not sure what temperatures you have in there, maybe itīs a low temperature sauna, then it could work.

I stick with a damp towel to protect my hair during sauna, I prefer very hot and dry sauna over the humid one. The evaporating water keeps my hair from becoming too warm and from drying out.

vampodrama
October 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't step into a sauna with unprotected hair. I also wouldn't step into a sauna if it was below 90 degrees (celsius) so yeah... temperatures that high damage hair. so I always wrap my hair into a towel. it works in several ways - protects my hair, allows my head to stay a bit cooler (resulting in longer sauna sessions) and I generally try to cover my ears with that towel too because I wear 0ga metal tunnels in my lobes plus several metal CBRs and I can't be bothered to remove them before the sauna.

I really want to get one of those sauna hats made of felt because they are awesome, but I haven't stumbled onto one yet.

Billie
October 26th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I really want to get one of those sauna hats made of felt because they are awesome, but I haven't stumbled onto one yet.
Now, that makes me curious... :)

manderly
October 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Teehee! A self-made sauna hat :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyx1fN4lnNE

aisling
October 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't step into a sauna with unprotected hair. I also wouldn't step into a sauna if it was below 90 degrees (celsius) so yeah... temperatures that high damage hair. so I always wrap my hair into a towel. it works in several ways - protects my hair, allows my head to stay a bit cooler (resulting in longer sauna sessions) and I generally try to cover my ears with that towel too because I wear 0ga metal tunnels in my lobes plus several metal CBRs and I can't be bothered to remove them before the sauna.

You mean like these (http://www.saunahattu.fi/)? Ok they're made of raw lined fabric but I think they're funnier, look at the one with the lil' flower decoration :lol: This (http://www.saunaset.net/u2q1/PIF/104129.htm) is made from cotton, the shape is hilarious :) And finally, a felted version. (https://www.silentia.com/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=84&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=368&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=105&vmcchk=1&Itemid=105)

free_hug
October 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the answers. The sauna hat is my absolute favourite, i really love these felt things :D so cute...
I definitely will buy one if i find one somewhere. But do you wear these wet or dry?

Treecrown
October 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
wet, according to the directions on the label of one I looked at at Stockmann's (giant department store in Helsinki with lots of sauna gear).

Finoriel
October 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
:bigeyes: So, thatīs how it is to be enabled!
You read some new replies, follow an innocent link and suddenly feel a strong need which did not exist just 5 short seconds before. How could I, as a hat/cap addict, ever sit in the sauna, being happy with a wet towel on my head?:justy:
Now, where to buy this in Sweden? *off to torture google*
:D