PDA

View Full Version : For those of you maintaining a particular length

Sarahlabyrinth
April 4th, 2017, 03:29 PM
If you are maintaining your hair at a particular length, do you find it boring, or non-rewarding, to no longer see growth? Or do you find other enjoyable things about maintaining your hair?

MidnightMoon
April 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Yes, I find it boring and non-rewarding, even though I just recently started maintaining at tailbone for a while to grow out damage. It's a nice feeling to cut bleached ugly ends, and my goal is virgin knee-length, and specially to have my natural colour at my wedding, but still... I appreciate length very much, and I'm a bit impatient, I'm basically growing out 3 years of bleach, so it's a lot.
I even cut most of the bleach on the front pieces because I couldn't stand how thin they were, and not having my real colour for years.
I can't wait until I can get back to growing healthy hair and focus on that only, not removing damage.

Groovy Granny
April 4th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I don't find it boring at all! :shrug:

My hemline remains thick and healthy, I can still do all my long-hair styles with all my hair toys, and even curl it if I like for fancy half ups, ponytail styles, or worn down.

It is at a length that is healthy for my hair, can be worn down and not be annoying or harmful to my hair, and yet is comfortable for me to maintain with my arthritis.

I have cut back to waist from hip twice now.... and WAIST is where it will be maintained.

In the 1960's my hair was always worn at this length....perhaps for the reasons noted above? I don't recall :hmm:

I just know that I enjoy all aspects of my hair care, and want a length that gives me the option to vary the styles/hair toys, while maintaining hair health and physical comfort :cheer:

Tosca
April 4th, 2017, 05:40 PM
I find the monthly thickening of my hem rewarding, and getting regular trims is a nice change. My hem is so thin that I feel if I tried to keep growing, my shed rate might end up cancelling out any growth I got, by shedding my longest hairs.

In any case, I'm about to enter the mid-thigh abyss, so visible growth would be thin on the ground anyway. I might start growing it out again next year, after the maintaining I have planned for this year.

Siri
April 4th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I'm maintaining it at waist length until I can get rid of the black dyed hair and all my hair is it' s natural color. I'm excited to see my own color returning little by little but I know I have years to go. It's going to get frustrating as it goes on and so slowly. :-(

sumidha
April 4th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I feel like maybe it's cheating for me to answer because I've just barely reached my goal length, but what the heck...

I want to maintain at my goal length until all of my hair reaches this length. I have tons of taper due to damage, the remnants of bangs somewhere around BSL, four poofy inches of postpartum shed regrowth, and another postpartum shed yet to come. And my hair grows incredibly slowly. So I could conceivably be waiting for all those hairs to catch up for the rest of my life! Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but seriously, it took me thirteen years to get from buzz cut to fingertip length, so I've got a long time to wait.

I feel that FTL is at the edge of my personal tolerance for 'dealing with long hair' that is, it's still short enough that I could theoretically wear it down without destroying it, I can still brush from root to end with one stroke of the brush, and it's still long enough to do almost any hair style I want to attempt.

I really like how this length looks with the shape of my body.

Mostly though, it just finally feels 'long enough' for me, which when you get right down to it, it more of a feeling than any kind of rational thought process! :P

school of fish
April 4th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I'm happy maintaining this length, although my growth journey isn't yet finished since I still have layers growing out.

I'm not into updos or playing with styles - I wear mine down pretty much every day. I don't think I'll ever feel bored of wearing my hair down!

I find I look forward to my monthly microtrims. Each trim brings me closer to having those layers out, and keeps the blunt hemline that I love!

Although I'm eager to have the layers grown out, I'm enjoying too much the fact that I've made it to the length I'd envisioned to feel bored :)

mermaid lullaby
April 5th, 2017, 07:23 AM
I find it enjoyable that I'm done growing out my hair. When I was at bsl-waist, I was rather impatient.

lapushka
April 5th, 2017, 07:42 AM
If you are maintaining your hair at a particular length, do you find it boring, or non-rewarding, to no longer see growth? Or do you find other enjoyable things about maintaining your hair?

I maintained classic for a year, and it was a chore, to get a trim every 4 months, and growing past classic by 2 inches was even more difficult for me. Classic really is my cut-off point. So no wonder I chopped back to hip. I am growing back out now. I figure my "best" length is between TBL and classic and if I can keep it there, so I won't have to trim too much (big deal every time), it will be perfect.

At a certain point, growth is just not needed anymore and you'll cut it off, after having reached your ideal length.

bparnell75
April 5th, 2017, 10:20 AM
I am not quite there yet. Maybe an inch or so to go and then hope to maintain at the length were my hair reaches the chair when I sit, but I do not sit on it. Don't know what length that is...butt maybe. The I think getting a thicker hair line will be fun....We'll see.

MsPharaohMoan
April 5th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I'm also cheating as I'm barely at my goal length (a few hairs are kissing classic) but I've already begun microtrimming. Feels good to get rid of layers, damage, and dye. Looking forward to next month's microtrim!

Zemeraldite
April 5th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Trying to maintain the back layers at chin length, so my pixie doesn't end up looking like a mullet D:

Deborah
April 5th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I have never had a goal length, and I just enjoy it at every length of long. If it starts to annoy me or get in the way, then I know it's time to cut some off. I have cut off over a foot at a time, and have never regretted it. That's the beauty of long hair, you can keep it long and still have many different lengths to enjoy along the way. It is never boring to me.