PDA

View Full Version : Self hair cutting - advice?

Bubblebeam
April 4th, 2017, 01:18 AM
So I just got done trimming my hair, but honestly, I struggle each time I do and usually end up cutting way more than intended because what at first looks straight, looks uneven a few brushes later.

I've tried the simplest methods seen on YT and still have this problem. I'm wondering if perhaps people here have further tips. What I did today was halve my hair (left and right) then halved again (back and sides). I clipped up the sides and ponytailed the two back sections. Bringing that hair to the front, I simply got the hair between my fingers and snipped. It's hard to tell honestly how well this comes out. When I look in the mirror it looks straight enough, but when I get my husband to hold a mirror behind me I see parts longer than the rest? I'm guessing this is the hair from just above your neck that becomes longer than the rest when sitting naturally. It only becomes even with the rest when brought to the front?

I'd love to hear some advice on this. What method do you use for a basic self cut? How do you cut and section your hair to be even at the back? Videos would be super helpful if you know of one that shows your method.

In case it's important in any way, my hair is only an inch or two past my shoulder, so not super long.

hayheadsbird
April 4th, 2017, 01:34 AM
From what I've read, the angle you hold your head can have an effect. So looking straight ahead gives more a v hemline, and tilting your head down give a U.
Are you trying for a straight hemline?

Cannelle
April 4th, 2017, 03:22 AM
I'd look into Feye's Self Trimming Method. I've found that this is the only method that produces a perfectly even hemline, other ones always left me with uneven strands. Here's the link: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

lapushka
April 4th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Yes! Feye's self-trimming method.

And whatever you do, just trim, and do *not* comb it out in different ways, because it will always look uneven after; just leave it alone and do *not* cut more hair off. Just leave it be. Hair hangs differently all the time!

I have layers, and cut in layers. I use the compact cut method for layers.

You basically make a ponytail either:

-on the top of your head
(more uniform longer layers throughout)

-on the top of your forehead
(shorter layers and one or a few longer layer(s) in back)

And you snip a few inches off. I would not recommend this method for hair shorter than BSL, or your layers will be *very* short!

Bubblebeam
April 4th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Reading through Feye's method, it seems that is exactly what I've been doing. Hmm. I wish I had a mirrored room to tell properly how the back looks! I grabbed a fairly large hand mirror recently and used it against the full length wardrobe mirror, but it seems like depending on the angle you're looking, the hair can look both straight and uneven.

Of course, an additional person around would be a huge help too, but unfortunately I only have my husband who is hopeless and impatient with this kind of thing; I couldn't even get him to take a straight-on picture of the back of my head. :rolleyes: How I wish I still had my mum nearby to help me!

Any other tips, please do post. I've bookmarked Feye's page for my next trim. While I already do the fundamentals she describes, I haven't considered angling my head according to sought shape.

JadedByEntropy
April 4th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Just because it looks uneven doesn't mean it is. pull a strand from each side and compare. its doubtful anyone will notice anything less than a half inch different. Ive even come out of hair appointments lopsided-and noone noticed

sumidha
April 4th, 2017, 06:22 PM
There's a hair cutting gadget called a creaclip that might be an option for you.

Are you cutting your hair dry or wet? If you have any wave at all it's always going to look a tiny bit uneven due to that so wet, straighter hair might help. Chances are the unevenness you're seeing isn't noticeable to anyone else, we're all our own worst critic.

Finally, some people have had success getting straight across no frills trims at barber shops, as opposed to hair salons, so that might be a plan C to consider.

I personally use Feye's method without any problems, but I have wavy hair so if it's off by a centimeter or two it's not noticeable at all and I don't sweat it.

Bubblebeam
April 4th, 2017, 08:18 PM
I straightened my hair before cutting. It works well for me as naturally my ends curl even when between my fingers ready to cut.

Just made a quick search of the creaclip you mentioned. Looks and sounds too good to be true! I will definitely be looking into it. Is it commonly used on this forum? While it may not help my specific problem with my back hair, it would surely be helpful to me when I graduate my sides. I'm terrible at matching the sections and getting the exact same angles with my fingers alone.

Rowdy
April 4th, 2017, 08:35 PM
I use the small blue creaclip for bangs when I trim the ends. I use Feye's method mostly but I don't use ponytail holders. I just bring each half forward and slide my fingers down to the ends then snap the clip right above my fingers (I can't slide the creaclip down my hair as that gives me splits). It lets me bring the ends up where I can see them better to cut and I don't have to worry about not moving my head around.

Bubblebeam
April 4th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Didn't think of bangs. The clip would be a Godsend for me there. I haven't had any in ages partly due to the fact they're hard to cut evenly with just a comb.

sumidha
April 4th, 2017, 09:16 PM
I think there's a thread on it in the conventional products forum. :)

Bubblebeam
April 5th, 2017, 01:20 AM
I think there's a thread on it in the conventional products forum. :)

I can't seem to find it. Would you mind linking me? Would love to know peoples feedback on it outside of YT.

Gabriel
April 5th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Here are some threads on the CreaClip for you. They're all pretty old though. I use one and have been using it for a while now since I've reached knee+. I like gadgets and things and along that mind set, I enjoy the CreaClip.

CreaClip (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17434&highlight=creaclip)
creaclip (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77500&highlight=creaclip)
Creaclip success (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115667&highlight=creaclip)
Creaclip question (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=115391&highlight=creaclip)
CreaClip users...need your help (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112006&highlight=creaclip)

Zemeraldite
April 5th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Yes! Feye's self-trimming method.
You basically make a ponytail either:

-on the top of your head
(more uniform longer layers throughout)

-on the top of your forehead
(shorter layers and one or a few longer layer(s) in back)

And you snip a few inches off.
Curious - what happens when you make a normal ponytail after the cut?
does the ponytail look blunt and unnatural? can you still wear it everyday?

Deborah
April 5th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I imagine close to shoulder length would be difficult to do on ones own hair. I have a generic CreaClip and love it. But whatever method you use, you will find it easier as your hair gets longer.

lapushka
April 5th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Curious - what happens when you make a normal ponytail after the cut?
does the ponytail look blunt and unnatural? can you still wear it everyday?

No it doesn't, because you cut it in front or on top of your head and that is not where you make your "normal" ponytails. Of course the ponytails on the top of the head and the front of the forehead are blunt ones, but when you make normal ponytails, the hair is layered and so is the ponytail.

littlestarface
April 5th, 2017, 03:32 PM
There's a hair cutting gadget called a creaclip that might be an option for you.

Are you cutting your hair dry or wet? If you have any wave at all it's always going to look a tiny bit uneven due to that so wet, straighter hair might help. Chances are the unevenness you're seeing isn't noticeable to anyone else, we're all our own worst critic.

Finally, some people have had success getting straight across no frills trims at barber shops, as opposed to hair salons, so that might be a plan C to consider.

I personally use Feye's method without any problems, but I have wavy hair so if it's off by a centimeter or two it's not noticeable at all and I don't sweat it.
How do you not care? I go mad literally mad if my hair is even a little crooked LOL. I have to keep cutting until I see it perfectly even on both sides.

Thank god I discovered spidermoms way to cut my hair or else I would be in the loony bin by now or have the worst ends in the world.

Groovy Granny
April 5th, 2017, 04:10 PM
How do you not care? I go mad literally mad if my hair is even a little crooked LOL. I have to keep cutting until I see it perfectly even on both sides.

Thank god I discovered spidermoms way to cut my hair or else I would be in the loony bin by now or have the worst ends in the world.

LOL .....I am with you on this all the way...including the trim method :thumbsup:

Bubblebeam
April 5th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the links! I'm very perfectionist about my hair being straight too, but I'm sure that was obvious by now. :p

mermaid lullaby
April 5th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I wish you for the best on your self trimming Bubblebeam :)