PDA

View Full Version : Hair is already splitting even though trim was recent!?!

- Lizzy -
April 3rd, 2017, 08:40 AM
I have been looking through my hair the past few days and noticed some split ends. I did a mini trim (I don't do those very often because it feels like a huge process and I'm lazy) on like march 16th? Idk its in my signature. I don't know why this is happening. Ive been wearing my hair up more often & only brushing to distribute oils. Should I just s & d? Its way to soon to mini trim again.

truepeacenik
April 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM
How sharp are the scissor blades? I used slightly dulled scissors and made a broom out of my ends. Took a few days for the new damage to manifest.

PSA: sharpen your scissors!

lapushka
April 3rd, 2017, 08:58 AM
Trims often can't catch all your splits, it's perfectly normal to find them after that. Just S&D the ones you do find and it should be A-OK! :thumbsup:

Aredhel
April 3rd, 2017, 09:40 AM
Every time I trim I find splits after because my ends are super uneven. I have some strands that are half the length of my longest strands and unfortunately a lot of those shorter strands have splits that aren't long enough for me to want to cut yet. :) (I don't trust myself to S&D because I know I'd get way too obsessive about it.)

Anje
April 3rd, 2017, 12:47 PM
Are your splits at your hemline or at the bottom of a cut-in layer? Then yeah, definitely look to your scissors. If they're scattered higher up in your hair, that's pretty normal. No trim will get all of those. S&D them if there are enough to be bothersome, and keep making an effort to protect your hair.

Nique1202
April 3rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
The thing about a trim is that it removes the furthest-down bit of damage, but any damage to the hair higher up can still result in a new split. Depending on how much damage your hair picks up from your everyday routines with it (not just heat and dye, some people find bristle brushes to cause a lot of friction damage, for example, or if you wear your hair loose and it rubs against things like your shirt or bag straps) then the hair above the line you trimmed at could still be damaged enough to split.

If the splits are all right on the ends that you recently cut, consider getting your scissors sharpened or getting a new pair of shears and keeping them away from anything except hair. If the splits aren't just at the tips of the hair, it might be time to consider where else your hair might be getting damaged and how you can reduce it (whether that's "wear more non-damaging updos" or "use products with more slip and friction protection").