PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I really need help hair typing, please?

StephanieB
October 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Please, tell me what hair type mine is?

TIA

Here's the latest photo besides my siggy line pic: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2964048853_6007ef5150_m.jpg

Both pix are of my hair freshly washed and air-dried right before the pix were taken. No leave-ins. No playing with it. Just letting it hang 'till dried naturally in the air.

The original siggy pic was as dark as the newer pic I just posted. That's closer to my real hair color in reasonably bright indoor lighting, or outdoor lighting that is not direct sunlight. I lightened my siggy pic specifically to show the weird s-curvey waves in the middle that I can never get rid of no matter what I do.

Thanks! :)

Samikha
October 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM
You're 1c, I think :) I believe my hair is 2a and it's curlier than that, particularly at the ends. That is more of a gentle wave you've got there. If you are 2a, I think we'll see it as it grows longer.

Arctic
October 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM
It looks a lot like mine. I have 1c canopy and 2b underlayer, so I have 2a in my profile.

talullah
October 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Don't apologize! :flowers: You look like a 2a to me. :)

Arctic_Mama
October 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Oooh, tough. If you were a true wavy I'd expect your ends to curl, but they're straight (now, that assumes no severe damage like coloring or straightening!) so I'd say you have lovely body waves, but not *actually* wavy hair. 1c. But you could easily be a 2a if you had damage changing your hair type, but the waves are big and gentle and don't look very strong.

If you brush your hair out or leave it a few days does the wave pattern go away and just become some volume, or does the S pattern stay?

My hair is 2a/2b, just for an example. It has fairly strong waves but they are looong, which is why I am waffling on calling myself a 2b. But the waves don't go away throughout the week. The moment my hair loses the 'just combed' poof it breaks up into locks that curve and curl, so it was fairly obvious it wasn't just body waves. I think 2a is about the hardest hair to hairtype because so many factors can change what you're seeing, but just based on what I see here with no more information I think 1c is fairly accurate.

CourtneyS
October 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Im curious where you get the types from? Im new here and have yet to run across where it is described.

Anje
October 24th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I think I'll call you a 1c, just because my ends curl a little more than yours do. My hairtyping pic, for comparision. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=105&pictureid=23175)

Feel free to re-evaluate, though, as time goes on. Hair texture changes a bit with length and care, and waves can take some real length before the pattern shows well.

CourtneyS, these are the hair classifications (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954), and here are photographic examples (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html).

StephanieB
October 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Oooh, tough. If you were a true wavy I'd expect your ends to curl, but they're straight (now, that assumes no severe damage like coloring or straightening!) so I'd say you have lovely body waves, but not *actually* wavy hair. 1c. But you could easily be a 2a if you had damage changing your hair type, but the waves are big and gentle and don't look very strong.

If you brush your hair out or leave it a few days does the wave pattern go away and just become some volume, or does the S pattern stay?

My hair is 2a/2b, just for an example. It has fairly strong waves but they are looong, which is why I am waffling on calling myself a 2b. But the waves don't go away throughout the week. The moment my hair loses the 'just combed' poof it breaks up into locks that curve and curl, so it was fairly obvious it wasn't just body waves. I think 2a is about the hardest hair to hairtype because so many factors can change what you're seeing, but just based on what I see here with no more information I think 1c is fairly accurate.

There's no damage to my hair. :cheese:

It was just trimmed a good inch to get rid of the split dry frizzy ends - remnants of a years-old perm that's finally totally outgrown and gone.

I just decided to bite the bullet, sacrifice the last inch... which was not nice anyhow.
Now, I need not worry about split ends splitting further up the hair shaft. :)

Yes - my waves are big and not too strong (if "strong" means staying bouncy).

If I brush my hair, it'll straighten out... for a while. But a few hours later, those damnable useless waves are right back in place! It's like they are steel springs that boing right back, but slowly - not immediately.
And once humidity hits my hair - those stupid waves get a little tighter, and harder to brush straight. *sigh*

If anything, when my hair's getting oily throughout the week - the waves get more pronounced, actually. My hair won't just hand straight when it's oily... it gets wavier and wavier. Is that crazy?

As it gets longer, they strech out into bigger (fatter) waves. When my hair's shorter, the waves are smaller/tighter together... and more of them.

So does this info mean I'm mostly a 1C, then?? :confused:

StephanieB
October 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks, everyone, fopr the help! :D