PDA

View Full Version : Up or down

Kellylee
April 1st, 2017, 07:10 PM
Do you normally wear your hair up or down? I wear mine down almost everyday, but I see a lot of people on here normally wear theirs up. If you do wear your hair up is there any reason why?

dansyl
April 1st, 2017, 07:23 PM
Up. Almost always. My hair is pretty damaged so to keep it from getting worse I keep it up to protect from damage. Also... I get really hot with my hair down... but that happens even with a bob.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2017, 07:24 PM
It protects the ends from being wind blown, tangling and rubbing and catching on chair backs/general wear and tear type stuff and helps keep it in good condition to be able to grow longer and trimming is not needed so often for damage/split ends etc.

Plus there are so many different fun styles to try, too :)

PillowForts17
April 1st, 2017, 07:50 PM
My hair is currently a bit past collar bone length and I wear it down unless I'm at work. I wear it down because it seems that no matter what kind of hair ties I use (currently using the ribbon kind with almost no elastic) I get that banding which is just bad. When I'm working it makes more sense to wear it up because I move a lot of stuff around and I don't want it to get caught on anything and ripped out of my head.

vampyyri
April 1st, 2017, 07:52 PM
Up, as I would get really crude comments from work if I kept it down. I used to at WL, but the one time I was redoing a bun in the bathroom at work someone nearly lost it having not seen my hair down in 8+ months :lol:

I keep it up personally to keep tangles at bay, have it out of the way, and reduce oiliness (even though I scalp-only wash every other day... but better than every day). Once I reach my goal... I may just leave it down to mess with people :silly:

wo
April 1st, 2017, 08:14 PM
I only wear mine down and plan to continue that at any length. Well, I do tend to clip the front back, to get it out of my face. But I find, with my hair texture, smushing it into a bun causes horrible tangles and some single strand knots. I can't section it off for braiding either. So besides liking the way it looks down, nothing else is really practical for me anyway. I do use claw clips occasionally because the ends can still cascade loose from the clip, so they don't tangle.

Simsy
April 1st, 2017, 08:33 PM
My hair tangles like crazy in ponytails and gets dry and oily if left loose. So I keep it braided and wrapped around my head. I prefer it long since it's easier to handle; but it does mean I actually have to handle it.

Reyesuela
April 1st, 2017, 08:44 PM
Up. I did a S&D mission for the first time in FIVE YEARS--mind you, I've been getting a trim every 8 months or so, and my hair was only MBL, but still....--and I found about 30 split ends or white dots total in my hair. And it was a very, very thorough S&D mission. If I'd done this when I was still wearing my hair down, I could have found 30 in a small section every 2 months. Wearing hair up was my hair revolution for damage.

Groovy Granny
April 1st, 2017, 09:06 PM
I love half ups, ponytails, or barrettes in cooler weather... then wear it up in Summer heat.

It is always bunned under Winter hats and when cleaning.

MoonRabbit
April 1st, 2017, 10:03 PM
It's either up in a bun or in braids. Since reaching waist I've been wearing it up all the time.

I like to take some time to let my scalp rest each day. Whenever I'm just sitting around I let my hair down, drape it over the couch or where ever and just give it a little break.

Tosca
April 1st, 2017, 11:45 PM
Aside from protecting it, I mostly wear my hair up so it doesn't get in everything. I work with scissors a lot, and even a plait is too long and in danger of being accidentally cut shorter. Even bending over to pick something off the ground results in my hair getting tangled in my fingers, and tying my shoelaces can very easily result in my hair getting tied into the knot.

Wearing it down is for special occasions only, and even then I'll usually wear a head band and bring a stick with me.

littlestarface
April 2nd, 2017, 12:04 AM
Always up, even when it's braided its up around my head or in a braided bun.

Serimel
April 2nd, 2017, 12:21 AM
Before I joined lhc in the end of last year I only wore it down (except at work because not allowed). When I was studying proper hair care here I didn't know how I could switch from having my hair down to keeping it up most of the time. I hated my face and head shape in updos and felt that I lose some of my femininity if I don't wear it down. But as much as I hated how updos looked on me I hated the condition my long hair was even more so I started practicing braids and buns to save it from more damage. Updos also pretty well tame the frizz my natural hair texture has.

I've been here less than half a year but now I've come to a point that I've gotten more used to wearing it up than down. In fact, when I rarely have it down at home or outside I even get annoyed it being on the way, getting stuck into things and being tangled. Mostly I have it down when it's air drying. I've also started liking how I look with my hair up. I play with partings and my wispy front hair ( don't have bangs though but I have so much wisps that I can create a fake bang out of them ) to soften the look. I feel more elegant and polished when I have my hair up in a nice way and put some lipstick on than have it float freely around. I feel unique for using hair toys that majority of the people don't have a clue about. I gladly educate them about hair toys and hair in general when I get asked about them and I get a lot of oohs and aahs. :D Also I like the fact that as I'm wearing my hair up it has become like a precious secret of mine. I don't need anyone seeing my hair, it's enough I know it's there and it's mine to enjoy whenever I want (and a few chosen ones like my dh).

Hairkay
April 2nd, 2017, 12:28 AM
Pre LHC I wore it down. Now I mostly wear it up. I'd had a lot of hair breakage at the ends due to hair rubbing on my shoulders and top back. Hair ends tend to get dry easily so any friction and they're gone. That's why my hair got stuck at BSL for many years. Since I've been wearing it up and using hair masks to help the hair ends I've managed to retain more length.

Siri
April 2nd, 2017, 01:09 AM
I mostly always wear my waist length hair in a ponytail. I don't wear it completely down because I can't stand it hanging around my face and around my neck.

Crystawni
April 2nd, 2017, 01:52 AM
Up, up and awaaaaay in the heat of the day. Just about every day unless it's drying. It gets too hot, sticky and webby if it's down, and can get in the way a little too much. For me, it's a better option than having it short, hot and sticky while not being able to do anything to alleviate that. And tangles and knots from the wind, careless handling, and accidents (long hair can get you into trouble) are no fun. The best bit is, I have a hoard of gorgeous hairtoys that make my updos fast, easy and stylishly different. So really, my hairtoys make me do it. :p :)

Buddug
April 2nd, 2017, 01:58 AM
Up! I am growing out my bleached, very damaged hair, and I don't like the look of having two hair colors. So I'm keeping it up because it looks better, and it keeps my ends from getting damaged any further.

Aphra
April 2nd, 2017, 05:06 AM
English side braid, or two english side braids Wednesday Addams style. It's my compromise between down (generally comfier, except on the days it decides not to be, but much more prone to tangling, greasing up, damage and generally getting in the way), and up in a bun (optimal for convenience and protection, except every back of the head style except for a pulled through pony-tail at the nape, currently gives me a headache, and I've had to stop doing my beloved Edwardian topknots as both octopus clips and spin pins are bruising my silly EDS scalp, even if I think I've put them in so they aren't touching it). I can't do french or dutch braids, or even a back of the head English braid due to my equally silly EDS arms, so the good old fashioned English braid is my saviour. Fortunately I like how it looks!

Juanita
April 2nd, 2017, 05:29 AM
Up mostly. Because it's hot and humid so my hair drives me crazy if it's down. Up at work otherwise it likes to check out dyepots, paint, glue or what ever things we are teaching. It also loves to mess with my crochet getting crocheted along with my yarn.

ephemeri
April 2nd, 2017, 06:28 AM
Mechanical damage from your ends rubbing on everything while your hair is down is a very real thing! Also for safety purposes, it's better to have it up somehow, else hair can get caught in doors, under purse/bag straps, and god knows where else.

I generally do a side english braid for work and spin pin buns at home. It's only ever out and about when it's drying after S&C.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2017, 07:01 AM
Up when I'm up. Down when I sleep.

My hair is hip+, so I don't want the bother of it being in everything and I want it contained, so I wear it up in a LWB everyday with just about the same fork.

Saldana
April 2nd, 2017, 08:34 AM
I usually wear it either in a full updo, or in a braid, unless I'm at home. Reasons - to protect it, to keep the ends from tangling, and to keep it from getting in my way. :)

Aunty Miki
April 2nd, 2017, 11:25 AM
Up in different styles in daytime and down while I sleep.

Aredhel
April 2nd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Up whenever I'm at work and usually when I'm at home... also wear it up to sleep. I usually only wear my hair down on the first (and sometimes second) day of my wash, also because I usually just spend those 2 days at home anyway, so there isn't any wind or clothing that my hair can get tangled up and ripped out by.

I used to wear it down all the time before I realized the amount of damage that it was causing, especially at such lengths.

draysmir
April 2nd, 2017, 12:05 PM
I would usually wear my hair down for almost half the week, and have it up the rest of the week. I only wash my hair once a week, and I find oily hair in my face is quite annoying so I put it up once it feels a bit greasy, usually that's day 3 or 4. Recently, I've been wearing my hair up everyday because I want to avoid more damage, and so I can't obsess over the length as much :p Ideally, I would like to wear my hair down once or twice a week, and up for the rest of the week once I reach my goal length, or at least once I trim out enough damage.

hayheadsbird
April 3rd, 2017, 06:21 AM
Mostly up, either bunned or sometimes braided. Very occasionally a half up. It's down to dry after washing. Wearing it up keeps it out of my face and away, but lets me do more interesting things with it than just a headband or a ponytail. I like playing with my hair, so if it's up in something solid that will stay all day I'm less likely to fiddle with it, and less manipulation lets me stretch washing slightly. There's also the protection factor. I do like wearing it down, but it's long enough now that it gets in the way and can be annoying.

Stevy
April 3rd, 2017, 09:10 AM
Up about 80% of the time. Otherwise it grabs things and makes a nuisance of itself. Also if I wear it down when I'm out and about, sometimes people start touching it, and I'm a private sort of person and don't like that.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2017, 10:02 AM
With hair at about shoulder-blade length and longer, I almost always wore it up because it bothered me otherwise. It was always getting caught on or under things, like the strap of my purse. It was hot, it fell forward over my face, and tangled into knots at the nape of my neck. At collarbone length now, I wear it down most of the time, although when I am cleaning house or gardening, I braid it very snugly to keep it out of my face and off my neck.

Fia
April 3rd, 2017, 11:14 AM
Up, except for moments like now when it's down and airdrying after a wash. Up because it protects hair a lot better than keeping it down and with my aim to see how long it can get before it stops growing health and practicality takes precedence over pretty much everything else. I still get my daily moments of hair down though when I brush it in the evening.

marvel-lover
April 3rd, 2017, 12:43 PM
Up for a multitude of reasons. First, when I'm at work, every time I tried to leave my hair down in the past, I've always had to jump in to rescue someone. I also work with young kiddos with special needs, and one of my wonderful kiddos can sometimes become violent and pull hair. Mostly, though, I just don't really like it in my face, and I'm terrified of it getting tangled and damaged and breaking.

Anje
April 3rd, 2017, 01:39 PM
In all honestly, I've worn mine up or ponytailed nearly every day since I figured out how to do it myself in about 2nd grade. And figured out that I could do wit with less pain than letting my mom do it. So yeah, I wear it up because it's more comfortable for my hair to be out of my face, with protecting my hair only being a secondary consideration for how I wear it up. For the first time ever, right now it's short and I don't have to do anything to keep my hair out of the way -- I'm enjoying that and still find it bizarre at the same time. I expect that when I decide to grow it long again (pretty inevitable), I'm going to have an interesting time fighting to keep it away from my face.

Mlarmour
April 3rd, 2017, 01:56 PM
It's down most the time as it's only really shoulder length. However for work, sleeping or when I'm hunched over then it's tied back.

Dark40
April 3rd, 2017, 02:10 PM
I always wear my hair up in a ponytail at home but when I go outdoors I always wear it down.

SplitMends
April 3rd, 2017, 02:20 PM
Up because my hair has no weight and flies around like mad in the British weather!

Stub
April 3rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
In a braid every day in summer, to keep it out of my face. Bunned in winter to fit under a knit hat.

In all honestly, I've worn mine up or ponytailed nearly every day since I figured out how to do it myself in about 2nd grade. And figured out that I could do wit with less pain than letting my mom do it. So yeah, I wear it up because it's more comfortable for my hair to be out of my face, with protecting my hair only being a secondary consideration for how I wear it up. For the first time ever, right now it's short and I don't have to do anything to keep my hair out of the way -- I'm enjoying that and still find it bizarre at the same time. I expect that when I decide to grow it long again (pretty inevitable), I'm going to have an interesting time fighting to keep it away from my face.

Anje, I've buzzed my hair several times. Whenever I start growing it out again I find a buff (you can get packs of super cheap ones on Amazon) work wonders for keeping hair out of the face until you can ponytail it all. Way better than ball caps and cooler too, in summer. I always LOVE the feeling of no hair at first, but inevitably I grow it out again. :)