PDA

View Full Version : Best wooden comb?

tiffxcii
April 1st, 2017, 03:51 PM
I'm new here and have slowly been swapping out tools from my current hair care routine to help fight frizz. I've been using the CWC method for a few weeks which has worked wonders so far. My hair feels softer and I have definitely seen an improvement in the frizziness. I noticed towel drying was making my hair frizz up so I tried air drying but hated the feeling of wet hair on my back lol. So, I purchased the Aquis Turban which was suggested somewhere on TLHC site. I still haven't tried it but I have high expectations :bounce::bounce:

So to my actual question: I've been using a standard plastic comb which I know causes static and frizz so I'm looking to try a wooden comb. I've seen a lot online through amazon but don't know which to trust. Any suggestion on a durable wide tooth wooden comb? I'm willing to invest for the sake of my hair but I can't afford anything TOO pricey.

SeRe
April 1st, 2017, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry, I bought mine when I was overseas. I use a wooden comb a lot and I'm so happy with it.

I'm sure you can find something online. I'm sorry that I've been no help.

Arctic
April 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM
TEK large size wooden combs are the best I've seen so far. Body shop wooden comb is nice too.

Aredhel
April 1st, 2017, 04:17 PM
I use this one (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/237866081/), and I'm honestly super happy with it. It's very solid, perfect shape and size for my hand (I'm not really into handled brushes or combs because they offer me less control), very smooth, and durable. Didn't break bank either. No complaints from me. :)

SplitMends
April 1st, 2017, 04:44 PM
I was looking for one too - never actually bought one as I wasn't sure which ones were ethical or how to check.

Bubblebeam
April 1st, 2017, 06:26 PM
I use this one (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/237866081/), and I'm honestly super happy with it. It's very solid, perfect shape and size for my hand (I'm not really into handled brushes or combs because they offer me less control), very smooth, and durable. Didn't break bank either. No complaints from me. :)

These look so pretty. Bookmarking the seller for later. Definitely tempted by the handled wide tooth comb. Is it true the wood retains a nice smell?

Aredhel
April 3rd, 2017, 03:49 PM
These look so pretty. Bookmarking the seller for later. Definitely tempted by the handled wide tooth comb. Is it true the wood retains a nice smell?

I've had it for a couple months now and the nice wood smell is still there! :)

cactus89
April 3rd, 2017, 09:17 PM
I second the Body Shop comb. I actually have two: one since high school (over a decade) and another because I briefly thought I lost the former (then found it). Gentle, great for detangling, and have really helped me detangle my strands through many a growth period.

Groovy Granny
April 4th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I bought this Sandalwood Comb (https://www.amazon.com/Breezelike-Wooden-Hair-Comb-Premium/dp/B00MR0PPKG) and loved it so much I got a second comb for my bedroom.
If your search Amazon you may find other style options/prices.

Reyesuela
April 4th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I just bought a friction free comb instead:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cricket+friction+free+comb&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=177646142154&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17328248660114904324&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007720&hvtargid=kwd-3843833882&ref=pd_sl_8ce48szl59_b&gclid=Cj0KEQjwiI3HBRDv0q_qhqXZ-N4BEiQAOTiCHtIME55Y7X7Wi_392yaBMhb5AB_a35PGm-qius-B-7UaArR48P8HAQ

Anje
April 4th, 2017, 11:41 AM
The Body Shop has sold a very nice one for a long time. I'd recommend that if you want one you can buy locally. https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-us/hair/brushes-and-combs/detangling-comb/p/p000789

tiffxcii
April 4th, 2017, 07:30 PM
TEK large size wooden combs are the best I've seen so far. Body shop wooden comb is nice too.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. This is definitely the type of comb I was looking for 👍🏼 I went on the Tek website and noticed they have brushes too, have you ever tried them?

tiffxcii
April 4th, 2017, 07:36 PM

Wow! That is a beautiful comb :crush::heartbeat
Debating between this and the Tek comb

Arctic
April 5th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestion. This is definitely the type of comb I was looking for ���� I went on the Tek website and noticed they have brushes too, have you ever tried them?

Yes I have, I have the rectangular paddle brush with normal length pins (they also sell brushes with extra long pins for very thick hair). It's been the best brush I have, I even started a thread about it called Brushing with clouds or something like that :D They are hand made and all parts are wood, not bamboo. Each part are very high quality and smooth, and there is no snagging at all.

Just so I won't sound too much like a selling pitch, I recently received 3 TEK combs as a birthday present, a big wood coloured one and 2 small coloured ones. The big was the finest quality comb I've ever seen, so nice in every way (I took one that is half wide tooth, half normal/slightly finer tooth). The deep red small comb was lovely too, although the colour does seem to impact the surface texture the slightest bit and it's not quite as amazing as the big was. I still am in love with it too as it looks so pretty on my bathroom counter. However the fuhcsia coloured small comb was not of the quality I expected. It had clearly rougher surface. Not rough enough to snag and I don't think it's damaging, but certainly not the same smoothness as the big or even the red, small one. I simply didn't fit the quality requirements I expected. I decided not to return it as they were gifts and my gifter would have been upset, so I kept the observation to myself and made the fuchsia a hand bag comb. I guess I could sand it but a) I don't expect to have to sand combs of this price range and b) since it's coloured, I don't think sanding will make it look good.

So based on my experience I would go for the bigger and/or non-coloured combs.

lapushka
April 5th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I have a Hercules Sägemann pocket WT comb and a Hairsense (volume) comb, it's also a WT comb. I like the resin ones as they can get wet without issue. Also there is Eternally In Amber on Etsy (now their own site) which sells pretty nice combs (a little too flimsy for my taste, but they might have gotten better, IDK).

SeaAnna
January 19th, 2018, 08:11 PM
I want one too! I just bought one on Amazon, my second. My first one cracked after a few weeks, and wasn’t smooth enough. Other than that, I liked it.

SeaAnna
January 20th, 2018, 09:32 AM
I want one too! I just bought one on Amazon, my second. My first one cracked after a few weeks, and wasn’t smooth enough. Other than that, I liked it.
Meta-C Portable Hair/Beard Comb/Pick – Made Of One Whole Piece Of Natural Green Sandal Wood With Fragrant Scent (Wide Tooth) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072V67S9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k12yAbXGHTHWK
I got this comb today, and I love it! It’s smooth and slightly scented as advertised. I used it right after my other cracked comb, and what a difference! It glides right through my hair. It’s small, but I actually like the size better than my other one, too. It comes in a nice red pouch, too. I’m sold on wooden combs, but quickly learned that some research is necessary when buying. My question is do you use them on wet hair? Some say yes, some say no. I know not to clean it with water, but is damp hair ok?