PDA

View Full Version : Stress and hair cutting

Obsidian
March 31st, 2017, 05:37 PM
Things have gotten very stressful lately with no immediate end in site, add that to some weird hormonal things I'm going through and not only am I experiencing shed, I'm fighting a severe desire to chop all my hair off.

I know most of the desire to chop is stress related but I'm also starting to hate my henna, its making me feel not like me anymore. I've been unhappy with the color for sometime but am failing at growing it out and feel stuck with it, that makes me feel even worse.

I don't know whats worse, loosing my two years of progress from growing out a pixie or hating myself while slowing trimming out the red. Either way, I'm trying to resist cutting until I have at least 1-2 inches of virgin roots. Hopefully by then, I'll be over this mess and feel better.

PillowForts17
March 31st, 2017, 06:12 PM
I'm usually the type of person who gives in to her whims. I usually get bored really quickly and when I was growing my hair out for my wedding it took a lot of my husband telling me that if I cut my hair while I'm feeling this way then I'll deeply regret it later on. So, I'm trying to do this thing where if I suddenly start having a strong desire to cut or dye my hair then I have to wait a month (at minimum) to see how I feel then. If I still really want to then I'll reevaluate at that point. Impulse control has been my strongest detractor for my hair.

EliseMarie
March 31st, 2017, 06:26 PM
When you are stressed out it is usually because of circumstances beyond your control. An act like cutting one's hair can seem empowering because you are in control and are changing something about yourself at will. It can even feel defiant.

I would advise to just decide how you can best be successful with getting virgin hair (if that is what you are doing?). For me, I knew that I couldn't stop coloring so it was to my advantage to start fresh now rather than trying to grow it out slowly and being tempted to just keep getting highlights or dying over because I know myself and I am super picky and can't deal with the look of roots. So instead, I can deal with the awkward grow out stages. I am getting pretty good at it, LOL.

sumidha
March 31st, 2017, 06:48 PM
You could possibly mess around with deposit only dyes to soothe the urge a little bit? They would change the henna color, and theoretically wash out of the virgin hair at some point in the future...

Qadupae
April 1st, 2017, 12:53 AM
Would it help to get extensions or new hair toys so you have something new to do with your hair and thus have a different form of change to channel through? Just throwing ideas out there

Obsidian
April 1st, 2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the support. I'm feeling better today and my hair is still intact:)

dansyl
April 1st, 2017, 07:31 PM
Stress cutting... something I know all too well. I'm glad you are feeling better.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2017, 09:30 AM
Things have gotten very stressful lately with no immediate end in site, add that to some weird hormonal things I'm going through and not only am I experiencing shed, I'm fighting a severe desire to chop all my hair off.

I know most of the desire to chop is stress related but I'm also starting to hate my henna, its making me feel not like me anymore. I've been unhappy with the color for sometime but am failing at growing it out and feel stuck with it, that makes me feel even worse.

I don't know whats worse, loosing my two years of progress from growing out a pixie or hating myself while slowing trimming out the red. Either way, I'm trying to resist cutting until I have at least 1-2 inches of virgin roots. Hopefully by then, I'll be over this mess and feel better.

I didn't want to say anything when you were still *so happy* with coloring your hair, but... I was there at one point and had to chop back to chin twice because of hair dyes and disasters happening to me because of it - needless to say, it never grew long.

Maybe try to calm down some, breathe, and join the microtrimming thread, and the grow-out thread, so you'll have a purpose and a plan. And of course, *lots* of support!