PDA

View Full Version : Could use some styling help please :)

kickrz22
March 31st, 2017, 10:10 AM
I am going for no heat and minimal product.

Normally I wash, towel dry, heat protector and then use my hair dryer followed by my flat iron.
My hair is not curly and not straight but a weird mix of both. I use to put gel/mousse in it and scrunch the heck out of it to go curly but not sure if product/scrunching is wise anymore.

Today is day 1 without heat and I am lost :(
Washed it, conditioned it and now here I sit with my fizzy broomstick hair.

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 10:14 AM
First of all.. you can do this! I used to straighten my hair every time but now can go without.

Tips that have helped me out...

1. Wash with cool water.
2. Don't use a regular towel. I use a microfiber towel but you can use a t shirt.
3. Don't touch it while it is drying.
4. Find a good leave in. I like it's a 10 and argan oil.

It will take a while. Your hair will rebel for a month or so... but you can do it! Good luck!

kickrz22
March 31st, 2017, 10:19 AM
First of all.. you can do this! I used to straighten my hair every time but now can go without.

Tips that have helped me out...

1. Wash with cool water.
2. Don't use a regular towel. I use a microfiber towel but you can use a t shirt.
3. Don't touch it while it is drying.
4. Find a good leave in. I like it's a 10 and argan oil.

It will take a while. Your hair will rebel for a month or so... but you can do it! Good luck!

Thank you! I have to do this!! I will do this!!

Washed with cool water today so check!
Microfiber towel - on the list :)
I dried it and just kind of finger combed it ( wide tooth comb is also on the list)

And then just leave it? I look like a fuzzy broomstick...lol

Once it's dry then what can I do to make it look a little more presentable? I don't want to scare the children!

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 10:23 AM
once it's dry... I throw a little more leave in on to tame it down. I use "it's a 10".

Katia_k
March 31st, 2017, 10:24 AM
Is it long enough to put up? (sorry if you have a pic that explains this, I can't see them). If you can tuck it into a bun or something that always works. Otherwise, what about taming it with a bit of gel for the day, until you get the tools like the towel and comb to control it?

Sorry not very inspired advice. I'm a librarian in my soul and just live in a low bun...

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 10:25 AM
Just be patient and it will pay off in the end... I promise!

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 10:26 AM
Thank you! I have to do this!! I will do this!!

Washed with cool water today so check!
Microfiber towel - on the list :)
I dried it and just kind of finger combed it ( wide tooth comb is also on the list)

And then just leave it? I look like a fuzzy broomstick...lol

Once it's dry then what can I do to make it look a little more presentable? I don't want to scare the children!

My hair will curl with some gel but i don't like the feeling of product in my hair. Just play around with it and find what feels best to you. :blossom:

kickrz22
March 31st, 2017, 10:37 AM
Is it long enough to put up? (sorry if you have a pic that explains this, I can't see them). If you can tuck it into a bun or something that always works. Otherwise, what about taming it with a bit of gel for the day, until you get the tools like the towel and comb to control it?

Sorry not very inspired advice. I'm a librarian in my soul and just live in a low bun...

I could but it would be the tiniest bun..lol. My hair is so thin I can't even make much of a pony tail -- looks more like a rat tail.
Plus breakage is my main issue so putting it up would be more stress I think.

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 10:40 AM
I could but it would be the tiniest bun..lol. My hair is so thin I can't even make much of a pony tail -- looks more like a rat tail.

Do you have a pic of your hair? keeping mine up has saved mine.

bparnell75
March 31st, 2017, 10:45 AM
If your hair is almost shoulder length it can be put into a Gibson tuck which is elegant and only needs a pin or two to hold but can be made fancy with some clips or barrettes.
Also try half ups and small double buns. If it is too short for these used head bands to tame it. Here are a couple of tutorials for short hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rK7xYvxW74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtS9oBpW9w

lapushka
March 31st, 2017, 11:18 AM
I use the LOC/LCO method for styling after washing. It helps retain moisture in the hair and it also tames down the frizz. There's a link to the method in my signature, but basically you put a leave-in in your hair, a serum on the ends, and either a gel/mousse/cream in it to "scrunch" the wave or curl in.

Anje
March 31st, 2017, 11:23 AM

Don't worry about it for the moment, but consider investing in a few claw clips or similar. That way you can put it up once it grows a little and it doesn't require pulling it too tight. (In any case, if you put it up and it hurts, take it down and redo it. Pulling isn't good for much besides causing headaches anyway, and you won't do yourself any favors by styling too tightly.) Chances are that with some changes in how you care for it, your hair will get considerably thicker and a nicer texture, but it's a long haul effort.

Rebel Rebel
March 31st, 2017, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to add that you might want to try a silicone/coney conditioner if you're not already. It might give a little extra shine and help a bit with the frizz.

Kellylee
March 31st, 2017, 12:43 PM
I would try a oil or leave in. Look on YouTube for heatless waves/curls. Braiding slightly damp hair and sleeping on it will give nice waves. But for frizz try a oil, just a tiny bit. I use moroccan oil but there are great cheaper alternatives. It may take time and trial and error but once you find what works for you, you won't even miss heat

kickrz22
March 31st, 2017, 12:51 PM
Was looking into the Live Clean line and possible this --

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/live-clean-exotic-nectar-argan-oil-leave-in-conditioning-spray/6000100601657?cmpid=sem_pla_google_en_none_6000100 601657_100056000195305334600019531176141470_1146&gclid=CPe37aW0gdMCFZKDaQodryEJ3w

proo
March 31st, 2017, 03:05 PM
Perhaps try wrapping it when 85% dry-
the method of wrapping the hair around your head smoothly then covering it with a silky scarf till dry.
It can also be done on completely dry hair.
I love this method for smoothing/ conditioning my multi textured hair without product.
It's all over YouTube if you have questions.

Reyesuela
March 31st, 2017, 06:54 PM
You can manipulate hydrogen bonds in hair with just water. Wrap it while just damp into a curly or straight style and let your hair do its magic!

Ophidian
March 31st, 2017, 08:37 PM
You are not short of things to try, but I have a texture that isn't straight but doesn't do the pretty-waves thing if I try to leave it alone while it dries. I find that a little oil on damp hair definitely helps, but the biggest thing is braiding/bunning/wrapping it while it's still damp. This way it dries smooth, but without heat. Reyesuala basically just said this, but thought I'd mention it too.