PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Growth Spurts

likelikepenny
March 31st, 2017, 05:05 AM
There has been a lot of talk in the Random Hair Thoughts thread about seasonal growth spurts.

I've read hair only grows 10% faster during the summer compared to regular growth. However, I'm pretty sure this isn't true for everyone.

How long does your growth spurt last? Is it consistent? How much extra growth do you get?
What season do you get them? Summer? Winter?

Mods: If this is in the wrong place, please move it :)

Crystawni
March 31st, 2017, 05:13 AM
Even though my hair can have minor fits and starts according to my chart, it grows fairly consistently regardless of season, so no noticeable growth spurts (or stalls) for me.

Aredhel
March 31st, 2017, 05:27 AM
I've never really tracked or been attentive of my hair growth until this year so I can't say for sure yet. I usually just suddenly notice that my hair is a lot longer out of nowhere. :p That said though, I think my hair hasn't grown much this winter. I've also been meaning to try trimming at the next waxing moon to see if that helps at all.

spidermom
March 31st, 2017, 07:01 AM
Here's how mine averaged out when I kept records:
Winter: 3/4 inch
Spring: 1-1/4 inch
Summer: 2 inches
Autumn: 2 inches

Those figures are for the entire season (3 months). As you can see, my fastest-growing months were more than twice as fast as my slowest-growing months.

Decoy24601
March 31st, 2017, 08:18 AM
Well, I don't have a lot of data since I just joined last summer, but last summer my hair was growing consistently at 1.25" per month. Then it started slowing down drastically in mid fall, maybe .25" if I was lucky a month. By winter I was getting sometimes zero growth each month, sometimes less than .25".

I just started another growth spurt right at the start of spring and I'm on track to grow over 1" per month. It seems that my hair either almost doesn't grow at all, or grows super fast.

Tosca
March 31st, 2017, 08:41 AM
I've never measured my hair consistently enough to find a pattern, but with monthly trims back to classic planned for this year, I may well turn out to have growth spurts. I'm curious to find out if I do or not.

hayheadsbird
March 31st, 2017, 08:48 AM
From my measurements it looks like I had a spurt last spring, just as I joined. But I think it was an error as I had only just started to measure. Will be interesting to see if it happens again or I stick to my ~1cm a month

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 09:12 AM
I have random growth spurts for a few months at random times. Sometimes it's in the summer, sometimes in the winter. *shrugs*

Anje
March 31st, 2017, 11:27 AM
I don't tend to track my growth, but I can tell you that my hair doesn't grow at a steady pace. Sometimes it goes for a few months with little growth, other times it'll sprint. A few times, I've even gotten over an inch per month without trying to do anything. Right now I'm wearing it short and it doesn't seem to be growing especially fast, but the length makes it clear that the left side of my head is growing faster than the right (though I've never seen it get uneven in that way when it was hanging down long and going 6 months without a trim). Sometimes hair is just plain weird.

MoonRabbit
March 31st, 2017, 01:23 PM
I just joined the seasonal growth and I'll be tracking any spurts. My hair growth was pretty average this winter, and I think I do get a shed near summer.

Garnetgem
July 26th, 2017, 08:58 AM
My hair too seems to grow faster during the summer...not sure of measurement/speed but i do notice shorter strands grow and get in my face all the time during the summer but in winter its as if they are not growing they remain short..

PurpleKitty11
July 26th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I go through spring shedding every year then in the summer my hair grows much faster and slows back down in the winter

Reyn127
July 28th, 2017, 12:41 PM
I've only been tracking my growth for 8 months, so I don't even have a full year yet. But so far, it looks like my hair is growing slightly faster during spring/summer than it was during winter. It took me 4.5 months to grow the first two inches I tracked. But the next two inches after that only took 3.5 months., which I measured last night. I've never really paid attention to my growth (and have also been really scissor-happy in the past), so I'm excited to see what happens the rest of the year.

Renora25
July 28th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I think I am in the middle of a spurt. If I measured correctly, I have grown an inch in the past month. Which would be ridiculous!