PDA

View Full Version : How bad is hairspray?

Lisa-K
March 30th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Would you consider it merely a bit drying with no long term damage? Or super duper damaging and to be avoided at all costs?

Groovy Granny
March 30th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I use Garnier Anti-humidity spray with no ill effects on my fine silver.
It has a natural hold and no residue.

I only use it for wild halo days :wink:

Shea moisture also has 'silken hold' sprays that are mostly oils, but they do have a fragrance; I love the peace rose mist.

Aunty Miki
March 30th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Great question! I've been wondering about this since my new growth halo is coming in quite course and wiry. Looks like pubic hair and needs control badly. I'm sure it'll be better when it's longer and weighed down a bit.

Anje
March 30th, 2017, 12:14 PM
My gut says that the brushing out is more damaging than the hairspray itself. Sure, it's probably a bit drying, but ripping the little glue welds off your hair at the end is sure to cause cuticle damage and perhaps eventual weak spots. I normally don't use it, but last time I had a formal thing that ended up with my hair drenched in hairspray (and over 60 bobby pins), I just went straight for the shampoo before making any attempt to comb and my hair came out of it completely fine.

If I were doing it more, I might look at sugar sprays (which should rinse out, unlike acrylates). But for infrequent use, I can't imagine it's a big deal.

PillowForts17
March 30th, 2017, 12:16 PM
With my hair, hairspray always seems to make the hair stick together and they don't come apart unless I actually physically pull them apart or through washing the hairspray out. I never use it because of this, but that could just be my hair.

*Wednesday*
March 30th, 2017, 12:20 PM
I only use hairspray on special occasions if I need some hold.

If it has alcohol can be drying to hair. Hairspray that has "mega", "super" or "all day" hold will be like glue with some brands. Definate hair breakage if trying to comb or brush when it is in the hair.
Even shampoo is damaging to hair. Hair spray has the same potential.

Groovy Granny
March 30th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I use Garnier Anti-humidity spray with no ill effects on my fine silver.
It has a natural hold with no residue
I only use it for wild halo days :wink:

Shea moisture also has 'silken hold' sprays that are mostly oils, but they do have a fragrance; I love the peace rose mist.

My gut says that the brushing out is more damaging than the hairspray itself. Sure, it's probably a bit drying, but ripping the little glue welds off your hair at the end is sure to cause cuticle damage and perhaps eventual weak spots. I normally don't use it, but last time I had a formal thing that ended up with my hair drenched in hairspray (and over 60 bobby pins), I just went straight for the shampoo before making any attempt to comb and my hair came out of it completely fine.

If I were doing it more, I might look at sugar sprays (which should rinse out, unlike acrylates). But for infrequent use, I can't imagine it's a big deal.

The product I use is not like 'glue'....my hair is not dry.....and there is no ripping :tmi:

My hair has no damage...I don't even get splits.

You can't see or feel it in my hair...so perhaps 'brushing out' was the wrong term to use; I edited my post to say 'no residue'.

My hair feels natural and clean when I use it ....and I use it rarely :shrug:

Anje
March 30th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Sorry GG, I'm mostly familiar with acrylate-based sprays. Apparently you're using something gentler.

Lisa-K
March 30th, 2017, 12:41 PM
The product I use is not like 'glue'....my hair is not dry.....and there is no ripping :tmi:

My hair has no damage...I don't even get splits. :shrug:

You can't see or feel it in my hair...so perhaps 'brushing out' was the wrong term to use; I edited my post to say 'no residue'.

My hair feels natural and clean when I use it ....and I use it rarely :shrug:

What hairspray do you use exactly?

And wow, sugar sprays? I had never heard of that!

Groovy Granny
March 30th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Sorry GG, I'm mostly familiar with acrylate-based sprays. Apparently you're using something gentler.

In the past I know my Mother used heavy stuff and her hair could stand up to hurricane force winds :p
Maybe that is what you mean? You HAD to brush it out...and could see the coating on her hair!!

She applied layer after layer...day after day.... only washed it weekly :thud: and she paid the price with a huge bald spot in the back of her head :(

What hairspray do you use exactly?

Garnier Sleek and Shine Anti-Humidity (https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Sleek-Aerosol-Hairspray/dp/B017WOATRU/ref=pd_sbs_194_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=ZT43NTTB8X6QH8MQTMGM)

I expect heavy use of any product has the potential to do damage, but I hate gunky hair....and a light mist of this does the trick without any ill effects, or visible signs of it being in my hair.

I have no clue about ingredients....but use the least amount needed.

school of fish
March 30th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I've recently gone back to hairspray after 3 years of hair rehab and virtually no product beyond shampoo/conditioner. I've been super surprised that there's no gunky feeling or stickiness or glued strands this time around! I'm using a 'brushable' one and indeed it allows for brushing the way it claims, although I'm ultra, ultra careful about it.

Before, when my hair was incurring damage from various sources, I was using a hairspray for performance and indeed it was sticky and gluey - I'm sure that brushing that through was damaging. It was one of the Giovanni ones, can't remember which one. The one I'm using now is l'Oreal Elnett, and its texture really is weightless. I've been very pleasantly surprised!

I still only use hairspray for performance as a texturizer and to hold volume - I really don't need it otherwise, so I'm not using it for daily styling. I'm also a frequent washer so I don't give my hair much chance to build up, because it builds up so easily... the spray washes out easily with no extra effort.

So for me, the way I'm using it, no I don't feel that I'm taking on damage from hairspray :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 30th, 2017, 07:04 PM
I would imagine the damage comes with you trying to REMOVE the product. I would never try to comb or brush it out.