PDA

View Full Version : Short side hairs? How do you deal with them?

Bubblebeam
March 29th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Sorry if this is a common question or already asked recently. While a hairdresser once told me they see this quite often, I seldom see anyone with it myself.

So I've always had a group of hairs in front of my ears (or where sideburns would be on a man if that explains it better) that only ever grows to be 1-2 inches. It's always been something I'm conscious about. Sure, I can stick it behind my ears, but before I know it it'll be sticking out again. I've gone as far as snipping it off really short, but this doesn't quite look right either. I'm wondering, how do others deal with this (those that have it anyway)?

lucid
March 29th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I like them, and have actually cut some extra since I have very little of them naturally. I think it looks better on me when my hair is braided, it gives some face framing and it gives the hairstyle a soft look :) I actually think that most people have them to some degree, and I have yet to see a person that doesn't suite them.

If you don't like the way they look, maybe you could use something to make sure it stays behind your ears? I'm sure you'll get some product recommendations if you want.

Silverbleed
March 29th, 2017, 04:37 PM
I have them too, the ones in front of my ears never grow really long. Those above my ear do though. I don't have much of it, but my mother does have those sideburns, quite noticeable. She told me she never knows what to do with them, because they never grow long enough to join the rest of her hair. So she's always cut them short.
For me if I'd like to keep them behind my ears, it helps if I dry my hair that way so they stay in that shape. If your hair doesn't stay the same shape, I've found a boar bristle brush always helpful to brush the small hairs back.
I feel the same way about it as lucid, tho. I really like them and it looks kind of cute with an updo c:

meteor
March 29th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I just ignore them or sleek them back with damp hands. They usually only stick out when my hair is freshly washed or when it's windy. If I just wear a silky scarf over a bun for a while and then remove it, those hairs usually stay smooth and pretty much in place, unless it's windy or I'm exercising or something.

ETA: When my hair was shorter overall, those hairs used to stick out more, so I did buns starting with a small English braid at mohawk section - kind of like simplified Ellingwoman braided bun or I'd do a small half-up with a claw-clip and then bun the hair after.

lizardspots
March 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I have those little hairs, and I rather like them - they get a bit wild and wispy, but I don't mind. You could try using something like aloe era gel to slick them smooth if you don't like them?

Siri
March 29th, 2017, 04:59 PM
I've tried using clips, bobby pins, hair spray etc to hold them back but nothing works so I just let them be. I really don't like them because they give my hair a messy look but haven't found anything that controls them.

Bubblebeam
March 29th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I've tried using clips, bobby pins, hair spray etc to hold them back but nothing works so I just let them be. I really don't like them because they give my hair a messy look but haven't found anything that controls them.

This is my problem too. I see why many people are saying they like the look, if the hair just sits nicely against your head, but mine pokes out and curls and just looks bleh.

Obsidian
March 29th, 2017, 05:18 PM
I just let them be. I actually prefer them to a slicked back edge which looks too harsh on me.

bparnell75
March 29th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Sorry if this is a common question or already asked recently. While a hairdresser once told me they see this quite often, I seldom see anyone with it myself.

So I've always had a group of hairs in front of my ears (or where sideburns would be on a man if that explains it better) that only ever grows to be 1-2 inches. It's always been something I'm conscious about. Sure, I can stick it behind my ears, but before I know it it'll be sticking out again. I've gone as far as snipping it off really short, but this doesn't quite look right either. I'm wondering, how do others deal with this (those that have it anyway)?

I just trim mine and make what used to be called spit curls. I put some gel and twist them toward my face, so they kinda curve when dry. If I am feeling fancy I do a pin curl, clip it and let it dry. It adds a little softness to the face. I have a very round face so need a little softening.

Reyesuela
March 29th, 2017, 08:58 PM
They're getting long now that my hair is a crack addict on anti hair loss drugs. But coconut oil works great.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2017, 09:25 PM
I mostly ignore mine. When I want to get fancy I make spit curls :)

Groovy Granny
March 29th, 2017, 09:31 PM
I use a BBB and spritz of hairspray if I want a sleek look; otherwise I do a pin curl to form a spiral, and use spray or a teesy bit of gel to set it.

When I have an entire halo of new growth... I just let it be :shrug:

Borgessa
March 29th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Mine does exactly the same thing, and I smooth it out, have run a Boar brush through it, to smooth them out, I do hate product in my hair other than my leave in conditioners. So i'm all smooth and looking good, got my nice bun in off i go. Whilst i'm on my travels and inevitably have to use a bathroom due to the medication that my doctor prescribes me. So 5 mins after leaving the house I have to use a facility, whilst washing my hands I notice in the mirror that's always in a bathroom, my hair is a frizzy mess. All those little hairs that your talking about, that I painstakingly put away and smoothed out, are now standing to attention in every-which way but down. They are not cute EVER. They DO not fall gently down my face framing it ever so delicately. No I look like Albert Einstein except HE rocks it better than I do..

I feel your pain!

yvsa
March 30th, 2017, 02:01 AM
So I've always had a group of hairs in front of my ears (or where sideburns would be on a man if that explains it better) that only ever grows to be 1-2 inches. It's always been something I'm conscious about.

Yes, i have them too. And like you; only 1-2 inches. Most people have sideburns but almost always longer then mine. So i feel your pain:justy:.

Reyesuela
March 30th, 2017, 04:18 AM
Mine does exactly the same thing, and I smooth it out, have run a Boar brush through it, to smooth them out, I do hate product in my hair other than my leave in conditioners. So i'm all smooth and looking good, got my nice bun in off i go. Whilst i'm on my travels and inevitably have to use a bathroom due to the medication that my doctor prescribes me. So 5 mins after leaving the house I have to use a facility, whilst washing my hands I notice in the mirror that's always in a bathroom, my hair is a frizzy mess. All those little hairs that your talking about, that I painstakingly put away and smoothed out, are now standing to attention in every-which way but down. They are not cute EVER. They DO not fall gently down my face framing it ever so delicately. No I look like Albert Einstein except HE rocks it better than I do..

I feel your pain!

The best is when your glasses are making them stick straight up and you didn't notice.

Borgessa
March 30th, 2017, 04:38 AM
The best is when your glasses are making them stick straight up and you didn't notice.
Oh yes, this too!

unheardletters
March 30th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Mine are about 2" long and they wrap around my entire hairline and they literally stick straight out. It's a very weird looking wingy halo around my entire head! It looks absolutely horrible which is why I wear my hair down. I should take a picture of it sometime, but it looks too freaky for me to even look at myself.

Blondie926
March 30th, 2017, 08:02 AM
I find that sleeping on a silk/satin pillow case helps them not stick out so much. I recently got new cotton sheets and tried to use the pillow case that came with it. I immediately noticed them sticking out horribly the next day. Switched back to my old silky pillow case. Hope this helps a little

lithostoic
March 30th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I honestly thought everyone had that haha. I don't do anything to them.

Mrstran
March 30th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Mine I keep tucked behind my ears. They are very out of place looking tight spiral curls.

lapushka
March 30th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Yes I have them too; perfectly normal in case you were worried or wondering.

There's a whole club dedicated to these "wispy hairs":
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

draysmir
March 30th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Mine grow the longest to my chin, the ones around my temple grow to my nose/mouth. Whenever I try to slick them back, they end up bouncing back and curling up. I like to call them my "antennas", since that's kind of what they look like when that happens. :p I have a lot of baby hairs (not sure why), so its really noticeable if I try to slick them back and it fails LOL. I usually just pull them out from my updo, they're not actually ever secured in them just kinda chillin you know, and I make them lie flat down my face. They're less curly and flicky this way, if I just embrace them and let them be, rather than trying to force them into my updo or just behind my ears.

vampyyri
March 30th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Mine grow along with the rest of my hair and get tucked up into my buns and braids.

Hairkay
March 30th, 2017, 10:43 AM
I've got them. Mine make tight 0s and Ss. I talked about them here.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138211

Bubblebeam
March 30th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Mine grow along with the rest of my hair and get tucked up into my buns and braids.

Lucky duck!

lapushka
March 30th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Sometimes I tuck them behind the ears of my glasses - hey it works (for about a minute, then they pop back out). LOL! :lol:

Bubblebeam
March 30th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Sometimes I tuck them behind the ears of my glasses - hey it works (for about a minute, then they pop back out). LOL! :lol:

That's if they haven't already all been plucked out by your glasses handles! Lost so many strands to that, lol.

Reyesuela
April 1st, 2017, 10:20 PM
That's if they haven't already all been plucked out by your glasses handles! Lost so many strands to that, lol.

My new glasses don't eat hair AT ALL. EVER. It's...weird.

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 03:18 PM
The worst thing I have done is put hair gel on them hoping to "stick" them to the rest of my hair... alas they became hard antennas sticking out even more... So I just use bobby pins...

Larki
July 5th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Mine are permanently about 7 or 8 inches long (except when I end up yanking them out from trich...during finals my freshman year of college, I yanked the whole thing out in one go on my right side and drew blood...). They can be easily coaxed into curling for updos or they are also long enough to be put up or incorporated into a french braid.

Groovy Granny
July 5th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I use a BBB and spritz of hairspray if I want a sleek look; otherwise I do a pin curl to form a spiral, and use spray or a teensy bit of gel to set it.

When I have an entire halo of new growth... I just let it be :shrug:

Lately using texture cream has helped in blending them into the rest of my hair,and I am keeping my hair looser around my face vs slicking it back behind my ears on the 'wayward wispy days' :wink:.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 5th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I have this issue too but my hairs can grow longer they just cant because for some reason these hairs tend to be dry-er and more fine than the rest. So they break off or get caught in my glasses. They bother me but I try to just not focus on them. They are all the hair above my ears and my side burns too. Meh.

Simsy
July 5th, 2017, 06:02 PM
I do a thin braid along each side of my face round to about the ears, right on the hairline. Once all the small strands are caught, I run those braids into whatever style I'm doing for that day.

A few weeks of this and they are usually long enough to graduate to the big braid.